Yoga, Career and Money
 Help me choose between 2 offers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

insideout

USA
44 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2008 :  2:03:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit insideout's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I'm currently employed as an actuarial analyst for a pension consulting firm. The work is a bit boring (accounting stuff) and including travel time it takes up 55-60 hrs/wk. If any of you are familiar with the actuarial career, you will know that I'm also studying my butt off for exams, which takes another 15-20 hrs/wk during exam season.

I recently received 2 offers, here is a break down:

1. Life insurance - Product design analyst
Pros:
* Total time ~45 hrs/wk including travel time.
* Creative work
* Lots of programming, which I enjoy
* Relaxed culture, family feel when I interviewed there
Cons:
* Slight pay cut (-$1,800/yr) but bigger bonus so it's a wash
* No rotation program between different actuarial departments (annuities, reserving, investments)

2. Property and Casualty (P&C) Insurance - Home Insurance Pricing Analyst
Pros:
* Mega Co., lots of room for growth
* P&C has the highest job satisfaction out of all of the actuarial fields
* Pay raise (+ 5%)
* Good rotation program, rotate every 1.5 years between depts
* Creative and more mathematical work
Cons:
* 60+ hrs/wk because of travel time (extreme commute, 3.5+ hrs/day)
* Business culture
* Strict exam policy, if you don't pass you get a notice of termination
* Greater number of and more difficult exams

If you had to choose between the 2, which one would you go with?

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2008 :  2:15:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I would choose No.1
Time is too valuable, 45 hours including travel give a lot more time for meditation and stuff
Creative work, good for spiritual parctice

But that's just my point of view, I don't know anything about you
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2008 :  3:29:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed with Sparkle. A job would have to offer me a huge amount to have me choose an extra 10-20 hours per week.

One or two non-yogic points:

* Mega Co., lots of room for growth

Often large companies offer worse pay in the long run, particularly in technical fields. That's surprising but true.

* P&C has the highest job satisfaction out of all of the actuarial fields

This deserves some weight but not too much. A difference you can determine between the two different jobs you are offered may be more imporant than the difference between the two fields. You mentioned that you like programming, for example, and the first job offers lots of it.

Go to Top of Page

Hunter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2008 :  4:09:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hunter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
If you had to choose between the 2, which one would you go with?

If I had to choose I would go with number 1 based mainly on the amount of hours worked per week. At the top of my priority list is precious and genuine time spent with family and friends, so I would not want to decrease that through increased work hours.

But I actually know nothing about your line of work, so maybe I would answer differently if I did know more.

P.S. This is fun. I love learning about what you guys do for a living.
Go to Top of Page

insideout

USA
44 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2008 :  01:00:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit insideout's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I chose #1. It turns out they have a great exam support program and they are very good to their employees. This way I'll have more time for practices, family, friends, and hobbies.

Thank you all for your input.
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2008 :  09:01:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats insideout
All the best on your new journey, it sounds like you have chosen wisely
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000