AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Cosmic Samyama
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2008 :  3:54:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi, Yogani.

I have a few simple questions about this practice.

The stated postion for this technique is lying supine with hands on the solar plexus and the head propped up by a pillow or two.

Why is this? What is the advantage? I don't know if I over looked it in the book or not.

Can I achieve the same result lying in simple savasana?

Should it be the finger tips that are resting on the solar plexus?

Thanks much, yb.

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2008 :  4:29:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi YB:

Any reclined or semi-reclined position will be good for practicing Cosmic Samyama. Hand position is not crucial. Savasana (corpse pose) is okay too. The key is comfort, which helps facilitate the practice.

In contrast, in deep meditation and regular "core" samyama, sitting comfortably upright helps facilitate these practices. Cosmic samyama has the element of yoga nidra (yogic sleep) in it, while deep meditation and core samyama do not, though there certainly can be some overlaps in experience.

Cosmic samyama can be performed right after our sitting practices routine, while we are reclined in rest mode. It can also be done at bedtime by itself, if it does not disrupt sleep. Whether it disrupts sleep or not will depend on the purification and opening that may be occurring in the nervous system. Self-pace as needed.

Cosmic samyama dynamically expands self-awareness to our cosmic dimensions as an ongoing experience in daily life. I happened to listen to the Jill Taylor talk today (excellent!) and she gives a pretty good description of it as experienced during her stroke: http://www.microclesia.com/?p=320
Yes, we can be expanded cosmically like that all the time, even while fulfilling our responsibilities -- a marriage of right and left brain, as she might call it. It has many practical advantages.

As is the case with core samyama, inner silence is the prerequisite for effective cosmic samyama. Even just a little abiding stillness from deep meditation will go a long way with samyama, and everything else too.

As with all yoga practices, daily practice over the long term yields the best results.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2008 :  6:45:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great. Thanks, Yogani.

Best, yb.
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  7:02:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, Yogani, that was an awesome video. She speaks my language. Wow! Thanks again, yb.

P.S. Neurologically speaking, according to her, we could say that we are letting go of our left brain into our right brain in all of our practices of self inquiry, samyama and meditation.

Fascinating example.

Edited by - yogibear on Apr 02 2008 07:29:56 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000