Illuminated Poetry, Quotations and Stories
 Every Time I See Your Face
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - May 23 2009 :  3:12:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message

Every Time I See Your Face
By LIVE

I was looking everywhere to find you
By and by, my intentions were good
But I know I don't watch where I'm walking
When I know I should
If the nighttime turns into day
Before I say what I mean
God d*** all these obstacles
Before me

Every time I see your face
It's like Heaven opens up her gates
And I fall behind
I just close my eyes
I just close my eyes

If the quicksand of love and deception
Finds a way to come between you and me
Don't fret
I'm gonna cut through the darkness
And set us free

And if you wanna just lay with me Darlin
Let the mystery silently speak
Take my tongue
Take my lungs if you want
I'll even try not to breathe

Something overwhelms my heart with grace
And I fall behind
I just close my eyes
I just close my eyes

I know you are the one
(I was looking everywhere to find you)
I know you're more than wonderful
I know you are the one

It's like Heaven opens up her gates
And I fall behind
I just close my eyes
I just close my eyes

Something overwhelms my heart with grace
And I fall behind
I just close my eyes
I just close my eyes
Yeah, oh, oh, yeah
Every time
I see your face
Every time
Every time

Hey, All .... a couple-three things about this song/poem:

1. The first verse/stanza may not seem to fit with the rest of the song ("unhappy" and/or determined vibe, as opposed to joyous) -- that's because it depicts someone who hasn't yet fallen into the LOVING that is Reality/True Nature ... and I find, when it's heard/read that way ... it serves as a very powerful contrast/illustration of what coming Home to the reality of LOVING is like, after all those years in the Bad Dream of illusory separation.

2. It always makes a BIG difference, in terms of getting the "vibe" of lyrics to hear the song. Please do! I'm LOVING this song right now ... it's just *joyous*!

Every Time I See Your Face by LIVE.

2. If you wonder why sages and poets have been writing loves song of adulation from and for the utter joy and wonder of reality .... well .... I think this song captures the vibe of it very, very nicely.

Because, you see .... Ed Kowalczyk *wrote* this song to/for Inner Silence, to/for Pure Bliss Consciousness .... *Really*.

I haven't look at Ed's personal MySpace in a while, but he used to have only two words to describe himself:

Meditator. Happy.

I know their music well, and I know where Ed's coming from; there's not a LIVE song that's not about enlightenment; there's not a LIVE love song that's not to the Goddess; the Beloved; Reality -- Inner Silence; Pure Bliss Consciousness; True Nature.

And, in like manner, when I hear this song, my heart pours open all over again for my Beloved.

Actually, when I don't hear the song, too.

Because, in a very real sense ... "Every Time I See Your Face" ... is every moment now.

Intending the Awareness of Loving Beyond Imagination for All,

Kirtanman

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - May 23 2009 :  3:17:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow...you really like Live eh Kman? You seen them "Live"? Haha. I saw them in my youth, (haha, that's a joke) and liked them despite them not being my favorite style of music at all. I always thought a couple of members were junkies though. You ever read anything about that?

Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - May 23 2009 :  5:12:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It isn't my style of music, but the lyrics are great!

Thanks for sharing!!!

Yonatan
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  9:48:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

Wow...you really like Live eh Kman? You seen them "Live"? Haha. I saw them in my youth, (haha, that's a joke) and liked them despite them not being my favorite style of music at all. I always thought a couple of members were junkies though. You ever read anything about that?

Hey Carson,

"The thing that defines integral art is the consciousness of the artist."
~Ken Wilber (stated in a presentation on integral consciousness and avante garde art and music , given with Ed Kowalczyk, singer and lyricist for LIVE).

That sums it up in a nutshell.

I've experienced awakened yogis/yoginis leading kirtan in Sanskrit, offering higher consciousness and connection to a group of 7 people.

I've experienced awakened yogis/yoginis leading spoken satsang in English, offering higher consciousness and connection to a group of 70 people.

I've experienced Ed Kowalczyk and LIVE headlining rock concerts, offering higher consciousness and connection to a group of 70,000 people.

I find that very, very inspirational.

And, I have personally experienced the power of LIVE's music in a directly yogic way.

Directly yogic?

Directly yogic ... as in:

I have literally had *deep* spiritual insights facilitated by the lyrics to LIVE's songs ... and, as with all higher consciousness and uplifting music ... there's a *power* to the nature of music, which helps the facilitation ... whether or not it's one's favorite kind of music.

There are a lot of bands that sound "kind of" like LIVE ... and I can take 'em or leave 'em.

It's all about the consciousness ..... and the given yogi/yogini's level of immersion.

Ed Kowalczyk is all the way IN .... and he just happens to be "all the way in" in a way, and via an art form (popular music) that can and does inspire many millions of people all around the world.

