Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 head being pulled back
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  1:00:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
In my meditation today, to my great surprise my tongue went back by itself and fixed itself between the soft and hard of the roof of the mouth. Simultaneously my head felt like it was being pulled backwards by a great force. It felt uncomfortable and my head was against the wall - i think it would have gone even further if the wall wasn't there - so i pulled out of meditation.

Does anyone know what this is?

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  12:49:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If my head wants to go back I just let it. The body has its wisdom and I don't think its good to force it into a position. It is a purification process and seems to me like a release of a block in the throat more than a crown problem.Once I let it go back and feel the release I see how it feels in the next session. That urge may go away or it might come back. Just be sensitive to the changes and eventually gently bring it back to balance

Edited by - Victor on Jul 22 2008 01:06:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  06:30:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Victor. How does it relate to the throat? Is it the throat chakra? I haven't any experience with chakras, i don't percieve, hear or feel them.

Also, i don't understand how i would self-pace this experience. If it happens then it just happens - it is not in my control unless i deliberately stop meditating.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  07:04:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Gumpi,

That is what we call automatic yoga. See Yoga FAQ: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=2231

I have had and still have this A LOT. There are all kinds of automatic movements that may occur. When energy goes in to clean the nervous system, the muscles may twich and turn when blockages loosen up.

It is very common with the head turning backwards, down, to the sides... We usually have many blockages in the throat area (throat chakra) so there are often a lot of energy in the neck and throat, giving tensions, movements, caughing, a soar throat or other symptoms.

There's nothing to do but to let it have it's way - as Victor says: the body is wise and never does any automatic yoga that is harmful in any way.
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  08:19:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi emc,

Yeah i know it is automatic! It's a strange kind of automatic though because i can stop it at the same time.

I put my tongue back to begin with, deliberately, and when i released it i didn't release the contraction of the throat. So that is why it may have happened. Funny though!

How are chakra blockages dealt with? And what exactly does it mean to say a chakra is blocked?
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  08:38:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You can read more about chakras in the lessons, this one for example: http://www.aypsite.org/47.html

Our system is blocked by patterns, conditioning, thoughts and emotions... That's what is cleansed by our practices, meditation being the supreme broom... Stillness and kundalini sweeps through the body in and out of practices to clean out all our impurities.
Go to Top of Page

Yogaman

USA
295 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2013 :  8:44:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I too have been having regular automatic yoga with the head pulling back quite drastically. Jaw lowers & mouth opens as well. My question: is it OK to pull the head back up if this is uncomfortable? The head wants to pull back so far, it starts to hurt a bit, like continuous tension.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4380 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2013 :  03:23:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogaman,

Yes, it is fine to pull the head back to a normal position any time. There is no requirement to follow whatever automatic yoga movements the body wants to do and it fact it can be detrimental if the movements are excessive. Best to keep an eye on what is happening and self pace where needed.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2013 :  2:34:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by gumpi
It's a strange kind of automatic though because i can stop it at the same time.

Hi gumpi,

I had a similar experience: automatic yoga combined with freedom to stop it at any time (which is normal, as Christi indicates above). I also found that I could set parameters so the the movements would go only so far, then reach a limit and stop at a point according to my choosing. In particular, I was getting neck pain and wanted to prevent further pain. Before discovering that I could set conscious limits on movement, I actually went out and got a neck brace to restrict the movement to safe limits, and yet still let the movement do its thing. I very much enjoyed it. Only later, did I realize that I could set mental limits, and my body would comply. As I recall, this was all before I found AYP. Now, over ten years later, the automatic yoga is pretty much gone, and I like it that way. It was great for a while for getting to know my body in the energy awakening stage: like a second adolescence. But once I found my way to AYP, I was ripe for seeing the benefit in drawing on the long traditions of practices that move the energy through the most functional channels, so that it goes smoothly.

Enjoy wisely

Namaste

Edited by - bewell on Aug 19 2013 2:40:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Yogaman

USA
295 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2013 :  10:50:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Christi

Hi Yogaman,

Yes, it is fine to pull the head back to a normal position any time. There is no requirement to follow whatever automatic yoga movements the body wants to do and it fact it can be detrimental if the movements are excessive. Best to keep an eye on what is happening and self pace where needed.

Christi

Great, thanks for the clarification. Again tonight and it was pulling very hard. Becomes painful.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000