New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

RSS

USA
69 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2014 :  05:35:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit RSS's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Has anyone looked at Satyananda's kriyas ("Kundalini Tantra" and "Systematic Coarse in Kriya …")?

Almost all of his kriyas go up the front channel (to the Bindu) and down the back as apposed to the Lahiri lineages (and AYP) that go up and down the spine with no work at all on the front channel. Perhaps this is Satyanandas way to clear out this channel prior to kundalini awaking.
Go to Top of Page

RSS

USA
69 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2014 :  05:44:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit RSS's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
One more thing. Here are some links to a few of Satyanandas kriyas that show this:

http://goldenagejourney.blogspot.co...kriya-4.html

http://goldenagejourney.blogspot.co...kriya-5.html

Here is the complete list of his 20 Kriyas:

http://goldenagejourney.blogspot.ca...-kriyas.html

Thanks to Manoj for putting this on his Blog and creating the videos.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2110 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2014 :  08:17:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Rss,

Yes.

My "finishing school" for this odyssey has indeed been to very gently, very cautiously, reverse the flow (inhale down to mulha, or even to the soles of my feet), no more than a couple breaths at a time, and not every day. You have to go really really slowly and delicately and quietly at this. No force AT ALL, just immense concentration and calm. And I believe it's important to wait until most of the blockage is gone (which means, in many cases, waiting years or even decades) before doing this. It's a fine sandpaper move, and I don't recommend it for people in the midst of grounding issues. I can see how it could be counter-productive.

If Satyananda and company have a well-developed regimen on this, I could imagine it being used earlier and more robustly, as part of that lineage/tradition and under supervision. But, working alone, not belonging to a tradition, AND sensing the scale of this "weaponry", my inner guru is very adamant about my taking it really really lightly.

There are things you encounter which you wish you'd found and used earlier. This is not one of those things. I think it's best that I'm using it late, after a really long time grinding away at the above-mentioned tactics.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Jan 14 2014 08:52:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2110 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2014 :  08:51:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by lalow33

Hi Jim,

I was doing too much because I had the belief that I needed to meditate at least a certain amount of minutes to get the inner silence. I realize how ridiculous this is. DUH! It's the most obvious thing in the world! How did I miss it?!

lalow33, that's great. Don't underestimate how significant this is...and how perfect your reaction is!

You'll experience that same "how did I miss this?" feeling over and over as you continue. I experience it frequently, myself. At least, on good days! :)

I meditated (not AYP) for DECADES thinking my job was to "go deep" and still my mind. I'd peacefully let thoughts drift by until they faded, but, often, I'd receive a deep, jarring mental alert. "Oh, crap, I left the windows open!" or somesuch. And I assumed (again, for decades!) that I needed to redo the meditation...clear the mind, settle in, etc. I thought my meditation had been spoiled by the thought; that I'd been brought back up out of the depths. Finally I realized that, of course, the only disruption was in my letting certain thoughts disrupt. The problem wasn't the thought, it was my reaction. And this was a total "duh", because I'd spent all those years learning to let thoughts sail by; I just didn't realize this meant ALL thoughts, bar none. I didn't understand just how wide a category "thought" was (indeed, over and over, my yoga journey has been about "geez, I didn't understand just how widely that applied!").

There is an epidemic of spiritual practitioners who believe they're crackerjack at this spirtual stuff. They know what they're doing. They're on the right track, and, really, it's just a matter of further polishing and refining their very capable spirtuality. They tend to get combative at the suggestion that they're deluded about anything. They need to feel "right". Their expectations, alas, are rock solid, and their assumptions (oh, but very SPIRITUAL assumptions!) are unshakable. It's a huge, huge hindrance. If you're not deeply resigned to your essential idiocy, this sure isn't the path for you!

Every glorious opening I've experienced in yoga brought with it a sharp acknowledge of what an idiot I'd previously been. In the beginning, this fueled my smugness, because I assumed that as my pockets of idiocy were revealed, I was becoming more and more "perfected". But, no, I keep finding more and more ways my perspective is stuck and narrowed and self-serving, and that insights which should stretch to Andromeda hardly make it past my own chin. So...I no longer feel like I'm an inch from some supposed finish line, requiring just a smidge more polish and refinement. I EXPECT my expectations and assumptions to be laughably off. And that expectation is super helpful for yoga.

We're all complete idiots, and yoga is the process that shows us this. So if you're not able to accept your own idiocy - even thirst for revelation of your own idiocy - then this is all really just a jerk-off. So this is long-winded congratulations! Cherish the realization of your own delusion and thickness! There's lots more of that to come! So go easy on expectations and self-direction (let go, let mantra!).

