Prana Vidya, Anyone?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Juliet

43 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  8:41:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Juliet's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have been reading Swami Niranjanananda Saraswati's book "Prana Pranayama Prana Vidya" and am wondering if anyone has thought of these sort of disciplined Prana Vidya practices as possible companion practices to AYP.

These are definitely very advanced practices, but not, I don't think, beyond the reach of a serious AYP practitioner.

I realize in reading through the book that a lot of what he describes are, in fact, very similar to things I have been doing all along, albeit spontaneously and in an undisciplined and (relatively speaking) disorganized manner.

Anybody have thoughts/experience/insight?

Juliet

Edited by - Juliet on Jul 08 2008 8:43:39 PM

x.j.

304 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  12:40:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit x.j.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Juliet, Little Turtle
Yes indeed, you have found the crown jewel of yogic purpose in this wonderful book, in my opinion.
This book presents the central teaching that we develop conscious control of the movement of prana in the body, learn to store and accumulate prana at Ajna, and from there, learn to distribute the prana to different parts of the body and learn the skill of directing this prana for healing others. I do not claim to have full mastery of this art, but I am quite sure that the AYP practice of "spinal breathing" and the other practices as well, are an excellent foundation from which to springboard into the mastery of control of prana, through the techniques outlined in this book. Thereby we learn about directing the prana and eventually, of being a healer.
Traditionally, and I believe the author of this book, Swami Niranjananda, makes this point, that one needs a skilled teacher to assist one in this art. But as is true in the AYP paradigm, we are truly our own guru, so I feel we can do no harm to ourselves or others with Prana Vidya practices, but much good. I recommend this book emphatically. Glad you found it. This book takes you right along, further, on the journey you have begun, with spinal breathing.
Go to Top of Page

Juliet

43 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  2:33:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Juliet's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi John,

Thanks for the confirmation on that instinct.

On the live guru/teacher vs. "Guru in you" issue: Have you been working directly with anyone on these practices? Google (and the inherently esoteric nature of the practices) tells me that there are few teachers out there, save those directly connected with Bihar. There is *one* group however, with teachers around the US called "TriYoga." Know anything about them? It had a bit of a McYoga feel, but that could just be the surface.

There were a couple of serious "don't try this at home" type warnings (e.g. expansion/contraction of the heart area) that gave me pause--particulary as I have a premature kundalini history.

Also, can you offer something on how you are proceeding? Did you start at the beginning with the first exercise and work steadily forward in a methodical manner as suggested? If so, did you feel comfortable moving more quickly through the initial practices which may have been similar to practices already in your regime?

The power of the material is palpable, literally. I can feel a profound difference in my pranic body simply having read through the material (and having imagined doing the exercises while reading). It's like pranamaya kosha is kind of "eager" for it...

Juliet

Edited by - Juliet on Jul 09 2008 2:39:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Juliet

43 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  12:39:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Juliet's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just wanted to add a note of thanks and gratitude to Yogani--it is due to his straightforward and elegant work in AYP that I was able to finally sort out nagging energy imbalances manifested in connection with the kundalini symptoms mentioned above. For that I am eternally grateful...

Many thanks!

Juliet

Edited by - Juliet on Jul 10 2008 12:43:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

x.j.

304 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  12:51:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit x.j.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Juliet, I posted a reply to you but deleted it. I think i felt a little odd talking about Prana Vidya because I know so little about anything and defer to the greater great guys around like Yogani, who I also appreciate. But in any case, here are some answers to your questions however meaningless my answers may be.See bold type.
quote:
Originally posted by Juliet

Hi John,

On the live guru/teacher vs. "Guru in you" issue: Have you been working directly with anyone on these practices? Answer: No.
Furthermore, I think a guru or in other words, a skilled teacher has been considered essential to awaken the kundalini, but since ours is already awakened, I see no relevance to seeking an external physical teacher. What can she/he teach us if our kundalini is already awake?
Furthermore the practices of Pranayama Prana Vidya are readily apparent, no mystery, its all there in this book for anyone with an awakened Kundalini to go to and do it.

