AYP Home | Main Lessons | Tantra Lessons | AYP Plus | Retreats | AYP Books
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Jnana Yoga/Self-Inquiry - Advaita (Non-Duality)
 Choices.....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - May 18 2009 :  12:52:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Namaste Friends......

This question hit me halfway through my asana practice on Friday afternoon. I am trying hard not to grasp for answers, but I keep coming back to this as I think it may hold a key to an opening....

"Who is it that chooses?"

It is easy for me to quickly snap to the answer of "it is the silent awareness that chooses".....but is it really? Perhaps it is when I am not identified with "myself" or "my ego" and am abiding in that inner silent awareness....but that is definitely not 24/7 in anyway yet for me. So in these times when I am NOT feeling myself to be the silent witness, I assume it is my "ego" that is making the decisions right? Well, again I am not so sure here either......to me this brings in the topic of Free Will. And whether or not it really exists. Or to what degree. I am of the opinion (I call it an opinion but it is really a knowing that can't be proved) that God is in control of everything. That there IS a master plan for humanity and we are all fulfilling our destinies as we speak. But we all have the opportunities and ability to make decisions and to control the direction of our lives. I realize that this likely indicates that time is not linear, or is really not there at all, and that God knows each and every action we will make before we make it. So is this really Free Will? Yes we can do what we want, but what we want, and will want, is already known by God, therefor there really are no "decisions" to make as they have already been made by you (as God). Does this mean we lay back and let life float on past us? Is it pointless to try and create a destiny of our choosing? Will God's plan only supersede those of our choosing? Do we really have any choices at all? Is every choice already made for us? To we really have ANY control over our lives or do we just THINK we do? Is it pointless trying to make decisions when not abiding in the silent witness state? Will those decisions only serve as barriers to God? Sorry for the barrage of questions .....thanks for any feedback.

Love,
Carson

Edited by - CarsonZi on May 18 2009 2:13:08 PM

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - May 18 2009 :  5:29:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carson

I can't answer your questions.....but here is some rambling:

quote:
That there IS a master plan for humanity and we are all fulfilling our destinies as we speak

We are all fulfilling whatever takes place where we are

Maybe this is very naïve.....but here it seems that Life is Goodness....and that it is so...inherently intelligent that no blue print....no "plan"....is ever needed. If NOW is all there is......and this is absolutely so...then ALL is here already. And yet it is paradoxically also infinitely flexible. As if there is a trillion potentials available in each moment....and a plan would unnecessarily limit this fantastic miracle. Since all potentials are HOME. Life is not linear...it only appears to be. And if Life is Depth only....then every single moment is a fresh upcoming into existence.....Life is not a continuum.....it is a forever hereness....What always IS does not "continue".....it simply IS.

And....it springs up from....the miracle of nothingness....

EVERYTHING is connected. So that if a spider moves it's leg.....the whole universe is part of this movement. ALL knows of it.....and knows of "everything else" at the same time. It is One Single Block of Reality moving. So that what looks like a local "change"...really never is. It is always universal. EVERYTHING is affected by anything....which by the way is always never a thing.....it is still ALL....within the appearant separate. No thought happens that is not spreading far and wide....it is just as with the spider's leg. What appears to be choices.....is either a contraction....or an opening in that which already is. Yet the contraction too is what is.....it is just that...as the contraction...one perceives less of the whole.

quote:
"Who is it that chooses?"

If everything is constantly spontaneously implicitly intelligently welling up NOW....then can it be that "choosing" is out of the question.....sort of redundant?

quote:
I am of the opinion (I call it an opinion but it is really a knowing that can't be proved) that God is in control of everything

God IS everything.....so can it be then...that no control is needed either? That it is enough to BE all?

Can it be that "ego".....is synonymous with the contraction called "control"?

