New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  6:30:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Namaste Friends...

I'm hoping I have placed this topic correctly....I figured it fell under Self Inquiry so I placed it here...feel free to move it if you feel belongs somewhere else.

What I have been struggling with for a long long (may I repeat LONG) time, is what I call "the desire for justice". It is probably the largest obstacle in the way of me acheiving full surrender and being able to let go of any and every thing that happens around me. Every so often I run into a situation where I feel completely wronged, with no possibility for resolution. These are situations I find myself running over and over in my head, for years and years after the fact. I want to let go of them, I need to let go of them, I even know how to let go of them, but they still seem to pop up again and again in meditation and occasionally in regular life (although that is pretty rare). I find myself wishing I could see karma retributed, or have an opportunity to at least hash out a resolution myself, but this I know is fighting with reality. How do I let go of these situations, and the need for justice to be enacted in someway I can know about, to the point that they will no longer come up in meditation? Any advice?

Love,
Carson

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  7:15:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I sing this three times before meditation:

ALL MO-THER SEN-TI-ENT BE-INGS,
E-SPE-CIAL-LY THOSE E-NE-MIES
WHO HATE ME,
OB-STRUC-TORS WHO HARM ME,
AND THOSE WHO CRE-ATE OB-STA-CLES
ON MY PATH TO LI-BER-A-TION
AND OM-NI-SCIENCE,
MAY THEY EX-PER-I-ENCE
HAP-PI-NESS,
AND BE SE-PAR-A-TED
FROM SUF-FER-ING.
I WILL QUICK-LY E-STA-BLISH THEM
IN THE STATE OF
THE MOST PER-FECT AND PRE-CIOUS
BUD-DHA-HOOD

and this once

THUS, UN-TIL I ACH-IEVE EN-LIGH-TEN-MENT
I PER-FORM VIR-TU-OUS DEEDS
WITH BO-DY, SPEECH AND MIND.
UN-TIL DEATH,
WITH BODY, SPEECH AND MIND.
FROM NOW UN-TIL THIS TIME TO-MOR-ROW,
WITH BO-DY SPEECH AND MIND.

Your enemies and those obstructors who harm you are there because of your own karma. Anytime someone harms you, you should thank them for allowing you to pay back your karmic debt.

Love thy enemy.
Go to Top of Page

divinefurball

USA
138 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  7:20:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carson, you said "I find myself wishing I could see karma retributed" - I think having thoughts like these come up in meditation is a good sign that meditation is helping you work your way through them, and that you are on the path to freeing your heart by asking these questions. That has been my experience at some points. Thinking about these kinds of things led me to form a phrase that I too often have to re-consider, but find a great help: "lose your anger, free your heart".

All the best, divinefurball
Go to Top of Page

Parallax

USA
347 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  10:19:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Parallax's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Carson,

Good insights above. Awareness of the need to forgive is clearly an important first step.
I try to remember (with varying levels of success ) that the ones doing the "wrong-ing" are typically doing what they are doing in order to somehow overcome their own suffering, their own insecurities, their own feeling of lack, their own sense of separation from Self. Try to shift from wanting retribution to wanting them to be freed from their suffering and ignorance as Osel beautifully articulates in his post. I know you already know all of this intellectually, it the practical application that's the hard part...

Soooo, my advice is to keep doing what you are doing, ie burning your samskaras in the fires of your meditation. As your obstructions dissolve in your practices, so will the ego. And as the ego fades, no "I" remains to feel wronged. I'm not sure if your are practicing Samyama, but perhaps adding a "Forgiveness" sutra would help you to overcome this block.

Everything will fall into place in time...

Peace & Namaste

Go to Top of Page

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  11:31:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
On Samyam: Also try "Origin of my enemy."

Edited by - Konchok Ösel Dorje on Mar 27 2009 12:01:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  10:42:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Osel...
quote:
Originally posted by Konchok Ösel Dorje

Your enemies and those obstructors who harm you are there because of your own karma. Anytime someone harms you, you should thank them for allowing you to pay back your karmic debt.
Love thy enemy.

Thanks for your input my friend.....I am fairly well versed in Metta and what you sing before sitting reminds me of that. But my issue is not necessarily with "enemies" or even people that have directly harmed me. A lot of the desire for justice is felt because I feel that humanity has been wronged, the environment/Mother Earth has been wronged, etc etc. I want justice to be served to corrupt politicians and bankers, to corporate executives that value profits over human life, etc etc. I don't feel a need justice for myself and the people who have wronged me directly, or at least not as much or as often as I do for humanity, society and the environment as much. It isn't situations like me getting beat up at recess time in grade school and me wishing I could go back and hurt the bully back that keep popping up in meditation. It is situations like the so-called "stimulus package" or situations like what we (as colonists)have done to the Native Americans in North America, it is strong feelings about there being a need for justice in situations like these that seem to pop up continually in my mind during meditation. It is easy for me to let go of things that happen to me directly. I have a ton of great tools for these situations. It's the situations that don't involve me directly, but are still grave injustices that seem to stick around and cause me tension. Hope this clarifies a little.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  10:48:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi divinefurball....
quote:
Originally posted by divinefurball

Hi Carson, you said "I find myself wishing I could see karma retributed" - I think having thoughts like these come up in meditation is a good sign that meditation is helping you work your way through them, and that you are on the path to freeing your heart by asking these questions. That has been my experience at some points. Thinking about these kinds of things led me to form a phrase that I too often have to re-consider, but find a great help: "lose your anger, free your heart".