There were a couple of serious "don't try this at home" type warnings (e.g. expansion/contraction of the heart area) that gave me pause--particulary as I have a premature kundalini history.
My opinion as to the danger of Prana Vidya is not in the expansion and relaxation phases of the prana but rather in the area of applying pranic healing to other people. I think there is a danger of depleting your own prana somehow. That's my understanding of the dangers.
Also, can you offer something on how you are proceeding? Did you start at the beginning with the first exercise and work steadily forward in a methodical manner as suggested? If so, did you feel comfortable moving more quickly through the initial practices which may have been similar to practices already in your regime?
I have not proceeded in a systematic fashion. I follow intuition in these things. I am an eclectic. From AYP I have benefited most from dynamic chin pump, but have always done pranayamas like nadi shodana, and yoni mudra. And like the book on Prana Vidya mentions, I too have utilized So-Ham and Gayatri mantras in my daily practices, and have seen the appearance of Ajapa japa arise for me. So in many respects the practices of the Prana Vidya book are by coincidence, my core practices. They also mention kechari mudra, and visualizations including spinal breathing , so there is much crossover with yoga mainstream and Advanced Yoga Practices of Yogani in particular.
The power of the material is palpable, literally. I can feel a profound difference in my pranic body simply having read through the material (and having imagined doing the exercises while reading). It's like pranamaya kosha is kind of "eager" for it...
I too have felt a profound stirring of the energy system from simply reading the book, and on any re-reading of the book as well.
Juliet

In addition I am interested if any others have resonated with the practices mentioned in this book. So Juliet, you are well aware of the prana during your spinal breathing, right? If so are you not able to go with all the other practices in the book to develop other voluntary control of prana, already? What do others think?
Go to Top of Page

Juliet

43 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2008 :  02:29:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Juliet's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, John.

My concern was more with maybe winding up with some sort of imbalance again--but perhaps that is not so much of an issue at this point. There is, however, something important to be said for approaching things "systematically" (one of Swami Rama's favorite terms) in these types of practices, as I have discovered... so I am less cavalier now than in the past, having both experienced life from the perspective of the Sorcerer's Apprentice--and also benefited from seeing the sometimes profound and surprising results of effecting mind through ritual (whose synonym can also be "protocol"). The logic you sometimes simply can't see until afterwards.

Anyway, let me do some experimenting and post back--I have some ideas.

Interesting you mention Gayatri, I just "found" it about 6 months ago, and perhaps it helped prepare my system for this response to the prana vida material. I guess it is really a key. I have also experienced a kind of automatic ajapa japa with it--not, perhaps, the most subtle kind possible, but at least for example "finding" it there daily upon waking, as though it had been present through out sleep.

Also, another little thing that was interesting: I was fairly astonished to find that I understood effortlessly practically every one of those fairly obscure references and bits of esoteric terminology. I can remember a time when I would have picked up a text like that and it would have been totally Greek. "In another life!" I would have said to myself, before tossing it aside in frustration. A little reality check on how far I've come. Now it was, like: "ketchari mudra?" "check!" "ajapa japa?" "check!" "siddha yoni asana?" "check!"

I think the only terms that were really foreign to me were "chidakasha dharana," and "tattwa shuddi," and "chakra shuddi." I do know that shuddi is purification, but do you know what specific practices he refers to? They are mentioned in the section on "prerequisites" in the prana vidya intro. I also don't know what the kriyas are he recommends.

I also wonder if you have done much in the way of focused work with chakras (as he recommends as preliminary). I have not, with the exception of ajna.

Juliet

Edited by - Juliet on Jul 12 2008 09:58:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

x.j.

304 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  01:00:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit x.j.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Juliet,
See my comments below interspersed amidst your comments and concerns. Mine are in bold letters.
quote:

Hey, John.

My concern was more with maybe winding up with some sort of imbalance again--but perhaps that is not so much of an issue at this point. There is, however, something important to be said for approaching things "systematically" (one of Swami Rama's favorite terms) in these types of practices, as I have discovered... so I am less cavalier now than in the past, having both experienced life from the perspective of the Sorcerer's Apprentice--and also benefited from seeing the sometimes profound and surprising results of effecting mind through ritual (whose synonym can also be "protocol"). The logic you sometimes simply can't see until afterwards.
Approach it systematically then, and follow the book sequence.No reason not to. However, you are experiencing your prana flow during spinal breathing practice so you don't need to start from scratch at the very beginning, though it wouldn't do any harm to do so if you like.Anyway, let me do some experimenting and post back--I have some ideas.

Interesting you mention Gayatri, I just "found" it about 6 months ago, and perhaps it helped prepare my system for this response to the prana vida material. I guess it is really a key. I have also experienced a kind of automatic ajapa japa with it--not, perhaps, the most subtle kind possible, but at least for example "finding" it there daily upon waking, as though it had been present through out sleep. .

