Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Samyama - self-pacing?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Echo

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2008 :  2:47:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Echo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message

My practice has been pretty stable for a while now, but I did have to cut back about a month ago due to headaches, pressure in the throat, anxiety and a feeling of “trippyness”.

I find it incredible that not only have I found a system that actually works, but one that works so well that you actually have to cut back!

I would like to add Samyama to my practice and would like to know if it requires self pacing – in the same way as the “Shakti” type practices.

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2008 :  2:56:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Samyama is a very powerful practice, and it is recommended to self-pace whenever you feel the need. When I started samyama I had to cut back several times and had a quite long period of clunky practices before I could settle with the nine sutras one repetition.

If you have just been forced to cut back a month ago it might be much too early! Have you tried to take those "baby steps" back to normal practice again after the cut back, to see if you can get stable again? Before you have done that and felt stable in that "normal mode" whatever that was for a couple of months, I would not recommend starting samyama.
Go to Top of Page

Echo

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2008 :  5:56:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Echo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by emc

Samyama is a very powerful practice, and it is recommended to self-pace whenever you feel the need. When I started samyama I had to cut back several times and had a quite long period of clunky practices before I could settle with the nine sutras one repetition.

If you have just been forced to cut back a month ago it might be much too early! Have you tried to take those "baby steps" back to normal practice again after the cut back, to see if you can get stable again? Before you have done that and felt stable in that "normal mode" whatever that was for a couple of months, I would not recommend starting samyama.

Hi Emc - thank you for your reply. I've not tried to get back to the practice as it was when I had to cut back. I had started doing Yoni Mudra and it was too much for me. I think it will be a while before I go back to it. I thought that perhaps the Samyama would be a better next step.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2008 :  9:44:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Echo,
If you have some inner silence (which is a prerequisite for samyama to work), go ahead and try it. You know the rules of self pacing and once you start samyama, you will know if you are ready for this practice. Start off with the practice as described in Lesson 150 - Samyama practice.
Yogani said in this post:
quote:
Originally posted by yogani
In the AYP lessons, the practices are put more or less in the order of influence and importance. But there can be some shuffling according to individual need. For example, samyama can be moved up the list with good effect. Other things are best left in the order given for undertaking them, like deep meditation, spinal breathing, and the mantra enhancements.

So go ahead and give it a try. If you are not ready for it you will know.. and you can scale back as required. There are many posts on how to self pace samyama at the forum.. you can look those up if required... or post here and we can help you.

Here's wishing you a smooth transition into samyama.

PS: Look up the Yoga FAQs on Samyama for some links to lessons and forum posts that may help.

Edited by - Shanti on Mar 07 2008 9:53:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

Echo

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2008 :  02:52:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Echo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

Hi Echo,
If you have some inner silence (which is a prerequisite for samyama to work), go ahead and try it. You know the rules of self pacing and once you start samyama, you will know if you are ready for this practice. Start off with the practice as described in Lesson 150 - Samyama practice.
Yogani said in this post:
quote:
Originally posted by yogani
In the AYP lessons, the practices are put more or less in the order of influence and importance. But there can be some shuffling according to individual need. For example, samyama can be moved up the list with good effect. Other things are best left in the order given for undertaking them, like deep meditation, spinal breathing, and the mantra enhancements.

So go ahead and give it a try. If you are not ready for it you will know.. and you can scale back as required. There are many posts on how to self pace samyama at the forum.. you can look those up if required... or post here and we can help you.

Here's wishing you a smooth transition into samyama.

PS: Look up the Yoga FAQs on Samyama for some links to lessons and forum posts that may help.

Hi Shanti,

Funny, but I saw that post by yogani after I posted this thread.

I think that I will start with one repitition of each sutra to begin with and see how it goes. My wife recently began with two reps each but cut back to one after a couple of days, hence my question.

I'm looking forward to trying it out this morning!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000