Can it be that free will......is not at all freedom?
That the release of "control"...which is simply total relaxation of grippingness...reveals that ALL was already flowing perfectly......and that freedom is the total trust in this fact?

quote:
So in these times when I am NOT feeling myself to be the silent witness, I assume it is my "ego" that is making the decisions right?

Can it be that ....there is no difference between "ego" and "decision"....that the thought itself is one and the same contraction?....Felt so as the contraction?

quote:
But we all have the opportunities and ability to make decisions and to control the direction of our lives. I realize that this likely indicates that time is not linear, or is really not there at all, and that God knows each and every action we will make before we make it.

God knows as that which is. There is no "before". Nothing is "before".....It seems here that...intention and manifistation are simoultaneous....no decision takes place. Only spontaneous implicitly intelligent upcoming. As if every single moment is all in consideration.....simply by the fact of its beingness. This is how intelligent life is.....it is such a miracle...

quote:
Does this mean we lay back and let life float on past us?

We let go the thought of ourselves.....and let life flow through "us"......which is now an opening.

This is how floating happens.....

Carson.....thanks

Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - May 18 2009 :  6:31:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Woah! Katrine, what a really beautiful post

For some time, about maybe a little more than half a year, I have had this experience of seeing as things come out of each other, being able to see that. Like someone saying something, then a thought comes out of me hearing it, which is based on past tendencies and feelings (like what they said "activated" that thought-feeling again), and then I say something, and from that they have thoughts and say something.. etc. etc.

And I see that..

Am I making a choice what to say or what to think??

Don't all things just come out of one-another, as Katrine said in one of her posts, "spontaneously"?

And aren't the "choices" also like this??

Maybe it's just an illusion of the ego that there is someone who chooses, and that the choices belong to that someone..

We keep practicing and "choosing" to practice and continue with it, to see it clearly..
Go to Top of Page

christiane

Lebanon
319 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  12:03:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit christiane's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Katrine...

/|\
Go to Top of Page

christiane

Lebanon
319 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  12:09:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit christiane's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am a wave in the ocean of infinity...
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  11:24:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste Katrine....

quote:
Originally posted by Katrine

We are all fulfilling whatever takes place where we are

Yes of course, but do we have any control or is control a straight up illusion?

quote:

Maybe this is very naïve.....

I have GOT to learn how to do the dots things above a letter

quote:

but here it seems that Life is Goodness....and that it is so...inherently intelligent that no blue print....no "plan"....is ever needed.

Yes, I see what you are saying....everything is as it is, so there is no plan we are following.....everything just IS. BUT, God knows our actions before we even make them, correct? At least this is how I understand things. There is no past, no future, only Now, and God knows what is happening everywhere and what the consequences of these happenings will be right? So I guess I am not saying that there is a "Plan" persay, but more that there is no surprises for God. All is already known. So if what I am doing right now, was known by God a decade ago, am I really making the decision to do what I am doing right now, or am I just following along with some unknown orders and fulfilling some master design? I may FEEL like I am making decisions, but really am I? Or are they being made/were they made for me, by me/God (by creating me the way I am)?

quote:

If NOW is all there is......and this is absolutely so...then ALL is here already. And yet it is paradoxically also infinitely flexible.

This is where I am having the problem Katrine.....Is the Now really infinitely flexible? I don't see this. I see it as us THINKING it is infinitely flexible, but this is an illusion giving us a sense of control. We THINK we can do anything we want, but anything we do is already known (all is here already) so nothing we do is not part of the "plan". So I can say, I am going to do this, and do something completely different, trying to have some element of control, yet what I have actually DONE, was known all along and I ended up doing what was according to the "plan" despite me trying to do what I thought was different from the plan. I CAN'T do anything that isn't already known. All is known in the now, so are there ANY real choices to be made? Doesn't seem like it.

quote:

As if there is a trillion potentials available in each moment....and a plan would unnecessarily limit this fantastic miracle. Since all potentials are HOME.