Yes, so true. Lose your anger, Free your Heart. I like that. I have acutally been working on losing my anger in practices. I have added a few pratices which are supposed to release tension from the abdomnen which is supposedly where angry emotions are stored. I do exercises like: laying on my back with my legs at a 90 degree in the air, toes pointed, and then I slap my hands in succession on the floor while holding the legs up for about 3-4 minutes. Same exercise is done (for the same amount of time) with the legs about 6 inches off the floor. I have just started practicing these movements though, so it is really too soon to tell if they are having any real positive effect. Thanks for your advice!

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  11:01:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste Parallax...
quote:
Originally posted by Parallax

Good insights above. Awareness of the need to forgive is clearly an important first step.

Yes, I agree. I DO have the awareness that forgiveness is an important first step, but it is hard for me to openly forgive someone when they don't care (or know) that what they are doing is harmful to someone. Easier to forgive someone who doesn't know, but not so easy to forgive someone who doesn't care that what they are doing is harmful to others. This really rubs me the wrong way, and I have issues letting go of being anger-filled at people like this.
quote:

I try to remember (with varying levels of success ) that the ones doing the "wrong-ing" are typically doing what they are doing in order to somehow overcome their own suffering, their own insecurities, their own feeling of lack, their own sense of separation from Self.

Yes it is always a good idea not to take things personally. And I too have varying degrees of success with this. What I find the most difficult to let go of, is when people are outright willing to cause others pain in order to benefit oneself. And I see this all around me. From industry to individuals.
quote:

Try to shift from wanting retribution to wanting them to be freed from their suffering and ignorance as Osel beautifully articulates in his post. I know you already know all of this intellectually, it the practical application that's the hard part...

Yes, you are right....I know all this in my mind, but putting it into action is hard. The hardest part for me is knowing that "wanting" others to be freed from their suffering is about the most I can do. I wish there was something more active I could do to create inner awakening within the masses.
quote:

Soooo, my advice is to keep doing what you are doing, ie burning your samskaras in the fires of your meditation. As your obstructions dissolve in your practices, so will the ego. And as the ego fades, no "I" remains to feel wronged. I'm not sure if your are practicing Samyama, but perhaps adding a "Forgiveness" sutra would help you to overcome this block.

Yes, I will continue to practice away, and yes, I do practice samyama most days. I will contemplate adding a Forgiveness sutra and see if I feel that will help at all. Thank you for all your advice.

Love,
Carson

Edited by - CarsonZi on Mar 27 2009 11:02:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  11:03:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Is that a book? Who is the author?

Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  5:25:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

quote:

Hey Carson, I took it to mean use "Origin of my enemy" as a Samyama sutra. But I could be mistaken...

Have you tried doing The Work on your desire for justice? It seems like a good candidate.

Peace
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  7:02:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi cosmic....
quote:
Originally posted by cosmic_troll

Have you tried doing The Work on your desire for justice? It seems like a good candidate.

Yeah I have done The Work on these issues. They aren't really issues in my mind, or in my life or anything....but they still keep popping into my head every so often during meditation. Which leads me to believe I haven't truly let go of them yet. The Work isn't helping with these ones
For example:
Issue: I feel that there has been a grave injustice done to the Native American Indians.
#1.Can you know this to be true? Yes.
#2.Can you positively know that this is true? Yes
#3.How does it make me feel to think this thought? Terrible. Like something should be done.
#4.Can I see a reason to drop this thought? Yes. It causes me pain and there is nothing I can do to serve justice in this matter.

But I still find myself having thoughts of the need for justice for the Native American Indians pop into my head during meditation. And this isn't even a topic I discuss with anyone, or want to. It just seems to "stick" and I don't know how to release it.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  9:20:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I see. Could these thoughts possibly be a call to action? For example, what would happen if you were to find a way to help the Native Americans or honor their culture? Would these thoughts then go away?
Go to Top of Page

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  9:30:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Hi Osel...
quote:

Love thy enemy.

Thanks for your input my friend.....I am fairly well versed in Metta and what you sing before sitting reminds me of that. But my issue is not necessarily with "enemies" or even people that have directly harmed me. A lot of the desire for justice is felt because I feel that humanity has been wronged, the environment/Mother Earth has been wronged, etc etc. I want justice to be served to corrupt politicians and bankers, to corporate executives that value profits over human life, etc etc. I don't feel a need justice for myself and the people who have wronged me directly, or at least not as much or as often as I do for humanity, society and the environment as much. It isn't situations like me getting beat up at recess time in grade school and me wishing I could go back and hurt the bully back that keep popping up in meditation. It is situations like the so-called "stimulus package" or situations like what we (as colonists)have done to the Native Americans in North America, it is strong feelings about there being a need for justice in situations like these that seem to pop up continually in my mind during meditation. It is easy for me to let go of things that happen to me directly. I have a ton of great tools for these situations. It's the situations that don't involve me directly, but are still grave injustices that seem to stick around and cause me tension. Hope this clarifies a little.

Love,
Carson

I really don't see any difference. Injustice is by people. These people are your obstructors. Without them, you would not feel a need to see justice served. This fixation is what obstructs you.

Edited by - Konchok Ösel Dorje on Mar 27 2009 9:42:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  9:34:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:

I meant it to be an object of your Samyama
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  11:06:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

I really don't see any difference. Injustice is by people. These people are your obstructors. Without them, you would not feel a need to see justice served. This fixation is what obstructs you.

