New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2005 :  08:36:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone

I have been practicing AYP as a stand alone practice now for 15 months and the changes in my personal and everyday life have become very noticeable.

Over the past two or three months my personal relationships have improved 100% I suppose this must be down to my behaviour although I don’t feel that I am behaving any differently.

Complete strangers have begun to smile at me in the street, very unusual for the UK, I am beginning to think I must be walking around with a silly grin on my face, but having checked I’m not.

I was wondering if anyone else has been experiencing this sort of thing.

Blessings

RICHARD

Edited by - AYPforum on Feb 05 2007 8:53:25 PM

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2005 :  09:58:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Richard,

I too am waiting for such a change to happen with me. I am with AYP for about 9 months now. What I felt is most of the times I used to think I changed (due to some mental suggestion) only to find that I dint change at all when some emotionally disturbing event happens.

I think such a change will take time for me. Good to see you there. More hope for me :)

If you want your neighbor to believe in God, let him see what God can make you like. - Emerson
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2005 :  11:57:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Richard,

people have definitely been finding me much easier to get along with since I started meditation, (can you imagine what I was like way back when? ) and the people who have known me for a long time have commented.

-D
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2005 :  12:31:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just a couple of thoughts based on my own experience. As always, mileage may vary!

Richard, yeah, me too. But I think it's important to bear closely in mind that it's because we've cleared off lots of crud from our windshields, and that crud was what was causing problems for us! It's not that our work is "paying off" by building up our wonderfulness factor. And, moreover, this is all just nice, pleasant side effect to the thing we're really doing. We don't want to get attached to the social result, or to some concept of ourselves as being on a self-improvement binge. We're who and what we always were, just with less crud (blocking our view out as well as others' view in!). And don't worry...plenty of people will still dislike you, bad fortune will befall you, you'll still be as hapless as ever, etc. The key thing is it will matter a LOT less, because you won't fall less in love with life and the world when things aren't "just so".

Nearoanoke, we spend our entire lives working on stuff with goals in mind. It's the very nature of our existence. And that's precisely what we're trying to transcend with yoga: goal oriented actions. You may already know this, but it bears reminding (remind me, too!): this isn't like basketball or crossword puzzles or learning French - something to work up a ladder and get good at. It's just background process - something to do, every day, like brushing our teeth. I'm sure you're feeling a degree of delight from the practices...an inner indication that what you are doing needs very deeply to be done. I'd suggest sticking with that feeling. It's enough. Any more turns it into a mind thing, and the mind is what we're trying to transcend.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2005 :  10:48:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Life has become easier for me. noticeably less stress, and that's something i have worked to reduce for decades. i have always made progress, off and on, but a quantum leap recently since I started Iam meds ;)

The nature of time has changed for me. Work day doesn't seem so long anymore. I actually appreciate work sometimes. Time seems to go by even quicker than before, but easier, and I don't mind. I'm not worried about anything. I want to get rid of a lot of material possessions.

I've always had a strong sexual urge and felt there was something spiritual involved but didn't know how to implement it. not having orgasms helps
accelerate the practices greatly.
In the past I always felt the need to release sexual energy periodically because i didn't know what else to do with it, and i didn't like the way I acted when it built up. i would find myself staring inappropriately, or making comments about how beautiful some woman is when my intellectual friends were describing her academic achievements, etc.
So now I feel so much better that I can put that energy to a good use.

I think people can sense increased prana and are attracted to it.
Combine this with losing all "need" for anything from others, and it's
a recipe for people liking you more.

Speaking of transending goal oriented actions, in one Castaneda book,
his guru the sorcerer Don juan had him perform long actions that had no purpose at all. I tried it too, and it really changes the way you look at things. For instance, for a week I would not do anything for personal enjoyment; only essentials. Then one week whenever I had personal time I tried doing actions that had no goal, or "enjoyment". it helps see yourself better.

Jim, didn't you mention in another thread that your K had risen? What differences have you noticed from that? Mostly inner acceleration, or?

