Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 I don't look forward to practicing!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JDas

USA
74 Posts

Posted - May 09 2009 :  7:07:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit JDas's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I can't figure it out. I believe in the power of meditation, to redirect perspective, open up a love channel and provide means by which 'The Witness' comes out from the shadows. I have written about meditation. I have encouraged others to meditate. Heck, I've even given a talk about it a group of people. Yet, I, myself, do not look forward to meditating. It is a practice that I believe in, yes, and I believe that the experience is changing me, but meditation for me is akin to taking care of the dental ablutions. It's not necessarily pleasurable, but something I feel I must do, that is good for my mind. On occasion, the meditative experience has been pleasant, but not often. I often fidget and thoughts abound. I change up my technique frequently. At first I silently intoned 'Iam,' but then changed that to another mantra or began focusing on my breath. I would say the experience is most often unsettling. Any advice? Maybe I should try using mala beads? Dunno.

Tks.

Jon

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - May 09 2009 :  8:41:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi JDas.

The most important thing with meditation is how you feel in your daily life over the middle-long term and the changes you see in you life. pleasurable or unpleasant meditation is only scenary,and the way your inner system is being purified.It really doesnt matter.

Just stick with it,no matter wich kind of meditation you use...the most important thing is daily practice (or almost daily practice,take it easy if you feel good). I think is good to experience different kinds of meditation,and if you think you want to use mala beads..why no?,just enjoy you path and feel free!
With daily practice,no matter wich tools you use,the path you are following will lead you to that place and practice that is right for you.
Im sure time will put things in the right order.And like with comfortable and uncomfortable meditations,it will pass,because its a phase,your phase now.
Carry on,like brushing your teeth, is my advice!
I wish you all the best

Edited by - miguel on May 09 2009 8:59:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - May 09 2009 :  8:44:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Are you following AYP program? It sounds like you are mixing in things and being variable. You have to find a particular practice regimen and stick with it. For ever! Mala beads would just be another distracting thing, unless that is part of your path or faith somehow.

Your right, practice is like dental flossing, one has to make it a habit of doing and just getting on with life. Perhaps after years of practice or even weeks one will get over the novelty or mystical stuff and it is just like sitting there. That is probably the most important time since, if one is doing correct and invariable practice at that point, the Silence is really mixing in to waking state. Its almost like Mindfulness meditation, but not.

One practical step is just to commit to one short practice session during the day. One day you will expand or give it up. Who says meditation is for everyone? There are other paths, like Guru relationship, Bhakti, and so forth. Sometimes life requires certain attention or experience too, and then spiritual practice can take a natural "vacation". Life becomes the practice.

-- jo-self

Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - May 10 2009 :  01:20:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jon,

These feelings are normal, bro. I've been through periods where meditation was a real drag. Fortunately it's just a phase and will pass if you stick with it.

The only advice really is just stick with it. You see the value of doing so already. Just be with the discomfort and it will pass eventually.

Peace
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - May 10 2009 :  01:31:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You should be doing TWO short meditation sessions per day.
It sounds like you are not relaxing and letting go.
Do you use caffeine? That can make it difficult for some people.
The other advice is correct; stick with it, and you don't need to look forward to it.
It should be the quietist time of your day. And make sure you have bhakti several times a day when you are not meditating.
Go to Top of Page

JDas

USA
74 Posts

Posted - May 10 2009 :  8:24:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit JDas's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your input. I'm not gonna give up. I know from experience that sometimes you just have gut things through and feel from your gut, your heart, as you do so. I know I'm on the right path, and I need folks like you to give a little pat on occasion.

Love,

Jon
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - May 10 2009 :  9:00:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by JDas

I can't figure it out.

of course we cant figure it out, so why are you trying to?
brother neil
Go to Top of Page

JDas

USA
74 Posts

Posted - May 23 2009 :  09:24:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit JDas's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Roger that, brother.
It's getting better. Guess my ego is looking for some kind of pleasure but of course that's not there. Relax that and let the stillness speak for itself, be itself.

Can't say I look forward to it, but the resistance is abating. It seems.

Tk you and you and you.

Jon

quote:
Originally posted by brother neil

quote:
Originally posted by JDas

I can't figure it out.

of course we cant figure it out, so why are you trying to?
brother neil

Go to Top of Page

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - May 24 2009 :  09:55:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
One is training onself to relax,let go completely.

