Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 tolerance towards the stimulations?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alvin Chan

Hong Kong
407 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  10:08:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

Just start up my practice for short time. Although I need to adjust for a little longer to sit in Siddhasana, once settled, it's quite stable for me. My concern is: as I do not, probably, yet much inner silence cultivated, is there any disadvantage to sit in Siddhasana right away. (I have been doing asanas for a year and that helps me to sit in Siddhasana with comfort, physically)

I am just worrying that stimulating energy while still with much blockages will make my body get some tolerance towards the stimulating effects, so that in the future when the blockages are cleared up, the effect of Siddhasana will be less (when I really want it!)

This question also applies to other practices: will the body "get used to" and build up tolerance toward the stimulations of yoga practices?

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  12:19:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Alvin Chan

Hi all,

Just start up my practice for short time. Although I need to adjust for a little longer to sit in Siddhasana, once settled, it's quite stable for me. My concern is: as I do not, probably, yet much inner silence cultivated, is there any disadvantage to sit in Siddhasana right away. (I have been doing asanas for a year and that helps me to sit in Siddhasana with comfort, physically)

I am just worrying that stimulating energy while still with much blockages will make my body get some tolerance towards the stimulating effects, so that in the future when the blockages are cleared up, the effect of Siddhasana will be less (when I really want it!)

This question also applies to other practices: will the body "get used to" and build up tolerance toward the stimulations of yoga practices?

The purpose of siddhasana is to stimulate sexual energy upwards in the spine. Once inner silence is developed (and blockages are cleared) siddhasana is supposed to produce escatic/semi-erotic feelings in your spine. You can sit in siddhasana even before you have much inner silence. It doesnt hurt and also is a good practice. But you wont feel any escatic conductivity until you develop inner silence.

I dont think there is anything like "getting used to" and not feeling effects later. With all yogic practices, when your blockages clear up you feel more ecstatic doing those practices than before. All yoga asanas and stretchings are supposed to feel esctatic as inner silence develops. Read Yogani's novel "The secrets of the wilder" for more info.

The reason many people fail in spirituality is that they try but make no attempt - Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Lili

Netherlands
372 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  3:49:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Alvin Chan

My concern is: as I do not, probably, yet much inner silence cultivated, is there any disadvantage to sit in Siddhasana right away.

Hi Alvin,

Generally here the advice is to add practices one at a time with some weeks/months in-between every new practice you add. This is to avoid 'energy overload' symptoms such as irritability or dullness. Jumping ahead to practices given later in the lessons is not recommended (exception is Samyama which you can add after some months of regular meditation practice) In case you have just started your meditation perhaps you will be better off going through the practices in the order in which they are given, that is meditation, spinal breathing, mula bandha, samhavi, siddhasana etc. Sitting with your legs crossed is recommended from the very beginning of your meditation practice. However sitting on your heal which puts pressure on the perineum (siddhasana) is given later in the lessons so you might want to wait and work your way through the practices that come before siddhasana first. (for more details if you want review lessons 10 - 75). Write if you have other questions.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000