Etherfish
Go to Top of Page

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2005 :  12:46:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello everyone,
It's always interesting to share personal experiences on the path, even if they in the grand picture are just part of the "scenery". I have been doing AYP for about 11 months, and started to feel changes not too far from the start. The first were probably that I could feel some type of "blanket" over my forehead that would shield me a little from energies from other people, so I could act more freely myself. Later, this has changed so I am more sensitive to others instead, but without feeling affected by them as much in my own energies, but rather still feeling stable within. Also, attachment to some things or persons have started to dissolve somewhat, but strangely enough I don't feel like I care less anyway (for the persons). Looking forward to hear experiences from more of us.
Go to Top of Page

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2005 :  12:49:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish

I think people can sense increased prana and are attracted to it.
Combine this with losing all "need" for anything from others, and it's
a recipe for people liking you more.

I like this. Especially I am feeling this losing "need" for anything in return from others. I knew it before. Now I feel it.

Genes are a result of karma RATHER THAN A CAUSE OF IT - Yogani
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2005 :  02:08:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hmmm....I saw this thread in the active topics list, so I responded to the top posting - forgetting that it was old and I'd already replied!

I replied to the new talk only tangentially. but I'm beat and need to go to bed. So....maybe more tomorrow. sorry for the poor postmanship (and for repeating myself!).

-------------

All that is happening (and all that WILL happen) is that whatever previously blocked your connections to others - in other words, whatever caused them to NOT react well to you before - is being cleared away.

This includes obvious, superficial things like smiling (btw, you're not smiling more...you've eliminated the factors suppressing your natural smile) or more subtle things (you previously had trouble with eye contact or put out a vibe of insecurity and anxiety, etc etc because you were tightly bound up in illusion...and the illusion's loosening).

You're not adding on powers and skills and qualities. you're not "getting better". Yoga is subtractive. Caked-on mud is being removed from your windshield. And the resultant clarity helps you see out (much better) and helps other see in (a tiny bit, because others are viewing through lots of mud of their own).

AGain: you're not adding anything. You're not improving. You're just cleaning off mounds and mounds of crud. And MAN doesn't it feel great? When you discover what was under the crud all along you'll be pretty surprised (actually,you'll discover what you've been actively burying in crud as fast as you could, completely oblivious, for your entire life). Congratulations on going the other way. AYP is very strong and very fast (mostly because it trims away lots of non-essential stuff you'd otherwise be experimenting with and getting distracted over). Enjoy the stripping away of a lot of glommed on crap. Keep stripping. Keep letting stuff go. It all crumbles.

Kundalini awakening, fwiw, just gives you a few new tools to do this crud-clearing process a bit more effectively. That's it. It's not something you can put on your resume.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Dec 07 2005 02:24:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2005 :  07:48:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Jim- that's exactly what I've been wondering about for years.

So it's like a huge new squeegee and sponge.
Those of us with a limp Kundalini wonder what it's like ;)
and DAMN! I was almost done composing my new resume complete with emoticons and a cartoon erect Kundalini. I thought my phone would be ringing off the hook with offers of big money. :O

Etherfish
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2005 :  11:41:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess Kundalini is great in terms of having more energy available for the internal house-cleaning but the other thing about Kundalini is that it is a double edged sword, your body becomes very high-maintenance.

For me energy levels were initially harder to manage, especially in the first 6 months, but I still have to be careful. I am more sensitive to what I eat, when I eat, how much I sleep etc. Practices are easier to over-do as well and "prana-burn" can remind you of this but overall it is definitely a wonderful part of the journey that brings new dimensions to your life.

Anthem
Go to Top of Page

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2005 :  1:26:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anthem,

How did you feel when your kundalini got awakened first time? I think the effects must be significant, (like some big movement in the spine?).

Once awakened can it become dormant again or it will be active from then always? I read gopikrishna say that once kundalini is awakened it takes about 5-10 years for enligtenment. Somehow fixed numbers like that sound doubtful to me. anyway whats your view on that?

