New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

mathurs

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2013 :  10:26:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Ddingal,
Try the neti as suggested by lucid. Also a drop of cows ghee in each nostril will clear blockages.

Go to Top of Page

mathurs

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2013 :  10:30:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Satish,
What sort of a meditation routine do you follow? Have you seen the doctor / pharmacist for your stomach problems?

I am not sure what throat dilation practice is.

Studying will not affect energy direction.
Go to Top of Page

satish77

India
2 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2013 :  01:58:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by mathurs

Hello Satish,
What sort of a meditation routine do you follow? Have you seen the doctor / pharmacist for your stomach problems?

I am not sure what throat dilation practice is.

Studying will not affect energy direction.

Breathing meditation.
I am 100% sure the problem is because of meditation.
Please see the first post of this thread...the slow digestion is one of the symptoms.
Also throat dilation is also described in the first post of this thread by "Jim and His karma".But I cant understand how to do it.

I have tried some of his tips and now the problem is cured a bit.

I did following things:
Did not do meditation .
Walking barefooted while feeling the sensation in feet.
Tapping from head to stomach.
Go to Top of Page

budhi

India
1 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  09:39:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,my friend is suffering for kundalini problem from a long period.he is getting angry very often and not able to take decissions easily.but he is very nice person by heart.

please help and give suggestion for this problem.
Go to Top of Page

vd007

USA
38 Posts

Posted - May 08 2013 :  4:14:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jim,

Do the chinese herbs still work for head pressure and kundalini symptoms? Or have they stopped working like other natural medicines which work for a few days/ weeks and then stop working and one is back to square one
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - May 15 2013 :  10:19:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The herbs aren't a "fix". They're just one useful prong in a multi-pronged effort.

But I've been on the herbs for years now (I do take a day or two off per week, and a week or two off per season, etc), and I do feel they've been helpful. And not just for kundalini overload issues, but for the underlying physical/energetic issues which led to the kundalini overload issues (it's important to remember that kundalini, in and of itself, isn't the problem; it's your body's handling of it). I'd suggest approaching the herbal angle from that perspective....fixing an underlying body issue. And it is, alas, slow going.

I'd urge you to stick with traditional chinese herbs, and to approach your herbologist as suggested in the first posting on this thread. Don't talk about yoga or channels or kundalini, you'll just confuse the person. Go to a real chinese herbalist, stay quiet, and let them diagnose you via pulse. If they ask, describe your symptoms, but only in a down-to-earth physical way ("headache", etc).
Go to Top of Page

apatride

New Caledonia
94 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  02:19:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit apatride's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been told that visualizing roots goind deep into earth from the feet is a good way for fast grounding. SO far it seems to help, faster and more conveniently than walking.

Have you any insight about this technique Jim?

(sorry if this had been already mentionned here...)
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  8:41:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
apatride, you're definitely on the right track. "Grounding" can be quite a literal process, as you've found! Yogani, and others, practices tai chi for a similar effect (if you'er deeply in tai chi, it's all about that deep earth rootedness).

Another thing to try, with extreme caution (i.e. don't do it too much, don't obsess, don't make big changes, just something to fool around with a little bit well outside of practices) is to visualize a downward flow of energy on the inhalation, and upward on exhalation. Doing it more than a little (or, heaven forbid, doing it during or soon before/after AYP practice) will screw with your pranayama. But little bits of it once in a while can ream out some of the bumpies.

As I said in a different thread, this is stuff for people at the end of their ropes. Really, it's best to just let the cosmic barber cut your hair as he will, rather than poke around and tinker. Poking and tinkering are means of holding on, and yoga's about letting go!
Go to Top of Page

apatride

New Caledonia
94 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  9:07:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit apatride's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
For now I'm just self pacing, SBP is again too soon to be handled. Just doing some visualization grounding.

BTW tHanks for all your advices Jim, for 2 years now I've been dealing with strong pressures in the head (Ajna located) and your presence here is precious!
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2013 :  1:10:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
SBP is a double edged sword. It's the best thing out there for evening out energy flow in the body, but I do understand how the upward part can feel like bringing hot coals to a forest fire (sorry, not my best metaphor).

But rather than abandon SBP entirely, I'd suggest experimenting with micro SBP. Do it for just 30 seconds at a time. If you start with virtually nothing, and ratchet up the duration every couple weeks (by maybe 15 seconds?), you may discover you do have some headroom to include the practice (there's a lot of spectrum between "something" and "nothing"!) and get the evening-out benefits.

This is the very essence of self-pacing. Just keep ratcheting up until your inner guru tells you you're pushing the edge. Stay there...or go down a notch. But I'd suggest really waiting a week or two before increasing, because effects of these changes can be delayed. So don't just judge results the day you make a change...view them the day after and a couple days after, too, when evaluating if you should increase again.