The difference is that I don't usually feel that it is me in particular that is wronged. It is injustice itself that bothers me regardless of the entity involved.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2009 :  08:13:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

For example:
Issue: I feel that there has been a grave injustice done to the Native American Indians.
#1.Can you know this to be true? Yes.
#2.Can you positively know that this is true? Yes
#3.How does it make me feel to think this thought? Terrible. Like something should be done.
#4.Can I see a reason to drop this thought? Yes. It causes me pain and there is nothing I can do to serve justice in this matter.

Can you turn it around?
I feel there is a grave injustice done to "Me" by "me"? I need to forgive myself? Do you realize, injustice happens and you suffer and continue suffering? Are you solving anything by harboring the negative feelings? Much better to let go and heal, and then work toward the problem without any feelings, negative or positive. When you are neutral, when you are centered, you see situations as they are, in many cases you may not have to do anything because you will see the whole injustice story was created and enlarged and enlarged some more by the mind.. in some cases you may have to take action, but it will come from your silence.. your thinking mind wont be doing, things will be happening.

Like Gandhi said:
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."

Maybe Anthony de Mello words will explain better what I am trying to say:
http://www.soulwise.net/99adm03.htm
The scriptures are always hinting of that, but you'll never understand a word of what the scriptures are saying until you wake up. Sleeping people read the scriptures and crucify the Messiah on the basis of them. You've got to wake up to make sense out of the scriptures. When you do wake up, they make sense. So does reality. But you'll never be able to put it into words. You'd rather do something? But even there we've got to make sure that you're not swinging into action simply to get rid of your negative feelings. Many people swing into action only to make things worse.

They're not coming from love, they're coming from negative feelings. They're coming from guilt, anger, hate; from a sense of injustice or whatever. You've got to make sure of your "being" before you swing into action. You have to make sure of who you are before you act. Unfortunately, when sleeping people swing into action, they simply substitute one cruelty for another, one injustice for another. And so it goes. Meister Eckhart says, "It is not by your actions that you will be saved" (or awakened; call it by any word you want), "but by your being. It is not by what you do, but by what you are that you will be judged". What good is it to you to feed the hungry, give the thirsty to drink, or visit prisoners in jail?

Remember that sentence from Paul: "If I give my body to be burned and all my goods to feed the poor and have not love . . ". It's not your actions, it's your being that counts. Then you might swing into action. You might or might not. You can't decide that until you're awake. Unfortunately, all the emphasis is concentrated on changing the world and very little emphasis is given to waking up. When you wake up, you will know what to do or what not to do. Some mystics are very strange, you know. Like Jesus, who said something like "I wasn't sent to those people; I limit myself to what I am supposed to do right now. Later, maybe". Some mystics go silent. Mysteriously, some of them sing songs. Some of them are into service. We're never sure. They're a law unto themselves; they know exactly what is to be done. "Plunge into the heat of battle and keep your heart at the lotus feet of the Lord", as I said to you earlier.

Remember that sentence from scripture about everything turning into good for those who love God? When you finally awake, you don't try to make good things happen; they just happen. You understand suddenly that everything that happens to you is good. Think of some people you're living with whom you want to change. You find them moody, inconsiderate, unreliable, treacherous, or whatever. But when you are different, they'll be different. That's an infallible and miraculous cure. The day you are different, they will become different. And you will see them differently, too.

Someone who seemed terrifying will now seem frightened. Someone who seemed rude will seem frightened. All of a sudden, no one has the power to hurt you anymore. No one has the power to put pressure on you. It's something like this: You leave a book on the table and I pick it up and say, "You're pressing this book on me. I have to pick it up or not pick it up". People are so busy accusing everyone else, blaming everyone else, blaming life, blaming society, blaming their neighbor. You'll never change that way; you'll continue in your nightmare, you'll never wake up.

Put this program into action, a thousand times: (a) identify the negative feelings in you; (b) understand that they are in you, not in the world, not in external reality; (c) do not see them as an essential part of "I"; these things come and go; (d) understand that when you change, everything changes.

I tried doing samyama on "forgiveness"... All I am going to say is, there is nothing to forgive. The word forgive is a very egoic word, it means "you" have decided either you are at fault (you are below someone) or someone else is at fault(you are above someone) and needs pardoning or needs to pardon.

Just continue with your practice.. if you are feeling these feeling strongly now.. stuff is stirring up within.. maybe close to an opening/understanding of "injustice" from within?

Edited by - Shanti on Mar 28 2009 09:34:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

jillatay

USA
206 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2009 :  11:56:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit jillatay's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I heard of a guru once who was asked this question over and over by a follower. After exhausting all advice he said "then become Kali" Do Something.

Love,
Jill
Go to Top of Page

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2009 :  12:56:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:

The difference is that I don't usually feel that it is me in particular that is wronged. It is injustice itself that bothers me regardless of the entity involved.

Love,
Carson

That's what I mean. The injustice bothers you. Some actors caused injustice and you are affected. This fixation is what obstructs you. Forgive them and wish them happiness and be separate from suffering. Their suffering is the cause of the injustice in the first place.