-Near

Genes are a result of karma RATHER THAN A CAUSE OF IT - Yogani
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2005 :  6:31:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All:

Kundalini is not a beginning or an end really. It is the long process of awakening ecstatic conductivity that never ends, because it keeps going, reaching eventually far beyond our physical body. It is the physical aspect of our infinite pure bliss conscousness unfolding on the material plane. It is both a manifestation and a realization of That. The refining perception (pratyahara) and the ever-expanding neurobiological dynamic go together.

If kundalini is forced, at can be a rough beginning, with big jerks and upheavals -- all that stuff in lesson #69. With less forced methods it can begin very smooth and gentle, like some nice sexual feelings going up from the pelvis into the spine and the rest of the body that keep expanding deliciously over years and years. Either way, kundalini is really felt instantly everywhere, which is why I use the word "conductivity" to describe the underlying phenomenon which is instantly present everywhere in us through the vast wiring in the nervous system. But it starts in the sexual biology. No doubt about that. Once it is underway, the ability to pick up wherever we left off will be there, in this life or in the next one.

Interestingly, the root is awakened and connected via conductivity from many levels in our practices and body, including the head mudras. Later on, especially the head mudras. But in the beginning, it is more involved with siddhasana, kumbhaka, bandhas, and tantric sex too. It starts in the basement, but the main stimulation and control is ultimately from the attic.

