Currents while asleep
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2005 :  12:05:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Has anyone experienced nighttime currents of energy?

When I was sixteen, I started having the experience of gentle currents of energy running up my spine, always traveling from the bottom upward. I didn’t know what it was and it happened usually when I was quiet, perhaps walking or sitting, but always when awake. I never understood what it was. I started meditating later, at 18 or 19.

I am much older now and have done mediation for years at a stretch, then took a long break when raising my family, and now have been meditating again for a couple of years. When meditating, I sometimes get gentle currents of electricity running up my spine, usually several beautiful, lacey currents in a row. Sometimes the currents are stronger and move outward, not up, from the entire spine out and run through all the nerves in my body. This is an energizing and awesome feeling when it happens. Both of these types of currents happen when meditating, when in that haze between wakefulness and sleep and sometimes when I am sitting in silence.

I’d like to ask though, if anyone has had the following experience. It is so different from the flow of gentle energy I have seen so far and it only happens in the haze between wakefulness and sleep. For all I know, it might just be a medical problem or some unusual aspect of falling asleep but I’d like to know if any other meditators experience this. This current has only happened a few times and only since I have resumed meditating again.

I will be barely awake, and there is a strong vibration, with almost a buzz, in my head. It goes on for a few seconds if I let it. If I let it go, the vibration gets stronger and there is a jolt of energy at the very top of my head and then what feels like a current with the strength of a lightening bolt moves in a wave from the top of my head down through my entire body to my feet. It happens once or twice in succession and is a stunning experience. It feels almost like being electrified. Nothing at all like the pleasant meandering gentle currents that run up my spine or out from it. And I’ve never had energy running down my body, much less from the very top of my head before.

My practices are minimal at the moment. Right now I only meditate. That’s it. I was also doing pranayama and samyama but stopped temporarily. The beauty and depth of impact one feels in samyama cannot be described in words. It leaves me speechless. I hope to add those two practices back, first pranayama and then samyama later.

If I did something to get out of balance, I don’t know what. But perhaps I have done. Those nightime vibrations are so forceful that I used to shake myself into wakefulness when they started, because I knew the lightening bolt would follow. But now I just surrender and let it happen with no apparent harm done. It's no longer disturbing but not something I persue either.

Any ideas on what the nighttime energy current is? Medical issue? Normal event before sleep? Out of balance? If so, how to correct it, since I’m only meditating now as my only practice currently.

Peace, Light and Love,

Kathy

Lili

Netherlands
372 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2005 :  5:21:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kathi!

I have not received a lightning bolt from God (kidding ) but I can relate to your experience of having energy movements while sleeping. In my case these are normally pleasant (e.g. before falling asleep it happens that my attention is drawn to the point b-n the eyebrows producing a good relaxed feeling or i feel vibrations around my perineum or lower back or heat in different parts of the spine) but I had one scary too. I was experimenting with stage 1+ kechari and during the night I woke up having the feeling that my mind is going out of my head and I can almost see my head from behind - isn't it weird.

I also understand what you are saying abt samyama. In my case it feels more powerful and deeper than meditation. Since I am doing it (abt 5-6 months) I also have had to cut back and drop it for a few days a couple of times because I had clear overload symptoms. I think sometimes it produces weird dreams also or makes you remember your dreams which happen to be weird - I am not sure which one.

For the current situation why don't you think about cutting back on meditation time for a few days and see what happens - in my case reducing total practice time (taking out samyama and cutting back meditation in the worst periods to 5-10 min.) so far worked every time.

Good luck with the whole practice!

Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2005 :  8:46:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kathy,

nice to hear from you again after a while.

I fairly often have 'events' on the border between waking and sleeping. But I don't get exactly what you get. When I was a child though I used to very occasionally get a strong buzzing in my head as I was falling asleep and I would wake up.

It doesn't sound like it is anything to worry about. I think you are probably right to let it happen.

In my case the events usually happen on falling asleep at night. They don't seem to happen on falling asleep in the morning (for example if I wake up and go back to sleep again). Is this the same with you?

Regards,

-David

Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2005 :  08:25:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I too often experience that intense buzzing just as I fall asleep but it always wakes me up and is followed by the darkness in the room seeming to boil with energy.