Yes, but if all is known, then there really are no "potentials" at all. Everything you are doing, and going to do is known already and you don't get to make a decision that can change the outcome of anything. The outcome is already known, and you will make the decision that will create the outcome. Therefor do you really have a decision?

quote:

Life is not linear...it only appears to be.

Yes, I definitely agree.

quote:

And if Life is Depth only....then every single moment is a fresh upcoming into existence.....Life is not a continuum.....it is a forever hereness....What always IS does not "continue".....it simply IS.

quote:
Life is not a continuum

If that was totally the case there would be no consequences. No karma.

quote:

EVERYTHING is connected. So that if a spider moves it's leg.....the whole universe is part of this movement. ALL knows of it.....and knows of "everything else" at the same time. It is One Single Block of Reality moving. So that what looks like a local "change"...really never is. It is always universal. EVERYTHING is affected by anything....which by the way is always never a thing.....it is still ALL....within the appearant separate. No thought happens that is not spreading far and wide....it is just as with the spider's leg. What appears to be choices.....is either a contraction....or an opening in that which already is. Yet the contraction too is what is.....it is just that...as the contraction...one perceives less of the whole.

Yes I understand the idea of the "butterfly effect". And I do believe (not that it matters) that this is truely the way things are. BUT that doesn't change what I am saying. I wasn't saying that we AREN'T all connected. What I was saying was that despite the fact that we are all connected, nothing is done of our own accord. We aren't really the "doers". We just THINK we are. What is done is according to what IS, and what IS, is what is according to what God has planned. Even though there is no "Plan" persay. I know that makes little to no sense, but I am finding words very limiting here. Sorry.

quote:

If everything is constantly spontaneously implicitly intelligently welling up NOW....then can it be that "choosing" is out of the question.....sort of redundant?

Exactly. Can there REALLY be any choices? Doesn't seem like it to me. But this makes NOTHING really spontaneous, not everything. But nothing is everything and everything is nothing so perhaps that is exactly the way it is, who knows?

quote:

God IS everything.....so can it be then...that no control is needed either? That it is enough to BE all?

Kinda my point. That control (via the making of decisions) is a complete illusion. God is everything, God knows everything, and "we" (the ego) need to basically just get out of the way.

quote:

Can it be that "ego".....is synonymous with the contraction called "control"?

Absolutely. So if the ego is synonomous with control, then when we release the ego we release all control. SO....we really have no control since the ego is not really "us".

quote:

Can it be that free will......is not at all freedom?
That the release of "control"...which is simply total relaxation of grippingness...reveals that ALL was already flowing perfectly......and that freedom is the total trust in this fact?

It could be....and this would indicate that we really do not have any choices to make at all. Everything is as it is, and nothing we do will change anything from the way it is. At least that is what this would seemingly indicate to me.

quote:

Can it be that ....there is no difference between "ego" and "decision"....that the thought itself is one and the same contraction?....Felt so as the contraction?

Yes.

quote:

God knows as that which is. There is no "before". Nothing is "before".....It seems here that...intention and manifistation are simoultaneous....no decision takes place. Only spontaneous implicitly intelligent upcoming. As if every single moment is all in consideration.....simply by the fact of its beingness. This is how intelligent life is.....it is such a miracle...

This to me again indicates that karma doesn't/can't exist. If there is only now, and there is no past, no future, how can karma exist? What is Is, and that is it.

quote:

quote:
Does this mean we lay back and let life float on past us?

We let go the thought of ourselves.....and let life flow through "us"......which is now an opening.

Thanks Katrine.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5196 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  12:16:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carson:

Choice is entirely relative, depending on our state of consciousness and point of view.

If we are living mostly outside stillness (non-relational), we make all our choices and live with the consequences (karma). The choices are ours, because we see ourselves as material beings. Our reality is defined by our state of consciousness, not by an outside force, including God.

