Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Pressure / lump in throat?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Echo

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  06:46:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Echo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have another question. About a week or so ago, during the evening meditation, I began to feel tired and that the meditation was not going well. Then my head went forward, as in Jalandhara. After about maybe 10 -15 seconds, I raised my head, and felt what was like a lump stuck on the right hand side of my throat.

Now maybe it’s just a coincidence, but it is still there. It’s not painful, it just feels strange, but sometimes seems to reach down into my chest.

I expect it’s come up before, but if you do a search on “throat”, you get 8 pages of posts! So, do you think this is just another of those “it’s just prana purifying your system” scenarios?

Or maybe I anciently swallowed a fly?

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  10:30:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Echo

quote:
I expect it’s come up before, but if you do a search on “throat”, you get 8 pages of posts! So, do you think this is just another of those “it’s just prana purifying your system” scenarios?

Throat and neck blockages (which this sounds like) are very common everybody gets them from time to time nothing to worry about usually, just carry on doing the practices and it should clear.

You might like to try Lesson 139 - Dynamic Jalandhara its a very good for getting past neck block but gently at first its a very powerful practice and can easily send you over the top and definitely don't do it if you think there is any strain there.

On the other hand we do all tend to put everything that happens down to purification and blockages clearing so if the problem persists and especially if it gets worse go see a doc just in case its something physical.

On the other hand perhaps you did swallow a fly
Go to Top of Page

Echo

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  10:40:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Echo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Richard

Hi Echo

quote:

Throat and neck blockages (which this sounds like) are very common everybody gets them from time to time nothing to worry about usually, just carry on doing the practices and it should clear.

You might like to try Lesson 139 - Dynamic Jalandhara its a very good for getting past neck block but gently at first its a very powerful practice and can easily send you over the top and definitely don't do it if you think there is any strain there.

On the other hand we do all tend to put everything that happens down to purification and blockages clearing so if the problem persists and especially if it gets worse go see a doc just in case its something physical.

On the other hand perhaps you did swallow a fly

Hi Richard,

Thanks you for the reply. I'll check out the lesson on Dynamic Jalandhara. If that dose not work I suppose I could try swallowing a spider....................
Go to Top of Page

Echo

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  2:11:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Echo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I tried adding Dynamic Jalandhara to my practice this evening. I had to stop after a couple of rounds. It felt like my tongue was burning!...............interesting.
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  2:47:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I tried adding Dynamic Jalandhara to my practice this evening. I had to stop after a couple of rounds. It felt like my tongue was burning!...............interesting.

Yes interesting sounds like it definitely could be a block there, maybe best to just stick to normal practices and see if it clears on its own, don't overdo it you may even need to cut back a bit.
Go to Top of Page

Echo

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  11:01:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Echo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, it seems to have helped. It's still there but much reduced, so maybe it did help after all. I think that I'll leave it out of my practice for now though!
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  2:51:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Actually, it seems to have helped. It's still there but much reduced, so maybe it did help after all. I think that I'll leave it out of my practice for now though!

Glad I was able to help its a good idea to just go back to the practices you were doing before though and add new things bit by bit always remember to self pace.

Edited by - Richard on Jan 30 2008 2:54:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5196 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  11:38:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Echo

Hi Echo:

You might try doing a couple of rotations of chin pump (dynamic jalandhara) each day without breath retention ("chin pump lite"). The idea is to continue with the purification process without overdoing -- finding your balance in practice. It does not have to be all or nothing.

Obviously it works for you. It is only a matter of scaling the practice for comfort. That is self-pacing.

All the best!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Echo

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  12:24:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Echo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

quote:

Hi Echo:

You might try doing a couple of rotations of chin pump (dynamic jalandhara) each day without breath retention ("chin pump lite"). The idea is to continue with the purification process without overdoing -- finding your balance in practice. It does not have to be all or nothing.

Obviously it works for you. It is only a matter of scaling the practice for comfort. That is self-pacing.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Hi Yogani,

The pressure, though I can still feel it a little, has almost gone now. I’m pretty sure it was some sort of block as the pranayama seems to going a lot easier now.

I’m just starting to get over the clunky phase of Yoni Mudra Kumbhaka, so am a little reluctant to add anything new just yet!
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5196 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  12:54:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

The pressure, though I can still feel it a little, has almost gone now. I’m pretty sure it was some sort of block as the pranayama seems to going a lot easier now.

I’m just starting to get over the clunky phase of Yoni Mudra Kumbhaka, so am a little reluctant to add anything new just yet!

Hi Echo:

Glad to hear things are smoothing out in the throat area.

Yoni mudra kumbhaka is a big step, and you are wise to give it plenty of time to stabilize. Even after it is stable, ongoing self-pacing will be necessary, because it is a strong energy stimulator, especially when integrated with other practices in the routine.

Industrial strength yoga that won't fly out of control. What we have always wanted, yes?

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Echo

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  2:09:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Echo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

Hi Echo:

Glad to hear things are smoothing out in the throat area.

Yoni mudra kumbhaka is a big step, and you are wise to give it plenty of time to stabilize. Even after it is stable, ongoing self-pacing will be necessary, because it is a strong energy stimulator, especially when integrated with other practices in the routine.

Industrial strength yoga that won't fly out of control. What we have always wanted, yes?

The guru is in you.

I agree with you about Yoni Mudra Kumbhaka being “Industrial strength yoga”! I’m only doing two rounds at the mo – and that is plenty.

I have found that it certainly makes a difference to the meditation afterwards. I can’t imagine doing 5 or more! Lol. Maybe this time next year………….

