Brahmamuhurta
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2008 :  08:30:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi John,

Are you conscious or unconscious in this turiya? I enjoyed reading your post.

My favorite Karma Yogi is Swami Vivekannda.

Best, yb.
Go to Top of Page

x.j.

304 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  12:50:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit x.j.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogi Bear.
What I refer to as turiya is no perception and no sense of observing anything.

As far as yoni mudra at 4 or 5 AM, I haven't seen any positive responses from anybody out there. And retreats is another area that are a great adjunct, a very beautiful stimulus to your yoga practice, to be kind to yourself that way and come to know your heart.

Think about experimenting with diet folks. Patanjali said that diet was fundamental to yoga development.
John

Edited by - x.j. on Jan 29 2008 10:49:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  2:35:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by John C

Hi Yogi Bear.
What I refer to as turiya is no perception and no sense of observing anything.

As far as yoni mudra at 4 or 5 AM, I haven't seen any positive responses from anybody out there. Where's your sense of experimentation?

And doesn't seem to me any interest in karma yoga out there in AYP land. Really, that would invigorate your practice so much. If anybody needs a great job for karma yoga, how about being a nurses assistant in a nursing home? There;s always positions available, and the opportunity to help people is immense.

And retreats is another area that nobody comments on here. I would think that would be a very beautiful stimulus to your yoga practice, to be kind to yourself that way and come to know your heart.

Maybe if it's not core curriculum with AYP it doesn't interest you?

Think about experimenting with diet folks. Patanjali said that diet was fundamental to yoga development. Not the reverse.

John

Hiya John,

I wanted to mention to you, that I did try yoni mudra at around 4 am and experienced a yellow ring the size of a marble and a small indigo blue ball the size of a pea. It was my first real and lasting experience of the third eye. I also saw a white dot, sporadically. But the yellow ring and indigo ball were observed for a few minutes without moving or changing shape.

It took a few minutes of relaxing into the corpse pose. My eyes began to roll inward slightly, occasionally drifting to the tip of my nose, and then they were pulled upwards. They spasmed and then like a light switch just relaxed completely still. The darkness seemed like an open space, and then a yellow ring came into my perception. I observed this for a few minutes and it disappeared, after which a the indigo ball came into my view, and I observed that for time.

Your reports and discussions on the subject compelled me to explore the third eye more, considering that I was having a lot of symptoms (eyes rolling up, forehead clenching, energy coursing through the brain). I laid down with the intention of relaxing into what I could detect, and had this new and exciting experience. This occurred about a week or so ago.

Thank you for you contributions on this subject, to the energy you bring.

Edited by - Kyman on Jan 27 2008 2:48:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

x.j.

304 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  9:32:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit x.j.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Kyman,
Thanks for your kind note, and I am excited about the wonderful new experience that you discovered too! I just wanted someone to try this and you came to my rescue. And your observations are important to me to confirm that this early hour is a great time. Even though the yogis record that it is, the fact it works well for you too is much appreciated. And am excited to hear what you report.

Otherwise I feel that I was impulsive in my last note talking about retreats, diet and service. Even if those are a conviction I personally feel, yet I kind of regret spouting off.

I yearn to know if other folks experience similar effects, because that validates an observation. Like the stars in the sky. and the vortex. Maybe the stars in the sky effect is the stars in the crown.

thanks kyman.
John
Go to Top of Page

Hunter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  10:39:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hunter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi John,
I just wanted to let you know that plenty of people are probably interested in discussing the subjects you bring up like diet, service, and retreats. I think the biggest reason no one is responding right now is because this forum (and all internet forums in general) has it's own cycles very similar to a restaurant. People come in waves. The forum may just be in a slow spot as far as traffic is concerned.

Until it warms up again:

Retreats: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=1416

Diet: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=42 and http://www.aypsite.org/TopicIndex.html Scroll down to diet.

Karma Yoga: A natural happening coming from rising stillness and carrying that into every daily activity and every waking moment.
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=23
Go to Top of Page

Guy_51

USA
170 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  10:52:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Guy_51's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi John:
Impulsive yes, spouting off, well since you've brought it up, yes again. Let me ask you a question John C. Is it just my imagination or are my perceptions accurate? Which are, almost everytime you post it's with a little dig toward either AYP or Yogani. Just asking,
Not that you can't, just wondering why you feel the need. Or am I off base? By the way, if you take the time and read the lessons you'll see there's mucho written about Karma Yoga, Diet, Retreats, and Service. Just one voice from "AYP Land" John, As much as I enjoy your input on the forum, I have to say I often find your style somewhere between abrasive and rude, in that you seem to imply that those who follow AYP only do it to the "core curriculum." to the exclusion of all else. I think that's unfair. Did somebody here do something to offend you, or are you just grumpy all the time? I welcome your reply.
Guy

Edited by - Guy_51 on Jan 27 2008 10:54:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

x.j.

304 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2008 :  12:41:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit x.j.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
you take my breath away, robert james. I have been real stubborn, but I finally get the message about the need for some self pacing. I never thought I'd need to admit it, but I finally see that I too need to apply the rule of self pacing. So I get the message that I have been resisting for a long time, and will lay off very intensive practices for a while. You were right all along. I was wrong.
john

Edited by - x.j. on Jan 28 2008 05:18:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

Guy_51

USA
170 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2008 :  08:33:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Guy_51's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi John:
I apologize for the "grumpy" remark and would rather focus on all your great contributions to the forum. There's no doubt you have tons to offer to all of us and I for one certainly look forward to more of your sharing in the future. It's funny how you remind me of me. Yes, self-pacing when needed is sooo important. I wish you all the best.
Love
Guy
Go to Top of Page

Guy_51

USA
170 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2008 :  08:36:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Guy_51's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.aypsite.org/107.html
Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  09:32:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, John, I agree with what Hunter said, since I got side tracked with investigating temporal lobe seizures. But I really enjoyed your post also:

Anyway, I've been investigating the new science of neurotheology or the correlation of spiritual experiences with scientific research, since I was feeling pressure above the ears (temporal lobe area) and vibrations extending to the lips.