If even that's too much, try 10 seconds. 5 seconds. 1 second. Like a mafioso trying to bribe someone, everyone's got a number they find they can be comfortable with!

BTW, lots of the AYP practices can be done this way....in micro version. To interesting effect. As Yogani keeps saying, "less can be more".
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2013 :  2:59:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Update to my original posting. Six years later, I have no kundalini symptoms, no headache, no problem withstanding upward energy, no trapped energy in the head or jaw. It all distributes pretty evenly.

One symptom remained, however: my kundalini rash. Here's how I fixed that.
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2013 :  3:50:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jim,

Are you still around? Is your blood pressure under control?

I have a newly awakened kundalini. I've been having trouble with head and jaw aches, mainly on the left side. I've been diagnosed with hypertension. I have a few months to change my lifestyle before meds are prescribed. I've seen some articles online that say that these symptoms are common and shouldn't be treated, they'll resolve without medication.

I've been favoring pitta foods mainly to help with the heat. Vata foods during emotional storms. I will reduce my salt and fat. It 's a lot to keep in mind!

I'm sensitive to practices; I can only do 15 min of breath meditation. My throat now feels like there's a lump. I know some of the AYP practices can help, but I can do zero pranayama right now.

I'm in my 30's. My weight is considered healthy. I've been walking and doing standing postures everyday. My yoga teacher told me to do horse stance and keep my tongue on the roof of my mouth during practice. It helps some.

Sorry to be do whiny! I think you understand. I can't tell my doc about the kundalini. I don't know where to go. Back to the doctor? An Ayurvedic doctor for dosha imbalance? A Chinese herbalist?
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2013 :  11:56:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A lot of what you're asking is already answered in the long message that started this thread. So I'll direct you to that. Most importantly, I've suggested chinese herbs for both blood pressure and kundalini problems. I'd suggest not leaving your blood pressure untreated. I'd suggest treating it with Chinese herbs per my explanation in that posting. As I wrote, it's worked well for me.

As for the rest:

if you're having asymmetric symptoms (i.e. left side problems), practice spinal twists, and try to direct more attention to the OTHER side (the one with fewer problems). To resolve things, the first thing that's necessary is for the right side to exhibit the same problems.

When you say you've been favoring pitta foods, either you're misspeaking or you're doing exactly the wrong thing. Pitta foods are foods that increase heat, and thus will worsen your problem. Yogani has a lesson on this, and the internet is full of basic instructions of ayurveda. You need to eat foods that reduce pitta. Perhaps that's what you meant. If not, you need to calm down, focus, learn, and proceed prudently.

As for switching to "vata foods" (perhaps you mean vata reducing foods?), this is the wrong approach. Ayurveda is a holistic approach to be taken over time. It's not like pills you take in the moment to address this or that. To switch diet to try to fix momentary issues is to misunderstand and misuse ayurveda. Same for wildly switching practices - e.g. flailing for an AYP practice to help with your throat lump. That's not how to do it. Stick with a well-balanced series of practices, and self-pace if you have issues. You clearly have issues, so whatever length you're practicing needs to be reduced much further.

I'd suggest you refrain from wildly and impulsively flailing to extreme actions. Favor moderation, and be circumspect and prudent in your actions. Repeat: favor moderation. Extremism is what brought you to this point. Don't fight a fire with more fire.

And don't look for someone to fix you. It doesn't work that way. Scale back your practices a good bit. Calm down. Ground yourself (e.g. with some of the steps I suggested). Simplify. Chill out. Take everything down a notch. Don't make this a trip. The worry, the flailing, the agitation, the "doing", the focus on the problem is all making it worse. Let it play out over your essential inner calmness, just as the other trials and tribulations of the world do likewise.

Anyway, that's my advice. I hope it helps.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Sep 26 2013 11:57:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2013 :  12:32:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Also, I notice you've been posting a bunch around here. My suggestion is that you not make yoga/spirituality a "hobby" (much less a self image). Do your daily practices, but otherwise put your attention on engaging in the world (including walking and other physical stuff). Resist the urge to do lots of yoga thinking/speculating/mulling/discussing/kindred spirit seeking, etc. That's sort of the uber grounding tip. You don't need to think about it all.

That's something Yogani suggested to me years back, and I see now that he was right. Spirituality is for practice time. Devote the rest to living, action, interaction, worldly stuff. Eventually, it all becomes the same thing, anyway.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Sep 26 2013 12:34:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2013 :  08:53:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you. It does help.

