Healthcare - Holistic and Modern
 Antidepressant, meditation, amaroli
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gentlep

USA
114 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2008 :  12:59:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I am in sort of a depression because of life situation. My two daughters, 3 and 1 year old have some unknown neurological condition where they are slowly losing their ability. My elder one is completely stiff and can't move and is being fed through a nasal tube. My younger one is heading towards that. There is no diagnosis and so the stress of their care and at the same time family tensions makes it hard to function.

I haven't been meditating regularly since beginning of the year as I have too much mental chatter during meditation which causes depression soon after. I found amaroli to be helpful, washing the face and drinking when I am too disturbed.

What do people think about antidepressants. Does anyone have any experience with it or maybe it's too personal question? How does antidepressants interfere with amaroli and meditation?

Nirodha

New Zealand
86 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2008 :  1:58:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nirodha's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi gentlep,

I'm sorry you're going through such a difficult time.

As for antidepressants: I've been taking one (Citalopram) for years now, because I was diagnosed with Major Depression (reoccurrant) about 15 years ago. And, I had more than 3 episodes of it within 6 months. Therefore I was advised to stay on medication, for life, so as to prevent further episodes.

I don't find that Citalopram interferes with my meditation at all. I achieve Samadhi with ease and dwell in it at least 3 times per day; so there's definitely no interference going on. However, I'm taking the lowest dosage (20 mg) just as a preventative.

Kind regards

Edited by - Nirodha on Feb 21 2008 1:13:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2008 :  5:14:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am truly sorry about your daughters!
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2008 :  10:51:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So sorry to hear about your troubles, gentlep. Their magnitude is stunning.

I have used SSRI's before: (these include Zoloft, Paxil, and Prozac), and they never interfered with my meditation to any extent.
Go to Top of Page

scottfitzgerald

USA
65 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2008 :  08:16:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, it never ceases to amaze me the challenges we can be given in this life. My prayers go out to you as well.

As far as antidepressants, never been an issue getting in the way for me. I think I'm a lifer with them as well.

Big love

s
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2008 :  12:26:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If anything, i should thing that anti-depressants HELP your meditation. Can you even imagine what kind of hell it would be like to try to meditate when you were depressed? It's a no brainer to me.

Just in case you are ambivalent about taking them, remember that aside from possible side-effects (which pass anyway) it is perfectly safe to continue to take them your whole life, if need be. It is recommended by psychology and psychiatry.
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2008 :  6:10:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Very sorry to hear of this situation. Nothing is worse than when something happens to one's children.
I had moderate depression about three different times during my life (years apart). The first two times I worked out the situations myself and felt stronger after. This last time was about four years ago when my then twenty year old son was diagnosed with a very serious illness. I was very depressed but I still had to function well enough to take care of myself and my son and hold down a stressful job. So for the first time I took an antidepressant (Lexapro) for about two months until I felt things were stable enough that I could come off it. Lexapro is one of the newer SSRIs and contrary to what the literature and most docs say it acts rather quickly, sometimes within just a couple of days, that really helped.
I'm glad I took the antidepressant during that time. I still meditated. It didn't interfere with any of that. The only thing that bugged me was I gained a few pounds. I can't address the amaroli part. You could read the medical info regarding how the a specific drug is metabolized and that might give you an idea if amaroli would be ok.
If I may suggest, it seems to me that your priority is not specifically meditation and amaroli, but what actions to take that will be the most stabilizing and supportive of your very demanding task of caring for sick children, caring for yourself, and maintaining your household and environment. Perhaps your first priority would be to do whatever helps you to do all these overwhelming tasks. Of course I'm stating what you already know.
In my case at the time, the best choice was to take the antidepressant. It was a quick decision for me even though I usually avoid all medications.
Good luck to you and prayers for your children, please take good care of yourself.

[Note: It's very very important to taper off most antidepressants when choosing to stop taking them.]
Go to Top of Page

brushjw

USA
191 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2008 :  10:25:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit brushjw's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
gentlep, blessings, love and support to you in your time of need.

What you are feeling is perfectly normal and healthy. Depression is a natural part of the grief cycle. Denial, anger etc. which lead to despair. It is in the very giving up of hope that new concepts of reality can be formed. Not allowing yourself to feel these emotions - short-circuiting the natural process - will delay the healing. Over time, with enough denial, we can create our own personal hell. I speak from experience.
quote:
...it seems to me that your priority is not specifically meditation and amaroli, but what actions to take that will be the most stabilizing and supportive of your very demanding task of caring for sick children, caring for yourself, and maintaining your household and environment."

Wise advice. Your situation is extraordinarily difficult and I suggest you get help from professionals. Antidepressants are one of many options. You may also find relief in sharing your struggles with a therapist, or join a support group. Here is some more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grief

In my experience antidepressants do not stop me from feeling strong emotions but rather serve as a base from which I can act to improve my physical, mental and spiritual health. Without the medication I would fall below the base and not be able to get out of bed, perform my job, exercise, communicate with friends or, yes, meditate.

A couple of years after I began meditating I had to deal with some issues that left me unable to formally practice. Meditaton became an ordeal. I went back to what has served me from the beginning of my path - bringing my mind off my troubles and being fully present. Over and over again, dozens of times a day, every day. Only now, a year later, am I able to again sit in formal meditation.

