Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Missing Meditaion
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

UniversalMind

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  06:40:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit UniversalMind's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone,
I was wondering how much missing meditation would affect the whole process. I have read that you need to meditate on a regular basis to receive the full benefit. I have been meditating for around two years pretty solidly twice a day but in the last month i have only managed to squeeze in one a day with the odd day missed altogether. Will this undo most of my good work?

Good Luck and Keep Practicing

eputkonen

USA
43 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  09:14:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit eputkonen's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by UniversalMind
Will this undo most of my good work?

No.

As for 'how much missing meditation would affect the whole proces' - what process?

~ Eric Putkonen
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  09:17:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

I have been meditating for around two years pretty solidly twice a day but in the last month i have only managed to squeeze in one a day with the odd day missed altogether. Will this undo most of my good work?

Hi UniversalMind,
Trying to keep up the twice a day practice, even if it for just 5 min, is a good idea. Look at these lessons they give some helpful tips on how to fit your practice into a busy schedule.
Lesson 209 - Fitting daily practices into a busy schedule
Lesson 148 - Q&A – Why practices twice a day?

I don't think being irregular in your practice for a bit will really undo anything. At times, it's almost life's way to make you self pace. Go with what is, don't judge or analyze it too much. If possible try and do 5 min of meditation where ever you are.
In this post Yogani says:
Just remember that practices are not all or nothing. Honoring the habit is the first step. That takes a few minutes twice per day. We all have to eat. We all have to sleep. We all have to brush our teeth. And we all have to evolve... There is time enough in the day for all of these. Some guerrilla yoga tactics can help when we are living in the corporate jungle. See http://www.aypsite.org/209.html

Hope this helps. Wish you all the best.
Go to Top of Page

UniversalMind

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  6:15:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit UniversalMind's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi again,
Thanks for the replies! The process i was describing was the purification of the nervous system and i was wondering whether stopping your practice will undo, hinder or even reverse the purification that has already taken place. I may be wrong (probably am)but from what i have gathered you need to keep up your practice pretty constant to derive full benefit.

thanks again
Go to Top of Page

eputkonen

USA
43 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2008 :  09:21:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit eputkonen's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Stopping practice will not undo, hinder, or reverse any progress you made.

How do you know your nervous system needs purification?
To what ends is the nervous system being purified?

~ Eric Putkonen
Go to Top of Page

UniversalMind

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2008 :  6:04:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit UniversalMind's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Eputkonen

I believe that we need to purify the nervous system to move to a higher spiritual level. I think that all of the Yoga practices are designed for this purpose, without this change in consciousness there can be no enlightenment therefor we will unfortunately be stuck at this quite depressing animal level. The only other option i think is to wait for evolution but who's to say that the eventual outcome will be enlightenment! From what i gather from Krishnamurti lectures this isn't going to happen, so i will make my own effort for purification in this lifetime.
Go to Top of Page

eputkonen

USA
43 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2008 :  9:42:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit eputkonen's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If you even interested in enlightenment in this lifetime, you are purified enough already for enlightenment.

Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
Go to Top of Page

Divineis

Canada
420 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2008 :  12:43:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Hi Eputkonen

I believe that we need to purify the nervous system to move to a higher spiritual level.

I believe enlightenment is the end of all beliefs. To me, purifying the nervous system... it's just another desire, another belief in the way of enlightenment. Not that it's not a good practice to take on, I mean... there's a reason why I practice AYP stuff every day. I don't do it for nothing, but I do it for nothing... haha.

I've been reading a fair bit of Zen stuff lately. The path of "instant enlightenment". I find it interesting how there's basically... no "purifying" involved, that Zazen is basically just a way to exhaust the seeker. It's just a way to challenge the mind into seeing it's own nature.

I look at it this way, a "purified nervous system" is not needed. It helps, it definetly helps. It's sorta like taming the ego by satisfying the ego. Though it's definetly not needed. Once you know truth at every living second, it matters not how "ecstatic" you are. You can be angry, see truth in anger and still be just as enlightened, the only difference is on what level you hold on to this anger. It has nothing to do with eradicating the anger, with saying no to it, it's the opposite of that in fact, it's just a big "YES" to everything.