And, most of all, don't fall into the trap of thinking that these "aha!" flashes are forging some new, better, wiser you. There's a lot of mythology about yogic perfection (which has its roots in icky Brahmin classism, but that's another story). Here's an insight that's very seldom stated and almost completely missed by nearly everyone: you are deluded thickness through and through. There's no inner gem to polish. Everything that's specifically you is nothing more than fuzzy-headed clenching. That's what you are. That's who you are. Your body and mind are just a cheap, dull contraction (the good stuff never seems to come from you, right? Epiphany, inspiration, eurekas all seem to come from "out of nowhere"). Remove the fuzzy-headed clenching, and literally nothing remains. So the only thing to do is to let go, falling backwards into the vast What Is. Trust that you'll float. It's ok!

I realize I will offend some readers by my statement that "you are deluded thickness through and through". I get into trouble with that sort of statement here because folks want to feel smart and spiritually capable. Not me. I do yoga 'cuz I know for a fact that I'm a deluded idiot. And I get the feeling that you, like me, are inclined to welcome and cherish revelation of that same essential fact.

Most people do yoga to feel smart. A few do it to feel stupid. Welcome to the stupid pool!

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Jan 14 2014 1:39:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Anima

484 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2014 :  3:55:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, Jim!

Thanks for the warm welcome. And thanks for this wealth of honest reflection and experience.

Since I have some severe grounding issues, ongoing for a year now, Im going to look into some of this, like tai chi and herbs. I had a dear friend who did Yin style Bau Gua and is very skilled, living in Beijing. He always spoke of chi, which I discounted as superstition. Might this be a helpful practice, or are you familiar?

I also have reservations about spiritual smugness, or pretense of any sort. Maybe because no one can match mine? Im practiced in the tradition of skepticism and critique. Its so exhausting. But I feel what youre saying about "polishing." I met a guy recently who was completely assured of his path for the last two decades. I cant do that. Maybe thats okay and maybe its good, too.

If we speak of infinity, nothing is said. I like your notion of "thinning out." Lord knows I could stand some. We all end, but not in the way we think.

Love and Light

Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2014 :  6:02:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and His Karma

quote:
Originally posted by lalow33

Hi Jim,

I was doing too much because I had the belief that I needed to meditate at least a certain amount of minutes to get the inner silence. I realize how ridiculous this is. DUH! It's the most obvious thing in the world! How did I miss it?!

lalow33, that's great. Don't underestimate how significant this is...and how perfect your reaction is!

You'll experience that same "how did I miss this?" feeling over and over as you continue. I experience it frequently, myself. At least, on good days! :)

I meditated (not AYP) for DECADES thinking my job was to "go deep" and still my mind. I'd peacefully let thoughts drift by until they faded, but, often, I'd receive a deep, jarring mental alert. "Oh, crap, I left the windows open!" or somesuch. And I assumed (again, for decades!) that I needed to redo the meditation...clear the mind, settle in, etc. I thought my meditation had been spoiled by the thought; that I'd been brought back up out of the depths. Finally I realized that, of course, the only disruption was in my letting certain thoughts disrupt. The problem wasn't the thought, it was my reaction. And this was a total "duh", because I'd spent all those years learning to let thoughts sail by; I just didn't realize this meant ALL thoughts, bar none. I didn't understand just how wide a category "thought" was (indeed, over and over, my yoga journey has been about "geez, I didn't understand just how widely that applied!").

There is an epidemic of spiritual practitioners who believe they're crackerjack at this spirtual stuff. They know what they're doing. They're on the right track, and, really, it's just a matter of further polishing and refining their very capable spirtuality. They tend to get combative at the suggestion that they're deluded about anything. They need to feel "right". Their expectations, alas, are rock solid, and their assumptions (oh, but very SPIRITUAL assumptions!) are unshakable. It's a huge, huge hindrance. If you're not deeply resigned to your essential idiocy, this sure isn't the path for you!

Every glorious opening I've experienced in yoga brought with it a sharp acknowledge of what an idiot I'd previously been. In the beginning, this fueled my smugness, because I assumed that as my pockets of idiocy were revealed, I was becoming more and more "perfected". But, no, I keep finding more and more ways my perspective is stuck and narrowed and self-serving, and that insights which should stretch to Andromeda hardly make it past my own chin. So...I no longer feel like I'm an inch from some supposed finish line, requiring just a smidge more polish and refinement. I EXPECT my expectations and assumptions to be laughably off. And that expectation is super helpful for yoga.

We're all complete idiots, and yoga is the process that shows us this. So if you're not able to accept your own idiocy - even thirst for revelation of your own idiocy - then this is all really just a jerk-off. So this is long-winded congratulations! Cherish the realization of your own delusion and thickness! There's lots more of that to come! So go easy on expectations and self-direction (let go, let mantra!).

