AYP Home | Main Lessons | Tantra Lessons | AYP Plus | Retreats | AYP Books
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Jnana Yoga/Self-Inquiry - Advaita (Non-Duality)
 Why Yoga if inquiry/vedanta/ gets you there...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

beetsmyth

USA
104 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2009 :  7:22:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit beetsmyth's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I mean I understand the concept of yoga, I still do it off and on, the kundalini movement and having your heart chakra opened up into pure bliss is amazing and all.....

But one time I did Self Inquiry and glimpsed Union for a few seconds. Well, technically there was no I glimpsing Oneness, there only was Oneness.

SO it seems like Yoga can take decades to open all the channels, chakras, connect the kundalini to all the points, kechari for the thrid eye, etc.

But with self inquiry methods it seems like Union can be had in a few months, weeks, days, hours, minutes, maybe even right now.....

Thoughts?

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2009 :  11:27:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2009 :  11:55:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome, Beetsmyth!

Yoga and self-inquiry are not different systems. They are both part of the same system. That is the way it is viewed in the AYP approach. One of the branches of yoga is called "jnana yoga," dealing with self-inquiry. Advaita-vedanta and jnana yoga are the same. Splitting off jnana (self inquiry) from the rest of yoga as stand-alone greatly reduces its effectiveness, not a complete path for the vast majority of people, and there are good reasons for this. When properly integrated, all aspects of yoga (including self-inquiry) are highly complementary, and much faster than any one branch by itself.

If you review 15 or so online lessons, starting here, you will get an idea on the AYP approach to integration of yoga and self-inquiry: http://www.aypsite.org/321.html
There is also an AYP book on Self-Inquiry, which covers the relationship between self-inquiry and the rest of yoga, particularly the importance of cultivating abiding inner silence (the witness) in daily deep meditation as an essential prerequisite for effective self-inquiry.
Current and upcoming online lessons are going to take the use of self-inquiry in the AYP system significantly further. It is time. So stayed tuned.

Wishing you all the best on your path!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

beetsmyth

USA
104 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2009 :  09:11:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit beetsmyth's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogani,
Thank you for the reply. Yes thats right I forgot that Jnana was an integral part. Ok, makes sense now. Thanks again
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000