Sorta like my name... It's a good reminder for me, "Divine is". It's all inclusif, leaves nothing out, pure nervous system or not, it's all the same. I've taken habits that bug me a lot, like a distracted mind or whatever, maken those my "object of meditation" and have found just as much, if not more stillness than more "traditional" styles of meditation. An enlightened being, is just a being, a happening, a sort of stillness in action that see's the truth in it all.

There's one thing about my name though that I think can distract, the divine part, it's another label... this is Divine, this isn't. I mean, as soon as we define Divine, it takes away all meaning it has for me... or lack of meaning rather. Ecstatic conductivity... tis no more Divine than anything else.

It's kinda funny, any knowledgeable meditator will tell you, one day you'll have to transcend even the pleasures of a "purified nervous system". Which leaves you back at exactly where you started. That's the funny thing about Karmah, it works in cycles, it's like one big circle that goes around, and leaves you back at the beggining. Honestly, enlightenment, it's a big joke. Maybe you'll be "enlightened" one day, and trust me, you'll laugh at all the work you did... it's sorta like "haha, I've had it all this time", not that the work isn't needed, seeking is needed to exhaust the seeker, it's still one halarious joke though haha :).
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2008 :  03:18:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Divineis.. I'm sorry, since you mention your nick... Not having English as first language I haven't gotten it before you wrote it now. Swedish and German is closer to me, so I always read "eis" in the end = ice cream! And if you spell 'dive' a little wrong and drop the e... then we have a nickname that in my head is sounding something like: Dive in eis = Dive in ice cream!

And that is perhaps enlightenment... But I thought it would be only cream and honey...
Go to Top of Page

UniversalMind

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2008 :  06:16:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit UniversalMind's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi emc,
Interesting theory that Dive in eis is perhaps enlightenment, i am thinking of changing my I AM mantra to Dive in eis to see if i can get nearer that ice cream like bliss, maybe with some raspberry or chocolate on top!
Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - May 02 2008 :  08:53:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
UniversalMind: ...therefor we will unfortunately be stuck at this quite depressing animal level. The only other option i think is to wait for evolution but who's to say that the eventual outcome will be enlightenment!

So be like a whale and swallow/absorb the teachings of those who you consider to be the best example of who you want to be and when ready naturally pass from the whale, fish, crab, et al, until washed upon the shores of dry land and experience/evolve into the mineral, plant, animal or visa versa.

The only limitations that we have are those we place on ourselves. So enlightenment for one person isn't to another. Everyone has role models regardless or what we personify as being a whole/perfect human being.

VIL

Edited by - VIL on May 02 2008 09:14:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - May 02 2008 :  10:04:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi

It is so easy to forget that the sacredness - "what is" - that we surrender to through meditation is not something that disappears when we are not conscious of it. It is always here. It is always ready for us. We are sincere in our approach - i.e we devote our time and attention in order to be more receptive to it (as you know there are many approaches; but I find deep meditation to be very simple and profound)........And AYP also teaches the self-pacing which is so crucial in order to stay balanced and let the body catch up. The sacredness cannot be hurried towards. But if we aspire.....then it will come towards us.

I never think of enlightenment......because it makes it sound like it is something we achieve......something that become ours ....something that we can grasp and do what we want with. But it doesn't work like that. It is not ours for the taking.

It is a given fact.
It is grace.

It is a surrender to the sacredness within. Within everything. Again and again i am drawn towards it. It is a constant pull and my heart wants nothing else than to be one with it.

It has taken many years of practise to feel this way. For years there were so many other things that pulled my attention.....so many other "more important" things to do.....so many sweet temptations that life put forward. All these drop....one after another. And every time one drop - the pull towards the sacredness increases. And thus the receptivity to it also increases. This is what I call purification. The ability to assimilate (and it does indeed involve the whole nervoussystem) - to a greater and greater extent - that which is greater than us....that which is sacred....that which is love.

That which is our Source.

UnviversalMind:
Your practise cannot be undone. No time spent in sincere practise is ever wasted.

If you can't find the time to practise twice a day, then once a day is immensly better than not at all

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000