AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Spontaneous pranayama during pranayama
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lookatmynavelnow

52 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2008 :  1:17:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
When kundalini is doing its thing, the body may do spontaneous things like mudras, breathing patterns etc. Some classic yogic practises use these mudras or pranayama exercises for purifying reasons. In my case, there is a breating pattern that occurs from time to time when Kundalini is active in meditation, lately also during spinal breathing.
It consists of rapid and shallow breaths of about 5 breaths per second, sometimes (rarely) up to 12 breaths per second.
Do any of you yogis know if there is a pranayama exercise that involves this pattern, and what it is used for?

yogani

USA
5196 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2008 :  2:21:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi LAMNN:

It is bastrika pranayama (bellows breathing, also spelled bhastrika), and it is covered here with a particular AYP twist, i.e., "spinal" bastrika pranayama:

http://www.aypsite.org/171.html
(and in the next two lessons)

And also here for use in a more "targeted" way:

http://www.aypsite.org/198.html
(and in the next lesson)

Bastrika can occur during practices as an "automatic yoga," as you have described. It is the nervous system cleansing itself, which it is sometimes inclined to do more dramatically as inner silence and inner energy movements are coming up. Be mindful not to overdo. Check lessons with suggestions on how to handle "automatic yoga" in the topic index: http://www.aypsite.org/TopicIndex.html

All the best!

The guru is in you
Go to Top of Page

Lookatmynavelnow

52 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2008 :  8:32:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogani
Bastrika can occur during practices as an "automatic yoga,"

I read all your links, thanks for the info.

When this happens I guess I should pay attention to what physical area is stimulated so that I get the message my body is trying to communicate. That will then be the right area to consciously work with when (if) doing intentional bastrika pranayama?
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5196 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2008 :  8:59:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi LAMNN:

No, automatic yoga is not necessarily a good indicator of where we should be focusing our practices. It is better to regard automatic yoga like any other experience that comes up, and easily favor our normal practices. This is the advice given in the lessons on automatic yoga.

Otherwise, we can find ourselves being dragged from pillar to post by such symptoms of purification and opening. The nervous system is very good at purifying itself when stimulated appropriately, but it is not very good at telling us what is best for us to being doing in practices to stimulate that over all process. If we follow automatic yoga intentionally, it will have us overdoing almost every time. We don't favor automatic yoga, and we don't fight it either when it occurs during the normal course of practices. If it becomes extreme, we self-pace accordingly during our session.

Appropriate stimulation for ongoing long term purification and opening is what the wonderful invention of yoga is for, which took a lot of trial and error to derive over the centuries.

That is why we always favor the practice over the experience, with self-pacing at the fore, of course.

When it comes time to do some intentional tarketed bastrika, you will know it according to your need, and not the need of automatic yoga. It is a subtle point, but an important one.

All the best!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Lookatmynavelnow

52 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  11:16:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

No, automatic yoga is not necessarily a good indicator of where we should be focusing our practices.

I have no more questions about this. Thanks for the info!

A curious detail just for your information: Sometimes (rarely) the fast breathing has an interesting pattern; two in breaths followed by one out breath. And regardless of the frequency, the automatic bastrika pranayama almost always ends in yawing.

Just filling in some details.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000