Blessings

RICHARD
Go to Top of Page

lucidinterval1

USA
193 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2005 :  09:34:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kathy,
I also experience a gentle rush of energy just before waking up. This is what wakes me up nearly every morning. I have experienced on a couple of occasions that incredible surge that you describe except that it was definitly going from the root to the crown. In my case, I just relax and let it have its way with me. I am not sure if I could control it. I believe that both times that this happened to me was after a sexual encounter. Its probably been a couple of years since this has happened. I did not experience any adverse effects from this. If anything, it seems to have enhanced my energy flow.
Paul
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2005 :  12:00:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kathy - I have a similar thing going on, but it enters at my foot (usually the right one) and travels like a current up the leg, slightly lifting the leg off the bed. Always at night, in the hazy state that you talk about. For a long time (maybe a year) it only went up to my pelvis, then it slowly started to move up into my heart, then throat, and now (finally!) it has made its way into my crown. This whole thing has taken about 3-4 yrs. The only lightning is at my feet - by the time it reaches my head it's like a thick liquid.

If it gets annoying, or feels stuck, I recommend trying some different types of bodywork. I tried a lot of different things, some of which turned out to be goofy, but the one that has helped the most is cranial sacral work. I was amazed at the results.

meg
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2005 :  4:09:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to all for sharing your experiences. At least I know now that many others have energy currents while sleeping. I just appear to be a little backward (top to bottom) instead of vice-versa. And with the exception of Meg, not like a bolt of energy.

To answer David's question, no it doesn't just happen upon initially falling asleep. In fact, as often when waking and then settling back in to sleep. But thinking back on it, I'm aware of the intense vibrations more often when I am extremely fatigued.

I don't really worry about it, but was more curious to see if this was just me. If it was, I'd chalk it up to strictly a physiological phenomena. Who knows? I don't try to fight it any more. It's actually an amazing experience.

In all love,
Kathy

Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  12:19:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kathy - Before this subject is done, I was wondering if you ever have any visuals accompanying the currents. Colors, shapes, lights, lines, movement? If not, do you ever sense that you ALMOST see something; like a shape or color about to emerge? If so, can you describe what you see, or almost see? Anyone else?

Thanks -

m
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  3:18:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by meg

Kathy - Before this subject is done, I was wondering if you ever have any visuals accompanying the currents. Colors, shapes, lights, lines, movement? If not, do you ever sense that you ALMOST see something; like a shape or color about to emerge? If so, can you describe what you see, or almost see? Anyone else?

Thanks -

m

Hello there

As I said in my posting I seem to see the darkness sort of boiling with energy. What I did not say is that this boiling energy seems to act as a sort of matrix on which you can place images if you desire if you think of a face you get a face and so on. I haven't tried to build on this at all, but it is interesting non the less.

Blessings

RICHARD
Go to Top of Page

lucidinterval1

USA
193 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  4:15:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Meg,
Lots of times when energy is up, I'll see swirling purple. It's kinda nice!
Paul
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  10:25:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Meg,

I don’t see colors or have any visualizations when the vibrations and energy that feels like lightning moves through my body. But I do experience something amazing afterwards regarding what I see and my surroundings. It may be off-topic to discuss here at AYP so I’ll let it be.

During meditation, I do sometimes see colors and patterns, but I just go back to the mantra. It seems like a beautiful by-product of the process, but I don’t pursue it. Actually, I guess, I don’t pursue anything….

Peace, Light and Love,
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2005 :  8:02:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Almost every morning as I wake up there is a repetitive beeping
sound. oh yeah, that's my alarm clock.
No, seriously, after I turn off the alarm, i usually feel currents
of prana, I think, running up my chest and out both arms. i used
to think it was my blood, but upon more meditation I can feel the
blood and it has a pulse to it, but this energy is steady.
It used to go away upon thinking, but now I can still
feel it when I start to think.
i don't know why I don't feel it in my lower body, but I
figure it's no big deal. I probably will later.
Or if anybody has any comment, I'd appreciate it.
Etherfish
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2005 :  12:24:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Etherfish,

When I am still, I feel very soft energy through my whole body. Very, very gentle pulse or flow. I never noticed it until after a nearly fatal anaphalactic shock. I was on the way to the ER and I was dying, and I knew I was dying. There was a feeling as if every single cell in my body 'woke up' and was vibrating. But even so, I don't think the two are related. It was only after that that I began to notice the soft energy through my whole system. Most likely, that all of us, if we sit in stillness, can feel the flow of energy through our bodies. I don't notice it when meditating because the focus is on the mantra---just when sitting in stillness, reading, whatever--it is there.

