Healthcare - Holistic and Modern
 Anorexia help needed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2008 :  12:42:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi
We have a very close friend whose daughter is 16 and has anorexia. Her BMI (body mass index) is 12.5, it should be about 21.
She is only 6 stone in weight, is self harming, but has indicated she wants to get better.
She has been in councelling for a year, with no apparent change. She is also now trying Thought Field Therapy. Only two sessions with this so difficult to tell if it is working yet.

Have spoken to the parents about the possibility of using meditation and they are reasonably open to it - only because they are desperate.

Has anyone any experience of meditation and anorexia and if so how do you think the AYP methods would work?

Any other comments would also be gratefully received.
Thanks

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2008 :  12:55:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think meditation does help solve the internal issues which create problems such as anorexia. It might work for her, although looking at it as THE cure would be wrong. Regardless - I wish your friend luck in helping his daughter.
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2008 :  1:02:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Scott
Yes, I was thinking of it more as a support to the other therapies, and perhaps an ongoing practice to help in the long term.

Forgot to mention my thoughts about the obvious fasting that is going on and how this might affect altered states etc if meditation was used.
One concern I had was that she might be inclined to go into a trance or start kundalini or something. My own experience of a 6 day fast was that it heightened energy experiences and altered states greatly.
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2008 :  4:37:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sparkle

I am just wondering.....is she in therapy right now? Is she speaking to someone on a regular basis? Someone other than before...someone that deals directly with exposing the gap between her self image and herself?

Because....if she isn't; then what comes out during and after meditation.......she will need help with it. Who will consistantly be with her to "take notes"?

Her condition is very, very stubborn....the twist inside her.....it will take serious, consistant, long term work to induce the needed shift in her. If she has been in counseling for a year without any appearant result - then she needs another therapist. NOW.

Also: Is there anything....anything at all...that she is actually truly enjoying in life? If there is....enlarge it....have her enjoy it more often.

Do not leave her alone.
Her parents might need a break....she might need a break.. ..are there not any good treatment clinics in Ireland? She might benefit from staying away from home. Not alone, mind you, but away from her ususal setting.

Please keep in mind that these are mere suggestions.....

Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2008 :  4:49:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just a note also from the physical side... Therapies that work very well here in Sweden use a combination of inner and outer changes. When the body is in such extreme condition it becomes self-perpetuating. In order not to suffer from low body temperature, many anorexias move a lot, exercise or walk a lot. It is both a way for them to "keep thin" but also a natural response from the body to get warmer and more comfortable. So what they do is to heat up rooms where they can just lay down and relax, to help the body find balance again. Perhaps meditation/relaxation in a warm and very cozy setting would be optimal?
Go to Top of Page

matangi

USA
53 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2008 :  9:16:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit matangi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sparkle,

Both anorexia and self-harming (cutting?) have powerfully addictive components that can be tough to break through. While a part of this young lady may genuinely want to get better, I'm suspect of her anorexic/self-harming parts. I agree with Katrine - she needs different help NOW. If there are any good treatment centers in Ireland she may really need this level of treatment now. (I have some experience working with anorexia in teens but it was in a residential treatment center.)

I do not support AYP methods for her right now. Her ego strength is weak and deep meditation may further compromise her at this point. While it's unclear for this teen, many teens experience dissociative states either prior to cutting - and they cut to ground - or they use the cutting for dissociating.

She certainly needs very close supervision. Is the family/teen working with someone knowledgable and experienced with treating anorexia in teens?

Perhaps the parents of the teen may benefit from learning some deep meditation, if they are open to it at all. The stress of dealing with anorexia can certainly take its toll. The healing process is a family affair.

My best to you and your friends.