There are more and more "spiritual music artists" (and artists of all types) ... which I'm very pleased to see (and hear!) ... but not too many that are *awake* - not too many who write/sing amazingly powerful (spiritually) songs, from a standpoint of *knowing* ... of experiencing the higher consciousness.

Ed Kowalczyk is one of them; Matisyahu's another.

And yeah ... they're "just regular people" .... like you and I are, like Yogani is; like Adyashanti is; like Byron Katie and Eckhart Tolle are, too -- along with a wonderfully increasing number of others.

Higher consciousness is beautiful; artistic talent is, as well.

Together .... they're unstoppable; singing from source *to* source.

So, yeah, I like LIVE a lot.

There are a lot of popular love songs out there ........ but only one of them which says:

"Maybe home is where the heart is given up to the One."
( ~They Stood Up For Love, LIVE)

Check out some of their lyrics.

And don't get me wrong .... it's not like I'm implying that most of LIVE's songs are about higher consciousness; it's like I'm implying that every single one of LIVE's songs is about higher consciousness.

A *LOT* like that, actually (click on lyrics link above -- see for yourself; it's pretty amazing!)

And no, I didn't always know this; not until last year, actually ..... when I saw a LIVE video ... and Ed in a Shiva t-shirt ... and went:

"HM ...."!

And then heard Ed dedicate "They Stood Up For Love" to "John Lennon ... The Buddha ... Jesus Christ .... Adi Da ... everybody who's ever stood up for love!"

And heard "I Alone" with fresh ears .......

It's easier not to be great
to measure these things by our eyes

There's a LOT in LIVE's songs; there's everything worth knowing, in LIVE's songs.

It occurred to me that the body of LIVE's lyrics, understood and experienced fully .... carry the same inherent power as any sacred writing, in any language ... ever .... including all scripture .... including all devotional music and poetry.

LIVE's lyrics may not be as elegant as the poetry of, say, Rumi .... but the consciousness expressing and expressed via LIVE's lyrics .... is the shining of the heart .... that has been given up to the One.

Maybe sounds a little crazy ..... but I've tried to "prove myself wrong" on this ... and continue to be amazed.

Is LIVE's work more important than, say, AYP ... or the work of Ken Wilber .... or any conscious author, or teacher, or person (some of the most globally powerful spiritual work in history is being conducted in private homes, in mothers loving their children, lovers loving their beloved, children loving parents; in online forums; in meditation groups; in families connecting) .....?

Most assuredly not.

But is it on the same level?

Most assuredly YES.

And I personally find the fact that a band of junior high school kids from a working class town in Pennsylvania are carrying the message of truth and unity to rock music fans everywhere, for almost twenty years ... via multi-million selling albums and singles .... arena concerts, MTV videos and even American Idol ... to be inspirational, uplifting and enjoyable!

So, yeah .... I guess you could say that I do like LIVE a lot ....!

Long LIVE Bhakt' n' Roll,

Kirtanman

"Mine eyes have seen the glory of the love that does transcend ... Heaven is ONE, so why believe when you can see it for yourself?"

LIVE, Mystery

PS- As far as the "junkie" thing ... they seem *way* too consistent in pretty much every area of life, to me, to be junkies ... though now that you mention it, both the "Chads" *do* wear sunglasses inside an awful lot for people who don't seem to be legally blind .... (<- *joke*; I've never read anything .... nor have I seen any member of LIVE look like the stereotypically smacked-out musician {I've dined ... if it can be called that ... in the past ... with people doing the 'nod & drool' ... I'm somewhat familiar with the 'signs and symptoms'} ..... which all means "exactly nothing" ... you could be "spot on" for all I know.

And I'm doubting you meant Ed, anyway (?)

But again .... I don't really know; I love their music ... and other than Ed (who I've seen in various interviews, and what-not ... where he always seems conscious, clear-headed, and {with one or two exceptions over the years ... somehow usually connected with Amsterdam .... mysterious, that .... } glaringly not-high or post-high) .... I don't know anything about the band members, "chemically" or otherwise.

Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  1:59:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kirtanman.....