I'm doing 15 min of breath meditation. I'll reduce it and not worry about increasing or trying to get back to DM until I feel grounded.

I did feel a small energy breeze last night from the right top of my head down the left side (painful side) of my face. I don't understand exactly what's going on, so I won't mess with it. Okay, maybe a few more twists.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2013 :  1:49:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
By "breath meditation", do you mean AYP Pranayama, or another practice? And by "DM" do you mean AYP Deep meditation or another practice? I have some suggestions on that, but first I need to know what you're referring to.

Whenever you feel an asymmetrical wave/pain, do the opposite of your impulse (which is to pay attention to the wave/pain). Instead, immediately focus your attention on the unaffected side, and try to feel/find the same wave/pain there, even if just at 1/1000th the intensity level (even if there's nothing there at all, that's fine....just look for it). Your energy will follow your attention, and by placing attention on the OTHER side, you can begin to perhaps even out the effects. It's counterintuitive, because there's nothing like pain or energy movements to draw your attention, so you have to learn to go the other way, much like learning to steer into a skid when driving. But don't overdo it....don't get too obsessive about this...you don't have to stop everything and diligently do this every single time you feel a twinge. Just start favoring this behavior.

If you're able, try to keep your attention (i.e. feel like you're "living") in the unaffected side, generally (the right side). This will also help even things out.

But be very very careful. These tweaks are more significant than you may realize, and if you STAY in this habit of placing attention on one side rather than the other, that habit may outlive its usefulness, and result in further asymmetry problems later. So if/when the left/right issues even out, you need to very consciously remember to stop this habit of attention placement and stop thinking asymmetrically. It will be difficult, and require discipline. In fact, I'm only suggesting these tweaks because your asymmetry issues seem frightfully severe. Serious medicine. DO NOT FORGET to undo it when the asymmetry resolves.

(I prolonged a nasty kundalini rash years longer than necessary because a tiny tweak I'd made to my breathing had become unconscious and natural-seeming, so I never undid it when the problem went away, which caused another problem - the extended rash).

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Sep 27 2013 1:54:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2013 :  5:23:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jim,

I follow AYP instructions for breath meditation. I watch the breath in the upper belly region. That region is becoming tender and bigger, not painful, just a little uncomfortable.

By DM, I mean AYP Deep Meditation. I have not practiced any pranayama for several weeks.

I do want to add that I also feel the cool mint sensation over my physical heart and left chest, so it's not just pain on that side. I feel no minty sensation on my right side.

I really appreciate the help. I won't go overboard following any of your suggestions, but I will follow them.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2013 :  5:58:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't know about the breath meditation, but I just read the lesson. Sounds like a good thing to be doing. But 15 minutes sounds like a lot to me, especially since you're having all sorts of problems. Maybe consider shortening it? If I were in your shoes, I might drop to 5 or so, then stay there for a couple weeks, then slowly/gradually add a minute back every week, if you're feeling relatively smooth.

Along the same lines, you may want to consider adding back pranayama, but scale it way back. Can you do it for just one or two breath cycles? Asymmetrical energy issues mean your body could use to firmly establish the correct energy pathways (in addition to the "evening-out" suggestions I offered above). And there is no better way to establish the correct energetic pathway (which, at this point, is not where it's flowing) than pranayama.

When Yogani keeps stressing self-pacing, he's not kidding. Over-doing....or quitting....are the opposites of self-pacing. Self-pacing means to do less and less until results are smooth and comfortable. Then, after a while, if you're feeling ok and haven't added anything new in a while and feel a desire, you perhaps do a bit more (3 breath cycles?). Then stay there for a good long while. "Almost nothing" is very, very different from "nothing".

If you do choose to do both (i.e. shorten meditation AND add a touch of pranayama), you should decide which to do first, and then wait a couple weeks before the other. It's not a good idea to make two changes at once. This is a marathon, not a sprint, so super long view and general conservatism is appropriate.

Finally, everything I've written is just suggestion. I'm not trying to be (nor am I qualified to be) The Person Who Fixes You. Hopefully I've given you some things to consider and think about, and you may want to try some of them (preferably heeding my warnings!). But it's up to you. Everyone's unique in their array of blocks and energy issues, so you need to self-manage, self-pace, and self-guide. Just be prudent and conservative and moderate. And, per this thread, I'd urge you to put most of your effort into grounding, rather than fixing specific problems. Grounding is good! :)

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Sep 28 2013 1:17:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2013 :  01:47:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
follow AYP instructions for breath meditation. I watch the breath in the upper belly region. That region is becoming tender and bigger, not painful, just a little uncomfortable.

hello lalow33
in breath meditation we dont intentionally watch the breath on any specific area...just do the practice...and sometimes naturally the focus will be on one part or another....but it is all very spontaneous
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2013 :  3:20:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
maheswari,

Thanks for correcting me. I've stuck with solar centering, so I'm not following breath meditation guidelines.
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2013 :  3:46:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jim,

I was down to 4 breath cycles of spinal breathing before I stopped. Yes, stopping and starting over and over again is no good. Maybe, I could do 1-2 cycles. I'm not sure.