I think the only terms that were really foreign to me were "chidakasha dharana," and "tattwa shuddi," and "chakra shuddi." I do know that shuddi is purification, but do you know what specific practices he refers to? They are mentioned in the section on "prerequisites" in the prana vidya intro.
1. Chidakasha dharana is meditation with your awareness maintained upon the visual reality at Ajna, called chidakasha, i.e. the gold ring or dot.
2. Chakra shuddhi, is the practice of the 52 bija petal sounds that is recited daily as part of your practice. This info is available to you to learn as the audio CD of Harish Johari intoning the 52 sounds(available on Amazon.com called "Sounds of the Chakras". I love that practice.
3.Tattwa shuddhi, see the book by Swami Satyasangananda, which is likewise available on Amazon.com. Each chakra represents a particular element. This is done by using color cards of symbols of the elements or tattwas(called yantras), which are the psychic symbolic-reality of each chakra. We become them. These are stared at, using the technique of Trataka during mantra meditation.

4.Regarding kriyas, See the book called "Kriya Yoga, It's Mystery and Performing Arts" by Swami Sadhanananda Giri for pertinent information if interested.
I also wonder if you have done much in the way of focused work with chakras (as he recommends as preliminary). Yes,see 2. above regarding that.
Juliet

[

Edited by - x.j. on Jul 14 2008 5:58:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

Juliet

43 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  01:42:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Juliet's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Chidakasha! That's what that thingy is called? Wow! That's been bugging me forever!

Then, would "deep meditation" AYP style (using one of the AYP mantras), but with chidakasha as the object of the drishti (which Yogani leaves deliberately uspecified) constitute valid chidakasha dharana, you think?

Or would the chidakasha alone need to be the object of meditation, without mantra?

Edited by - Juliet on Jul 14 2008 01:50:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

x.j.

304 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  02:16:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit x.j.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Chidakasha! That's what that thingy is called? Wow! That's been bugging me forever!

Then, would "deep meditation" AYP style (using one of the AYP mantras), but with chidakasha as the object of the drishti (which Yogani leaves deliberately uspecified) constitute valid chidakasha dharana, you think? AYP stands as is.
Or would the chidakasha alone need to be the object of meditation, without mantra? Personally I do both with and without.

[b]

Edited by - x.j. on Jul 14 2008 5:49:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Juliet

43 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  1:17:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Juliet's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, agreed. Thanks for the clarity and insight.

Here's another good resource for related material:
http://www.atmacenter.com/store/shop-cds.htm

And Vyaas Houston (American Sanskrit Institute) has a gorgeous Bija Mantra Chakra tuning audio as well.

Edited by - Juliet on Jul 14 2008 1:48:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

x.j.

304 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  2:49:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit x.j.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Juliet,
Thanks for that link. Have you purchased any of the audio CD's and if so, how do you like them? Would you mind describing any of them that you like a lot and what they consist of? Are they melodious and can you chant along with?
thanks,
John
P.S. Why haven't we heard form anybody else on this topic? Are Prana Vidya practices of no general interest to AYP readers? Or are they just on summer vacation?

Edited by - x.j. on Jul 14 2008 5:10:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Juliet

43 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  11:11:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Juliet's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, I just ordered today the Prana Vidya CDs, I will tell you how they are when I get them!

I think we are the only ones posting because this is (still) fairly obscure. Also, we may have mis-characterized the practice early on as being useful mainly as a healing modality.

Here is another view:

The aim of prana vidya
"The immediate aim of prana vidya is to awaken and manipulate prana consciously. By developing subtle awareness the practitioner is able to perceive and gain knowledge of the nature of prana, which in turn leads to new dimensions of awareness. Prana vidya is concerned with both the expansion of consciousness and the awakening of prana that eventually leads to meditation and perfect union--yoga. Healing is, in this light, only of secondary importance. In fact, prana vidya involves the awakening of the total personality and leads to self-realization or moksha, its ultimate goal." http://padma.org.uk/tiki/tiki-read_...398b581f8efd

I'm adding this other bit from the same site:

Benefits of prana vidya
"The benefits of prana vidya are felt on the physical, psychological and spiritual levels. The first benefit is a complete charging of the body. You will feel that you have been reborn because you will be so fresh, relaxed and full of vitality. There is an improvement in the functioning of all the inner organs, the digestion, endocrinal system, respiratory system, circulatory system, heart, brain, muscles, nerves, etc. Prana vidya creates the expansion of consciousness in terms of attaining mental clarity, developing greater awareness and the ability to cope with all the situations of life. It gives finer control over the fluctuations of emotions, and increased rationality. The state of one pointed concentration or dharana is achieved spontaneously. However, it should be kept in mind that the ultimate goal of prana vidya is enlightenment."

