Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Spinal Nerve
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

neli

USA
283 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  04:11:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit neli's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I don't know what happens, but each time that I focus on the Sushumna is like a game, it appears only when it wants, I have felt it just once, like a tube, in the middle of my spine, but without flowing up and down.
I can feel the energy flowing from my feet to the crown, I don't know if this energy is the K energy. I put a blanket under my feet and meditate on a chair, sometimes on the floor, but it flows better on a chair, don't know why.
Do one has to focus on the Sushumna to feel it ? cause it makes me angry not to feel it. Some other gurus told me not to focus on the Sushumna, but I know that this is important.
Sometimes I think that my Sushumna is like a mule, not wanting to move, even if I do my breathings, Do I have to give it a kick ? To make it move or let her by its own. Maybe this is a proof of Shakti, but its getting me edgy.
I'm also reading the Gopi Krishna book about his experieces with Kundalini, its really interesting.

Any advice ?

Sat Nam
Neli

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  08:19:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  08:20:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Neli:

There is no requirement to see or feel anything during spinal breathing. It is just simple tracing of the breath up and down between root and brow. By constantly expecting and looking for a particular experience, we will retard the process of spinal breathing, just as looking for a particular experience in deep meditation will retard the practice. It is about doing the practice, not expecting any particular experience. That is why we say, "Easily favor the procedure of the practice over any experience that may (or may not) come up."

In learning to let go of our expectations we gain everything.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

neli

USA
283 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  03:33:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit neli's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks a lot Yogani,

I tought we had to focus on the Sushumna, while making the spinal breathing, I can also feel the energy flowing up, very intense, but I cannot feel the Sushumna, only once, and like a tiny tube.

Another teacher from another place told me that it was dangerous to focus on the Sushumna if it was not wide enough, and that it was better to open the heart and smile to it. Is that truth ?

Well I'll do what you said, just let it be and let it flow without any expectations.

I also feel my hands like globes of energy, and sometimes is very intense that I can't feel my hands, just the energy, then I feel my arms moving alone and making some arrangements to my own body.

Sometimes I can touch things with only the energy of my hands, like if enlarged to touch things, very strange.

But I enjoy any experience that Shakti gives.

Sat Nam
Neli

quote:
Originally posted by yogani

Hi Neli:

There is no requirement to see or feel anything during spinal breathing. It is just simple tracing of the breath up and down between root and brow. By constantly expecting and looking for a particular experience, we will retard the process of spinal breathing, just as looking for a particular experience in deep meditation will retard the practice. It is about doing the practice, not expecting any particular experience. That is why we say, "Easily favor the procedure of the practice over any experience that may (or may not) come up."

In learning to let go of our expectations we gain everything.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

neli

USA
283 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  03:37:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit neli's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi Moderator

Sorry for my ignorance, but I don't understand this message, can you explain it ? I have received several of them, but I don't understand what it means.

Thanks in advance.
Sat Nam
Neli

quote:
Originally posted by AYPforum

Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  09:29:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by neli

Hi Moderator

Sorry for my ignorance, but I don't understand this message, can you explain it ? I have received several of them, but I don't understand what it means.

Thanks in advance.
Sat Nam
Neli

quote:

Hi Neli:

It just means a topic was moved by a moderator from one forum category to another. In this case I believe from Satsang Cafe to Pranayama..., which is appropriate, yes? Moving topics is how the forums are kept semi-organized by subject matter. Of course, members posting in the most appropriate forum category to begin with is very helpful.

On the sushumna questions, yes, imagining the spinal nerve as a tiny tube during spinal breathing is the original instruction. But if it becomes a bother, then it is okay to simply go up and down the middle of the body between root and brow. That is an instruction also. Ultimately, the sushumna grows to become as big as the cosmos, with many intermediate stages going from tiny tube through gradually expanding energy column and finally to the cosmic. So it is a relative thing. It is an automatic process stimulated by our practices. There is nothing more we have to do about it. So just be easy with it, without expectations. If you are ending up at the brow when filled with air and at the root when empty, that is good spinal breathing practice. Favor that basic procedure over other energy and/or imagery that comes up, and the rest will take care of itself.

As for what other teachings say about the sushumna, I really can't speak for them. Spinal breathing has a very long and varied history, and as far as I know it is the cream of the pranayama methods (when adequately simplified). The results for many practitioners seem to confirm this.

What is new in AYP is the integration of spinal breathing with deep meditation (practiced in sequence, not at the same time), and that is opening a lot of doors for many practitioners, including the infinite inner space of the heart.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

neli

USA
283 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  08:49:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit neli's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi Yogani,

Thanks a lot for your explanation, I think you are very right to move it to the Pranayama forum. Sometimes one only goes to the active topics, or the kundalini forum, and one must read others as well.

When you talk about the energy expanding the column, is it the column that feels expanded? Cause once I felt the tiny tube, but the energy runs up and down but in a very wide way, the energy flows up through all my back, I mean it doesn't flow up inside the column, but in all my back, like waves, sometimes making shiverings, but this makes me feel stronger ecstasies, in my pranayamas I try to end at the brow, most of the time it works that way, but other times and often, it goes to the crown, and I begin to feel a lot of tingles on the top of my head, and sometimes like something moving in a circular path on the top of my head. Does it mean that the crown chakra is openning ? or is it only a symptom of the chakra ?

I begin my meditation with the spinal breathing always (since I am here in the AYP) and this has helped me a lot!!! then I continue my meditation, sometimes one hour, or 2.

Thanks a lot for your advices.
Sat Nam
Neli

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by neli

Hi Moderator

Thanks in advance.
Sat Nam
Neli

quote:

Hi Neli:

It just means a topic was moved by a moderator from one forum category to another. In this case I believe from Satsang Cafe to Pranayama..., which is appropriate, yes? Moving topics is how the forums are kept semi-organized by subject matter. Of course, members posting in the most appropriate forum category to begin with is very helpful.