Well, however it is in the beginning, it will smooth out over time with good practices and self-pacing, and be much less overbearing as time goes on. You can be sure of that if you are on the path of self-paced yoga practices. Then it will be refining to ecstatic bliss, and pouring out all over the place via our internally illuminated acts. And then we don't see how we ever could have been any other way. It is our natural state coming out. It is a homecoming!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2005 :  6:40:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Near,
I don't believe anyone can put a time on enlightenment and there are different levels of enlightenment. The Golden age association in India claim to give instant enlightenment to thousands but we know thats a scam don't we? My experiences of Kundalini awakening have all been positive with no problems at all but I think there is a big difference between spontaneous awakening and shaktipat.When one has a spontaneous awakening you would assume that the shakti knows when the body is pure enough for safe awakening but unfortunately this does not seem to be the case as ones who have had problems can testify.When I was given shaktipat by Guruji I was not allowed to leave the ashram for 10 days to ensure he could keep a watchful eye on me. The few occasions I did leave the ashram I was with my guru.I enclose my experiences of shaktipat for your interest.
As promised here are my experiences of shaktipat.
Day 1
It feels as though everyones has been waiting for me, there's monks
from the Himalayas, local villagers,Avani(Neela's student) and
me.About 40 of us I would guess.Neela tells me instead of the normal
place in the underground temple we are to receive shaktipat at
Dhyanyogi's maha samadhi which is indeed an honour.I had visited it
the day before and the energy is superb and guruji has told Neela to
put Avani and myself at the front in pole position.Lucky us.Guruji
will be sitting directly next to the life size statue of his guru
and his ashes, we are at bottom of the three steps directly in
front, and neela behind us.(probably to catch us heheheh)Two of the
sisters who assist guruji and run the school on the ashram start the
chanting of Ram which we all join in. I haven't a clue what I'm
doing but I'm just blending in with everyone else.(well as much as
the only white man can heheheheh)After a while they have us chanting
after them the Bhutta shuddi mantra before guruji joins us.He
enters ,walks around the maha samadhi and walks up the
steps,postrates himself to Dhyan yogis tomb and then sits
down.Shortly he starts chanting prayers,mantrasetc.Hell I haven't a
clue what he's chanting,luckily Neela has been asked to explain some
of it to me during procedures.We were given an Asan to sit on at the
beginning which somehow during the proceedings he charges
permanently with energy when we touched our hands to it.Even now
when I sit on it my head throbs it's so powerful.Ok so now we have
probably been sat cross legged for an hour and my knees are seized.
heehheheh.Then all around me people start breathing rapidly through
their noses and Neela has indicated I do the same.This is to remove
the air from the stomach and I'm thinking I will hyperventilate but
surprisingly I don't and I'm still on this planet.Guruji comes down
the steps and approaches me.He places his thumb on my third eye and
fingers on my crown.I don't feel anything.He tilts my head back and
gently pushes me backwards to lay me down.I still feel nothing.As
I'm laid there I'm thinking 'well I can't feel anything but Neela
told me to just go with any thoughts or feelings that came my way'
so I just lay quietly as the music plays and the recording of his
chanting continues.After about 5 mins I find my right arm starts to
move on its own.It lifts up to my shoulder and stops.Then my left
arm follows suit and left hand covers my heart chakra.My right hand
covers my left on the heart chakra and with both hands over my heart
chakra my top of body starts shaking violently.This must go on for
well over a half hour and probably longer, I can't tell even though
I am fully conscious.Eventually the music stops and the shaking
subsides.I open my eyes preparing to get up and see that most have
already left and gone.My eyes are like owls and we go to sit with
guruji around an open fire before dinner.Then its back to my room
for meditation and sleep.Only trouble is I can't sleep and am sat in
a small armchair until 4.30 am shaking uncontrollably before I go to
bed and rise at 7 am.Well that was day 1 of shaktipat and 3 more to
go.
Well day 2 was just as dramatic as day 1.We gathered in Dhyanyogis
maha samadhi again and the chanting started as before.Once again
guruji came down the steps,placed his thumb on my third eye and
fingers on crown and laid me down again.As I lay again fully
conscious I had my right knee bent to prevent my back aching laid
flat out.Within about 10 mins my other leg moved up to the same
position alongside my right leg and my body started to roll on the
base of my spine.Guruji walked up and transferred further energy
through both sides of my head using his peacock feather staff.I
could feel the energy moving up my spine and at certain times in my
root chakra.The rocking on my spine continued for about half an hour
and I experienced my arms going numb and feelings of ants crawling
on my face and back of hand.After we had food again to ground the
energies and I returned to my room to meditate further.I still
couldn't sleep.
Day 3
Back to the maha samadhi but this time as I was sat up while the
chanting continued I started rocking on the base of my spine again
even before guruji touched me.I thought 'well I've had lower half
trembling and upper body trembling ,whats next whole body
trembling?' Yep, sure enough my whole body started shaking
uncontrollably , I could feel my body tingling and the ants crawling
again.Sat up again till 3.40 am before bed shaking uncontrollably.I
heard a voice in my head saying 'don't worry I'll always be with
you' and gold symbols flashed before my eyes.Got about 1 hrs sleep.
Day 4
We started in the maha samadhi which we had decorated as it was
Dhyan yogi's birthday and started the shaktipat chanting in there
before moving into the main hall where guruji had told us to take
seats at the front again.When he rose he put the peacock feathers on
my forehead and then after his thumb on third eye and fingers on
crown.When he walked past I remained sat for a few minutes and then
fell over to one side onto my side.Shortly my right leg started
shaking uncontrollably, slight pain up my back as the energy moved
upwards and then I felt as if I had a blanket of energy laid over me
pinning me to the floor.I couldn't move and after about half an hour
of the shaking it stopped and I thought of getting up.I still
couldn't move so I decided if I put my hand out then maybe guruji
might help me up.Then my left arm started to move on it's own and
lifted, my fingers came together pointed and my hand writhed as if
it was a snakes head before stretching out with my hand outstretched
as if I was holding a begging bowl.Now I was stuck as I couldn't
move my hand now and no one came to my assistance.After a short
while Neela came up to me and I thought she would help me up but
simply covered me with her shawl and walked away.Thanks Neela you
are a pal! As I lay there I heard the music stop,start again and then
everyone started singing and dancing.This must have gone on for
about half an hour before they all stopped and then prepared to sit
and have their meal.I'm still laid ,pinned down by the energy on my
own and my left arm had moved so my hand was wrapped around my right
shoulder pulling me further into the floor.Neela came up and asked
me to get up but I couldn't and told her so.She grounded the energy
down my back and I slowly pushed myself up only to find my head
spinning and very unsteady on my feet.I later sat near where guruji
was chanting in a room and the kriyas started again just with the
sound of his voice.After going to bed I sat with more shaking and
had a vision of Ganesh and when I opened my eyes the wall which was
white had changed to a plum colour with a symbol embossed all over
it.Then I had flashes of myself changing from my clothes into a grey
turban and loin cloth before I finally went to sleep.
Other experiences while in bed on other nights included waking and
feeling of euphoria and a voice saying 'I am giving you a glimpse of
true bliss' which promptly faded as the words ended.Another night
Linda(my wife) woke me when ringing me and as I awoke there was a fantastic
smell of roses in the room which was so powerful, just like the
roses on the maha samadhi.