And, most of all, don't fall into the trap of thinking that these "aha!" flashes are forging some new, better, wiser you. There's a lot of mythology about yogic perfection (which has its roots in icky Brahmin classism, but that's another story). Here's an insight that's very seldom stated and almost completely missed by nearly everyone: you are deluded thickness through and through. There's no inner gem to polish. Everything that's specifically you is nothing more than fuzzy-headed clenching. That's what you are. That's who you are. Your body and mind are just a cheap, dull contraction (the good stuff never seems to come from you, right? Epiphany, inspiration, eurekas all seem to come from "out of nowhere"). Remove the fuzzy-headed clenching, and literally nothing remains. So the only thing to do is to let go, falling backwards into the vast What Is. Trust that you'll float. It's ok!

I realize I will offend some readers by my statement that "you are deluded thickness through and through". I get into trouble with that sort of statement here because folks want to feel smart and spiritually capable. Not me. I do yoga 'cuz I know for a fact that I'm a deluded idiot. And I get the feeling that you, like me, are inclined to welcome and cherish revelation of that same essential fact.

Most people do yoga to feel smart. A few do it to feel stupid. Welcome to the stupid pool!

I love it ahahahaha!

Yep another idiot here. I'm more sure of my idiocy than ever. Maybe that's the measurement of progress in yoga?
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2110 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2014 :  6:34:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Anima Deorum
Since I have some severe grounding issues, ongoing for a year now, Im going to look into some of this, like tai chi and herbs. I had a dear friend who did Yin style Bau Gua and is very skilled, living in Beijing. He always spoke of chi, which I discounted as superstition. Might this be a helpful practice, or are you familiar?

Not familiar. If you have a practice, like AYP, I'd suggest you be very hesitant about taking on a whole new practice. You know what they say about one deep well rather than 10 shallow ones. But tai chi (and other chi-gong type practices), on its own (i.e. not buying into the whole program) shouldn't interfere, and, yes, will help with grounding. Tai chi is what Yogani resorted to when his overload got bad.

As for discounting chi as superstition, chi is pretty much the same as prana/kundalini. If you think all that "energy" stuff is hogwash, then what exactly are do you consider yourself overloaded with? God? Love? Bhakti? Whatever you call it, that's the thing they're talking about. Though different traditions have different models and mappings.

quote:
I also have reservations about spiritual smugness, or pretense of any sort. Maybe because no one can match mine? Im practiced in the tradition of skepticism and critique. Its so exhausting. But I feel what youre saying about "polishing." I met a guy recently who was completely assured of his path for the last two decades. I cant do that. Maybe thats okay and maybe its good, too.

Yeah, no, that's not what I'm saying. I'm completely assured of my path. I just have no freaking idea of what will happen as I follow it.

Any of the established paths are good. Picking/choosing and trying to figure it out and decide what's "bullsh*t", etc., is just mind candy. The antidote to mind candy addiction is to simmer down, shaddup, and just do a daily practice, any daily practice (I like AYP). Do it as blithely as you brush your teeth. And let the cosmic barber trim your hair. But let him move your head around according to his volition, not yours. Don't try to anticipate his moves. Don't imagine you grok or own or direct the hair cut. He may cut off your entire head. Fine! One day you may be the scalp, another day the razor, another day the fluff on the floor. No need to model it, "get your mind around it", or any of that. Stay stupid and I guarantee that presumption will be proven correct! We all think we know where this path leads. The more certain you are, the more assured you will be of never being surprised or having your perspective transformed. The path doesn't matter. That's just the roadway. I'd suggest you pick and stick. But from there on out, let go and let it happen.

quote:
If we speak of infinity, nothing is said. I like your notion of "thinning out." Lord knows I could stand some.

That's just mind once again trying to coopt and control the experience. Remember the bugs bunny episode where the gangster says he's going to take him for a ride, and Bugs says "A ride! Oh, great! I love RIDES!" and giddily puts on his riding outfit, etc etc? That's the mind's reaction upon hearing you're going to do yoga to get beyond mind. The mind says "Goody!" and then turns the whole thing into an emulation....a mind f***. That's why sticking to a long term practice is helpful. Less mind feeding. Just do the practices, period.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2110 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2014 :  6:38:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
. I'm more sure of my idiocy than ever. Maybe that's the measurement of progress in yoga?

If you start feeling smart, that's the sign that you need to let go some more. And, as you do so, if you find cool stuff popping out of you, like from out of nowhere, don't presume you own it. Don't feel like you need to affect modesty, just understand that as you take credit it stops dead.

The good stuff flows through you from god knows where. Your you-ness is exactly the thing that's always been blocking all that. Nothing to do but let go.
Go to Top of Page

Anima

484 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2014 :  9:39:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting thoughts, Jim- Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2014 :  11:20:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Jim, I needed that - Thank you!

Sey
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2014 :  11:23:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:
. I'm more sure of my idiocy than ever. Maybe that's the measurement of progress in yoga?