Please remember that you're not in this alone. Unconditional love is freely offered by the universe and is yours for the asking. You've made a good start by posting here.

aum namaste,
Joe
Go to Top of Page

gentlep

USA
114 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  01:48:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. It might to helpful for those not practicing amaroli to know that it helped me a lot in these trying time. I started it three months ago. At the same time I learned my younger daughter is affected with similar condition and my elder one was becoming more and more miserable. I felt heaviness on my chest every morning and it was very hard to have enough courage and get myself up from the bed in the morning. But after waking up, doing amaroli, kechari and some silence used to help me a lot. But lately the circumstances are testing my limits of tolerance I guess. As all western diagnosis and treatment options failed, I sent them to India in the hope of alternate treatment. But unfortunately it worked against me so far. My elder daughter became seriously ill with pneumonia and was in ICU for almost a month. Now a days I panic when the phone rings for it might bring some bad news from india. Also it's very hard to get up in the morning. Hard to know that I am still alive to see another day. I thought with all my meditation practice I have achieved some inner peace to be able to cope of with life's challenges but the life has proven me wrong. I still feel like amaroli is helping me keep whatever little mental balance I still have. I often do it couple of times a day and it helps take some heaviness off of my chest and help me from panicking. So I want to continue that. I was averse to taking any medication but probably it's time I get some help.
Go to Top of Page

hopeless meditator

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  03:39:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit hopeless meditator's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am very sorry to hear of your daughters' illness. Is there any way you could get a 2nd opinion as to the cause of their condition. Has genetic screening taken place? Perhaps if you could get a correct diagnosis, there may be some way forward.

I've been reading a book by a person from the Tamil Siddha tradition. He recommends amaroli, herbs and other natural medications. But I don't know where you would find a practitioner of this kind outside India.

Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  05:15:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi gentlep, my heart goes out to you in your difficult times.

Have you tried samyama?, it can be very helpful and can be applied to many things, including stressful situations.
Go to Top of Page

thibaud05

France
86 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  8:19:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

I haven't been meditating regularly since beginning of the year as I have too much mental chatter during meditation which causes depression soon after. I found amaroli to be helpful, washing the face and drinking when I am too disturbed.

Hi gentlep,
I haven't meditated for many months because I too was plagued with
depression. Are you male or female ? I happen to be male and what got me out of depression is a prostate stimulator device called "aneros".
I've only used it a couple of times so far but it has already worked wonders, allowing me to release tension in the root and navel area, and helping me a great deal to get accustomed to the functionning of that lower region (perineum, anus and prostate). My reasoning was that favoring the path towards non ejaculatory multiple orgasm would be something really effective to fight depression.

Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2008 :  08:08:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Peace be with you, gentlep.
Go to Top of Page

hopeless meditator

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2008 :  1:40:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit hopeless meditator's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
gentlep, please could you state whether your children are losing sensory input, e.g. are they becoming gradually blind or deaf? Do you have any Centre of Excellence near you where they could be referred?

Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2008 :  2:44:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
gentlep, my prayers go out to you and your family:

VIL
Go to Top of Page

gentlep

USA
114 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2008 :  3:11:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by hopeless meditator

gentlep, please could you state whether your children are losing sensory input, e.g. are they becoming gradually blind or deaf? Do you have any Centre of Excellence near you where they could be referred?

Their sensory input has not been affected yet. Rather I feel they are sharp in that aspect. With my elder one, as she has lost all her muscle control, she expresses herself with her eyes only and she has very expressive eyes.

Here are their pics from last year:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLa...omshare&Ux=0

What is center of excellence? They are currently in India trying some ayurvedic medicines.

Edited by - gentlep on Feb 28 2008 3:33:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

sushman

India
86 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  1:29:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit sushman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
They are both very cute.

I sincerly wish that they both recover very soon.
My heart and prayers go out to them.

What kind of treatment are they undergoing?

Edited by - sushman on Mar 01 2008 1:50:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2008 :  10:21:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2009 :  2:05:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All,

I got some real sad news this morning. Hamsa (Gentlep's older daughter that he was talking about in this topic) passed away in September last year. She was up for healing next weekend, and I send Gentlep a reminder, and was really sad to hear about Hamsa.

Gentlep has requested that his younger daughter Varsha, who is suffering from this same mysterious condition be put on the list in place of Hamsa. Other than our group healing, we could maybe send some personal prayers healing for Varsha and peace for Hamsa's soul (please look at the link above for pictures of the two children).

I am really sorry for your loss and the hard times you are going through Gentlep. You and your family will be in my prayers. I will include Varsha in my healing and prayers. My prayers are also with Hamsa.

_/\_
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2009 :  2:48:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i am very sorry to hear this, my heart and prayers are with you and your family my brother.

words offer little in your situation, what you're going through is more than hell itself.

god give you strength you and your wife and Varsha.

thk you for the update and for letting us know about this Shanti.

much love,

Ananda
Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2009 :  12:22:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Really sorry to hear of your loss and the harrowing times you are going through, Gentlep. My sincere prayers for you.

Krish
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2009 :  03:06:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to hear about your loss Gentlep. My prayers and my heart are with both your daughters.
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2009 :  04:48:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Gentlep - I am so sorry.....

May she be at peace now. Will remember all of you in Samyama.

Om shanti Om
Go to Top of Page

Lacinato

USA
98 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  8:16:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lacinato's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What beautiful children, how sad. I am so glad he asked for samyama here.
Go to Top of Page

markern

Norway
171 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2009 :  10:57:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit markern's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So sorry to hear about your daughters and your depression. I just want to strongly recomend six healing sounds and inner smile (michael winn just google him). They both realy help with all aspects of mental health. Healing sounds especialy with cleansing out the bad feelings.

There are some good herbal stuff that can be taken for depression. Consult an ayurvedic or chineese doctor to get you the right coctail. Accupunture can also help.

How about getting distance healing for you and your daughters from Chunyu Lin. He is a renowned qigong master and extreemly powerfull healer with a great reputation.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000