Healthcare - Holistic and Modern
 SAMe -- the Yogi's antidepressant?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  10:24:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
SAMe -- the Yogi's antidepressant?

Following Paul's question, I thought I should mention SAMe (pronounced, I think, Sam - e), which is a naturally-occurring substance effective in treating depression. I have used it in the past and found it very effective.

It is a naturally occurring substance in all life-forms, so I believe nearly everything you have eaten (unless refined away) has SAMEe in it.

Its full name is S-Adenosyl-L-Methionine.

It can be considered a supplement rather than a medication. In contrast with 'medications', it usually has few side-effects. (I don't know if there are any adverse effects to SAMe apart from allergic reactions to it. ) It's well studied, and, according to my reading of the analysis given here (which is actually a summary and meta-analysis of many other experiments), seems to be statistically as good as 'conventional' antidepressants (am I reading this right?).

http://www.ahrq.gov/clinic/epcsums/samesum.htm

quote:

"Compared to placebo, treatment with SAMe was associated with an improvement of approximately 6 points in the score of the Hamilton Rating Scale for Depression measured at 3 weeks (95 percent CI [2.2, 9.0]). This degree of improvement is statistically as well as clinically significant and is equivalent to a partial response to treatment. Too few studies were available for which a risk ratio could be calculated for either a 25 percent or 50 percent improvement in the Hamilton Rating Scale for Depression. Therefore a pooled analysis could not be done, but the results generally favored SAMe compared to placebo.
Compared to treatment with conventional antidepressant pharmacology, treatment with SAMe was not associated with a statistically significant difference in outcomes (risk ratios for a 25 and for a 50 percent decrease in the Hamilton Rating score for depression were 0.99 and 0.93, respectively; effect size for the Hamilton Rating score for depression measured continuously was 0.08 (95 percent CI [-0.17, -0.32]))."

Interestingly, it also helps with osteoarthritis and certain liver problems.

It's common in pharmacies now in the US, but can be acquired more cheaply through reputable mail-order vitamin websites such as

www.vitaminshoppe.com

-David

Edited by - AYPforum on Feb 05 2007 08:56:01 AM

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  11:31:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
5HTP is also a good one - stronger than sam-e from what I've read. Boosts seratonin. People who take it regularly say that it has made a huge difference in their mild depressions. It's not cheap, but neither is depression.

m
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  12:38:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks Meg, it's good to know about others, and exciting if this one is even better. This one you mention is also a precursor to seratonin, just like SAMe, and from my reading, naturally occurring in the body.

naturally occurring in the body
= cannot be patented
= will not be promoted by drug companies
= your doctor may be the last person to hear about it !!

quote:
Originally posted by meg

5HTP is also a good one - stronger than sam-e from what I've read. Boosts seratonin. People who take it regularly say that it has made a huge difference in their mild depressions. It's not cheap, but neither is depression.

m

Go to Top of Page

Ute

39 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2005 :  11:35:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ute's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I just want to throw in that like some other anti-depressants, SAMe is not recommended for bi-polar depression.
Take care,
Ute
Go to Top of Page

sean

USA
20 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2005 :  02:49:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit sean's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've had excellent success with Tyrosine in the morning and 5HTP before bed. Takes care of both sides of the biochemical anxiety/depression coin for me.

Sean.

Edited by - sean on Oct 31 2005 06:28:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2007 :  08:56:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

Jack

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2007 :  04:34:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jack's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If you want to spend less or cannot find SAMe, try to find TMG (forget the full name, trimethyl something, glutamate perhaps)

It is the precursor to SAMe, and is a fair bit cheaper. You'll need about twice as much TMG as you would SAMe.
Go to Top of Page

snake

United Kingdom
276 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  04:11:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
St John's wort also works on depression and serotonin levels but takes about 6 weeks before improvement and have to be carefull using it with some prescription drugs
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000