Edited by - Echo on Feb 05 2008 3:47:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

Echo

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2008 :  2:46:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Echo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Man, I really don’t know what is going on here! The lump /pressure feeling is back, so this evening I tried the chin pump again, as it seemed to help last time. This time I managed 3 rounds before my tongue got too “hot”. Afterwards, during the meditation, first my cheeks seemed to take on a life of their own moving around and pulling faces. Then my throat felt like it was moving around and started ticking!

I don’t know if it is connected with my practice or not. The feeling seems centred on the right side of my throat, but not in or on it, and feels connected to my ear, and down into my chest – to about 3” above my nipple.

I don’t think I have been over doing the practice – my mood is good and apart from this strange throat thing I feel fine.

Go to Top of Page

Ute

39 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2008 :  2:57:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ute's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

I have another question. About a week or so ago, during the evening meditation, I began to feel tired and that the meditation was not going well. Then my head went forward, as in Jalandhara. After about maybe 10 -15 seconds, I raised my head, and felt what was like a lump stuck on the right hand side of my throat.

Now maybe it’s just a coincidence, but it is still there. It’s not painful, it just feels strange, but sometimes seems to reach down into my chest.

Or maybe I anciently swallowed a fly?

Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2008 :  3:00:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Echo this sounds like Automatic Yoga so have a look at the highlighted link if you find this too scary or disturbing you definitely need to cut back a bit but there really is nothing to worry about it will ease with time you are experiencing a lot of of automatic Yoga because a strong purification is going on

Edited by - Richard on Feb 06 2008 7:20:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

Echo

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2008 :  3:33:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Echo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Richard. I don’t find it disturbing or anything, it’s just that I’m not sure what the cause is, if it is just part of the normal process, and if it will go away eventually!

Whatever it is, the chin pump seems to help, so maybe I'll keep it in my practice for a while. I actually quite like it and don't fnd it too clunky, just a bit hot on the tongue.

Go to Top of Page

tadeas

Czech Republic
314 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  4:27:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
How's it going, Echo?

I've had the same problem for some time now, but haven't tried chin pump, yet. For me it comes up mainly in the morning after waking up and then during sittings. It's also combined with a slight sorethroat or maybe something like "heartburn", but not exactly that. It feels like there's something I should swallow, but it doesn't go away after swallowing.
My tongue also wants to go into kechari, but it's not in stage 2 yet. Could be somehow related?

We'll see :)
Go to Top of Page

Echo

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  5:09:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Echo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by tadeas

How's it going, Echo?

I've had the same problem for some time now, but haven't tried chin pump, yet. For me it comes up mainly in the morning after waking up and then during sittings. It's also combined with a slight sorethroat or maybe something like "heartburn", but not exactly that. It feels like there's something I should swallow, but it doesn't go away after swallowing.
My tongue also wants to go into kechari, but it's not in stage 2 yet. Could be somehow related?

We'll see :)

Well, a funny thing happened a while ago. I was all chirpy and singing to myself, just about to get into a nice bath. Suddenly, for no reason, I began to remember a period when I was having a really really hard time. I was under a lot of stress and emotional pressure. I hadn’t realized till then just how bad it was. In fact there were times when I was so upset that I couldn’t speak – in fact I was choked. I then remembered other similar times when I was “choked”. Needless to say that a lot of emotional release happened.

Anyway, the “lump in throat” syndrome seems to be better now thanks!

I don’t know if your problem could be similar. Maybe it is your tongue stretching back making your throat sore? I dropped both the chin pump and the yoni mudra. I think the yoni mudra made it worse, but then at least it now seems to have been dealt with.

Go to Top of Page

scottfitzgerald

USA
65 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  9:45:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have experienced the same thing with my throat in the past. I found it be something that I either had decided/felt I couldn't handle (couldn't swallow) or it was a clamped down cry...if you have ever experienced that burning in the throat that can precede a hard cry, that point before your body and emotions give into the guttural wail, that is how it felt to me. Many of the blockages I have dealt with flittered away after a really good cry.

I have also found camel pose and fish pose to help open the area of my throat.

Side note--during serious hard crying was when I really had my first glimspe of the witness.

Edited by - scottfitzgerald on Apr 03 2008 10:21:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Echo

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  03:00:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Echo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Scott,

Thank you for your input. I’m glad I’m not the only one!

I just wanted to add how much I appreciated your post in the “Where am I now” thread.

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=3691#32005

That seems to be exactly where I am now – getting results, wanting to go faster, going too fast! My latest problem is headaches that last all week. After reading your post, I realised that I had unintentionally started to become more and more aggressive with my practice. I think it is something that can creep up on one. So, anyway, I have gone back to being as gentle as I can during practice, without cutting back as such. The headache is now receding. That post of yours should be a sticky!
Go to Top of Page

Apkallu

France
108 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2015 :  11:37:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

Practicing Asanas, Pranayama, DM, Samyama since 1is of January 2015
Started amaroli 3 weeks ago and Mulabandha/Shambavi Mudra

One month ago, I felt like a pressure on the throat, not painful at all but just like a force field circling it... happened only one time.
Humming sometimes but not on my own...
Last time, I felt something really strange : when swallowing, I could not feel anything at all. I mean like my throat disappeared. I did swallow for sure but could not feel my throat nor the swallowing effect !!!
And this was like my nose, sinuses were secreting something weird I cannot describe

Many other things not related to the throat but affecting my face, ears, etc.

For the moment, I dare not to include the chin pump or additional practices, but if you have any idea, feel free to comment

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000