Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Meditating Twice a Day
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

moshe

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  9:45:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit moshe's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Weekdays, it is very difficult for me to work in an afternoon meditatiion, so I meditate only in the morning. But on the weekends I can do an afternoon practice. Is it better for me to keep a regular schedule of once a day, seven days a week, or should I do twice a day on weekends?

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2008 :  01:28:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Moshe,

Welcome to the forum! Most of us who work can't do an afternoon practice during the workday while at the workplace. What I found effective was meditating when I got home from work or school. After that, I'd get about the business of deciding what I'd do for the family evening meal, etc.

I'm lucky enough though at the moment, to work in a place where there are enough empty meeting rooms for those who wish to pray or meditate.

light and love,

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4381 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2008 :  09:20:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Moshe,

I'd say if you really can't meditate twice a day in the week, then do your morning sittings, and do the twice a day at weekends. It's all about regularity, so meditating at the same time every day is as important as the daily routine. It's a bit like sleep. If you sleep different hours every night your body would not like it and your sleep would not be as deep. Same goes for meditation. Changes take place in the chemistry of the body, and these start to happen automatically after some time if the practice is based around a routine.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

lakshmi_shegar

USA
12 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  06:02:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit lakshmi_shegar's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Moshe,

That's fine if you cant follow the afternoon meditation. It is important that you follow a routine whether it is once or twice a day. As Christi said meditating at the same time every day is as important as the daily routine.

Thanks,
Lakshmi

Edited by - lakshmi_shegar on Oct 14 2008 06:06:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

mikkiji

USA
219 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  12:15:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit mikkiji's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
As a meditation instructor for the past 33 years, the best advice I can give is this: twice daily practice is of utmost importance. The actual time of day is less importance than getting in both sessions--my Japanese zen roshi used to say, "Sun-up and sun-down" but that is seldom practical except for a monk--so we fit our meditations into our daily routine. My Indian guru insisted that our 2 sessions were just before breakfast and just before dinner--which makes a LOT of sense for a householder. Figure out what works, don't sweat the small stuff, and get in whatever meditations you can.
Michael
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  6:53:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
sometimes perception can change everything
we do not have to meditate twice a day for a week, for a month, for a year. Really we dont. All we have to do is meditate twice a day, TODAY, the only day you have. Of course we dont have to do that either, but if it is a loving act for yourself then doing this loving act for yourself two times today sounds good. Today is all we have, tomorrow is not promised. And if tomorrow comes, then tomorrow will be today, but tomorrow, or something like that. find time today ot meditate a couple times, just today. when I did not want to get out of bed this morning to do my morning stuff, I told myself "just this one day, today, i can do it, today is the only day of my life", and i did
my best to you on your path today,
i am love, i am peace, i am joy
i am brother neil
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000