Edited by - Konchok Ösel Dorje on Mar 29 2009 01:19:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2009 :  02:21:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes it helps to get to know the person who has caused the injustice. Study them to find out why they act that way.
If you have no way to study them, try to imagine a reason they would act that way that makes sense.
The best way is to talk directly with them if you can, and get as much information as possible.
What makes injustice hard to take is when it makes no sense.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2009 :  10:47:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste cosmic.....sorry I didn't respond sooner....I missed this post from you for some reason...my eyes must be going.
quote:
Originally posted by cosmic_troll

I see. Could these thoughts possibly be a call to action? For example, what would happen if you were to find a way to help the Native Americans or honor their culture? Would these thoughts then go away?

It could be a call to action, I dunno. But if I went into action for every injustice I feel has been perpetrated and causes me unnecessary suffering, there would not be enough hours in the day. And the Native American Indian thing is just an example more than anything. "Would these thoughts then go away?" Probably not. Maybe those ones in particular, but I have a feeling there would be more issues showing up as the old ones left. Pure speculation at this point though. I can't really know for sure.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2009 :  11:15:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Shanti....thank you for your post....
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

Can you turn it around?
I feel there is a grave injustice done to "Me" by "me"? I need to forgive myself?

Yes, there has been injustice done to me by me. And I do need to forgive myself I suppose. I think I may be too hard on myself sometimes though. I find it hard to forgive myself most of the time. Some of the stuff I have done in my past is so dispicable that I have a hard time feeling like I deserve forgiveness. Actually I went through the majority of my life consciously choosing to be unhappy. Literally consciously. I would not allow myself to feel happiness in any sense because I felt that it made me complacent. Anger has been the key motivator for most of my life. And because of this anger I have done many things that I for the most part don't feel like I deserve to be forgiven for. But I am not sure how this "turnaround" applies in this sense. Would this turnaround be suggesting that I have wronged myself by not forgiving myself?
quote:

Do you realize, injustice happens and you suffer and continue suffering?

Yes, much like the story you posted of the two monks crossing the river. I am still carrying the lady even though we have long finished crossing. A lot of the suffering I go through is concious though. Punishing myself for being such a horrible person in the past. How do I learn to let go of my need for justice for others I have harmed in the past? Often times I feel going back and trying to make ammends causes more grief than good. Drudging up the past with someone who has likely already moved on. Doing this would only be beneficial for me and would actually probably be hurting the victim even more in the process.
quote:

Are you solving anything by harboring the negative feelings?

Not by harboring negative feelings for those who have harmed me, no. But by harboring negative feelings for myself for harming others, well maybe. Hmmm....I guess I am not solving anything, but more preventing future harm to others maybe?
quote:

Much better to let go and heal, and then work toward the problem without any feelings, negative or positive. When you are neutral, when you are centered, you see situations as they are, in many cases you may not have to do anything because you will see the whole injustice story was created and enlarged and enlarged some more by the mind.. in some cases you may have to take action, but it will come from your silence.. your thinking mind wont be doing, things will be happening.

Well said. Thank you for reminding me of the balance created when coming at something from inner silence.
quote:

Maybe Anthony de Mello words will explain better what I am trying to say:
http://www.soulwise.net/99adm03.htm
The scriptures are always hinting of that, but you'll never understand a word of what the scriptures are saying until you wake up. Sleeping people read the scriptures and crucify the Messiah on the basis of them. You've got to wake up to make sense out of the scriptures. When you do wake up, they make sense. So does reality. But you'll never be able to put it into words. You'd rather do something? But even there we've got to make sure that you're not swinging into action simply to get rid of your negative feelings. Many people swing into action only to make things worse.

They're not coming from love, they're coming from negative feelings. They're coming from guilt, anger, hate; from a sense of injustice or whatever. You've got to make sure of your "being" before you swing into action. You have to make sure of who you are before you act. Unfortunately, when sleeping people swing into action, they simply substitute one cruelty for another, one injustice for another. And so it goes. Meister Eckhart says, "It is not by your actions that you will be saved" (or awakened; call it by any word you want), "but by your being. It is not by what you do, but by what you are that you will be judged". What good is it to you to feed the hungry, give the thirsty to drink, or visit prisoners in jail?

Remember that sentence from Paul: "If I give my body to be burned and all my goods to feed the poor and have not love . . ". It's not your actions, it's your being that counts. Then you might swing into action. You might or might not. You can't decide that until you're awake. Unfortunately, all the emphasis is concentrated on changing the world and very little emphasis is given to waking up. When you wake up, you will know what to do or what not to do. Some mystics are very strange, you know. Like Jesus, who said something like "I wasn't sent to those people; I limit myself to what I am supposed to do right now. Later, maybe". Some mystics go silent. Mysteriously, some of them sing songs. Some of them are into service. We're never sure. They're a law unto themselves; they know exactly what is to be done. "Plunge into the heat of battle and keep your heart at the lotus feet of the Lord", as I said to you earlier.

Remember that sentence from scripture about everything turning into good for those who love God? When you finally awake, you don't try to make good things happen; they just happen. You understand suddenly that everything that happens to you is good. Think of some people you're living with whom you want to change. You find them moody, inconsiderate, unreliable, treacherous, or whatever. But when you are different, they'll be different. That's an infallible and miraculous cure. The day you are different, they will become different. And you will see them differently, too.