I have some good news. I was able to lay in Savasana. I put rocks on my body and down by my feet. When the left side pain began, I focused on the right. I felt a twinge, just the slightest pain in my right jaw. You know what? The left side pain did not turn into crushing pain/ pressure. It has been a long time since I could even tolerate that pose for more than a minute or two.

Please don't worry. I won't get carried away with any tweaks or techniques. I'll stop whining for now.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2013 :  3:13:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Good news about the savasana.

"I was down to 4 breath cycles of spinal breathing before I stopped"

How long did you stay with that? I'm guessing not long. If so, there's no way to know that four cycles of pranayama breath cycles are problematic for you, cuz you may have still been feeling the problems of greater length of pranayama (and/or other overdoing) you were practicing before you scaled it back to four.

If you stuck with four cycles for a good while, and are absolutely sure that was causing you problems, then you were almost surely straining in pranayama...doing it too extremely.

I would suggest you add two cycles of pranayama to your routine, and do it calmly and without strain or drama. Then (if things go smoothly, and you've made no other changes for a while) work up very gradually. Again, your energy is wayward, and the best hope for getting it into the correct track is pranayama. Pranayama is your friend. Also: reread Yogani's lesson before you restart it. It's very easy to get into a habit of straying from the directions without realizing it.

And remember that every change you make (adding on or scaling back) requires not hours or days but weeks or even months to fully evaluate. If there's a problem or lack of smoothness, though, it's always ok to scale back. Not quit, though.

Good luck!

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Sep 29 2013 3:15:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2013 :  1:16:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jim and maheswari,

Since my last post, I've cut back on the meditation time. I had to drop the solar centering because of belly pain. My attention is scattered without a focal point, but hopefully I'll be able to relax into it and not complicate it.

I've stepped up the exercise, nothing crazy, but man am I sore! It feels good to be sore, very grounding.

I tried the living in my right side, couldn't do it at first. When I finally could, I felt like an alien creature, so weird. It didn't take much attention to have pain in both sides, definitely not something I do all day.

Thanks for your help!
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2013 :  12:04:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by lalow33

My attention is scattered without a focal point, but hopefully I'll be able to relax into it and not complicate it.

Interesting phenomenon to consider: when psychotic people take their meds, many report that their lives seem boring and flat (this is why many refuse to take their meds). And, indeed, they're right. Normalcy is a lot less interesting.

Similarly, you may indeed have a "scattering" problem. Or it may just be that you are so used to vise-gripping your attention on this or that that when you ease off that just a little bit, you feel "scattered". Time will tell.

quote:
I've stepped up the exercise, nothing crazy, but man am I sore! It feels good to be sore, very grounding.

Yep, true. Just don't overdo. But you knew that.

quote:
I tried the living in my right side, couldn't do it at first. When I finally could, I felt like an alien creature, so weird. It didn't take much attention to have pain in both sides, definitely not something I do all day.

That's great news. But I didn't suggest doing it all day. Rereading my posting, I see that I wasn't quite cautious enough about that.

But you should understand that the asymmetry is a lot more dangerous than the pain itself. If you can get both sides open and integrated - as it sounds like your'e doing - then you have yourself a standard-issue case of overdoing to work on. If your two sides can be more or less similar (even if that means negative feelings), then you have something to work with. And let me repeat for the nth time: once the two sides are integrated, you need to work quite consciously to drop the habit of stressing the right. It's harder than it sounds. At first, you'll go back to favoring the left, probably. Integration is everything.

Finally, remember that the pain is too much bliss; too much aliveness. When you tone it down, you'll see that. It's too much of a good thing, which is something that can be adjusted (you likely still need to ground more and scale back more, though). You don't want half your body numb and sluggish while the other side sizzles! If you can get symmetrical, your work will be much simpler (even if it means sizzling up the other side for a while). Just cool off and ground. I'd imagine one reason you're still apparently doing too much is because the asymmetry is complicating things for you, so you're not able to see the larger simplicity - the need to relax off the throttle.
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2014 :  1:52:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jim,

I was doing too much because I had the belief that I needed to meditate at least a certain amount of minutes to get the inner silence. I realize how ridiculous this is. DUH! It's the most obvious thing in the world! How did I miss it?!

I know this off topic wanted to thank you for the pointers.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000