Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Weekday meditations better than weekend's
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2005 :  8:48:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I generally observe this. If it was on a weekday when I have to go to work, the evening meditation feels effective (like energy movements etc...). But on weekends, the evening meditations dont feel effective. They are more like my morning meditations where I feel as if nothing's happening.

I think the daily activity during weekdays is the reason why the evening meditation feels good. Any thoughts?

The reason many people fail in spirituality is that they try but make no attempt - Anonymous

Edited by - nearoanoke on Nov 20 2005 12:26:33 AM

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2005 :  01:17:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Near! For me it's just the opposite - during the week I'm always running off somewhere, and have to squeeze in pranayama/meditation wherever it will fit. In truth, it often feels like a hassle, but I do it anyway. But on the weekend I love to stretch it out and savor it for as long as possible, adding asanas, mudras, prayers, &tc.

Do you think you operate better with a little tension in your life?

:) meg
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2005 :  03:05:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I always do better with my morning practice as it is consistant and regular and i seldom feel restless. the evening practice often feels like very good energy movements in pranayama but often restlessness during meditation. Perhaps it is the regularity of the workweek that makes your practice feel more stable.
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2005 :  8:49:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by nearoanoke

I think the daily activity during weekdays is the reason why the evening meditation feels good. Any thoughts?

Yes, I do have a thought on it; I think finding evening/weekend meditations to feel better than morning/weekend ones is a random feature of Near's current organic settings and processes, and finding the very opposite is a random feature of Meg's.

Edited by - david_obsidian on Nov 20 2005 9:12:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2016 :  09:31:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes there is allot to be learned from digging up old posts from the beginnings of AYP this is a good one I thought deserved to be brought back up in to the light so to speak.

I tend to agree with the OP that evening meditations after work are better.

The reason for this to me is because there has been more activity requiring correct action and focus through out the day and many of the things of the day have built up a pressure that is released during deep meditation.

Some think oh it would be so nice if my mind would be perfectly still, for me though I find it very helpful to be pulled away by a scene of the day receive the answer to an issue and then catching myself Off of the mantra easily favor the mantra and return.

Not sure easily favoring the mantra was really well understood back in the beginning of AYP and sometimes it is not even now. I can tell everyone this much that transition from being off somewhere else and then returning to easily favoring the mantra is a priceless transition.

Moral of the story don't be so quick to retire or seek your solitary mountain top, you might make things harder on yourself than not.

quote:
Originally posted by nearoanoke

I generally observe this. If it was on a weekday when I have to go to work, the evening meditation feels effective (like energy movements etc...). But on weekends, the evening meditations dont feel effective. They are more like my morning meditations where I feel as if nothing's happening.

The reason many people fail in spirituality is that they try but make no attempt - Anonymous

Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2016 :  10:06:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogani recently used the phrase "innocently favoring the mantra", a step up from "easily" in my humble opinion. I now approach my meditation session the same way, innocently sitting with the open intention of come what may.
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2016 :  11:19:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I completely agree with So-Hi.

The AYP approach with one morning and one evening session works best if I am busy during the day. Strong daily activity and the two peaceful daily sits kind of need each other in order to achieve/maintain balance.

On days with less activity (let's say a rainy sunday) I can feel the lack of balance. I even experienced bad overload last year as I spent one week being almost completely alone and lazy at home, doing only yoga twice a day - that was not good at all, after 3-4 days I experienced anger and anxiety.

Edited by - Ecdyonurus on Feb 03 2016 11:31:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

MrCuddly

USA
43 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2016 :  3:44:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Evening meditation is usually easier for me also since I'm not dealing with the just woken up scattered thoughts. But I LOVE weekend DM especially in the morning. I can wake up later, collect my thoughts, stretch out with incense initial invocations, etc. And I always have time to tag on a Samyama or 35-40 OM chants after SB and DM. In all I usually spend two hours or so on the morning practice on weekends - and feel amazing relaxed all day. l'll admit that it drives my wife nuts, however.

Edited by - MrCuddly on Feb 09 2016 3:51:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

colours

Sweden
108 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2016 :  5:51:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
As is mentioned in this thread, is that loosing mantra, and coming back to it feels really good and each time I feel relieved from pressure of thoughts and feelings.

So maybe a quiet mind is over rated? I don't know :)

Anyways, I recommend reading Yogani's book on DM, if you haven't already...

Edited by - colours on Sep 23 2016 6:00:25 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000