If you start feeling smart, that's the sign that you need to let go some more. And, as you do so, if you find cool stuff popping out of you, like from out of nowhere, don't presume you own it. Don't feel like you need to affect modesty, just understand that as you take credit it stops dead.

The good stuff flows through you from god knows where. Your you-ness is exactly the thing that's always been blocking all that. Nothing to do but let go.

+1!
Go to Top of Page

snowtrees

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2014 :  3:25:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jim,

First I'd like to say thank you for this information. Not only has it helped me but also numerous others I'm sure. I hope you still read this post. I'd like to share my experience with you and humbly ask for some advise.

To summarize, I focused too much on the third eye and it wasn't a balanced, equanimous attention, more forced and sporadic than anything. Then at some point I realized my stomach was tight, I released the tension and a lot of sensations were released, I became agitated and anxious and felt like I couldn't control where my attention went, it went straight to the third eye. That was about a year and half ago, I couldn't feel my body and felt stuck, particularly in my head, I couldn't concentrate on anything for the longest time. I had lots of pressure/bubbly sensations on the top of my head, which would consume my attention. It was hard to allow it to just be. I eventually went to an acupuncture practitioner and he noticed my neck (below the base of the skull) was super tight and once he pricked it I felt a rush of consciousness (best way to describe it) and the pressure was no more, at least on the right side, but it continued on the left side but it wasn't overwhelming any longer. Since then I now can feel my body again and feel a continuous flow of consciousness, again for a lack of better term.

I have no urge to focus on the third eye any longer when I meditate, I have a measure of control over that and last time i meditated (breathing, focusig on the tactile sensation within the nose) i noticed my face and particularly the jaw was in constant tension mode. Long story short i stumbled on this topic and I tried opening the bottom of the throat and felt a good amount of energy flow down, it was a foreign feeling but not "scary". When I do try to meditate I feel the bottom of my jaw full of a bubbly energy (which pulls my jaw down, it seems to be stuck there, right?) Also my youngest seems to be constantly moving/ tense when I dilate my throat or try to focus, i have to be mindful of it and consciously relax it when I focus.

And like you, my stomach engaged again, it had been getting bigger even though I exercise well and eat well, vegetarian diet. I always felt like I couldn't engage my stomach, it always trembled when I tried to do a sit up or something along those lines.

I guess the point to this explanation is to ask what you thought of me continuing my current routine of mediation and if I have a block on the back of my neck as well? The habit of tensing when I meditate is there but as reduced if I am continuously mindful of that happening.I also practice a body scan meditation, just moving my attention around the body equally with no preference. The bubbly pressure on the top of my neck is still there but barely compared to before.

Ps could you explain the throat dilation in a different way if possible?

Lots of metta my friend.

Edited by - snowtrees on Feb 27 2014 4:17:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2110 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2014 :  12:21:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
To summarize, I focused too much on the third eye

Lots of people do this. The trick isn't to focus more skillfully, but to stop focusing. Just do your practices dumbly, passively, unaspirationally, and let it all go and do what it does. And, when you're not doing practices, get out of your head and your yoga and your energy and engage with the world. Talk to people. Do stuff. Walk. Work. Don't languish in this stuff. If you've read what I've written in this thread, that's the essence of my advice. Try it!

quote:
It was hard to allow it to just be.

Well, that's timely. I recently posted this. It might be helpful to consider this "just be" perspective more fully, elusive though I know it can be. It sounds like you're starting to come around to this conclusion, and my suggestion is that you apply it liberally.

quote:
I have no urge to focus on the third eye any longer when I meditate, I have a measure of control over that and last time i meditated (breathing, focusig on the tactile sensation within the nose) i noticed my face and particularly the jaw was in constant tension mode.

All this stuff you're doing: it's not AYP. Nowhere in AYP does it say to "get a measure of control" over anything, to focus on tactile sensations, or to notice your face and gauge tension. If you're an AYP practictioner, I'd strongly suggest you reread the lesson for meditation and whatever other practices you're doing so you can strip off the very many barnacles that have glommed on to this very very simple practice.

quote:
Long story short i stumbled on this topic and I tried opening the bottom of the throat and felt a good amount of energy flow down, it was a foreign feeling but not "scary". When I do try to meditate I feel the bottom of my jaw full of a bubbly energy (which pulls my jaw down, it seems to be stuck there, right?) Also my youngest seems to be constantly moving/ tense when I dilate my throat or try to focus, i have to be mindful of it and consciously relax it when I focus.

More of same.

Listen, as someone who started as a hatha yogi, and has lots of very subtle body awareness and an inveterate impulse to self-adjust, I sympathize. But yoga is "Thy Will Be Done". It's about letting the Cosmic Barber trim your hair, not about endless tinkering. I mean - if you want to self-tinker, god bless, enjoy. But you'll keep experiencing energy weirdness. Why not just let the practices carry you....and, otherwise, live life in full engagement? Less you in all this might be helpful.

