Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Cooling the body?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

solo

USA
167 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2009 :  2:25:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit solo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have been burning up of later at night. Waking in night sweats and in general just very hot at night. My body is presently in a deep state of cleansing.

A friend of mine suggested:

1. Sitali pranayam
2. Coconut oil on the scalp
3. A glass of milk at night

Thing is:

I am physically not able to curl my tongue. So I can't do sitali pranayam. And I don't like milk.

Other than scaling back the AYP practice, any suggestions?

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2009 :  2:38:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is an "easy version" of sitali pranayam that doesn't include the curling of the tongue:

EASY METHOD

1. Purse your lips into a tiny "o" shape, like a reaching kiss. Keep your tongue inside floating , so it doesn't touch teeth or gums.

2. Slowly inhale through your mouth, feel the cooled air. If your mouth becomes dry, be patient and slow it down more.

3. To exhale, use the tip of your tongue softly against the top inside roof of your mouth. Exhale even more slowly as you inhaled. The air will exit your nose, so feel the heat exiting too.

Taken from here: http://www.yogahmmm.com/articles/co..._breath.html .....

Hope this helps some.

Love,
Carson

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2009 :  3:39:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This excess heat may be due to a pitta overload.
Look at Yogani's Ayurveda Diet Guidelines
It can be purification and excess kundalini energy too and/or a combination of all of the above.

Either way, in India we use a couple of things to cool down the body:

1> 2 tbsp fennel seeds + 1 tbsp seedless raisins .. soak in a cup of water overnight (6-8 hrs)... Drink this water the next morning.

2> 2 tbsp yogurt + 1 glass of water + pinch of salt + pinch of black pepper.. stir well.. drink cold.

I have tried them both and find them both very effective.

Hope these help.
Go to Top of Page

solo

USA
167 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  06:52:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit solo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you both. I will try these suggestions.

Looking at my diet, it is highly pitta. Maybe I need to work on some more balance in this aspect of my life. I don't enjoy eating a wide variety of foods. So I tend to find things that I like that seem healthy and eat them routinely. Variation in my diet would be good but is simply difficult for me because I have strange taste buds and seem to dislike most foods.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  07:06:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I get hot a lot also. I find it helps to sip a lot of water all day (at least two liters), and eat less white starches like bread, potato, rice. Starches that burn slower are brown rice and green vegetables like broccoli.
Also don't eat close to bedtime.

Edited by - Etherfish on Jun 05 2009 07:08:49 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000