Edited by - Juliet on Jul 14 2008 11:40:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

x.j.

304 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  02:18:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit x.j.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Juliet,
Thanks for the nice quotes. I like those. I agree absolutely.
Keep us posted on further explorations of Prana Vidya.

Edited by - x.j. on Jul 15 2008 6:38:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

Theo

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  12:56:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Theo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am also reading this book. It is FASCINATING and HIGHLY VALUABLE information -- I have not gotten to the practices yet... I am still reading (and re-reading) the first few chapters.

This book is such a wealth of riches.

Go to Top of Page

Juliet

43 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  12:49:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Juliet's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Can't wait to hear what you think about the prana vidya section, in the 2nd half...

Let us know!

Juliet
Go to Top of Page

panoramix

Spain
9 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  1:35:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit panoramix's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Many of the books of Yoga Publications Trust of the Bihar School of Yoga are excelent.

I recommend you Kundalini Tantra and Hatha Yoga Pradipika.

OM SHANTI
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5196 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  2:11:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All:

I too have found the excellent Satyananda and Bihar books to be very helpful over the years, even though they take a somewhat different angle than AYP on unfolding human spiritual transformation -- more hatha and sannyasin oriented and less deep meditation, samyama, hatha and tantra in-the-world oriented.

Whatever works. All paths lead home, as long as we can stay on one.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

Juliet

43 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  1:12:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Juliet's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again for keepin' us on the "straight and narrow," Yogani!

Point well taken...
Go to Top of Page

x.j.

304 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  10:44:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit x.j.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

I too have found the excellent Satyananda and Bihar books to be very helpful over the years, even though they take a somewhat different angle than AYP on unfolding human spiritual transformation -- more hatha and sannyasin oriented and less deep meditation, samyama, hatha and tantra in-the-world oriented.

I find that "spinal breathing" is a Prana Vidya practice... in so far as "spinal breathing" brings the circulation of prana under conscious control. And this is indeed deep meditation. So for me, I see this all as the same process. It's all yoga, and human transformation is a single process. That's my take on it.
I like the combination of alternate nostril breathing, followed by dynamic chin pump, followed by spinal breathing, and continue the spinal breathing/circulation of prana going for longer and longer periods of time, like an hour at a time. This leads into a very deep meditative state indeed, and has a dramatic transformative effect.
Is this not Prana Vidya, I ask, rhetorically?
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5196 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  11:26:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi John:

While I agree that spinal breathing may be considered to be part of prana vidya, by whatever definition, I do not agree that any form of pranayama can be rightly called meditation. While some systems take this approach, it is not what we are teaching in AYP, and not consistent with the yoga sutras of Patanjali either, which clearly delineate the practices of pranayama and meditation as two of the eight limbs of yoga. Nevertheless, many systems combine them in practice, at the risk of missing the full benefit of both practices, deep meditation in particular.

This is an important point, and is at the heart of distinguishing paths that tend to be hatha-oriented from those that are broader in approach and address deep meditation as a separate and distinct practice. I'm sure the debate will go on, and all I am saying here is that we should make the distinction between the two approaches, so we might someday know the truth about it, hopefully by the benefit of our own experience.

The discussion about pranayama not being meditation, or visa versa, has occurred several times before in the forums in relation to various Yoga and Buddhist systems of breath awareness. It is covered in the AYP lessons also. The essence of the debate from this side is that, while the breath can provide an object for meditation up to a point, it ceases when the breath naturally suspends, thus curtailing the opportunity for "deep meditation" leading to the full cultivation of abiding inner silence (samadhi). As you know, in AYP deep meditation we use an inward sound as the object (mantra), and the inevitable natural suspension of breath presents no limitation in this. In AYP, we do our spinal breathing pranayama as a separate practice before deep meditation. This provides for the full benefit of both practices.

On a related point, which is often asked about, favoring breath awareness at the same time while using the mantra is not recommended, because it divides the mind and waters down the effect of deep meditation. The breath is treated like any other thought, sensation or experience that may come up during deep meditation -- the mantra is easily favored again when we notice that we are not on it.