We embark on spiritual work, presumably, because, to some extent, we realize the limitations of our mind's desire to control our outer lives, our outer world, our narratives. We achieve some measure of surrender. And then many of us try to apply the same mental effort to controlling our inner lives, our inner world, and our energy. It's the same error, and it WILL lead to overloading and energy problems because you are not the best architect of your energy and your surrender (any more than you are the best architect of your unfolding life narrative). Why not try leaving it to your inner guru?

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Feb 28 2014 12:47:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

snowtrees

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2014 :  02:39:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:
To summarize, I focused too much on the third eye

Lots of people do this. The trick isn't to focus more skillfully, but to stop focusing. Just do your practices dumbly, passively, unaspirationally, and let it all go and do what it does. And, when you're not doing practices, get out of your head and your yoga and your energy and engage with the world. Talk to people. Do stuff. Walk. Work. Don't languish in this stuff. If you've read what I've written in this thread, that's the essence of my advice. Try it!

Why not try leaving it to your inner guru?

You are right, I have had a hard time letting go and engaging. And more lately, as small as that voice is, I'm starting to listen. I thank you for your advise and if I may ask, as I do not have access to a Chinese herbalist in my region, what is it exactly that you get from the herbalist? I am going to drop my spiritual practices for the time being and just work on grounding myself with your recommendations.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2110 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2014 :  2:32:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
as small as that voice is, I'm starting to listen

That's clear from your posting. If it wasn't, I'd have tried to make the case more gently. But it was obvious you needed to reminded of something you already knew rather than convinced of something you don't!

At some point, you'll notice something astounding: nothing needs to change. Nothing needs to adjust in the whole universe. The only problem in any of this is the erroneous (and tenacious) conviction that stuff needs to change and be adjusted. That's the point of my poem, which I linked to above. It's a question of perspective.

And it's absolutely hilarious to think that one can change and adjust one's way to that awareness. (It's one of the cosmic jokes, and smart yogis never quite get those jokes - which is why I strive to keep feeling stupid...a stance which experience keeps proving correct.)

As for dropping practices: AYP strips away tons of complication, leaving practitioners with three stripped-down, ultra-simple, plain-as-daylight instructions that are all that's needed to work one's sadhana:

1. don't stop practicing,
2. let the experiences be,
3. if you run into trouble, scale back.

And the funny thing is, even this seems devilishly hard for most people to handle. About 75% of the postings in this forum involve people needing to be told not to quit, or to let experiences be, or to self-pace. It's like we read those instructions (repeated ad infinitum in the lessons) and don't believe we need to actually apply them.

Hey, quit if you want. It's your choice. My suggestion, if you're doing AYP, is that you follow AYP and scale back. If you've scaled back and it's still not enough, scale back some more. And more. And more, if necessary. But don't quit. Don't ever quit.

As for herbs specifically, my suggestion is that you don't self-prescribe, and don't take what other people take. The herbs were a very small part of what I suggested. The largest part of what I suggested was for you to stop fiddling and fretting (all this compulsive attention on your overload is causing overload). This is another instruction you clearly understand yet seem reluctant to implement.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Mar 03 2014 3:37:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kduzza

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2014 :  05:24:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi there Jim.

Firstly, I must thank you for your input on this subject! I've been having trouble with a lot of head and neck pressure, and it's left me often feeling spaced out and unable to fully express myself as I used to.. I've had this problem for around 6 months now, when I just completely ignore the pressure, it seems to just rest where the head and neck meet, and prevents me from being able to turn my head smoothly, so I knew something somewhat practical had to be done to correct this.
The pressure moves around sometimes to its own accord, and sometimes it goes to where I place my conscious attention in the the head or neck.
Before finding this forum, (I found it 3 days ago
Searching for some help with this Kundalini imbalance) I had experiments with trying to guide the energy back down the spine, down to the legs and out the feet, I had some relief from the pressure, and for two days thought I had gotten rid of it. However, it returned but at a less greater magnitude.
Usually I remain abstinent as when I ejaculate I feel largely unmotivated and lathargic. However I have noted that ejaculating does relieve the pressure a little, although I think the blocks are still there so I'm not sure whether I should continue to ejaculate, as when I do I feel very lethargic and unmotivated.

When I consciously place my attention on the under chin and throat area and relax it physically, I have experienced somewhat of an opening but it seems to close again the day after. I have just become aware of the 'throat dilution' technique you propose, however I am still a little unsure of how to do this. Am I effectively moving my Adam's apple down, whilst performing the beggining of a yawn?

