Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 The ..I AM.. meditation and astral music
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chiron

Russia
397 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2005 :  02:29:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Greetings brothers and sisters.

Teacher Yogani; I have a few astral songs which have been composed by a meditation master and I am wondering if the ..I AM.. meditation is compatible with that sort of music? Some songs have alot to do with the purification process. And since the ..I AM.. meditation has alot to do with the purification process can I combine the two? Or must this meditation be practiced in silence? I find that the songs help me concentrate on the task at hand and I figure its better to hear the music than the noises from adjacent rooms (I do not live alone and the TV is on most of the time).

Warm regards,
Chiron

Edited by - aypmod2 on Nov 28 2005 05:13:19 AM

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2005 :  2:54:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Chiron:

No, music is not recommended to be intentionally used during deep meditation. It can divide the mind and impede the process of attention going beyond the mind to inner silence. Here are a couple of lessons that discuss it further -- covering all sensory inputs introduced intentionally in deep meditation that can divide our attention in practice:

http://www.aypsite.org/37.html
http://www.aypsite.org/31.html

This does not mean we can't meditate with inner or outer stimuli present. The procedure of easily favoring the mantra when we realize we are off into thoughts, feelings or sensations takes care of this. But we do not intentionally introduce stimuli into our awareness.

With good deep meditation, according to the simple procedures of practice, we will benefit even more when listening to the music afterward, as discussed in the second question here:

http://www.aypsite.org/161.html

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Chiron

Russia
397 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2005 :  03:45:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for you answer Yogani. I have stopped listening to music during the meditation and I'll do it only before/after meditation.

"However, we do not go sit outdoors on a mountaintop for the purpose of meditating. It's much better to be in the cabin where it is quiet and subdued. Then we can meditate, go inward, with the least stimulation of the outer senses." Is it preferable then to meditate in a dark room instead of a bright one when possible?

I am doing this meditation in Virasana. Right now I can sit in it for 19 minutes. Once I am able to increase my sitting time and go past the 20 minute mark can I continue with the I AM meditation past the 20 minute mark or should I stop the I AM meditation and do some other meditation or can I even do some other meditation before/after? Must the I AM meditation be exactly 20 minutes or can I gradually increase it to say half an hour or an hour when I become comfortable in the asana?

Warm regards,
Chiron
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2005 :  09:32:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Chiron

I am doing this meditation in Virasana. Right now I can sit in it for 19 minutes. Once I am able to increase my sitting time and go past the 20 minute mark can I continue with the I AM meditation past the 20 minute mark or should I stop the I AM meditation and do some other meditation or can I even do some other meditation before/after? Must the I AM meditation be exactly 20 minutes or can I gradually increase it to say half an hour or an hour when I become comfortable in the asana?

Warm regards,
Chiron

Chiron,

it seems as if you are doing two things at the same time, one, getting used to Virasana, and two, getting used to meditation.

Advice 1: (and I think Yogani would concur) separate these things out. Learn meditation first without learning a new seat.

Advice 2: Carefully read the lessons, 13 onwards, and in particular lesson 33 which talks about the 'seat' in meditation.

Advice 3: Chirasana has its merits as a pose certainly, but the lotus-family of poses are certainly better for meditation in the long run (Yogani recommends siddhasana).

I hope that helps,

regards,

-D

Edited by - david_obsidian on Nov 29 2005 09:33:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2005 :  10:24:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Chiron:

Yes, do follow David's advice and go through the lessons in order. Then if there are further questions, fire away.

One additional point on noise in your environment: There is a topic here on using earplugs, white noise, etc. to deal with a noisy meditation place. See http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=546

Such measures are not going to block "inner" sensory experiences, so I am more inclined to encourage everyone to develop the habit of easily favoring the mantra over whatever is going on inside or outside. But if you are in a "rough patch," getting started in a noisy place, then do what is necessary to develop a comfortable routine of practice.

I suggest you stick with 20 minutes meditation. This is discussed in the lessons. And try and resist going off in too many directions at once. Save your time and energy for a smooth logical build-up. Believe me, there is plenty more to do in AYP, in due course. You will read all about it ... the most important thing is to develop a stable routine that you can stay with for the long term. The path of yoga is a marathon, not a sprint.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Chiron

Russia
397 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2005 :  03:38:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The reason I am doing Virasana is because I cannot get into a full Padmasana (lotus) which I want to be my meditation asana. I am up to 23 minutes now and I feel quite comfortable during the 20 minute meditation. I will keep the meditation it at 20 minutes as suggested, I guess it is good for the mind to fix itself to a stable routine.

Thank you again for your answers, I'll keep reading the lessons now :).

Warm Regards,
Chiron
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2005 :  10:50:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Chiron,
I practiced Padmasana daily for many years but now am using Siddhasana instead. Nothing wrong with Lotus but for these particular practices it is better to sit in Siddhasana as there is not so much grip on the legs and pelvis and the energy flows in a specific way. Siddhasana is also quite a bit easier than Padmasana so there is less body distraction as well. I don't see how Virasana is a preperation for Lotus however as the legs are folded quite differently. It is a good pose to learn but for the AYP practice I much prefer the recommended Siddhasana.
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2005 :  11:11:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Chiron,

I'm able to do full lotus, but I don't use it for meditation at all. I've always found the half-lotus, or siddhasana, to be better. I have not found full lotus to add anything relative to these.

By the way, when I said 'lotus family', I am including siddhasana in that.

-D
Go to Top of Page

Chiron

Russia
397 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2005 :  03:13:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It was my understanding that padmasana is one of the best if not the best sitting posture for meditation. I thought siddhasana is only more comfortable in the beginning stages of practice? Doesn't padmasana become the most comfortable sitting position once you get used to it? And isn't it much more stable than siddhasana? How long can you guys stay in padmasana?

Warm regards,
Chiron
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2005 :  09:45:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Chiron:

The main difference in effect between padmasana and siddhasana is in the degree of direct tantric stimulation. This is discussed in an AYP lesson here: http://www.aypsite.org/127.html

All the best!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000