Pranayama, depending on the technique used (practiced separate from deep meditation in AYP), can deliver a settling of the nervous system, the balanced awakening of ecstatic conductivity, and the introversion of sensory perception (pratyahara). This is both a preparation for deep meditation and an important component of human spiritual transformation. But it is not samadhi, which requires systematic means to go much deeper to inner silence. In the end, it is the natural joining of these two cultivated qualities (ecstatic conductivity and abiding inner silence) that enable the enlightened condition to flower in ordinary life -- stillness in action, which is an endless outpouring of divine love.

Well, not to belabor the point, but it usually gets me going when pranayama is called meditation, or visa versa, because blurring the lines can blur the practice, and there is no telling how far off we might wander. That is from the AYP point of view, of course, which I am obliged to present. Everyone must make their own distinctions and choices about these things. When in doubt, check the yoga sutras, where the benefits of integrated yoga practice are beautifully expressed. Or maybe check the AYP lessons? And, by all means, continue to explore the possibilities ... rhetorically, or otherwise...

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

x.j.

304 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  11:34:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit x.j.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Yogani for your thoughtful reply. I will have to digest all that you have said here, because I do not understand it fully right now. All I am saying is that, for me at least, one practice naturally transitions into the next and I find ever deepening levels of both awareness of prana and fullness of prana, and this naturally leads like a natural progression, into a deep meditative state, samadhi, where egoic function and body awareness seem to totally dissolve away, into a fullness of universal consciousness and unity with all of nature and all that exists, and I become totally at one with all beings, all trees, all rocks, the sky, and for a time, whether an hour or two, there is an almost-impossible-to-describe Unity. That is all I am saying, within the limitations of human thought and language of descriptive expression.
My love to you Yogani,
John
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5196 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  12:02:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi John:

That is wonderful, and no one can deny your experience, least of all me.

Nevertheless, I think is is important to remain clear about the distinctions between pranayama and meditation. The traditions that have smooshed them together into a singular concept and practice have often done so at a cost to their practitioners, which can be seen in results over the long run.

Another way to look at it is to say:
Pranayama is the control and enlivenment of prana.
Meditation is the transcendence of prana.

Is there some overlap? Yes, certainly. But one function cannot replace the other. By whatever means, we need both functions operating in daily practice to move forward toward enlightenment.

The guru is in you.

PS: It might be helpful to look back at your practices over the years and see how much has been meditation and how much has been prana/energy-related practices. I recall you have been very strong on mantra use in the past. Could it be your pranayama is doing so well in transcendence now because of your background in meditation? Often times, present experiences on our path are not so much about what we have been doing lately, but more about what we have been doing over the long term in the past -- laying the groundwork for breakthroughs with minimal additional cultivation required. In other words, we get ripe.

Teachers sometimes make the mistake of focusing too much on the "what I have done lately" (epitomized in the saying, "Be here now!"), rather than the forgotten years/decades of effective practices that have formed the foundation of purification and opening that can now be enjoyed in the present with a little bhakti, pranayama, self-inquiry, whole body mudra, or whatever.

Just some food for thought...

Whatever the case may be, it is suggested to keep things in balance going forward, and enjoy!

Go to Top of Page

x.j.

304 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2008 :  7:18:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit x.j.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I would humbly like to resurrect this thread because I re-read the book (Prana Pranayama Prana Vidya) mentioned above.
I benefitted so much from doing the spinal breathing loop in terms of an invigorating of the prana currents, that it just seems real exciting to me to maybe someday be able to develop the pranic healing skills inherent in us all. Maybe some self interest involved too, because by learing to direct the prana consciously, one can do self healing as the first step, and then fulfil that old boy scout promise to always be a help to others when the situation arises.
I have been doing the "variant" of spinal breathing mentioned in the book, where one goes up by the frontal channel and down the sushumna, and also the other practice of going up pingala dropping off prana at Ajna and then going back down the central sushumna channel to Muladhara to repeat the cycle. Then when there is a noticable throbbing at Ajna of energy accumulation, radiating that energy out into the world on the inhalation of air from ajna as an expansion, and a contraction or relaxation of that energy back into ajna on the exhalation. I really love that idea of radiating love outwards from ourselves into the world. Just a humble attempt at spreading some of that healing energy to our town and our country and the world and the oceans...
Comments gladly accepted!
x.j.
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2008 :  12:18:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi XJ,
It is easy to do what you are seeking, you just need the belief and knowledge.If meditating you will also find the healing energy is much stronger and increases with more purification.I was given 'The Love Empowerment' a few years back which is a very poweful tool also for radiating love.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2008 :  1:02:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

themysticseeker

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2008 :  2:46:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit themysticseeker's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by x.j.