On the sushumna questions, yes, imagining the spinal nerve as a tiny tube during spinal breathing is the original instruction. But if it becomes a bother, then it is okay to simply go up and down the middle of the body between root and brow. That is an instruction also. Ultimately, the sushumna grows to become as big as the cosmos, with many intermediate stages going from tiny tube through gradually expanding energy column and finally to the cosmic. So it is a relative thing. It is an automatic process stimulated by our practices. There is nothing more we have to do about it. So just be easy with it, without expectations. If you are ending up at the brow when filled with air and at the root when empty, that is good spinal breathing practice. Favor that basic procedure over other energy and/or imagery that comes up, and the rest will take care of itself.

As for what other teachings say about the sushumna, I really can't speak for them. Spinal breathing has a very long and varied history, and as far as I know it is the cream of the pranayama methods (when adequately simplified). The results for many practitioners seem to confirm this.

What is new in AYP is the integration of spinal breathing with deep meditation (practiced in sequence, not at the same time), and that is opening a lot of doors for many practitioners, including the infinite inner space of the heart.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  10:38:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Neli:

The perception of the spinal nerve (sushumna) may remain as a small ecstatic thread or tube, even as the energy is expanding. Or there could be no perception of the tiny thread, with a huge column of ecstatic energy whirling about. All of this is a process of purification and opening, and maintaining steady forward progress with comfort and safety is the priority.

In AYP we always favor the center in spinal breathing, no matter how wide or diverse the energy may become. We also favor the brow as the top point -- over time it may naturally expand upward as inner silence and ecstatic conductivity advance. There can be long term difficulties resulting from favoring the crown as the top point too early -- see lessons under "Crown Opening (avoiding premature)" in the Topic Index of the website or the AYP Easy Lessons book.

It sounds like you are doing a hybrid routine with several systems mixed. That is your choice, and it can work if consistency in daily practice and prudent self-pacing are maintained.

One thing I can tell you is, if you do AYP deep meditation for one or two hours, it will take a spatula to scrape you off the ceiling, sooner or later (probably sooner), so it is not advised.

For the AYP practices, it is best to stick with the AYP instructions. For other systems of practice, I really can't offer much, except the suggestion for maintaining daily consistency, self-pacing, and a caution about doubling up on similar practices, which can lead to overload.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  1:02:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yogani,
when I do spinal breathing if I breath slow enough I feel as if my breath is equal in both nostrils instead of one being dominant. It also actually feels as if the breath is coming in at the thr third eye instead of through the nostrils, I can do this and trace the nerve at the same time.
Thoughts?
thanks
Neil
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  2:13:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by tubeseeker

yogani,
when I do spinal breathing if I breath slow enough I feel as if my breath is equal in both nostrils instead of one being dominant. It also actually feels as if the breath is coming in at the thr third eye instead of through the nostrils, I can do this and trace the nerve at the same time.
Thoughts?
thanks
Neil

Hi Neil:

Sounds like good practice. Just remember to keep favoring the practice over the experience, and all will continue to develop naturally.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

neli

USA
283 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  04:28:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit neli's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi Yogani,

Thanks for your advice, I try always to focus at the brow, but the energy has its own drive, even if I don't want it to go to the crown.
The strange thing is that I feel the energy by the outside, not by the inside, like was the case of Gopi krishna.

I'm focusing also in the spine, to feel more the thread, although all the energy flows up through all my back, like if expanded, but I'm trying hard to put it inside the column, the problem is that the energy is very strong and its too much energy, and I don't think it can fit inside the column, unless the column is open and wide, and I'm not aware of that.

I'm only doing the AYP and the Jhanas, cause I have many years in Jhanas, but the Kunlun, I just did it one week, and I began to have nightmares, so I left it immediately, so no Kunlun anymore. Well there were not like nightmares, but things about the past that I
didn´t want to recall.

I have always meditated from 3 to 4 hours daily, now I have lessened to 1 or 2 hours, and it seems like 5 minutes to me.I mean my body is used to the meditation since many years ago.

I´ll try to stick to the AYP instructions, hope I can lessen more the time, but 20 minutes for me is like 1 minute, normally I do one hour of AYP and the other hour or half hour of Jhanas. But lately, I just do 20 minutes of jhanas. Jhanas is like a tranquillizer to the K energy.

Sat Nam
Neli

quote:

Hi Neli:

The perception of the spinal nerve (sushumna) may remain as a small ecstatic thread or tube, even as the energy is expanding. Or there could be no perception of the tiny thread, with a huge column of ecstatic energy whirling about. All of this is a process of purification and opening, and maintaining steady forward progress with comfort and safety is the priority.

In AYP we always favor the center in spinal breathing, no matter how wide or diverse the energy may become. We also favor the brow as the top point -- over time it may naturally expand upward as inner silence and ecstatic conductivity advance. There can be long term difficulties resulting from favoring the crown as the top point too early -- see lessons under "Crown Opening (avoiding premature)" in the Topic Index of the website or the AYP Easy Lessons book.

It sounds like you are doing a hybrid routine with several systems mixed. That is your choice, and it can work if consistency in daily practice and prudent self-pacing are maintained.

One thing I can tell you is, if you do AYP deep meditation for one or two hours, it will take a spatula to scrape you off the ceiling, sooner or later (probably sooner), so it is not advised.

For the AYP practices, it is best to stick with the AYP instructions. For other systems of practice, I really can't offer much, except the suggestion for maintaining daily consistency, self-pacing, and a caution about doubling up on similar practices, which can lead to overload.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000