If we are living increasingly in stillness (relational), we make our choices just as we did before, except they are gradually merging with the divine flow and becoming stillness in action. There is karma here too, aligning with the divine flow coming through us.

If we are a pure advaitin, having fully realized the non-duality of life, then choices are going on outside the field of our Self. In that situation, action, karma, even God, are perceived to be outside what we are. The advaitin regards all this manifestation as a veneer, an illusion playing on the unmanifest Self behind it all, even while engaged fully and compassionately in it. It is a paradox. By then, choice is not an essential part of life, but the advaitin doesn't care. Choice keeps happening, but is transcended because he/she has transcended.

So it isn't that choice is ever going to be out of our reach. It is we who eventually evolve beyond the field of choice!

We cannot play this game from the point of view of a state of consciousness we are not in yet. In other words, it is not useful to take the point of view of an advaitin if we are operating outside stillness, or even engaged relationally seeing ourselves as increasing stillness in action. We will do best to be honest about where we are and operate from there. As soon as we project in mind outside our present reality we are nowhere (out of our "now"), and this is where the difficulties arise.

Therefore, it is much better to be fully living the life that is before us, while engaging in practices and moving gradually toward higher stages of consciousness. We will be making choices along the way, even when our choice is active surrender to the divine flow coming through us, and finally choosing non-duality, where we see the choices occurring outside our nature.

When we reach the advaita (non-dual) stage, we will see that all is happening automatically, and we are the eternal awareness (void) behind it. But this cannot be imagined. Those who try and live it in the mind will be in a disconnected state, worse off than the "unenlightened" person making an honest effort to move ahead by every means available.

The suggestion is to be where you are, make the best choices you can for betterment, and by all means, enjoy the ride!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  12:33:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogani and thank you for sharing some input.

So if I understand what you are saying correctly, you are corroborating what I was saying about the "decider" being different depending on the state of mind (either abiding in the witness or seeing through the ego)? One being relational and the other non-relational? And when abiding in the witness, decisions are seen as what they are, the natural flow of existance, and when seeing life through the ego we are seeing "ourselves" as having control which is actually a complete illusion?

quote:
If we are a pure advaitan, having fully realized the non-duality of life, then choices are going on outside the field of our Self. In that situation, action, karma, even God, are perceived to be outside what we are. The advaitan regards all this manifestation as a veneer, an illusion playing on the unmanifest Self behind it all, even while engaged fully and compassionately in it. It is a paradox. By then, choice is not an essential part of life, but the advaitan doesn't care. Choice keeps happening, but is transcended because he/she has transcended.

So can a "pure advaitan" make a decision that will create negative karma (even though we all know that they likely wouldn't)?

quote:
We cannot play this game from the point of view of a state of consciousness we are not in yet. In other words, it is not useful to take the point of view of an advaitan if we are operating outside stillness, or even engaged relationally seeing ourselves as increasing stillness in action. We will do best to be honest about where we are and operate from there. As soon as we project in mind outside our present reality we are nowhere (out of our "now"), and this is where the difficulties arise.

Yes that makes lots of sense. Wasn't trying to indicate I am somewhere I am not. Thank you for reminding me of where I am.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  12:56:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carson

Phew......I sure am glad Yogani chimed in here

For once I will refrain from responding to your questions....for now that is :-)

After you have read Yoganis post....if you still have questions regarding my post (because the points you make are answered by him much better than what I can ramble )....by all means ask again.

quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe this is very naïve.....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have GOT to learn how to do the dots things above a letter

On my lap top....*lol*....it goes like this:

Press down the key with the two dots on it, and then...while you hold down that key...press down the letter above which you want the dots

Magical isn't it.......Breathe in
Breathe out

Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  12:57:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
We cross posted
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5196 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  12:59:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carson:

Identified awareness (ego) isn't an illusion at the point it is occurring. It is a condition of consciousness. It is as real as what we are perceiving in the moment. If that is what we are at a point in time, I don't think it is wise to label it as "an illusion." We can only play from where we are. If we negate where we are, we've got nothing to work with, and will be prone to get stuck in that mind set.