I would humbly like to resurrect this thread because I re-read the book (Prana Pranayama Prana Vidya) mentioned above.
I benefitted so much from doing the spinal breathing loop in terms of an invigorating of the prana currents, that it just seems real exciting to me to maybe someday be able to develop the pranic healing skills inherent in us all. Maybe some self interest involved too, because by learing to direct the prana consciously, one can do self healing as the first step, and then fulfil that old boy scout promise to always be a help to others when the situation arises.
I have been doing the "variant" of spinal breathing mentioned in the book, where one goes up by the frontal channel and down the sushumna, and also the other practice of going up pingala dropping off prana at Ajna and then going back down the central sushumna channel to Muladhara to repeat the cycle. Then when there is a noticable throbbing at Ajna of energy accumulation, radiating that energy out into the world on the inhalation of air from ajna as an expansion, and a contraction or relaxation of that energy back into ajna on the exhalation. I really love that idea of radiating love outwards from ourselves into the world. Just a humble attempt at spreading some of that healing energy to our town and our country and the world and the oceans...
Comments gladly accepted!
x.j.

Hi x.j., This is a wonderful and timely thread. So I'm interested in these teachings, though I am not familiar with them. I bought the book and will read it. I am, however, capable of self-healing using prana and healing others even at a distance. Two things I would like to mention about this.

First, pranayama is a preparation for meditation. It quiets the body into slower cycles, slower heart beats, slower breathing etc. It does so while it heats up kundalini. Meditation is where one becomes aware of the power of the will, beyond the scope of limited ego. Until one has gained a level of insight into truth the ability to direct prana will not be available. When the nature of our relationship with life as omnipresent within the cosmos becomes apparent to us, then we can heal. We will experience prana collecting at the forehead, and will it anywhere in our own bodies or anywhere else. Many may not agree with me, but kundalini is really illusory and a limiting idea. Indeed there is a nervous system and we should develop it, but when we finally sense the omnipresent nature of the essence of life, our prana and our kundalini are everywhere too. My experience with kundalini is that it's origin is driven by our desire. We might believe that kundalini rises from the groin, but it could just as easily flow from the heart outwardly. It could also generate from the stomach, the head, the hands or whatever. Life has no form.

Secondly, faith alone is sufficient to heal others. Even an uninitiated non-yogi with strong faith can will a healing of self and others. Why is that? The transcendental experience of altered states of consciousness are also illusory. This is purely my view. You can disagree if you want; I won't argue with you. I offer you food for thought, as my experiences are that of a ferrell cat. Suffice it for me to say that strong bhaki, as you say here, leads from the unlimited spiritual power of the heart. From the heart, not ajna we tap immense power flowing through the cosmos. The forehead provides the insight and the understanding to know what and how to do it. It provides the mental account for the truth. Non-yogis arrive at the healing power of faith due to many experiences. I'm not talking about blind faith. Perhaps, someone saw a sign or witnessed a miracle and realized the Cosmos is alive as a supernatural person and is communicating with them, calling them. So the faithful non-yogi "saw" the truth realized that miracles are real. The fire of passionate faith ignites and generates great power from the heart.

My ability comes from both yogi practice, and when I left practice into my path of worldly experience, I saw the reality of faith healing. I survived many things by willing it. Now, I realize that these feelings of prana in different locations in the body are more or less signs for you to "see" the potential of your power. These are there to boost your faith. At some point, it is important to know that these feelings are caused by your willing them.

Why is it you don't already know you can heal anyone right now? Why do you suffer even one day with illness? You don't have the faith. If you want to have it, then imagine the intense feeling of prana in the palm of your hand. Spend five minutes doing nothing but willing an intense feeling of prana in the palm of your hand. Otherwise feel the prana collecting in your forehead, then feel it pouring like water into your hand. If you can feel that, then you can heal someone. You can also do many other things besides healing someone, but they're dangerous. Make sure your intentions are altruistic and you will heal the world and your self in it.

Disclaimer: My view has evolved since I began tantra practice 30 years ago. Recent vision has put me more into the camp of interdependent origination and emptiness, i.e., buddhist view. I find it a more accurate view capable of more sophisticated descriptions of the "never never land." YMMV. Gracias.

WE ARE THE COSMOS!

TMS

Edited by - themysticseeker on Dec 09 2008 3:07:36 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000