I was fascinated to find out that some researchers suspect that the Prophet Muhammad, Ezekiel, Moses, St. Paul and it goes on and on, may have had temporal lobe seizures. Gopi Krishna also seems to have had similar symptoms. I thought of my experiences and you with the humming sound of AUM.

Although I've never have had seizures or any type of mental illness, as I'm sure you haven't, nor have the Prophets/Sages, I definitely feel that there is a connection with this part of the brain with various states of spiritual experiences. People experience vibrations, loss of Self, humming sounds, etc., and I think this may be one missing link to our neurobiolocical/higher spiritual pathways.
They've actually done experiments with a Budhist monk and Nun and found that this area of the brain was activated during meditative/prayer states. Very interesting.

Researches feel that this may be a genetic trait in people. In other words, faith may be something inherited, as well as other experiences. This makes sense from all of the Biblical references to Abraham's seed being blessed through his blood line. Was there a genetic trait, within the temporal lobe area, inherent that he passed on to future generations?

It's also interesting to note that the Zohar specifically mentions this secret connection of experience associated with Keter (or the Crown). That one experiences phenomenon above the ears (this is just one of many):

quote:
It is said in the ‘Book of Concealed Mystery’: That beard, the truth of all (truths), proceeds from the place of the ears, and descends around the mouth of the Holy One; and descends and ascends covering the place of fragrance (the cheeks); white with ornament and it descends in equilibrium and furnishes a covering even unto the midst of the breast.

http://www.eng.utah.edu/~spiegel/ka...ah/jkm05.htm

Anyway, I thought that this was really interesting and agree with Professor Dawkins, that it is the opening of a pathway or a sort of antenna through purification, which creates greater capacity and receptivity.

quote:
...He feels that brain circuitry like that Persinger and Newberg have identified, could amount to an antenna to make us receptive to god. Bishop Sykes meanwhile, thinks religion has nothing to fear from this neuroscience. Science is about seeking to explain the world around us. For him at least, it can co-exist with faith.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizo...nbrain.shtml

This is interesting:

http://www.e-epilepsy.org.uk/pages/...le.cfm?id=36

VIL

Edited by - VIL on Jan 29 2008 09:50:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2008 :  10:47:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
The gold circle begins forming on upper left, then starts breaking out otherwise, to form a circle of yellow light. There is a blue or black disc within the ring.

Just hit me: Have you seen what the new Internet Explorer symbol looks like? The symbol of global connection with everything and everyone... The Web tying it all together...
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2008 :  10:51:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

x.j.

304 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2008 :  04:00:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit x.j.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to belabor this subject probably to the point of being tedious, but it just occurred to me why 3 or 4 in the morning can be such a great time to meditate. The Stillness. After four hours of sleep, we are under the least control by egoic self, and more likely to enter the stillness at that time. But I realize Yogani has written that meditation at bedtime is not advised. That may be so, I can't say, because I have always meditated at bed time without ill effects. Many would say that bedtime is a very good time at which to meditate. In fact, to cultivate the Stillness at all times, 24/7.

Anyway, we are least under egoic control at 3 AM. That could be why the ancient authors recommend this time. Not such a great idea I realize for a working person with responsibilities. But I always don't remember to worry or to think about that at 3 or 4 AM. If yoga is too stimulating at this time, maybe skip the pranayamas and cut to the chase with just simply sitting, with the breath or with Ayam if you will. Or try the Lord's Prayer. Or go outside and look at the night sky. Or pet the cat. It's all the same. Spoken like a true insomniac. Hey, it';s only 1 AM.
Go to Top of Page

x.j.

304 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2008 :  04:10:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit x.j.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
And then after an hour, go back to bed and you'll sleep real well.
I doubt I have convinced any of you guys to try this! Anybody?
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2008 :  04:27:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi John
Since you started this thread I have tried it a few times. Usually if I have to get up for a pee, I might decide to meditate instead of going straight back to bed.
I do find it a great time to meditate, there is a different peace at that time.
On Sunday mornings I get up about 4.40am to do the East Distant Group Meditation. Yesterday I did this and remembered what you said about leaving the lights off. When doing yoni mudra kumbaka the third eye stuff was very clear and after the kumbaka the images came in so much stronger.
Sunday is a good day for me because I can crawl back into bed and have a nice sleep without thinking about work, hehe!

So thanks for the inspiration
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2008 :  7:44:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tallis,

quote:
Tallis wrote:

Your descriptions of swimming as midday yoga remind of Yesudian - from 'Sport and Yoga,' I think - in which he tells the story of trying to convince an English lady to practise yogic breathing, as a therapy for some ailment or other. Since the idea of sitting there and just well.. breathing seemed absurd to her, he had her go out and do lengths instead. Yesudian says swimming is the ideal yogic sport, since your breath can be completely regulated over inhalation, exhalation and kumbhaka too.

In America, the book is called Yoga and Health. It is my favorite Hatha Yoga book.

Here is the quote you were refering to:

"This wonderful system was used by my old master in my own case, because the daily practice of breathing control was so hard in the beginning. A number of my comrades were also very backward during their early training. Then Mohan Singh took us to the beach and taught us 'Yoga swimming'. After a month we could breathe better than the other pupils! Swimming, practiced simply, is the most perfect sport for breath regulation."

Best, yb.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000