Bhakti and Karma Yoga
 Opening the heart chakra
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Frank-in-SanDiego

USA
363 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  12:28:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank-in-SanDiego's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hari Om
~~~~~~~
Hello sadhu's (or those on the spiritual pursuit).
One main lesson on AYP is on opening the heart chakra.
This is a wonderful thing to consider. http://www.aypsite.org/220.html
Yogani discusses the Ishtadevata in that particular post.
Not many of us in the West know our ishtadevata. If we are
Christians , Jesus is perfect; if we are from India or
Santana Dharma (~ Hinduism) some know their ishta and some
do not, yet many are aware of Sri Ram, Sri Krsna, Sri Nharmasima,
Siva, etc.
IF one was interested in finding thier ishta, one could look to
a practicing Jyotisha (~ astrologer) and they can assist.
Now, if one pursues this, let me recommend that you ask the
Jytotisha to view the Navamsa ( 9th divisional) chart for this info.
Many Jyotisha's just deal with the birth chart ( rasi chart) and
look to the 9th house... Not a bad first start, but a better selection is advised by Maharshi Jaimini in his Upadasa sutras.

I mention this in case you pursue and the astrologer you talk to needs the audit trail behind this recommendation.... this comes from my teacher and paramapra (or my teacher's lineage). Marharshi Jaimini, for those inquisitive minds, was a student of Veda Vyasa, one of the greatest rishi's in the rishi tradition, who in part was the son of Parasara, considered the father of Joytish and all astrology.

This then may assist you to the Heart Chakra technique via the ishtadevata.

Regards,
Frank In San Diego

Edited by - AYPforum on Aug 11 2005 10:38:37 PM

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  10:38:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This topic has been moved from "Satsang Cafe" to "Bhakti, Jnana and Karma Yogas." Whenever possible, kindly place topics in forums where there is a fit.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  10:36:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Frank:

While jyotish/astrology has some merit in pondering general trends, I don't recommend it for determining such specific things as one's ishta (chosen ideal). That is a contradiction, isn't it? Ishta means one's chosen ideal -- not an ideal chosen by an astrologer or anyone else. It is entirely personal, based on the deepest longings within one's heart. Indeed, one's ishta may begin as one thing (like the burning question, "Who am I?"), and end up as something else later on (a particular deity or an intimate relationship with the truth of one's own inner silence and ecstatic energies.) Who can decide these things but the person involved? Enlightenment is not gained through consultants, but through developing self-reliance in matters of our own spirit.

Add to this the fact that some of the major schools of jyotish cannot agree on what yuga (age) we are in, or even how long a yuga is! Are these the people we should be entrusting our spiritual destiny to? I think not. Much better to listen closely to the voice of divine longing within us. The heart is a better doorway to the cosmos than the mind.

The guru is in you.

PS -- For more on the AYP approach to bhakti and ishta, see main lesson #67. http://www.aypsite.org/67.html
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  09:16:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator Note: This post has been moved here from "Other Systems of Spiritual Practice," as this is the thread it is responding to.

Hari Om
~~~~~~~
Hello Yogani,
Thanks for your response on this item. At first glance, one would think the Jyotisha is choosing the Ishta, but this is not the case.
As of late Jyotisha's could be considered general practitioners.
The jotishas that are of great value are the ones from a long line
of Jyotish pundits.
Please be aware that the Jyotish recognizes the ishta in ones chart by specific calculations and by the direction of rishis ( Parashara and Jaimini - enlightened beings of this great knowledge).
So , there is no roll of the dice here. This great knowledge has been lost for years... Now a few are bringing this knowledge out.
We are not talking "Omar" that appears daily in the papers, but people that have studied this for a life time.
SO, I respect your disagreement , but do not concur with your assessment. I have no intent of trying to convert your opinion, but let me discuss the following points: There are over 20 divisional charts that deal with ones being on different levels - the physical level ( body,mind, etc) to ones Dharma, to ones past incarnations.
There are multiple dasa systems ( Or time periods) that deal with events coming to you ( Narayana Dasa) , how you interact with these events ( Vimshottari Dasa) , to the spiritual times of your life ( Drig Dasa) just to name a few.
My point is the Joytisha is there is assist with your selection, provide guidence and suggest that you are here (again) for a reason.

In conclusion - the properly trained person is there to assist and help; The Joytishi's I have been privileged to know look at ones chart for the individual's spiritual development - hence the help/guidance around ones Ishta which is clearly delineated in
ones D9 ( Navamsa also called Dharma pada) chart. Their is no choice by the joytisha - he takes no credit... only applying the rules handed down for thousands of years. His objective is to "see" the Ishta that supports ones spiritual advancement, as well as the Dharmadevata, all indicated by ones Atamakaraka ( or soul, jiva, significator).

As Jotytish is the science of light, and considered the eyes of the Ved.

Regards,
Frank in SD
Om Shanti shanti shanti
Go to Top of Page

sauravu

USA
22 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2005 :  2:15:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit sauravu's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with both yogani and Frank. Jyotisha as science is a lost hence imperfect art today in the age of kaliyiuga where all knowledge is tainted. My advice is to let the people experiment with spiritual dimensions given in jyotish but have an open/skeptical mind to the suggestions. Yogis can experiment with the Ishta devtaa as suggested but ultimately settle for their own (Ishta) god as desired.After all 330 million gods in Sanatan dharma and many more others . Variety enough for everyone to have the god of his/her desire
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000