-m

Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2008 :  11:30:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Katrine, emc and matangi

I took on board what you said and made further enquiries.

quote:
Katrine said: Her condition is very, very stubborn....the twist inside her.....it will take serious, consistant, long term work to induce the needed shift in her. If she has been in counseling for a year without any appearant result - then she needs another therapist. NOW.
When discussed further with the mother today she said the amount eaten has not increased and the weight is the same, sometimes decreasing.
But: Emotionally she seems to have improved a little over the past couple of weeks.
There has been no self-harming (cutting)
She is talking more positively about wanting to get better - this is up and down, some good days some bad, but in general it is improving.
She has admitted to lying to her mother about her food intake, in the past couple of days and does not want to do this any more.

This seems to have coincided with the Thought Field Therapy (which I think is the same as EFT, discussed on the forum)

quote:
Do not leave her alone.
Her parents might need a break....she might need a break.. ..are there not any good treatment clinics in Ireland? She might benefit from staying away from home. Not alone, mind you, but away from her ususal setting.
The mother has been advised to give up her job for a month or so, to be there as a support for her, I think she is going to do this from next week.

quote:
Also: Is there anything....anything at all...that she is actually truly enjoying in life? If there is....enlarge it....have her enjoy it more often.
She loves school and in particular art. She is a very good student and even with the anorexa gets good results academically, she is quite tallented at art. She is encouraged as much as possible but has limited strength and endurance now to do anything.

quote:
matangi said: Both anorexia and self-harming (cutting?) have powerfully addictive components that can be tough to break through. While a part of this young lady may genuinely want to get better, I'm suspect of her anorexic/self-harming parts. I agree with Katrine - she needs different help NOW. If there are any good treatment centers in Ireland she may really need this level of treatment now. (I have some experience working with anorexia in teens but it was in a residential treatment center.)

There are residential centres in Ireland but they have been advised to try and resolve it at home first as this is much more preferable in the long term.

quote:
I do not support AYP methods for her right now. Her ego strength is weak and deep meditation may further compromise her at this point. While it's unclear for this teen, many teens experience dissociative states either prior to cutting - and they cut to ground - or they use the cutting for dissociating.
That's very good to know matangi - thank you- I will not risk this.

Apparently there are some meditation techniques that might help, do you know of any?

quote:
emc said: Just a note also from the physical side... Therapies that work very well here in Sweden use a combination of inner and outer changes. When the body is in such extreme condition it becomes self-perpetuating. In order not to suffer from low body temperature, many anorexias move a lot, exercise or walk a lot. It is both a way for them to "keep thin" but also a natural response from the body to get warmer and more comfortable. So what they do is to heat up rooms where they can just lay down and relax, to help the body find balance again. Perhaps meditation/relaxation in a warm and very cozy setting would be optimal?
Thanks emc, yes apparently she drinks a lot of weak tea, the mother thinks to keep warm.
If we do get round to some sort of meditation or relaxation technique the very warm room sound good.

It seems that although there is no apparent change in the physical condition her emotional state is showing signs of improving.
Perhaps the new approach of the TFT is helping.
When discussing all this with her mother this afternoon it seemed to put things a little into perspective for her, so that is good.

I would be grateful for anyone to include Sarah in your Samyama, it seems she may be on the cusp of something, hopefully it will work out.
Thanks again
Louis
Go to Top of Page

Nancy

USA
71 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2008 :  6:46:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nancy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sparkle
I can send her distant healing power, I need her name if you would like for me to attempt it. I cannot guarantee that her higher self will accept and allow me to send the healing, I always ask and do what the higher self says, even if she personally says yes please, and the higher self says no, then it's no....
Prayers to her and her family
Go to Top of Page

clk1710

92 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2008 :  5:16:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi Sparkle, i feel for this girl.
above all else, i highly recommend Overeaters Anonymous (don't let the name deceive you) for any eating issues including anorexia, bulimia, overeating, etc. it's a wonderful program that is a spiritual (and mental and emotional) program of recovery which is very complementary to AYP. most people find Overeaters Anonymous when they've tried everything else to no avail. there are meetings around the world so i wouldn't be surprised if there are some in Ireland. feel free to email me if you want further info. good luck and i'll say a prayer for her. :-)
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2008 :  04:00:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sparkle,
I have sent a Love empowerment to this girl to last for 1 month.Hope this helps.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2008 :  3:35:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Nancy
Thank you very much for the offer, it would be very much appreciated if you sent come healing. As you say, if you leave it to her own higher self then the healing will not be forced.
Have you seen how we apply samyama healing on the forum?
The girls name is Sarah.