Someone who seemed terrifying will now seem frightened. Someone who seemed rude will seem frightened. All of a sudden, no one has the power to hurt you anymore. No one has the power to put pressure on you. It's something like this: You leave a book on the table and I pick it up and say, "You're pressing this book on me. I have to pick it up or not pick it up". People are so busy accusing everyone else, blaming everyone else, blaming life, blaming society, blaming their neighbor. You'll never change that way; you'll continue in your nightmare, you'll never wake up.

Put this program into action, a thousand times: (a) identify the negative feelings in you; (b) understand that they are in you, not in the world, not in external reality; (c) do not see them as an essential part of "I"; these things come and go; (d) understand that when you change, everything changes.

Thank you Shanti for this....Everyone seems to be all over this Anthony De Mello dude, but I have like twenty books on the go right now, and didn't need to add to that pile with another book/author. I REALLY like this sentence from the above:
"It is not by what you do, but by what you are that you will be judged"
This makes me feel a little better because I know my heart. My heart and my "being" as AdM says above, are of pure intention. I may slip and make mistakes...scratch that, I DO slip and make mistakes but my heart is in the right place. This I know. Thank you for sharing this quote with me.
quote:

I tried doing samyama on "forgiveness"... All I am going to say is, there is nothing to forgive. The word forgive is a very egoic word, it means "you" have decided either you are at fault (you are below someone) or someone else is at fault(you are above someone) and needs pardoning or needs to pardon.

I was reminded of this paragraph this weekend while I sat and listened to the Dharma talk at the Buddhist retreat I spent the weekend at. They were talking about the Brahamaviharas (SP?)....
Metta (Loving Kindness), Compassion, Appreciative Joy, and Equanimity. The teacher was talking about the need to forgive those who have done injustices to us. I was wondering how to reconcile your paragraph above with what this teacher was saying. Is there a need to forgive or does that just stroke the ego?
quote:

Just continue with your practice..

Of course. Nothing will get in the way of my practices.
quote:

if you are feeling these feeling strongly now.. stuff is stirring up within.. maybe close to an opening/understanding of "injustice" from within?

Here's hoping! Thanks for the wonderful post.

Love,
Carson

Edited by - CarsonZi on Mar 30 2009 11:20:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2009 :  11:21:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jill...
quote:
Originally posted by jillatay

I heard of a guru once who was asked this question over and over by a follower. After exhausting all advice he said "then become Kali" Do Something.

Perhaps I am a bit daft, but I don't understand this advice. Become Kali? Do something? What does this mean? Sorry for being dumb.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2009 :  11:25:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste Osel....
quote:

That's what I mean. The injustice bothers you. Some actors caused injustice and you are affected. This fixation is what obstructs you. Forgive them and wish them happiness and be separate from suffering. Their suffering is the cause of the injustice in the first place.

I agree with everything you say here except your last sentence. "Their suffering is the cause of the injustice in the first place." In many of the situations that I am still struggling with a desire for justice over the cause of the injustice has nothing to do with the perpetrators suffering. Often it has to do with greed, lust, envy, etc etc. And all suffering is a choice anyways right? At least a choice in whether or not to attach to the suffering. Meaning suffering can not be a just cause for any action good or bad. (IMO anyways)

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2009 :  11:36:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Etherfish....
quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish

Sometimes it helps to get to know the person who has caused the injustice.

I could see this helping is some cases, but in many it would be impossible simply because the perpetrator is not an individual but a group of people who don't even know the damage they are causing.
quote:

Study them to find out why they act that way.

In the cases where the situation DOES only involve a single indiviual, the reason I have not confronted, resolved and moved on, is because I am no longer in contact, or able to be in contact with this person. This is why I said in the opening post "Every so often I run into a situation where I feel completely wronged, with no possibility for resolution". No possibility for resolution meaning that I can no longer communicate with this person. They are either dead, in another country, I have lost track of them, I never knew them in the first place, or they are in prison.
quote:

What makes injustice hard to take is when it makes no sense.

Yes....This is a big problem for me. I like to understand why things are the way they are. I know this is something that I need to work on. Letting go from the beginning. But what I find even harder to comprehend is when I DO understand why someone does something hurtful/harmful and that reason is totally bunk. This is really what rubs me the wrong way for a long time to come. I think I have control issues. haha

Love,
Carson

Edited by - CarsonZi on Mar 30 2009 11:38:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2009 :  5:54:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carson

Am finding my pillow in a few minutes....but saw this post on the way out.....and will share a perspective:

quote:
How do I let go of these situations, and the need for justice to be enacted in someway I can know about, to the point that they will no longer come up in meditation?

First of all.....it is great that it comes up in meditation. This is a blessing.....it is working it's way up and out....for inspection between meditations...and eventually dissolving. So....it is not so much that you need to get rid of injustice.....or to enact justice......it is rather.....seeing...what draws this issue to your attention? Just look at it ......why are you so attracted by it.....what makes it so compelling....

Usually....here....this kind of....attraction happens when there is a blind spot within. I don't see myself clearly.....and so the bit I do not see....is projected "outside" of myself......in order for me to "take it home".

I hear you say:

quote:

and

quote:
"Every so often I run into a situation where I feel completely wronged, with no possibility for resolution". No possibility for resolution meaning that I can no longer communicate with this person. They are either dead, in another country, I have lost track of them, I never knew them in the first place, or they are in prison.

Justice......seems rather relative then.....doesn't it.....are you sure it has a life of it's own?