And finally, I'm going to try craniosacral therapy as I have heard that it can help with restoring the natural flow of the body and is good for working with head pressure, do you have any experience or opinions on this?

P.s, apologies for my layman terminology, I'm not so familiar with the chakra system and so on!

Thank you :)

Go to Top of Page

Kduzza

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2014 :  04:31:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Again, I'm not really aware of anyone else that i can speak to about this issue, so any pointers are greatly appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2014 :  08:48:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kduzza,

I do not mean to intrude in your question for Jim, but as your have described, energy follows your attention. Things like spaciness can often be from keeping to much attention in your head once the energy has started flowing. Signs of pressure are often issues or fears stored in those areas of the energy body that need to be faced and let go.

If you are looking for a suggestion, maybe try to place your attention lower in the body for a while. The heart or stomach can be helpful. Also, going even lower and placing it in the ground below your feet, can be a very powerful grounding technique.

Again, sorry for the interruption.

Best wishes,
Jeff
Go to Top of Page

Kduzza

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2014 :  12:00:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jeff

Thank you for your reply! I have recently tried stomping my feet a lot, which seems to help to ground the energy somewhat, and helps me focus more on my feet and legs, rather than the head pressure, so what your describing Is helpful :) And you don't need to be sorry! Any help and opinions with this is greatly appreciated!
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2110 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2014 :  11:54:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Jeff's reply was good. If you've read my first posting in this thread, there are a ton of suggestions for putting attention (and thus energy) into the ground ("lower down" isn't quite as helpful as, like, Earth). Stomping feet isn't one of them. Have you tried any of my suggestions?

quote:
I have experienced somewhat of an opening but it seems to close again the day after.

That indicates to me that there may be a physical problem involved. Most of the blocks yoga dissolves are created by infinitesimal actions repeated over the course of many years (think Grand Canyon/Colorado River). You can open them, but the block will return over the long run if you cease yoga practice and fall back into the same unconscious patterns.

But if it's snapping back next day, it's not the aggregation of feathery infinitesimal actions, there's something way more macro and physical happening here, and I think your idea of craniosacral therapy is a good one. I'd encourage you, though, to mentally separate two issues. There's the block, and there's the feeling of energy pooling behind the block.

Lots of healers know about blocks. Blocks, by one name or another, are what many (perhaps most) therapeutic efforts are directed toward. The energy issues which are made worse by the block are not directly part of that problem, they're more of a secondary consequence. So I wouldn't complicate the issue by discussing them. Don't talk about the energy, talk about the feeling of blockage (really, they're two sides of the same coin; we don't notice blockage unless SOMETHING'S trying to flow past). That will be much more understandable and addressable by your healer. I've found that outlining a whole grand story about kundalini flows and overloads and stuff just over-complicates, and either confuses healers or excites them and makes them want to add more energy to your system. Any healer who feels comfortable dropping the word "kundalini" is probably - regardless of what they SAY they do - going to add energy, and worsen problems. There's no science of SUBTRACTING kundalini. That's not a thing.

So focus on blockage, both in how you monitor the treatment, and in how you discuss the condition with the therapist. After ten years of kundalini, I can honestly say that there's never been a good reason for or a good result from discussing my kundalini with anyone ever....except to compare notes with fellow yogis.

quote:
I have just become aware of the 'throat dilution' technique you propose, however I am still a little unsure of how to do this. Am I effectively moving my Adam's apple down, whilst performing the beggining of a yawn?

If I was suggesting you move your Adam's apple down, or moving anything else, I'd have said so. What I'm suggesting is an energetic action, not a physical one. And while I realize that's something most people find difficult to conceive and do, the fact that it's something you've previously learned to do with your ear canals makes it possible to transfer that know-how to the throat.

Reread what I wrote. Don't just sail through, pay close attention. I'm not doing a sloppy job of telling you how to do something concrete, I'm doing a careful job of telling you how to do something hazy!

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Mar 21 2014 12:02:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kduzza

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2014 :  4:05:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Jeff's reply was good. If you've read my first posting in this thread, there are a ton of suggestions for putting attention (and thus energy) into the ground ("lower down" isn't quite as helpful as, like, Earth). Stomping feet isn't one of them. Have you tried any of my suggestions?

quote:
I have experienced somewhat of an opening but it seems to close again the day after.

That indicates to me that there may be a physical problem involved. Most of the blocks yoga dissolves are created by infinitesimal actions repeated over the course of many years (think Grand Canyon/Colorado River). You can open them, but the block will return over the long run if you cease yoga practice and fall back into the same unconscious patterns.

But if it's snapping back next day, it's not the aggregation of feathery infinitesimal actions, there's something way more macro and physical happening here, and I think your idea of craniosacral therapy is a good one. I'd encourage you, though, to mentally separate two issues. There's the block, and there's the feeling of energy pooling behind the block.

