Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Siddhis
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Divineis

Canada
420 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2008 :  3:11:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
If you had the choice, what super-power would you want.

Me personally, i've always found ice-man from x-men freaking cool. If I had super ice powers, that would be awesome. I'd never drink a room temperature drink ever again. I could probably combat the forces of evil also :) haha.

So... given the choice, what would it be?

Suryakant

USA
259 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2008 :  4:37:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Why would anyone desire the power to manipulate transient, impermanent illusions? Siddhis are glittering grains of imaginary sand slipping through one's fingers.
Go to Top of Page

tadeas

Czech Republic
314 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2008 :  5:02:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Suryakant: Well I guess because that which is permanent and intransient cannot be manipulated? :D LOL
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2008 :  5:39:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It's hard to even imagine "possessing" such an ability. I'm not sure that real siddhis are actually available to the illusionary individual.

My favorite is the story of Lahiri Mahasaya's disciple, Pranabananda. After his mahasamadhi, when the container that held his body was opened, all that were found were flowers.
Go to Top of Page

Suryakant

USA
259 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2008 :  5:49:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Everything is impermanent, except the love of God.
- Neem Karoli Baba
Go to Top of Page

Divineis

Canada
420 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2008 :  6:59:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, that's cool and all, no need to take this transient impermanent illusion too seriously, so what'll it be, flying? Super fire shooting powers? Invisibility?
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2008 :  7:51:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Healing.
Go to Top of Page

Black Rebel Radio

USA
98 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2008 :  8:37:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Black Rebel Radio's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Flying for sure.

Healing for sure.

I was a comic and super-hero fiend growing up. Loved the X-Men and Teen Titans but identified with the non-super power characters like Batman and Wolverine.

Shape-shifting would be cool too!

Mac
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2008 :  8:47:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I always liked "Jedis" so moving something with my hand would be fun.:)
Go to Top of Page

Black Rebel Radio

USA
98 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2008 :  8:50:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Black Rebel Radio's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"These are not the droids you are looking for."

That would be one that might take us off the path....

Heheh.

I saw this on a website about the 64 siddhis. I would love to have all of the service siddhis.

"The 64 Siddhis actually explain a great deal of contradictions to seekers on the spiritual path. Many great oriental masters repeatedly warn against the cultivation of siddhis (I use the traditional term with a small 's'), whereas western spirituality has a long tradition of manifesting miracles. The 24th Siddhi for example is Silence. A master manifesting this Siddhi will teach through Silence. There are other Siddhis such as the 46th and 30th, Ecstasy and Rapture, which seekers might recognise in the poetry of sages like Rumi or the music of Hildgard von Bingen. You will also notice many service-based Siddhis, such as the 37th, the 27th and the 19th - Tenderness, Selflessness and Sacrifice, which again lead to external manifestations of what is essentially the same experience."

Edited by - Black Rebel Radio on Apr 09 2008 8:58:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2008 :  10:18:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Well, what I would like to do and have often dreamt I was doing, is to be able to breathe under water. I don't know if that is a proper siddhi or not?

But you know what Jimi Hendrix said about that one....

"....And they also said it's impossible for a man to live and breathe under
water, forever,
was their main complaint
And they also threw this in my face, they said:
Anyway, you know good and well it would be beyond the will of God,
and the grace of the King (grace of the King)
(Yeah, yeah)...."
Go to Top of Page

Divineis

Canada
420 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2008 :  11:40:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Balance, something I just came across sorta relating Jimi with Siddhi's and the spiritual realm and such.

I just did a project on King Crimson. One of the founders of the band is quite into spirituality, speaks of a 3 part system for musicians, merging the hands, heart and mind. Or the technical, meditative and conscious aspects he brings to music.

Supposodly in many eastern countries, they spiritually prepare music students before they even touch their instruments, since it's such a powerful force to wield. A force he (king crimson founder) noted Jimi Hendrix not being able to fully master, resulting in his death.

I thought it was a really interesting view on it.

I really dig this spirituality\music stuff :), seeing that I'm a music student, hoping to make a career out of doing what I love :). I reckon a more realistic siddhi I'd like to take on, is the sharing of heart, through music. Sharing what I love :).

John Coltrane's definetly another guy really noted for his spiritual dimension in music. They even started a Coltrane religion after he died hahah. I think he's more of the Zen guy, his music doesn't say much, no lyrics, but... it says it all :) haha.
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  01:49:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

King Crimson, another one of my old favorites. Interesting theory about Hendrix.
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  03:14:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Divineis, i was going to say that illusion stuff but hey we're having fun here and what the heck if a guy can have some siddhis on the way it's all good.

So put me up for one of those knowledge of it all siddhis: questions, past, present, future, everything.

And there is a guy here in my country who has smthg similar to this, his name is Michel Hayek google him up if u like.

Namaste :)

Ananda
Go to Top of Page

Maximus

India
187 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  05:15:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Maximus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If there is a siddhi that makes one a chick magnet, do subscribe me for it.
Go to Top of Page

thimus

53 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  05:23:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit thimus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There was a poor monk who was jealous about his more fortunate monks with their little previleges. He left and searched for magical powers. After a long time and a lot of hard work he attained his magical powers and his master asked him what he wanted to do. He went invisible to the old monastery in the morning to watch the monks. When he saw them early in the morning suffering, not being so happy at all, he went back. And he said : “I dont want the magical powers no longer”.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  05:26:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Maximus, i think that one may be the easiest. Just do your tantra practices and conserve your sex energy.
Personally, I would like the siddhi of making a friend of an enemy or of peacefully disarming a potential threat. the siddhi to help difficult people understand my deeper intent
Go to Top of Page

Echo

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  05:56:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Echo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Maximus

If there is a siddhi that makes one a chick magnet, do subscribe me for it.

I've always had that one...........such a burden!

Go to Top of Page

Black Rebel Radio

USA
98 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  06:11:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Black Rebel Radio's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Devineis said-
"I just did a project on King Crimson. One of the founders of the band is quite into spirituality, speaks of a 3 part system for musicians, merging the hands, heart and mind. Or the technical, meditative and conscious aspects he brings to music."

I love King Crimson, you must be talking about Robert Fripp.
Did you see Children of Men? It blew me away when they played "In The Court of The Crimson King."

Divineis said-
"I really dig this spirituality\music stuff :), seeing that I'm a music student, hoping to make a career out of doing what I love :). I reckon a more realistic siddhi I'd like to take on, is the sharing of heart, through music. Sharing what I love :). "

I think that when you love something..with that aching kind of love..THAT will filter in and down and through whatever you create..and will naturally inspire and move others as it transmits truth.

Cheers
Mac
Go to Top of Page

scottfitzgerald

USA
65 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  08:21:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd like to have the siddhi of being in two places at one time. It would really help when there is a soccer game over here, and a softball game over there, and a sleepover happening over yonder, and a dinner date around the corner...you get the picture.

Plus, I could go to work AND sit home and watch South Park all day.
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  12:22:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
All hail southpark :D.
Go to Top of Page

Divineis

Canada
420 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  3:12:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
ahahaha yeah, south park, with it's gloryness of equal judgement across all planes of existence haha :).

and yup, it was robert fripp.

Here's a kickass website if you wanna learn more about him and the band:

http://www.progressiveears.com/frip...contents.htm

Edited by - Divineis on Apr 10 2008 3:50:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

sushman

India
86 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2008 :  12:21:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit sushman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Being content - which would eliminate the need for anything else in this world.
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2008 :  1:51:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
To heal and grant peace with a look or a touch...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000