I can very much appreciate the essence behind "Live's" lyrics. You may have read that I was a musician for many years. I started piano lessons at the age of 4, and was a certified piano teacher by 15...meaning I had Grade 8 Conservatory....I also participated in vocal "Soloist" competitions as a child and won an award for the highest mark ever given in my age group for a solo vocal performance at a specific competition in grade 6. I moved out at 15 though, so I no longer had a piano to play and hence I started to teach myself guitar and drums, then bass, then to record music as well as programing and sequencing. There is not many instruments I cannot play. I even took some sitar lessons from a friend of mine who studied with a master in India. I am of the personal opinion that music can be a mode of connection with the divine. Not just lyrically though, but also through the sound/vibrations. The last album my band released was called "(mi-o'pus)n. a musical thesis; a philosophy of sound"....because I believe that when certain vibrations are used together and the intent behind making these vibrations is right, there is a possiblity to have individuals having spiritual experiences and deep connection to the divine through these vibrations. I did not and was not capable of producing this effect, and ended up resorting to conveying a message through lyrics as well, but personally I feel that there will come a day when the words won't be necessary and the spiritual vibrations contained in the music will be more then enough to create deep connection with the divine for some. I have not heard the Divine Sound by Omdasji yet, but I imagine that this CD would be something along these lines. But I think it is possible to do this in the "pop" music sense as well, and that with proper intention and education it will someday be possible to record and play back a "spiritual experience" through musical vibration. I'm sure this is a ways out at this point, but someday it will happen I think....

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2009 :  9:36:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

Hi Kirtanman....

I believe that when certain vibrations are used together and the intent behind making these vibrations is right, there is a possiblity to have individuals having spiritual experiences and deep connection to the divine through these vibrations.

Love,
Carson

Hey Carson -

Awesome post; thanks!

I too have been "around music" quite a bit; played bass in a band, sang (lead vocals) after that; managed an SF Bay Area metal band for a while.

Then, one fine day in 2002 or so ... I was in my favorite Silicon Valley yogic bookshop (East West) ... and was grooving to the Hare Krishna chant ... noticing that it sounded quite a bit like .... rock n' roll.

And that was my introduction to Krishna Das.

and I had an interesting evolution from "who is this guy?" .... to "this guy" and I chanting the Hanuman Chalisa together at a workshop soundcheck, at Kripalu, last summer ... I've expanded my horizons a bit since the "Kirtanmania" of 2005-2006ish .... but can morph back into Kirtanman, Sanskritically speaking (and/or chanting ....) as the sitch requires.

The Yoga of Sound is well-known .... and has been honed, refined and effectively perfected for several thousand years longer than our modern cultures have been.

Yes, that's a full sentence.

And, I can speak from experience .... I chanted/sang *solely* in Sanskrit for a couple full years; got back into mainstreamish rock for a while, and have recently returned to chanting kirtan -- and there is a palpable power to the Sanskrit mantras which serve as the "lyrics" for kirtan.

This isn't anything "mystical", either .... it's powerful and sophisticated neuro-physiological science; many people aren't familiar with the fact that Sanskrit has five grouping of throat and tongue positions -- which create specific resonance, especially when repeatedly chanted to music.

Tongue position, the emotion of devotion, structure of the instrumental music, order of the mantra syllables per breathing and energetic effects, and even the physical structure of the instruments themselves (Indian metal-string instruments are literally designed to facilitate the entering of samadhi, for experienced yogis and yoginis).

Very cool that you "intuited" a bit about the yoga of sound (nada yoga) on your own!

(So to speak; the one awareness is awakening all of the one awareness that's not awakened to the fact it's the one awareness awakening. And stuff. ).

Some links you might find interesting:

Russill Paul/Yoga of Sound

Russill Paul/Nada Yoga Article.

"When you play on any metal-stringed instrument, such as Sitar, the sound which is produced by that instrument resides in gross pasyanti. And when one concentrates on that sound which exists in gross pasyanti, one should enter into samadhi, enter into the supreme transcendental Being."

Excerpt from The Secret Supreme by Swami Lakshmanjoo.

Krishna Das.com.

Heart Is Where The AUM Is!

Kirtanman

Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  11:10:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow Kirtanman....so much awesome information....thank you so much!

Just last night at my weekly AYP meditation group one of the attendies and I decided that we were going to make some "meditation videos" which will incorporate the "nada yoga" aspect. We plan to make 20 minute videos where the visual part will be the camera just sitting still in certain outdoor natural settings (like on a penisula in the middle of a river), there will be the natural sound of the wind, rocks tumbling, the river flowing, etc etc, but then we will layer underneath all this some nada yoga/sound/vibrations and some quiet binaural beats to aid in hitting DEEP meditation. The video and early sound was started already by this person and now we are going to start working on the underlying vibrations. Obviously this won't be a replacement for our twice daily "i am" meditations, just something to try out and to learn from. Who knows, could become a multi-million dollar investment .... kidding.

I really liked this line in the one article:

"If you were to transcribe the X-ray output of these black holes as a series of musical notes, it would not sound quite like any [particular] sort of music. . . but the ‘tune’ [would] still have a musical quality about it."

I've always wanted to transcribe "pi"....as in the number 3.14159265..... Always wanted to know what that would sound like....

Anyways, thanks for the info Kman! Very synchronistic to where I am right now. Thank you.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000