Easier with a daily practice.. If one stops for a few days ,resistance to the practice(letting go) returns.

The we need to balance that with self-pacing.i.e popssible over-doing, or just riding right through it.

I find most of my tension is in my legs(especially if i attempt to do DM in a sitting posture rather than on a seat) and front of the head( eyebrow frontal region, where my 'concentration' is holding on,not letting go)> If I let go at these places,and don't struggle,can start enjoying the practice once again. And even look forawrd to it, wanting to be in it.

I'm still unlcear if one finds one vibrating with the mantra during the day(outisde practice) if that might create over-load(got that by increasing freq. of practice to twice daily.)

What i mean here^- is if one feel 'ayam' when at the post office or in a queue, or a subway or whatever- not sure if that will create overload-(cos that may then be longer than 20 mins-perhaps this is self pacing) When it becomes a 24/7 vibration is what i mean- a 'waking state'.Could be just my thinkig mind dissecting/over analyzing this.

Have also thought one might want to change the vibration/mantra at some point change in the long-term,as it does change you from the inside-out, as a person. But for now,i should just stick with the 'ayam/ i am' mantra.

JDas,Good to hear DM may be experiencing something beneifical. i find all th explanations helpful to kickstart the process,so the enquiring mind is satiated to some extent.

Edited by - Akasha on May 24 2009 10:06:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

wigswest

USA
115 Posts

Posted - May 24 2009 :  2:42:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I personally came across a lot of difficulty when I switched from breath meditation to using a mantra. I actually quit meditating for a while, because it just "felt bad", forced; I felt like I was forcing my mind to think.

I've since backed off of the mantra, going back to breath awareness, and only using the mantra (usually "om") when it presents itself in my awareness, easily, and letting it go/returning to the breath when it goes away. I pray for guidance at the beginning of each session, and feel like it is being given to me :)
Go to Top of Page

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - May 24 2009 :  8:39:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi wigwest,

I had the same thing too. Passed after approx. 10-14 days.

As the initial tendency , need to vocalise the mantra ,felt at the back of throat,which was in turn restraining the breath, decreased, so the breath was let go, and mental refinement(& vibratory maturation) of the mantra ensued.

I hope you get wwhat i mean.

Some of the Mind/emotional changes you get with this practice may not all be always welcome,or a bit much , for the first couple of weeks,which could account for some folk abandoning DM/AYP as a bit too radical.It is powerful becuase it changes you from the inside-out from the inner-most sheath i'm imagining to the food sheath. When we operate from manamayakosha and beyond to the bliss sheath the breath( pranamayokoasha, the 2nd) should take care of itself. This is just theory. The trick is to just stick with the practice,& test it out.

And you are not thinking the mantra-though maybe you can do that!(?)- you are feeling it's vibration and from what i can gather flushing out impuriites( in the nervous system) through it's deployment between the thought-cascade bubbling brook stream-of-consciousness permeating the Mind.The vibration is also ,as well as fllushing allowing our neural,neural-spiritual and enrgetic pathways and passageways ,there to allow our natural re-wiring to flow & engage us more harmoniously.

The Mind is one huge ELEPHANT, that loves to play tricks on us and when i stopped DM for 3 days i noticed it when i committed to returning to the practic, once again.

Fanning it with the gentle flames of bahkti, that burning desire fuelled by a sure & steady realisation that hey this is all gonna work, i'kll be enlightened in no time, and you're all right. When you've effected some noticeable psycho-physical changes , then some gentle* self-inquiry can come into its own element. The whole system fits rather well,like peices in a jigsaw puzzle.

Do the practices like brushing your teeth.That,then it's no big deal!!

Know you will reach the TOP of that Mountain,like there is one,(as there are many peaks, in truth) in no time.AYP is like the Mount Kailash of the Himalayas, but there are plenty of sherpas and porters here to carry yourluggage and make the ascent smooth,sweetly-paced and beautifully scenic,along the way.

ENJOY the journeeey,wigwest.! Your prayers will be answered.

When you stop to admire the view once ang again,as you should, enjoy yourself, you will come to enjoy this ascent to Zion- in making your perhpas weary 1st pilgrim steps here you are, quite literally as well as figuratively , reaching for the earth, the sky and the heavans, all at once, in spiritual terms.

......<<<<<<<-----Expansion------>>>>>>>......

You will be guided well by the Hand and heart of God

God bless!

Edited by - Akasha on May 24 2009 11:02:09 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000