Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Eyes - burning/stinging
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sheila

USA
17 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  1:28:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Greetings to all.

Should I be concerned - as I go deeper into meditation, I feel an intense burning/stinging sensation in my eyes (my seeing eyes, not the third eye) causing them to water involutarily, similar to the sensation felt during rising fever/temperature (such as when you have the flu). I guess my concern is an energy overload in /around my eyes causing damage of some sort. Has anyone ever experienced this?

Further, this sensation is accompanied by insects crawling around the scalp/crown, though this is quite pleasurable and does not bother me at all.

My daily (mostly once daily, and only 4-5 times/week) practice includes 7-8mins SBP, 15-20mins meditation, 3-5mins Samayama.

Any thoughts? Thank you.

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  1:58:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sheila

Welcome to the forum

Yes...it is time to self-pace. I suggest you cut down on meditation time. Try 5 min of Spinal Breathing Pranayama and 10 min of Deep Meditation....just that...and see if that helps. Don't worry - you are not in danger, but the symptoms sound like they are caused by an energy overload....so in order not to create bigger problems, it is wise to self-pace. Here is a post written more than 3 years ago...when i experienced sunburn....Yogani and others offered really good advise in it:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=828

And just in case you haven't read it, here is one of Yoganis lessons on self-pacing:

http://www.aypsite.org/38.html

The best of luck to you Sheila

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  1:58:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like purification Sheila... and I guess you already know that.

Do you practice sambhavi mudra? This sometimes strains the eyes and can make the eyes burn and water. I used to get that a lot when I began with sambhavi mudra. If that is the case, don't turn your eyes upward much.. just make an intent of eyes up, but not physically moving them up. If that is not the case, you can try and cut back on your meditation and/or samyama time (the amount of time you have your eyes closed) and see if that helps. I don't think it will damage your eyes in anyway. However if it continues for a long time.. maybe come back and tell us, and we can figure something out.

The ant crawling on the top of the head is crown activity. An itty bitty bit of crown that feels calm and pleasant it is fine. If there is however pressure building or too much energy moving up, its a definite sign to self pace. Also, always keep in mind to do spinal breathing, root to third eye, don't go to the crown, and try not to put too much attention to the crown during practices.

Hope this helps. Wish you the best.
Go to Top of Page

christiane

Lebanon
319 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  2:51:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit christiane's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

Thank you for this topic..
It's been about 2 months I have burning and tired eyes..
There could be many causes for that: computer, liver fatigue,
toxins discharge..
But actually, the time I spend in front of my PC is far lesser than before.. also I'm watching my food, and there's no extremes in my diet..
Reading your old post, Katrine, was very interesting..
and when I looked at the doshas index, I noticed that I was almost 100% eating the food listed in the Pitta "yes" category..
But what does the "yes" mean? is it food that calms down the Pitta excess? or does it nourrish it? coz I feel I really need a greater amount of cooling food..
I don't have specific symptoms except the burning eyes..
or maybe I'm not aware enough? the thing is it's been several days now that I don't feel having enough energy to do the pranayama I usually do.. I feel more inclined to do "softer" practices like AYP deep med and other simple meditations..
I went through - and still going through - chaotic eating and mind/emotions heavy activity.. Also I feel I need to sleep deeply during the day, and until now, it feels quite rejuvenating..
So, things are not clear enough.. gona watch it, especially before and after deep meditation.. I think there's a lot of purification going through, coz I do only 10 minutes of AYP DM, and I literally fall in deep "sleep" state, to the point I feel my head very heavy and just need to really sleep..

Just sharing...

Edited by - christiane on May 08 2009 2:56:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sheila

USA
17 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  5:51:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, all. I am so glad for the wisdom and experience of this forum, which allows people like me to stay on the path, rather than flee at the first sign of trouble.

Katrine - I will remember to self pace, I have always considered myself very insensitive to practices, so I am kind of surprised that I should have any sensations at all.

Shanti - astute observation re Sambhavi. The odd thing is that I feel no burning during SBP with Sambhavi. It is only when I start meditation (after SBP), eyes closed with no sambhavi, that I feel this burning. Strange, huh?

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  6:10:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Sheila

The odd thing is that I feel no burning during SBP with Sambhavi. It is only when I start meditation (after SBP), eyes closed with no sambhavi, that I feel this burning. Strange, huh?

Not really.. your eyes will feel strained and burn after sambhavi and at times during depending on how much you are forcing your eyes to move up. Tiny blood vessels break if we push too far.. and this results in the burning and watering when the eyes are back to the normal position. I would actually have red eyes at times. So yes, try to be gentle and not force the eyes.. that helped me a lot. Very easy raising of the eyes. In time you will get used to it and will be able to move it up higher without strain.

Here is what Yogani says in the lesson:

There are two main components to sambhavi. First is a gentle furrowing of the brow, the point between the eyebrows. It is bringing the two eyebrows slightly toward the center. This is barely physical, mostly just an intention. It is only physical enough to allow feedback for a habit to form.

The second component of sambhavi is a physical raising of the eyes toward the point where the furrowing is happening at the point between the eyebrows. The sensation of furrowing at the point between the eyebrows is where the eyes will go. This will involve some raising and some centering of the eyes. We keep the eyes comfortably closed as we do it. We don’t force the eyes. In the beginning, they may not go as far up as we would like. That is okay. Do not force them. Just let them gravitate naturally toward the sensation of furrowing at the point between the eyebrows. Again, it is a subtle physical habit we want to cultivate.
Go to Top of Page

Sachin1356

India
1 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2017 :  06:11:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

I am experiencing the same thing that you mentioned. What should be next? and how to handle it?

quote:
Originally posted by Sheila

Greetings to all.

Should I be concerned - as I go deeper into meditation, I feel an intense burning/stinging sensation in my eyes (my seeing eyes, not the third eye) causing them to water involutarily, similar to the sensation felt during rising fever/temperature (such as when you have the flu). I guess my concern is an energy overload in /around my eyes causing damage of some sort. Has anyone ever experienced this?

Further, this sensation is accompanied by insects crawling around the scalp/crown, though this is quite pleasurable and does not bother me at all.

My daily (mostly once daily, and only 4-5 times/week) practice includes 7-8mins SBP, 15-20mins meditation, 3-5mins Samayama.

Any thoughts? Thank you.

Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2017 :  07:13:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sachin,

Welcome to the AYP forums. You already found the answers in the older posts above. From own experience I can say this is purification and it will pass. If symptoms are unpleasant you can use self-pace, (linked already in one of the reply's above -lesson 38)

No worries, good things are happening
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2017 :  8:44:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Watery eyes, involuntary tears, sneezing, coughing, yawning - they all can be symptoms of purification if they occur during the practice. They will pass. If uncomfortable, self-pace, as Charliedog advises.

Best wishes
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000