Ultimately, it is all an illusion, but what good does it do to dwell on that? Without the dawn of the witness, it will lead to mental paralysis, because it cannot be solved in the mind. It can only be solved in stillness. Effective self-inquiry dances along the edge of this.

Can a realized advaitin create negative karma? He/she would not make the distinction between positive or negative, and would not claim to be creating anything. The point of view is that the entire universe is going on by itself within him/her/it. This point of view is totally confounding to anyone but another realized advaitin. It takes One to know One.

Fortunately, yama and niyama are operating in the grand illusion of the universe, according to the degree of presence of the witness, which includes the realized advaitin, of course.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  1:17:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogani

Thank you for that wonderful post
I'll print it and put it on the fridge......*lol*.....it is so crucial...the points you make. Like this one:

quote:
quote:
Yogani wrote:
We cannot play this game from the point of view of a state of consciousness we are not in yet. In other words, it is not useful to take the point of view of an advaitin if we are operating outside stillness, or even engaged relationally seeing ourselves as increasing stillness in action. We will do best to be honest about where we are and operate from there. As soon as we project in mind outside our present reality we are nowhere (out of our "now"), and this is where the difficulties arise.

and this:

quote:
Therefore, it is much better to be fully living the life that is before us, while engaging in practices and moving gradually toward higher stages of consciousness. We will be making choices along the way, even when our choice is active surrender to the divine flow coming through us, and finally choosing non-duality, where we see the choices occurring outside our nature.

Carson
You wrote:

quote:

Yes that makes lots of sense. Wasn't trying to indicate I am somewhere I am not. Thank you for reminding me of where I am.

You were not trying to indicate anything The reminder was perfect for both of us. Here....again and again it is seen that it is very crucial to always remember...when we "factor in awareness" as a friend of mine puts it....to respond in such a way that the one asking the questions get's the answers that will ensure greater release...not the opposite. To respond to where they are...not where I am. Because where they are is where their Iamness is contacted...and opening can happen. Yes?

So....even though saying I coudn't answer your questions....there was still answering...*lol*...and Yogani provided needed clarity, balance and ....let go. As always

Thanks and much love to both of you

Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  1:21:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogani we cross posted

quote:
Ultimately, it is all an illusion, but what good does it do to dwell on that? Without the dawn of the witness, it will lead to mental paralysis, because it cannot be solved in the mind. It can only be solved in stillness. Effective self-inquiry dances along the edge of this.

*lol*.......mental paralysis.....*lol.....sorry, that's new to these ears...thanks for that ...*lol*
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  1:59:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogani and again thank you for taking the time to respond here....

quote:
Originally posted by yogani

Identified awareness (ego) isn't an illusion at the point it is occurring. It is a condition of consciousness. It is as real as what we are perceiving in the moment. If that is what we are at a point in time, I don't think it is wise to label it as "an illusion." We can only play from where we are. If we negate where we are, we've got nothing to work with, and will be prone to get stuck in that mind set.

Yes, this makes lots of sense. I didn't really mean that the "ego" is an "illusion" though. Sorry, my words/questions are not coming out very well I guess. What I am meaning to ask I guess it not "Is the ego an illusion", but more is "control" an illusion. Do we really have ANY control over anything? Even if we AREN'T "pure adviatin" as you call it, and we are making decisions from our "identified awareness", aren't the decisions we make just an illusion of control, regardless of how we "see" it? In reality, aren't the decisions we make just us thinking "we" are making a decision (whether we "know" this or not)? Can any decision be "good" or "bad"? And if it can't, isn't the idea of making a decision an illusion itself? Everything just Is regardless?

quote:

Isn't being aware of the illusion a way of "seeing through" it? From the above perspective there is nothing we can do to drop the illusion other then our practices. I don't know if I concur with this. I'm not suggesting "dwelling" on anything, but merely suggesting inquiring into the reality of things often seen as "real".

quote:

Can a realized advaitin create negative karma? He/she would not make the distinction between positive or negative, and would not claim to be creating anything. The point of view is that the entire universe is going on by itself within him/her/it. This point of view is totally confounding to anyone but another realized advaitin. It takes One to know One.