Clk. thank you for that info, I will investigate to see if there is a local Overeaters Anonymous and pass it on

Thanks very much Dave, much appreciated

At present Sarah is trying hard but still finding it very difficult to increase weight. She puts on a few pound and then gets scared again of putting on too much weight.

Blessings
Louis
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2008 :  10:52:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Sparkle

Hi
We have a very close friend whose daughter is 16 and has anorexia. Her BMI (body mass index) is 12.5, it should be about 21.
She is only 6 stone in weight, is self harming, but has indicated she wants to get better.
She has been in councelling for a year, with no apparent change. She is also now trying Thought Field Therapy. Only two sessions with this so difficult to tell if it is working yet.

Have spoken to the parents about the possibility of using meditation and they are reasonably open to it - only because they are desperate.

Has anyone any experience of meditation and anorexia and if so how do you think the AYP methods would work?

Any other comments would also be gratefully received.
Thanks

Hi Sparkle
I asked Jesus about how to cure Sarah, and this is the vision that I saw. First, Jesus moved his hands in circles and produced a small girl whom he held in his hands and then demonstrated how she floated.
Next, Jesus moved his hands and an object appeared that, at first, I thought to be a snowmobile but it was vertical. It had two protrusions on the sides that looked like skis. As I watched, the skis more closely resembled an 'H'. It looked like some kind of rocket ship with antenaes on each side. |-^-| He put the girl inside it.
Then Jesus grabbed the protrusions, started pumping them and the white figure of a girl on the inside started expanding like a balloon.
That was it.

I think the machine is a hyperbaric pressure machine.

What altitude does Sarah live at?

Has Sarah been on any plane rides since the problem began?

I hope this helps or might give someone a new perspective on the problem.

I will send prayers and healing for Sarah.

TI

Edited by - Tibetan_Ice on Mar 31 2008 12:31:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

Nancy

USA
71 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2008 :  12:02:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nancy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sparkle
I will send her healing with love as well as brighten her aura. I just saw holes in her aura - fear & excitement can create holes on your aura or if a person is extremely receptive. You can probably relate her actions to when she does well - then she experiences fear - a possibility is the break in her aura - ikt's like a doorway for any emotion to take over.
I will let you know, what her shigherself says and would love feedback. I am honored to be able to service another human life in this capacity, and am grateful for the trust you have instilled in me.
You will see why one cannot help to be in awe - as the results are immediate.
I want to offer a suggestion, when I communicate back with you, if I have received permission and sent the healing....
I would only ask Sarah how she's doing - or inquire with her family as how she is doing, after - I tell you I sent the healing. The reason I am suggesting this is mainly because when a person is very low receptive wise and uncertain of their truth and their minds are fogged more than cleared, and we share this information with them prior - they admit to healing and feeling stronger - as well as it becomes immediately obvious to a person close to Sarah - then what happens is a slight positive transformation process begins - healing begins - as well as mental clarity - then we begin to question this change... Oh no, it cant be true I am unworthy... it's all in my head. I knew that I was being blessed or I knew someone was sending me healing powers - the Love and healing sent didnt work - I just made it up... then poof - back to square one - at this stage of such low self worth - it's easier for Sarah to get a feeling of being right from a negative feeling than a positive one - so needing to feel - we use our survival skills and we will choose feeling right - not realizing how much more negative energy we just allowed to enter our space and intoxicate our body...

Also... about how samyama works - I had breezed over it before - but only to familiarize myself with all the "new language" on this forum. However, Thank You for bringing it up and to my attention, as I realize that the time has come for me to now learn it...

