Gurus, Sages and Higher Beings
 Thomas Ashley-Farrand
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TVD

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  7:54:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit TVD's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone

I was wondering what the people here at AYP thought about Thomas Ashley-Farrand. He claims a lineage from Sant Keshavadas, who is part of the Haridasa tradition.

Does anyone know if this guy is legit or a pop guru?

I ask because I bought one of his books and used one of his mantras to great effect and entered an altered state of consciousness and had some interesting dreams. Thing is I think it might have all been sort of a placebo thing and didn't really have anything to do with the mantra...on the other hand I don't really know. I've found a few people that say the guy's Sanskrit if shoddy and you can't actually learn a mantra from a book. You need a Sat Guru.

Any thoughts?

Edited by - TVD on Sep 19 2008 8:08:03 PM

newpov

USA
183 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  10:02:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit newpov's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
tvd,

Any links about this man?

Check out the Wilder novel by Yogani, available on amazon.com. It lays out the i am mantra and how to approach it... Be sure to read through to the end of the book, especially chapter 28, p 196. See a chart of how the practices hang together on page 209. Email me privately if you wish. I am a beginner too.

i am IS "the way, the truth, and the life." Jesus was but one "beacon" of the i am, according to Yogani. And this makes perfect sense.

You and I look to lean on another, a savior or guru. Yogani is giving us practices and hoping we will become self-reliant enough to bypass intermediaries and find our Source within.

newpov
Go to Top of Page

TVD

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  10:39:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit TVD's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.sanskritmantra.com/

I'm not looking to rely on anyone, not anymore at least. I'm just trying to clear up some of my confusion.

Edited by - TVD on Sep 20 2008 10:53:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

newpov

USA
183 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  11:04:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit newpov's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I'm not looking to rely on anyone, not anymore at least.

I apologize, I jumped to that conclusion based upon your question, Does anyone know if this guy is legit or a pop guru?

Do look into the "i am" mantrum if you haven't already!

newqpov
Go to Top of Page

x.j.

304 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  01:53:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit x.j.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thomas Ashley Farrand is a prolific author and authority on traditional ancient Sanskrit mantras. He has recorded audio tapes/CDs, with clear and correct pronounciation of each mantra he is discussing. I recommend him very highly. I have benefitted beyond meeasure by adopting mantras that he introduced me to, via his audio tape series entitled "Mantras, Sacred Words of Power".
I am especially fond of the Gayatri mantra,long form which he shows how to pronounce on audio tape.

He does not claim to be a guru. But rather, he is a teacher of the ancient mantra traditions dating back to pre-historic India. In fact I believe that over the last 5000 years, the truly powerful mantras were passed down in uninterrupted succession to us, whereas the less powerful mantras were discarded along the way. In this fashion, Humanity now has a sacred legacy of unprecedented grace and usefulness to all of us. And Ashley-Farrand is one of the main conduits to us in the West, of this sacred science. Horray!

Edited by - x.j. on Oct 13 2008 07:34:09 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000