'the mind can see further than the eyes'
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2005 :  12:53:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Near,

I don't think I can improve upon the two posts by Yogani and riptiz for description purposes. I am sure everyone will have varying experiences that are unique to their own blockages and nervous system etc. I can only say for me that initially there was poweful feelings of euphoria (like a giant inner smile) mixed with sexuality that I was more aware of in my chakras than spine. Over time, the surges balanced and spread out and now it is a steady inner white presence that is there in varying degrees of intensity which seems to be random.

It has never gone dormant for me but there have been periods of lower intensity and higher intensity. I can only guess this is related to the rise and clearing of blockages in the nervous system. Over the period of months though, there has been a steady growth in my awareness of this flow of energy inside.

I agree with riptiz, I don't think anyone can put a time on enlightenment. I am certain that practices, status of a person's nervous system, whether or not pre-mature crown opening ititiated the process etc. would all be factors that would likely affect the duration of the process.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2005 :  10:47:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I wont be able to tell you how it feels when Kundalini rises. I have read so many experiences that people have had, and I tried so hard to feel these things and all I got out of it was frustrations... After I started doing the AYP method, I realized that the physical experience was not the goal..the goal was inner silence. For the past few days I have been thinking of how much I have changed during the last year. There was no drastic change, never saw a light, no movements up my spine.... it has been a very slow change, but now I do see it, now I see what Yogani means by the inner silence being with you at all time... things happen in my life, that a few years back I would have over reacted to.. it happens now.. I still don't like it.. but it no longer seems important enough to loose sleep over. Its like I see it, I feel it, but I don't participate in it. And then I am amazed at myself, how did I do this....its like I am changing and I don't recognize myself at times. I still have a long way to go and a few really big issues I have to get over... but when I think of the smaller thing, that I did not even know were a problem, dissolve away... I have faith the bigger things will dissolve away in this inner silence too. It is a very confusing stage, but I like it. I wish I could explain this better.
-Shanti
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2005 :  2:17:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Shanti,
You are correct experiences are simply experiences , nothing else.The inner silence you are now feeling as things dissolve is more imortant but even these are considered immaterial sometimes.Nearness to God is considered the ultimate traditionally but I feel to try and improve yourself for the benefit of not only yourself but for others and to help others is one of the most important things to look for.
L&L
Dave

'the mind can see further than the eyes'
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2005 :  11:38:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Anthem11

I guess Kundalini is great in terms of having more energy available for the internal house-cleaning but the other thing about Kundalini is that it is a double edged sword, your body becomes very high-maintenance.

Bravo, Anthem. Yes. It's very much like puberty (Yogani's analogy). You get some new biology, but things aren't quite the same, and there's stuff to attend to and watch out for. It's supposed to be a spiritual thing, but it feels really biological. Those who haven't had it ain't missing much. Just close your eyes, listen for mantra, and let go. That's everything....all you need.

