Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 Does anyone have this book on Khechari?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

alwayson

Canada
288 Posts

Posted - May 11 2008 :  10:29:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Khecarividya of Adinatha by James Mallinson:

http://www.amazon.com/Khecarividya-...p/0415391156

Khecarimudra topic started here by the author (flying fakir):

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=1534

Thokar

USA
45 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  9:19:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thokar's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd really like to get that book but it looks a bit expensive.... Even the cheaper copies were 70+$ and amazon's copy was 150.00!
Go to Top of Page

flying fakir

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  10:03:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit flying fakir's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've just seen this after logging on to the AYP site for the first time in a while - I've been in India and far from a good web connection.

Yes, the book is prohibitively expensive - I'm sorry. I hadn't realised it would be quite so much when I agreed to have Routledge publish it. Funnily enough, I've just emailed them to ask when I can arrange for a cheaper edition to be published in India, but don't hold your breath I expect it will be quite some time.

All the best,

Jim
Go to Top of Page

sparkyfoxMD

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - May 17 2008 :  4:05:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit sparkyfoxMD's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have this book. Its quite intellectual- interesting historical and contextual information. Have to say I have learned more from Yoganis books the lessons and this board. Secrets of Wilder is essential reading and contains encouragement and sheer wonderment of the practice and devotion that is necessary on the spiritual path....this Khecarividya of Adinatha by James Mallinson is agood reference book. But thats all.
Go to Top of Page

flying fakir

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - May 19 2008 :  10:27:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit flying fakir's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sparkyfox,

Thanks for the praise and I agree with what you say - my book was never intended to be a how-to guide to khecarimudra, but an enquiry into its history and context. It is aimed primarily at scholars but also at anyone interested in yoga beyond its practical aspects. The work was driven by intellectual curiosity and fascination with the subject, as well as an ultimately vain need to justify to myself and others all the time I spend living with my guru and other yogins in India.

My practice has benefited from some parts of the text, particularly the visualisations, and also from the insights, both practical and theoretical, of some of the yogins I've met in India, but I wouldn't recommend the book to someone who simply wanted to learn the mechanics of the technique: as you say, Yogani's books and this forum do a better job of that.

All the best,

Jim
Go to Top of Page

alwayson

Canada
288 Posts

Posted - May 21 2008 :  7:39:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
flying fakir,

please try to get an edition for my homeland india
Go to Top of Page

alwayson

Canada
288 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  6:52:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I just got this book yesterday through interlibrary loan, and spent the whole day reading it.

It is an awesome book, with tons of practical advice. There are aspects of kechari mudra explained, that I have not read elsewhere.

Just one example, is that, you should consciously spit out any salty secretions for in actuality that is not amrita.

I have read other academic books about certain Buddist tantras, where the author-scholar forces himself to come up with certain new conclusions just for the sake of academics.

Mallinson does not do this, and lets the works speak for themselves.

I give it a 7 out of 5, for meeting and then handsomely exceeding my expectations.

The notes section in the back of the book contains much of the interesting material. I finally understand the secretive kaya-kalpa practice somewhat.
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  11:20:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hello everyone,

dear alwayson if what you said is true concerning spitting the salty secretions which i personaly find rather tasty and sweet than salty then that seems to contradicts with what is taught here.

cz if my memory serves me right it has been asked in the q&as in the lessons b4 by a practitioner that there was a good taste left in his mouth and it's usually swalowed.

wish you could light some things up concerning this matter at least cz i for person am swallowing that stuff and if it's unhealthy then i guess it's better to throw it out but would like to know the reason why and sadly enough the book is too damn expensive.

it's concidered as a salary for some people arround my country.

namaste,

Ananda
Go to Top of Page

alwayson

Canada
288 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  5:29:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
you are supposed to spit out only salty. KEEP sweet.
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2008 :  2:09:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i never met with salty b4, but if i did i will take the advice.

thx my friend.
Go to Top of Page

contemplative

USA
10 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  12:53:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit contemplative's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by alwayson

It is an awesome book, with tons of practical advice. There are aspects of kechari mudra explained, that I have not read elsewhere.

I give it a 7 out of 5, for meeting and then handsomely exceeding my expectations.

Thanks for the review.

I just ordered it. I'll post again when it arrives

Warm Regards
Ryan
Go to Top of Page

alwayson

Canada
288 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  1:03:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent!

Make sure you read the notes in the back of the book.

That is where some of the most interesting material is!
Go to Top of Page

divinefurball

USA
138 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  5:25:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello, I have just finished a first read of Prof. Mallinson's book, and am impressed by the scholarship, the contribution to Indic Studies, and the motivation to make - what might have been considered to be - an obsure text - available in English. Thank you Prof. Mallinson. That said, I must also second alwayson, in the observation that the notes are really an invaluable contibution, from which much can be gleened, and are further testimoney to Mallinson's patience and thouroughness. Whats more, from what I can see he has no sectarian ax to grind. Several citations from the notes were of great value to me in respect to some things I have had questions about and posted about recently, and I will add to those posts with the pertainent specifics, and appropriate references at some time. The translation itself, contains 'information' about Kundalini's movment through the chakras in relation to kechari which I have not seen before, that is both anthropologicly and spiritually significant.
I got it through inter-library loan - so many interested aypers should be able too as well.

thouartcat divinefurball
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2008 :  10:14:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
just a little add on to this post, you may concider it as an edit to my post.

there is stand alone salty secretion from time to time during khechari mudra.

light and love,

Ananda
Go to Top of Page

rtsvet

Germany
1 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  08:41:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit rtsvet's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi everybody,

I need page 215 and page 232 of Mallinson's Book

Could someone post it for me, PLS? (if you have a picture, scan or ...)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000