So.....is it possible......that this is actually all about you?
Can you be absolutely sure that it is not first and foremost you who feel unjustly treated? And if it is possible...that this lies at the core of the whole issue.......what happened......all those years ago.....for you to feel prolongly (oops...maybe not a word...oh,well :-) wronged in this way? (You don't have to answer this publicly )

This comes forward here:

Anthony de Mello says:
quote:
"It is not by what you do, but by what you are that you will be judged"

You say:

quote:
This makes me feel a little better because I know my heart. My heart and my "being" as AdM says above, are of pure intention. I may slip and make mistakes...scratch that, I DO slip and make mistakes but my heart is in the right place. This I know.

Yes. It is, Carson. And it has always been this way. Very early on....when we are not mirrored for who we are.....we suffer from the lack of true seeing in our parents and caretakers. The preciousness we are in essence are almost never mirrored back to us ....instead ....the mistakes are focused on. It is indeed by what we do that we are judged. Not by who we are. In the past here...in this life...the mistakes were judged out of proportion....so.....something about your "justice obsession" smells familiar.....

But the design of our lives.....is the way it is. So.....in hindsight......all the "injustice" suffered here for many years growing up in a difficult setting.....all that......without that.....who knows if I would be here enjoying this forum today? The unawareness that is being burnt away......The joy of waking up.......the bliss of deeper communion with what is.....in this.....all previous "injustice" is set free.....as being the very manure that made growth happen. And now......often there is "the painful love"....when the longing for deeper communion with God/That/Silence is overwhelming....and often there is crying for the same reason.....and also for no reason at all.......but the inner strength in the soul allows for all of this in the trust that it is not in my hands to decide the when and the where........so it is allowed to come and go.

Whenever someone "doesn't care"....it is because they are not aware of the consequences of what they are doing. If aware....it would not have happened. And unawareness.....I cannot judge anyone for being unaware, can I......yet we do this. Both "out there" and "in here".

In experience here....it is seen that the universe is not hapazard...neither in actions...nor in essence. What happens is always happening within an intelligent design. To be at war with this design is very......tiring...to say the least. Yet....at war we are...as long as we ar not aware of that which is the hidden message within every issue. And to be aware.....we need to take it home. Not do-change it.

quote:
How do I learn to let go of my need for justice for others I have harmed in the past?

Be compassionate towards the one that was not seen for what he is. The one who's heart is in the right place.

Be compassionate towards the unawareness. Meditation enhances compassion

Good night, Carson.
Thank you so much for sharing
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2009 :  5:58:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Yes, there has been injustice done to me by me. And I do need to forgive myself I suppose. I think I may be too hard on myself sometimes though. I find it hard to forgive myself most of the time. Some of the stuff I have done in my past is so dispicable that I have a hard time feeling like I deserve forgiveness. Actually I went through the majority of my life consciously choosing to be unhappy. Literally consciously. I would not allow myself to feel happiness in any sense because I felt that it made me complacent. Anger has been the key motivator for most of my life. And because of this anger I have done many things that I for the most part don't feel like I deserve to be forgiven for. But I am not sure how this "turnaround" applies in this sense. Would this turnaround be suggesting that I have wronged myself by not forgiving myself?

I did that all my life too, but in my case not anger, my case was being a victim.

You have not wrong yourself by not forgiving yourself you are wronging yourself by punishing yourself for a memory. If another human came and told you some wrong they did in their life and was sorry for what they had done.. what would you tell them? Show yourself that same kindness. Why is it that we judge ourselves so harshly, but any other soul who may have done the exact same thing we think it was OK?
http://www.aarpmagazine.org/health/...ur_pain.html

Stop the Abuse

Katie: "Our most intimate relationship is the one we have with our own minds," she said. "I was in terrible shape till one day I realized a simple thing. When I believed my own thoughts about myself, I suffered. When I didn't believe them, I didn't suffer. Everything changed for me after that day."

"Thoughts are like children," she continued. "They're gonna scream till we pay attention. When we do, and put these beliefs to certain questions, thoughts we've believed 40, 50, 60 years—the worst, stressful thoughts—get popped. It takes a lot of courage. But isn't it time to get real? Haven't we conned ourselves long enough?"

"Are you ready to do The Work? Be brutal! If we don't question what we believe, we're destined to live it out.""

Can you turn around your statement above? Can you stop the injustice of judging yourself and hurting yourself over a memory? Can you let go the memory? Can you stop imagining what or how the other person who you think you did injustice to or who did some form of injustice to you thinks and feels? You can only be responsible for your own thoughts. A lot of our suffering comes from thinking we know how the other person felt/feels now.. but we can not be sure of that.. we can only be sure of our thoughts right now.. and right now you are not doing any of those things.. so can you let go that memory? It does not mean you don't do anything.. if you want do something about the injustice.. then do it.. but not out of guilt or anger? Make amends from a place of peace.

http://www.odemagazine.com/doc/51/byron-katie
Are you saying we should accept things as they are—even when there's injustice —and stop arguing with reality?