I have some thoughts on the energy stuff. I need to clear away enough time to write them down. see my postings in the taoist versus yoga thread for a little bit of it.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Dec 09 2005 11:41:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2005 :  11:40:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I read gopikrishna say that once kundalini is awakened it takes about 5-10 years for enligtenment. Somehow fixed numbers like that sound doubtful to me.

fixed numbers like that are doubtful.

Some stuff you read gives you a buzz. Pay attention to that stuff. Some stuff just makes you wrinkle your nose. Don't read that stuff. :) :)
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2005 :  11:36:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Melissa

In this somewhere else - I WAS everything and everything and everyone was connected. and it was the most awesome experience ever. But I haven't been able to get back there, no matter how much Pink Floyd plays in the background!

Hi Melissa:

It was a peek between the clouds on the path of purification. While it seemed there was a choice, it really depends on finishing the housecleaning project -- clearing the clouds. And we all know how to do that by now. That is the real choice we have.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2005 :  2:48:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Getting back to Richard’s original post, I think this is a great topic and would like to share my observations on it. I find that the positive changes that have occurred in my daily life far surpass any of the individual experiences I have had (though they are fun too) and are turning my everyday living closer all the time into a dream come true the more I practice.

Like Richard mentions at the top, I have noticed a big improvement in the personal relationships in my life, particularly the ones that I used to find more challenging. It is hard to pin-point exactly why, other than that I notice far less friction when interacting, I think it has to do with having less ego involved, no longer feeling the need to impress or prove a point etc. People also seem more at ease around me for the most part too.

I also feel a lot calmer overall and have learned to let go of a lot of the tensions that can creep into the body over the course of a day from holding on to stress. I am finding it easier to create the reality that I want and am less disappointed when things don't go my way.

The change that makes me most happy though is having more empathy and compassion for others. When someone acts out or is angry, fearful etc., I find I now have a clearer understanding than I used to with why they are behaving in a particular way. This helps me see the reasons and motives for their actions and enables me to not take things personally.

Lastly, I have come to see “negative” emotions as just emotions and not something that has to grab on to me and/ or shape my behavior. Fear comes but it is just fear, nothing to get too worked up about etc. I find this very liberating.

I hope others will share the changes they have noticed since beginning practices as well.

Anthem
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2005 :  4:20:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That's a perfect description of my own experience. And I've confirmed it by having periods when I stop or slow practicing (unavoidable, my life is nuts, though I'm working to fix it), and I see these things go away...and then come back when I start again. So no doubt at all.

"having less ego involved, no longer feeling the need to impress or prove a point"

a lot of times this is translated as "detachment". Unfortunately, that's an awfully cold term, and it's easy to get the idea that you're supposed to be so aloof or withdrawn that nothing bugs you. It's not that...you're still engaged (in fact, more so) you just have less at stake in any given result. You immerse in the action but detach from the result.

If you notice this, and cultivate more of it (mostly by witnessing, and being aware how great it feels...though meditation itself will continue to grow it for you), it becomes your way of being. And this is one rare way in which outer experience is actually helpful in meditation. If, as you do practices, you find yourself getting pushy/grabby about "results" (or about anything else), apply this same detachment. Just let it go. Let it all go. More. More. More.

You have no idea how much you're still grabbing all the time ....or how much cumulative joy and ease you have to look forward to as you untie those knots! It's like a big mountain of chocolate to lick.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Dec 11 2005 4:25:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2005 :  03:39:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Have I been mentioning chocolate a lot? I do have a potent craving for it lately.

Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2005 :  10:54:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Jim and His Karma
Have I been mentioning chocolate a lot?

yes - I believe you compared samyama to 9 types of chocolate . . .
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2005 :  3:22:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That was MONTHS ago! Wow, you are a chocoholic.....
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2005 :  09:54:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
>>That was MONTHS ago! Wow, you are a chocoholic.....

no Jim - I just have a good memory.

-meglissa
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2005 :  11:30:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

C'mon Meg, you're a woman and your name begins with M. How much more individuality do you want? Don't worry about having chocolate written all over you. It's better than having it all over you.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000