Illuminated Poetry, Quotations and Stories
 Beyond understanding
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

apachechief

Ireland
65 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2008 :  07:07:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit apachechief's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I quite like the idea that God, The Creator, The Infinite Mind, whatever tag one chooses to use, is beyond our comprehension. For example, the first verse of the Tao Te Ching is as follows:

The Tao that can be spoken is not the eternal Tao
The name that can be named is not the eternal name
The nameless is the origin of Heaven and Earth
The named is the mother of myriad things
Thus, constantly without desire, one observes its essence
Constantly with desire, one observes its manifestations
These two emerge together but differ in name
The unity is said to be the mystery
Mystery of mysteries, the door to all wonders

So it's quite profound really, and the mind can't deal with. It needs definitions, it needs structures, it needs names, etc. But what we seek, ultimately, is beyond our thoughts, cannot even be given a name. The intellect completely falls apart and as such, the most learned and studied individuals are as clueless as the most primative life forms. One could even argue that spending so much time trying to understand something is taking you further away from it. It's like trying to count to infinity, getting to a million and being convinced that you're closer to your goal.
And within this concept, every religion and belief dissolves and has no meaning other than to support the ego of the follower who needs the comfort of a structured system to fall back on. And these beliefs often change depending on moods and every individual has there own understanding; billions of personal gods residing in peoples heads. Which one is true?
Personally, I find it much more liberating and comforting that I don't have to waste my thoughts trying to comprehend something that is completely beyond me.
Sure, I'm still getting to know myself these days and there are always surprises waiting there, some pleasant, some not so.
Maybe I'll give whatsisname a call...........
....or maybe not.

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2008 :  08:27:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Apachechief....Love the Tao te Ching verse!

BTW...Chuck Norris counted to infinity...TWICE!
Go to Top of Page

Suryakant

USA
259 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2008 :  5:40:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by apachechief

I quite like the idea that God, The Creator, The Infinite Mind, whatever tag one chooses to use, is beyond our comprehension ...

Personally, I find it much more liberating and comforting that I don't have to waste my thoughts trying to comprehend something that is completely beyond me.
"It's better to see God in everything than to try to figure it out."
--- Neem Karoli Baba, Hindu guru and saint
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000