Lots of healers know about blocks. Blocks, by one name or another, are what many (perhaps most) therapeutic efforts are directed toward. The energy issues which are made worse by the block are not directly part of that problem, they're more of a secondary consequence. So I wouldn't complicate the issue by discussing them. Don't talk about the energy, talk about the feeling of blockage (really, they're two sides of the same coin; we don't notice blockage unless SOMETHING'S trying to flow past). That will be much more understandable and addressable by your healer. I've found that outlining a whole grand story about kundalini flows and overloads and stuff just over-complicates, and either confuses healers or excites them and makes them want to add more energy to your system. Any healer who feels comfortable dropping the word "kundalini" is probably - regardless of what they SAY they do - going to add energy, and worsen problems. There's no science of SUBTRACTING kundalini. That's not a thing.

So focus on blockage, both in how you monitor the treatment, and in how you discuss the condition with the therapist. After ten years of kundalini, I can honestly say that there's never been a good reason for or a good result from discussing my kundalini with anyone ever....except to compare notes with fellow yogis.

quote:
I have just become aware of the 'throat dilution' technique you propose, however I am still a little unsure of how to do this. Am I effectively moving my Adam's apple down, whilst performing the beggining of a yawn?

If I was suggesting you move your Adam's apple down, or moving anything else, I'd have said so. What I'm suggesting is an energetic action, not a physical one. And while I realize that's something most people find difficult to conceive and do, the fact that it's something you've previously learned to do with your ear canals makes it possible to transfer that know-how to the throat.

Reread what I wrote. Don't just sail through, pay close attention. I'm not doing a sloppy job of telling you how to do something concrete, I'm doing a careful job of telling you how to do something hazy!

I've re-examined what you wrote about throat dialation and grasp what you're pointing towards much more clearly.. I will try it out for the next few weeks and see how I progress.
I think it it likely that my poor posture might be a major contributing factor in facilitating the blocks.. My head is kind of forced into the forward head posture due to the 'energy in and around the head/neck area, whenever I move my head into its proper posture with the chin tucked and elongated neck, the pressure is much more apparent and I become somewhat space out..
I have booked an appointment with a Chinese herbalist as well as a craniosacral therapist, and have been and will continue taking very long walks (as you reccomended) as well as direct contact with the earth.
I am also wondering whether a visit to a neurosomatic therapist or a chiropractor may be necessary in order to facilitate proper posture. Do you believe that improper posture may play a role in the blockage of energy?
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2110 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2014 :  9:39:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kduzza
I think it it likely that my poor posture might be a major contributing factor in facilitating the blocks.. My head is kind of forced into the forward head posture due to the 'energy in and around the head/neck area, whenever I move my head into its proper posture with the chin tucked and elongated neck, the pressure is much more apparent and I become somewhat space out..

You may find it helpful to refrain from attributing cause/effect. Whenever I do that, I most often discover it's the other way around. Or neither this nor that.

quote:
I have booked an appointment with a Chinese herbalist as well as a craniosacral therapist,

If you do more than one therapy, how will you know which was effective? Or which caused undesirable effects?

As for the rest, I've suggested countless times throughout this thread (in fact, from the very first posting) that paying too much attention to this stuff exacerbates the problem. You are not ever going to fiddle yourself into perfection...though I realize yoga attracts inveterate fiddlers (as does this thread in particular, as was my fear).

Perfection is right here, right now, in spite of (or, more precisely, encompassing) the peas beneath your mattress. Open up, self-pace, and ground. If you want some grounding suggestions, I've provided enough to last you for years in the topmost posting. I'm not sure why people assume I'm some trove of fiddling know-how. That's not my purpose here. Good luck.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Mar 21 2014 9:43:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kduzza

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2014 :  2:47:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:

You may find it helpful to refrain from attributing cause/effect. Whenever I do that, I most often discover it's the other way around. Or neither this nor that.

quote:
I have booked an appointment with a Chinese herbalist as well as a craniosacral therapist,

If you do more than one therapy, how will you know which was effective? Or which caused undesirable effects?

As for the rest, I've suggested countless times throughout this thread (in fact, from the very first posting) that paying too much attention to this stuff exacerbates the problem. You are not ever going to fiddle yourself into perfection...though I realize yoga attracts inveterate fiddlers (as does this thread in particular, as was my fear).

Perfection is right here, right now, in spite of (or, more precisely, encompassing) the peas beneath your mattress. Open up, self-pace, and ground. If you want some grounding suggestions, I've provided enough to last you for years in the topmost posting. I'm not sure why people assume I'm some trove of fiddling know-how. That's not my purpose here. Good luck.

I understand what you're saying in terms of letting things be, however it's much easier said than done. I'm 17 so I have some pretty crucial exams coming up, and the blockage is preventing me from being able to retain any information, as well as connecting with the people I love. It may seem like obsessive fiddling, but I did not foresee something like this occurring.