Byron Katie: “Not at all. We can’t accept things as they are, as long as we believe that they should be different. We can try to think positively till we’re blue in the face, but beneath the thoughts we want to believe are the thoughts we are actually believing, thoughts such as ‘I’m not good enough’ or ‘My husband should listen to me’ or ‘People shouldn’t suffer.’ When we question these stressful thoughts with the four questions and turnaround of The Work, we find our own truth. We begin to live in reality, not in our thoughts about reality. We begin to see that it’s possible to live without stress, anger, and sadness. And when we do, we become part of the solution, not part of the problem. Are you concerned about injustice? Where are you unjust in your own life? Take care of that first, by questioning your thoughts. The Work always leaves us kinder, happier human beings.”

quote:

Yes, much like the story you posted of the two monks crossing the river. I am still carrying the lady even though we have long finished crossing. A lot of the suffering I go through is concious though. Punishing myself for being such a horrible person in the past. How do I learn to let go of my need for justice for others I have harmed in the past? Often times I feel going back and trying to make ammends causes more grief than good. Drudging up the past with someone who has likely already moved on. Doing this would only be beneficial for me and would actually probably be hurting the victim even more in the process.

Yes.. we all carry our loads.. how much energy is wasted in carrying our past with us.
You also have the part about amends right.. I have quoted Nithyananda before..heal yourself, then let the healing flow out into the world.. before that you will only be imposing your ego on others.. and they will react with their ego. When you heal and work from a place of no ego.. the reaction of the other is very different.. you will experience this.. you already have to some degree.. it just gets better.. opens more.. and more. Then you do without any expectation, your actions will be from your heart and will not have an agenda of forgiveness or guilt or piousness.

quote:

Not by harboring negative feelings for those who have harmed me, no. But by harboring negative feelings for myself for harming others, well maybe. Hmmm....I guess I am not solving anything, but more preventing future harm to others maybe?

Future? Can you be sure about that? Future is imagination. There is only now. How do you feel now? Can you drop the negative feelings "now"?

quote:

Metta (Loving Kindness), Compassion, Appreciative Joy, and Equanimity. The teacher was talking about the need to forgive those who have done injustices to us. I was wondering how to reconcile your paragraph above with what this teacher was saying. Is there a need to forgive or does that just stroke the ego?

This is how I see forgiveness. With "the work" I have come to realize, there is never anything to forgive, because it is what it is.True forgiveness in my mind comes when you are at a place where you can say.. it's all fine exactly as it is. When you do not trigger an ego response (hurt/angry/disgusted/despicable) by bringing up up a memory, you have truly forgiven.
Here is something I had written some time back.
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=2658#23424
quote:

Forgiveness IMO is a very egoic word.. when I say I forgive you.. my ego is happy.. "I am above you.. that even though you hurt me.. I am better than you and I will pardon your misgivings".. Or when I say.. "I can never forgive you".. my ego is again sitting there with pride.. "I am above you.. and you cannot get away with treating me the way you did"... So in both cases.. forgive or not forgive is very ego driven. The real release will come when you are at a place (that can be reached with meditation and self inquiry) from where you look at the situation and say.. "There really is nothing to forgive or not forgive. It is what it is."

With Yoga and self inquiry.. you come to realize.. that karma is going to unfold.. it is upto us how we want to live through it. We can resist and hold on to our illusions of control.. or let go and accept things as they come. We learn to see a situation .. and accept it and move on.. or cling onto it and suffer. Any situation.. good or bad, that comes our way, when accepted from a central/neutral place.. where .. you don't have to love it (if it is not a good situation).. and yet you don't have to hate it. It is just there.. it is what it is.. and it is your choice to accept and let go.. or resist and let the negative feelings build.

Yoga will not change the world.. that is not what it is there for (although it may.. not sure..).. but it will change YOU.. your perspectives on life.. the way you see the world.. And now I am going to say the words you really dislike (sorry!!).. "Everything is perfect as it is"... How? Because it "is".. Reality of all the bad in the world is just "there".. and like I said.. yoga will teach you to be at a place where you don't have to love it.. and yet don't have to hate it.. be centered.. and from this place.. where you look at things without either extreme feelings attached.. you can take action and do things that are not affected by attachment or aversion.

So how does it fit into forgiveness.. or lack of.. well.. when you can see what happened between your brother and mother.. for what it is.. something between your brother and mother.. you can free yourself of the guilt that you should have been able to change the situation or she should have handled the situation differently.... Your mother is living through her karma.. your brother lived through his.. you are living your own.. and you have a choice of accepting it and moving on.. or clinging onto it and hoping and wishing you could have somehow changed things so your mother could have shown more love and care.. Remember, it is not our job to change anyone else.. we do have the choice of introducing people to the tools.. but it is their choice what they want to do with it.. Our responsibility is towards improving ourselves.. and when we are centered.. we will automatically be making decisions that will help others around us.

Not sure if this helps at all. But this has helped me a lot.. There were times I have said I forgive so-and-so.. but I realized.. every time I thought of all the wrongs that happened.. it still got back feelings of hate, sorrow, hurt, "why me?".. Well then, that was not forgiveness.. till I came to a point when I realized everyone is doing the best they can with their life, including me.. and the situation is what it is.. and I have a choice of opening, accepting, letting go and moving on.. or clinging on.. I chose the first.. wasn't easy.. but once you "get it" .... there is no turning back.. it becomes second nature.. (Try it with small things that annoy you at first..)

PS: This in no way means you sit and let the world abuse you and walk all over you.. You still take action.. but when you do it without attachment or aversion.. you just make decisions from your inner silence... and your silence always knows .. it's just a matter of staying centered.. and trusting this truth that comes up, accepting and letting go. Inner silence can be a deadly weapon.. when you learn how to use it... or better still.. let go and let it(inner silence) do it's thing :).