Blessings,
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2005 :  11:18:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've had that experience as well. It is a very pleasurable experience, now that I recall.

Do you at times experience a state of the body being asleep but you are still awake, and sometimes do not realize you are asleep. In that state I experienced a very slow movement of what you were saying. From my toes up, as if my body were dissolving.

I've also experienced sleep paralysis, where I am conscious but unable to move. That experience can be very alarming. I will wiggle like a worm until I wake myself up.
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2005 :  7:36:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kyman

I've had that experience as well. It is a very pleasurable experience, now that I recall.

Do you at times experience a state of the body being asleep but you are still awake, and sometimes do not realize you are asleep. In that state I experienced a very slow movement of what you were saying. From my toes up, as if my body were dissolving.

I've also experienced sleep paralysis, where I am conscious but unable to move. That experience can be very alarming. I will wiggle like a worm until I wake myself up.

Hello there

The sleep paralyses is not real it is just that your body is still asleep but your brain is conscious, just relax and you will become unconscious again and then wake up naturaly.

Cultivating this can lead to lucid dreams which appear so real that it cam be difficult to separate them from reality, this in turn can result in false memories and all the problems they can bring.

To cultivate lucid dreaming in a balanced and safe way requires a quite different discipline which doesn't mix well with AYP.

So best left alone I think.

Just relax and go back to sleep.

RICHARD
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2005 :  12:37:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have noticed with sleep paralysis or the mind waking up without the body, that it is a stepping stone to out of body experiences.

Whenever I wake up in this state, I give myself the verbal command to "float up" or something to this affect and I find that I am able to acheive an out of body state, or at least achieve some level of astral travel or lucid dreaming. It makes it a more pleasant experience than just feeling stuck there.

Maybe this will work for you,

Anthem
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2006 :  12:35:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My apologies if this posts twice. Had a bit of a problem while posting....

I knew a psychologist in Denver who told me that when one experiences the paralysis prior to sleep, there is a part of the brain that for most people shuts down when one falls asleep, but for others, it doesn’t. Just as Richard said…

For years when this happened to me, I ‘made’ myself break the paralysis whatever way I could. Eventually, I just started surrendering to the process. And when I did, whatever “I” am was able to move where my thoughts directed, apart from this body. So in that regard, my experience is more like Anthem’s.

And for myself, lucid dreams simply happen, without my cultivating them. The witness, this consciousness, is just present, even when dreaming. There is nothing sinister or frightening about it. It just is.

These things just happen. I don’t think they are anything to pursue. Speaking for myself only, it just seems that the only things that bring real progress, real growth, are meditation and when it happens, samyama.

Blessings and Peace,

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2006 :  08:26:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by NagoyaSea

I knew a psychologist in Denver who told me that when one experiences the paralysis prior to sleep, there is a part of the brain that for most people shuts down when one falls asleep, but for others, it doesn’t. Just as Richard said…

For years when this happened to me, I ‘made’ myself break the paralysis whatever way I could. Eventually, I just started surrendering to the process. And when I did, whatever “I” am was able to move where my thoughts directed, apart from this body. So in that regard, my experience is more like Anthem’s.

These things just happen. I don’t think they are anything to pursue. Speaking for myself only, it just seems that the only things that bring real progress, real growth, are meditation and when it happens, samyama.

Blessings and Peace,

Kathy

HI kathy nice to hear from you. These things happened to me on a regular basis years ago mainly through trying to force OBEs.

I don't get it much anymore but when I do I just go with it ,no panic, no worries, I agree with you the paralysis is usually a prequel to OBEs
not something to cultivate too distracting but if it happens just lay back and enjoy.