I am however somewhat optimistic as I believe I will come out of this with more gratitude for every aspect of life.

Today I experienced an opening after the throat dilation. It was like a warm lovey feeling that lasted for a whilw, and the head pressure dissipated. This for me is promising as I now have a better understanding and know this is something that can be worked with.

Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2110 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2014 :  12:48:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I understand what you're saying in terms of letting things be, however it's much easier said than done. I'm 17 so I have some pretty crucial exams coming up, and the blockage is preventing me from being able to retain any information, as well as connecting with the people I love.

Didn't realize you were so young. FWIW, you express yourself beautifully for a 17 year old. You're doing great!

Listen, it's not that I don't (clearly) remember the sensation of being adrift without an instruction manual (or anyone who could "fix" me), and of clutching at whatever straws I could manage to grab at. I'm not scoffing at your situation. I'm just trying to direct your attention somewhere helpful - which is anywhere but where it currently is.

Yoga in general, and kundalini awakening in particular, draw us inward...sometimes to an excess. Grounding is the solution. Outwardness. Worldliness. Engagement. All different words for the same thing. But as I try to direct your attention there, I can feel resistance. You want to go the OTHER way. It's a pull. And my point is that this very inclination, this very pull, IS the problem. IS the block.

You are infinite space. Any sensation of limits, borders, edges, or blocks, is nothing but a perceptual habit reinforced over time. There's nothing actually there, aside from a tendency to put attention there. The block is you (i.e. your resistance), not something afflicting you. The best way to relax that resistance is via meditation (with good self-pacing) while grounding (e.g. my suggestions in the first post in this thread). The more you conceive of a block, the more blocked you become. That's how it started in the first place. The perspective comes first (once again, cause/effect is not what you think!).

quote:
I will come out of this with more gratitude for every aspect of life.

This is a helpful tip: don't look for change. You aren't self-perfecting. That's a myth. It doesn't happen (which is one reason all these supposedly perfect gurus invariably turn out to be so shmucky). You'll continue to be flawed and ungrateful (unless you learn to pose/pretend real well....in which case you may eventually fool even yourself). Only self-deluded yogis transform into god-like beings.

Everything can stay exactly as-is. You know that military phrase, "As you were"? That's as spiritual a phrase as they come. I was doing what you were doing at your age (I'm nearly triple it now). And if I could send myself a message back in time, that's what it'd say.

Have you noticed that after all this yoga, you still get mad/petty/greedy/other bad things, just like you always did....but (big "but"!) you view yourself at those moments from a slightly more distant and dispassionate viewpoint? Like you're watching yourself get upset from a viewpoint of total calm? And have you noticed that, as you practice yoga, you find yourself switching to this viewpoint sooner and sooner (and, just as importantly, that it's not something you control or will....it just happens)?

That's the whole ball game right there. You still act shmucky and human (because that's what you are!), but the deepest part of you, which has always remained sublimely indifferent (not cold-hearted, just sort of...mature) , becomes more and more your viewpoint.

I'm guessing you've noticed all this. So read the tea leaves: this is what yoga's working toward. Not changing/improving you or your behavior, just easing you out of your mistaken perception that you're That Guy (you can't be that which you can observe). His shmuckiness and ingratitude and all the rest can stay. "As you were!"

Same for this block issue. Find that same viewpoint of spacious dispassion, and the same indifferent acceptance of EVERYTHING, just as-is. The block issue can continue if it wants to! But (to use the hideously misused vedanta question), who's blocked?

quote:
Today I experienced an opening after the throat dilation. It was like a warm lovey feeling that lasted for a whilw, and the head pressure dissipated. This for me is promising as I now have a better understanding and know this is something that can be worked with.

Great! But don't overdo it!! It's very powerful. Deceptively so, like lots of tiny yoga moves. Openings feel great, but you've already learned why discipline and restraint and ease are critical. Too much of a good thing, etc....

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Mar 26 2014 1:10:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2110 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2014 :  12:55:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by roohiiq

hi i'm experiencing a new thing its a little bit different. the headache form the channel block is too much
and its not painful some times i even enjoy it!. and its under control, i can make it appear when i want and make disappear in about 2 minutes.
what does this mean ?

roohiiq, it sounds like you are just on the edge of "too much", and you are, for some reason, trying to push things a little further until it IS too much.

I understand the impulse to "play" with this stuff. But you need to remember that you can overload yourself very easily (and, again, it sounds like you're right at that point). And you need to remember that sometimes problems come with a delay, so you feel that what you are doing isn't bringing you a bad result, then, a day or two or three later, you see that there WAS a bad result.

And overloads, once they happen, are difficult to deal with. It's a lot easier to be careful now than it is to fix an overload later! :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000