Sorry, again my words are not communicating what I am trying to ask. I didn't mean "Can a realized advaitin create negative karma", I meant "Can a realized advaitin's decision have a negative karmic outcome"? Or are you meaning to say that no outcome can be negative?

Love,
Carson

Edited by - CarsonZi on May 19 2009 2:01:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5196 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  2:28:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carson:

If an inquiry into "illusion" promotes an expansion in consciousness (more peace and happiness in life), then it is in stillness (relational). If it becomes a mental proclamation about life being illusion, and only that (becoming more misery in life), it will not be in stillness (non-relational). That is the edge, and we are all obliged to find it for ourselves.

The realized advaitin does not recognize karma as being positive or negative, or karma at all. All actions and choices are seen as instinctively played out within their field of awareness, like a dream. If you apply all these questions to the dream state, it is a pretty good analogy for the advaitin's point of view about life. That is assuming the advaitin is not one of those people who is obsessed with their dreams, which would be a contradiction.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  2:32:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Yogani.

Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5196 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  2:41:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
PS: Someone may consider what an advaitin does to have a "negative" karmic effect. Like pushing beginners into premature (non-relational) self-inquiry leading to lots of misery. Kicking the dog, whatever... But the advaitin would not consider the consequences of their actions. They just act instinctively. That's why I say thank goodness for the natural presence of yama and niyama in the enlightened, because they are no longer discriminating like the rest of us. So, which advaitin can you trust? This is a can of worms, isn't it?

Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  2:48:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes sir.....if worms even exist (kidding)

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5196 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  2:51:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5196 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  3:20:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
PPS: The good news is that the guru in you knows...

Go to Top of Page

Suryakant

USA
259 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  3:33:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

All actions and choices are seen as instinctively played out within their field of awareness, like a dream. If you apply all these questions to the dream state, it is a pretty good analogy for the advaitin's point of view about life.

yes
Go to Top of Page

Steve

277 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  3:54:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steve's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Carson, Katrine, Yogani,

Excellent dialogue. Great questions, wonderful responses ... clarity. This is a beautiful example of what makes this forum so special for everyone. Thank you all.

Love and Light,
Steve
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  4:36:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  10:00:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
ahhhhhhh

such clarity and wisdom being shared..............

i like this new forum- i did have the sense the previous rubric - karma,bahkti and jnana-was bulging a little, there were 3 big subjects there, interwoven,interconnected; the splicing is really nice and apt.

ahhhhhhhhh
this is very special.thankyou, very nice wise pple.

quote:
Like pushing beginners into premature (non-relational) self-inquiry leading to lots of misery.(Like)Kicking the dog, whatever..

yeah, i arrived at this one a few days ago. that, a dose of self-inquiry is fine. it's not neccessary or even helpful to overdo it. i.e one can overdo self-inquiry, relative to where we are. it is gd to feel rather than think something,.the self-iinqury skirts around the edges as it is not solved by mind but through stillness.

much love,
with love,

Edited by - Akasha on May 19 2009 10:19:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5196 Posts

Posted - May 25 2009 :  5:17:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carson and All:

I took our interchange from this topic, added to it, mainly at the end, and posted it as a new lesson called:

"Advaita (non-duality), Free Will and Karma"
http://www.aypsite.org/334.html

More nitty gritty on self-inquiry.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - May 25 2009 :  5:39:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, thank you Yogani....another beautifully written lesson. You're on FIRE! Haha. The extra end part was perfect as well. Thank you.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000