RICHARD
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2006 :  12:36:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Richard,

Thank you, it is good to be back. This is a wonderful forum—I always learn so much here. The past months, I’ve let my work take over too much of my life and have let myself get down to one practice a day. Am finding it hard to balance right now between studies, kids and work, but only I can make the time to meditate in the afternoon again.

I’m not quite as brave as you are for the OBE’s. I’m not to the point where I sit back and enjoy, but rather, I’m tired of fighting it, so I just let it happen. In time, perhaps, I’ll be as easy with it as you are…

In light and love,

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2006 :  5:07:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ever since starting AYP, I've had electrical currents in the spine during sleep, maybe 1 every month or two. But recently, there is a change that makes me wonder about something....

In the past, the electrical feelings were painful, caused me to wake up after a few minutes, then followed by uncontrollable laughter and giddiness. Yogani suggested that I was taking on too much purification, and that self-pacing would help. And it did, so I feel that he was right about this.

More recently, I've noticed that the currents happen on days when I don't practice (if I missed both sessions that entire day). Last night, the currents were going up and down my spine, with pain, but then suddenly got smooth. The pain disappeared, and the energy kept moving, unobstructed.

Now I'm wondering if recently, since I missed my AYP sessions, if my nervous system is actually doing the practices for me in my sleep? It was similar to pranayama, and I could see the energy moving up and down my spine.

Is it possible that sometimes the currents are caused by taking on too much practices, but is sometimes an automatic practice itself?
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  04:04:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cosmic
Whenever I go to bed I always experience ecstatic currents going from the bottom of my spine and upwards. On days where I meditated too much the energy would get stuck in my head and I would be completely disoriented if I closed my eyes. It felt like I would leave my body and not knowing how to come back.
This does not happen anymore (not even when I had the sunburn that I talk about in Satsang cafe).
Another thing:
For the past 2 years I have experienced (once in a while) that I wake up (usually close to morning) bathing in a wonderful lovefeeling. It originates in my chest and is accompanied by a barely audible "hum" - a vibration of love that fills the room and envelops me in......there is really no word for it. It always makes me feel totally protected, absolutely and unconditionally loved, and the afterglow of it lasts through the rest of the day. I try not to think about it - I simply bathe in it and am grateful for the experience.
So yes,- the current knows what it is doing; it wants - by all means - to mate our stillness. The only problem is that our nervous system might not be ready for its surge. Hence all the talk about self pacing.
It is my experience that slowing down when it is needed pays back tenfold.

May all your Nows be Here
Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2006 :  12:18:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Katrine,

What a beautiful experience you describe. I hope to have that feeling someday
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2006 :  08:10:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Katrine wrote:
"It originates in my chest and is accompanied by a barely audible "hum" "

i sometimes experience almost the same, but I don't think as smooth as you are describing. probably my system isn't as cleared out as yours. Sort of a 'wake up' energy with me.

Have you ever tried listening and following that "Hum" sound?
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  1:27:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ether

You wrote: "Have you ever tried listening and following that "Hum" sound?"

Yes. The sound is there all the time (but not as "audible" as the experience above). I have checked....it is the same note (or more like the sound of a struck string) all the time (actually I hear 4 different notes when the room is still, but the "hum" one is the....grunntone....I don't know the English word for it; in music, it is the main tone around which everything in the piece is centered. The "grunntone" of the G major scale is G. What do you call it?
The sound is what first came to me and gave me the first ecstatic experience. It came and went and then stayed for good. The "grunntone" is the only one that sounds like a string vibrating.

May all your Nows be Here
Go to Top of Page

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  1:44:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Katrine, I'll just jump in, not to disrupt your discussion, to say that the "grunntone" is called fundamental tone in English, the other tones derived from it are overtones. Exiting again...
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  4:43:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That's right up my alley as I used to play music.
You also may be referring to the tonic note. The translator says that is
"styrkemiddelet" in norwegian.
[this isn't right; see the next post]

When you play just one note, the fundamental is the main tone you hear, and harmonics or overtones are mathematical multiples of the fundamental. If you mix a fundamental with harmonics they just blend in and sound like they are adding character to the tone although they are twice or three times the frequency.

The tonic is a particular note or chord that is returned to in a song, and it feels like home. The piece sounds unresolved until it returns to the tonic.

Edited by - Etherfish on Feb 26 2006 7:49:11 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000