Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Strange Disturbing Experiences
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  11:20:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I'd just like to know if any other people have had strange or disturbing experiences while practising pranayama?

I've been meditating on and off for 2/3 years. I have only recently inflexibly committed myself to twice daily practise, and cutting out all alcohol or any intoxicating substances. I basically stopped casual drinking around 4 months ago.

I've been doing deep meditation and spinal breathing for only a few days.

During my second time doing spinal breathing, I felt a very creepy and strange presence with me. I felt a fear rise up inside myself.

I then had a horrible nightmare where people were delibarately infecting each other with contagious diseases. The central character in my dream was a maggot like body, with a talking human head.

I discontinued spinal breathing for the short term.

Has anyone else had frightening experiences like this?

Thank you

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  12:05:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, haha. This is the "scenery" that Yogani speaks of. It's just repressed emotions showing themselves symbolically in your imagination or dreams. The more courage you have regarding it, the quicker this kind of thing will pass.
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  12:21:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mr. anderson (nice name!)

Scott wrote:

quote:
The more courage you have regarding it, the quicker this kind of thing will pass.

But I also say: self-pace! Like you are doing. The best is to go at a reasonable speed but at the maximum comfort also! Otherwise we might crash with a speeding car Meditation gives you that solid base from which all the rest can flow

I think you are doing great.

All the best!

Edited by - YogaIsLife on Feb 16 2009 12:41:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  12:42:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott - Thank you. I had suspected as much.

Yogaislife - Also thank you. I had a sense within me just not to practise Spinal breathing again the next morning, to wait just a little while, so I followed it. I feel that it is ok to continue now.

Anderson is in fact my real last name, so it works well!

Thank you all for the advice
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  1:03:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I had a sense within me just not to practise Spinal breathing again the next morning, to wait just a little while, so I followed it.

This is good - it is your inner guru, your inner voice telling you what is best. It is wise to follow it not to overdo! Glad you can hear it Mr. Anderson Accordingly, when it moves you to go further then you also should listen, but always with care...I think it is easy to get carried away with some of these "toys". As Yogani puts it..."too much of a good thing..."
Go to Top of Page

Shredder

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  2:23:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shredder's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I had a similar nightmare in the first week of both DM and SB I witnessed a young man shot out of a cannon, and then in the same dream a skier falling off a slope and landing very close to me. I was not completely sure it was DM or SB or neither and the dream did disturb me, but I soldiered on and the nightmares never came back. Best of luck in your practice....shredder

Edited by - Shredder on Feb 16 2009 2:27:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  3:34:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mr Anderson

YogaIsLife and Scott has given great advice :-)

Just thought I'd add that you can also consider reducing the time you spend in SB Pranayama. I don't know how long your session was, but to start with only 5 min when you try it again might be good. That way, you do not have to wait too long before doing it again.

All the best
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000