Enlightenment Milestones
 bliss verses tension
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rebeq11

USA
14 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  11:43:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit rebeq11's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
This is my first post on the website. :) I would like some more insight into the feeling of bliss. A shift of somesort has occured and I feel much closer to union. More aliveness is in every cell. So, I am getting to understand two fundamental states: bliss/union/connection whatever word you choose and then dis-ease or discomfort of some sort (say maybe a tight neck or just mild "nervousness" in the body). I have made a commitment to recognizing dis-ease and attempting to pull myself back into union whenever I first realize that I am doing this to myself. (this is done while I am not meditating, meditating I just stick to the practice). First off, is it an either-or situation? 2nd, any tips on dealing with physical or nervous system discomfort in being "enlightened". Does it exist? 3rd. if anyone knows of scientific-like explanations of WHY purifying the nervous system is the key, could you please pass them along. I have yet to find anything solid.

Thank you so much.

Beck

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  01:38:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Beck, welcome to the forum and thanks for the post. Hopefully someone will have some opinions to share with you on your questions. I too have experienced the 'alive' feeling at what feels like the cell level. It's almost like a vibration at a cellular level.

You might want to give the Main Lessons a read if you haven't done so yet. I personally have experienced some unwanted discomfort (primarily killer headaches) from pushing to extend my practices too quickly. The answer for me was to slow down, decrease the practices and slowly build up, pacing myself.

light and love,
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4382 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  12:13:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Beck,

Welcome to the forum.

In my experience discomfort and bliss can co-exist so it is not an either/ or thing. In fact, bliss can become stronger and stronger until we cannot bear the intensity of it, and have to move. A paradox as Yogani would say .

In AYP the alive feeling in every cell of the body is called "ecstasy" as opposed to "bliss" which is more an expansive sense of euphoria beyond the body and mind. The difference is made as some practices work more to bring about ecstasy, whilst others work more to stimulate bliss. Enlightenment comes about by the creation and merging of the two in the body and beyond.

I don't know why purification of the nervous system is necessary for enlightenment. That's just the way it is. It isn't well documented in many (most) spiritual traditions, and modern science is still a long way off understanding what is happening. Science will catch up one day, but personally I'm not going to wait around until it does.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

rebeq11

USA
14 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  3:11:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit rebeq11's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great clarification between ecstasy and bliss, Christi. That helps.

As per my interest in the nervous system and understanding it (scientificaly that is), I look at it as a hobby. If I get it I do, but if I don't well then there is just being it. I am just starting to teach yoga, and come from a science profession and schooling. Eventhough enlightenment and being it has nothing to do with Western science, I feel compelled to use my skills in trying to make yoga tangible to people. Kinda like a merging of the person I am right now. Any insight would be great!

Beck
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5196 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  3:52:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Beck, and welcome!

You might find this lesson interesting for some additional perspective on on bliss, ecstasy, their marriage, and the emergence of divine love: http://www.aypsite.org/113.html

As for purifying the nervous system, it is like a window that requires cleaning to see all that there is to see. As the window becomes clear, the tension and discomfort become much less, because the essence of what we are is flowing much more smoothly -- we come to know ourselves as stillness in action. Along the way, we use a systematic self-paced approach for cleansing, so we don't stir up more dust (discomfort) than we can handle at any point in time.

To demonstrate that this is not a new concept, here is what is on the dedication page in the new AYP Eight Limbs of Yoga book, quoted from the ancient Yoga Sutras of Patanjali (2:28):

"Through practice of the limbs of Yoga,
whereby impurities are eliminated,
there arises enlightenment..."

Some things never change. All the best on your path!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

newpov

USA
183 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  4:52:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit newpov's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogani,
quote:
you said: we come to know ourselves as stillness in action

Is your "stillness in action" exactly the same as what the Upanishads mean by the Self or the Atman? Or, is this the 4th state, turiya? Either way, does there still remain a sense of individuality?

newpov

Edited by - newpov on Sep 20 2008 5:05:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5196 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  5:04:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by newpov

Yogani,
quote:
you said: we come to know ourselves as stillness in action

Is your "stillness in action" exactly the same as what the Upanishads mean by the Self or the Atman? And, in this state does there still remain a sense of individuality?

newpov

Hi newpov:

Yes, and yes, as far as I know. That is non-duality while making no effort to deny the apparent duality of the world (including our individuality). Engaging in such denial is one of the pitfalls of the mind (see the Self-Inquiry book). Much better to accept the paradox for what it is, and let the divine pour out into it. Hence, stillness in action.

The guru is in you.

PS: Turiya (4th state of consciousness after waking, dreaming and dreamless deep sleep states) is not stillness in action. It is stillness only -- the witness. When stillness and ecstasy join, that gives rise to stillness in action -- outpouring divine love and unity.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000