Live With Passion & Purpose
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2008 :  05:08:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
TI said:Hi Sparkle
I asked Jesus about how to cure Sarah, and this is the vision that I saw. First, Jesus moved his hands in circles and produced a small girl whom he held in his hands and then demonstrated how she floated.
Next, Jesus moved his hands and an object appeared that, at first, I thought to be a snowmobile but it was vertical. It had two protrusions on the sides that looked like skis. As I watched, the skis more closely resembled an 'H'. It looked like some kind of rocket ship with antenaes on each side. |-^-| He put the girl inside it.
Then Jesus grabbed the protrusions, started pumping them and the white figure of a girl on the inside started expanding like a balloon.
That was it.

I think the machine is a hyperbaric pressure machine.

What altitude does Sarah live at?

Has Sarah been on any plane rides since the problem began?

I hope this helps or might give someone a new perspective on the problem.

I will send prayers and healing for Sarah.
Hi TI, I want to thank for having the courage to post such a vision. It sounds like the sort of thing that many of us experience but not have the guts to share openly.
It doesn't ring any bells, she lives near the sea probably a couple of hundred feet above sea level. She has been on a few plane rides, usually once a year for holidays. Nevertheless I will enquire about a possible connection with a flight or similar pressure situation.

What is more prevalent for your post is that it gave me an insight about Sarah's healing process. This is related to the fact that people around the family can see clearly the connections between Sarah and the family dynamics. Pleople who know them are not entirely surprised by the situation.
So the insight was that Sarah's healing is not only a healing for herself but for the whole family. This means that in Sarah being healed, she is also taking on the healing of the family.
This is a hugh burden for her to carry (unknowingly) and will make the healing much more difficult.
I can say this to the parents and explain it in such a way that makes it clear that Sarah should not have to take all the burden of the healing process, that everybody needs to take responsability.

It is worth saying, even if it doesn't sink in immediately.
So TI, even though your vision didn't immediately offer a solution, it gave me an important insight about the healing process, thank you

Hi Nancy
quote:
I will let you know, what her shigherself says and would love feedback. I am honored to be able to service another human life in this capacity, and am grateful for the trust you have instilled in me.
You will see why one cannot help to be in awe - as the results are immediate.
I want to offer a suggestion, when I communicate back with you, if I have received permission and sent the healing....
I would only ask Sarah how she's doing - or inquire with her family as how she is doing, after - I tell you I sent the healing.

I am honoured that you would choose to help my friend like this, thank you.
What you say about the power of the mind in these things makes a lot of sense. I will honour your wishes in this regard

Blessings
Louis

Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2008 :  11:17:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Sparkle
Hi TI, I want to thank for having the courage to post such a vision. It sounds like the sort of thing that many of us experience but not have the guts to share openly.
It doesn't ring any bells, she lives near the sea probably a couple of hundred feet above sea level. She has been on a few plane rides, usually once a year for holidays. Nevertheless I will enquire about a possible connection with a flight or similar pressure situation.

Hi Louis,
You know, when I got that vision I thought to myself "oh boy, this doesn't make any sense to me.. a hyperbaric chamber?". I only report what I see. The hard part is the interpretation and the faith. Today, I did some searches on Google and this is what I found:

quote:
Abstract:
Hyperbaric oxygen was given to a patient with anorexia nervosa who had developed postoperative ileus, resulting in not only improvement in ileus, but also enhancement of intestinal movement, inducing the feeling of hunger, and thereby increasing food ingestion. Hyperbaric oxygen may be effective as an initial treatment for anorectic patients showing severe bloating and resistance to food ingestion.
(Internal Medicine 40: 635-637, 2001)

Here is the link:
http://www.journalarchive.jst.go.jp...tartpage=635

This surprised me. I had no idea that hyperbaric treatment could be used for anorexia and related problems.

Actually, there are many links on Google that say that there are benefits to using oxygen therapy. Here is another:
http://www.ams.ubc.ca/clubs/aims/pd...ter_v4i2.pdf

TI
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2008 :  2:36:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi TI
That's amazing TI, but then again why should we be surprised
Did some searching and found one in Dublin
http://www.hyperbaricireland.com/breakingnews.htm

Have emailed them for information, will keep you posted.
Louis
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000