A couple of techniques that helped me a lot when I was having a hard time letting go.. maybe they will help you (altho they are from a point of view of a victim, you can apply it to any situation.. finally we are all victims of the ego.. be it the big ego or little ego.. ):
This one was from emc:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=1756#13810
quote:
Originally posted by emc
Sit down, close your eyes, go down into deep breathing and see yourself walking on a small road in a landscape. The sun is shining, fields are all around, birds fly in the sky. Walk there for a while until you feel at ease. You walk along the road and far away you see someone coming. You see them getting closer and closer but the picture is blurry. When they get close enough you see it is a child or some children coming towards you. Notice what state the child/children are in. What is the expression on their faces? What are they doing? When you have them there in front of you, you can ask them whatever you want, depending on what you see. I promise they will all have important things to tell you! They will reveal what you still carry around. And you can chose to listen to them, feel with them, and then if necessary comfort them in anyway you want. One possible sentence is "You do not have to carry that anymore. I now know how you feel, and I can carry it for you". This has been a very powerful tool for me to get to know myself. It is awareness SEEING WHAT IS, and then it burnes away more easily.

And this one from Christi:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=1756#13982
quote:
Originally posted by Christi

I was also abused as a child, physically and psychologically. I carried it around for a long time, with a lot of anger and then depression. I knew that all I had to do was let go, but I never seemed able to. Then one day I did it. I thought I would write here what I did. This is a bit weird, so please just ignore it if you think it is too weird, or inappropriate. But it is a clear account of what happened in my case.
I sat down to meditate one day, but I could not concentrate because I kept thinking of the people who had abused me. This happened often. So I decided to give up even trying my usual meditation, and try a visualization instead. So I imagined myself on one side of a beautiful sunny field. On the other side of the field was one of the people who had abused me slightly in my past (start off slow). We both had bodies, but actually we were in our soul forms, and we were just projecting the bodies in order to play out this dance. In the visualization, we had both actually died, and left out earth lives behind, and were meeting again as a reconciliation process. We had played out our individual dramas and games, made our mistakes and learned all our lessons and now it was time for forgiveness and love. We ran towards each other, across the field (like on the movies) and fell into each others arms like we were brothers/ sisters that had not seen each other for years. We hugged each other and silently forgave each other for everything that had happened on earth. Then I would repeat the visualization with someone who had abused me quite a bit. Then again with someone who had abused me a lot. Each time it would get easier, and feel easier to forgive. Then I did it with the person who had really abused me for years (that was quite hard, but I could feel the love flowing between our hearts). Finally I did it with myself. That feels like a really important bit- I'm not quite sure why.

O.K. I told you it was a bit weird.
The whole exercise took around an hour (there were a lot of people). I repeated the whole thing three times a day, for ten days. That's 30 hours of this stuff. Since then when I think of anyone who has abused me in the past in any way, I feel only compassion and love towards them. If they asked me for help, I would do whatever I could to help them. My meditations have never once been disturbed by memories of abuse. And my ability to forgive and love both others and myself have increased one-hundred-fold.
I think if I had done this visualization for one hour it would not have worked. I believe that minds work like records. They have grooves in them. The record will play the same tune over and over, until we cut new grooves. So it took 30 hours of intense imaginative work for me to cut the new grooves. (I have never needed to do the visualization again since the end of those ten days.)

Also this website from

MIRACLES

Miracles are those moments...
When we forgive ourselves
And our brothers completely.
By doing so...
We defeat the power of our ego,
Allowing the Holy Spirit
To help us correct our misperception.
At that moment,
We hear the voice of God.
Time collapses...
We feel peace and love.
In His perfect light and truth,
We see differently.

The Top 10 Misconceptions about Forgiveness

1. Withholding forgiveness hurts the other person.
The truth is: Withholding forgiveness hurts yourself.

2. Forgiveness is a passive endeavor.
The truth is: Forgiveness is a very active endeavor, where you can ultimately reach out in love and compassion to the other person.

3. Forgiveness lets people off the hook, so they aren't accountable to their actions.
The truth is: Forgiveness and accountability are not the same topic. You can have both. Forgive another by offering empathy and unity; yet still uphold the process of accountability within the social structure.

4. Forgiving someone tells that person that whatever he or she did was acceptable with you.
The truth is: Accepting their actions and accepting their true nature underneath it all are two very different things. You can make that clear.

5. Forgiveness is for the other person.
The truth is: Forgiving another is an act we do for ourselves, to free ourselves from the pain or bitterness.

6. When you are forgiving, you are "pardoning" someone's bad behavior.
The truth is: There is no "pardoning," just a clearer perception on who that other person truly is, and what they can still provide to your life, to a community and to a society.

7. Forgiveness is done by saying the words "I forgive you."
The truth is: Forgiveness resides not only in words but also in thought, feeling and action.

8. Forgiving another person doesn't do any good really.
The truth is: It not only uplifts you AND that person in ways unseen, but it brings that much more light to a world in need.

9. Forgiveness is only for religious people.
The truth is: It's for all of us walking the planet.

10. It's too hard to forgive.
The truth is: It can be hard, but not too hard, not when you have the right support and perspective.

OK.. now you will be ready to forgive just to get me to stop!!!
Hope some of this helps. So much energy frees up when you can just let go the clinging onto the past. You cannot go back and change the past.. it happened exactly as it was supposed to.. and so is this moment.. happening exactly like it is.. stay here.. I got this a few days back.. just be here.. it is safe.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000