Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 The Orgasmic Diet
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2007 :  12:21:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Comrades,

No financial affiliation here, but a pal of mine from taobums has recently written a book called the Orgasmic Diet available on amazon and it has been well reviewed by well known tantric and sex authors.

My review is on amazon: so far so good. I don't know if I agree with everything in the book but the author says that her diet over the long term (ten years) is all she needed in order to experience an advanced level of kundalini sexuality. (Without seeking, desiring, or even knowing about it.)

This last key point is not covered in the book and is only alluded to as she wanted to keep the book in the realm of popular interest. More details at taobums.com where she occasionally posts as "Witch".

Since she has shared this on taobums: she says to take a fairly high dose of fish oil a day (5 grams combined DHA and EPA at 180lbs... 3 grams at 130 lbs). Eliminate soy and caffeine (ouch!) and eliminate smoking. As the fish oil has a mood boosting effect, it may be possible to reduce or eliminate antidepressants if possible which would be advantageous. There are many other ingredients, but she suggests phasing in the diet slowly and see what you think.

If you are interested in killing your sex drive then do things that up seratonin without boosting dopamine like eating soymilk, cigs, tea, pasta and starches, etc.

I would assume that her dietary guidelines could be used to amplify or mute kundalini activity... Don't hold me to that... just brainstorming...

She also recommends using the geneflex for women and the aneros or tailbone/pc contraction training for men.

Food for thought!!

Yoda

Edited by - AYPforum on Aug 03 2007 12:23:17 PM

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2007 :  8:23:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yoda,

The fish oil has so many beneficial effects on the body, especially on the nervous system, that it is hard to not include it.

Unfortunately for vegetarians only about 5% of flaxseed oil and the like converts into the form that is useable by humans as we don't have the necessary enzyme systems well developed for the conversion. Omega 3s normalize pitta (inflammation) in the body. Many people have chronic low level inflammation in their bodies which is caused by the consumption of poor quality fats that produce inflammatory chemicals in our systems. Not to mention other dietary items that contribute as well.

The ratio of omega 3s to omega 6s is way out of balance in our society. Omega 6s produce inflammatory chemicals. Chronic inflammation is associated with every major cause of death in our society today. Cancer, stroke, heart attack, etc.

But the type of fat you consume is huge in this regard.

Fish oil is already in the usable form and requires no enzyme conversion.

Just thought I would throw that in. Don't know if that is politically correct for ayurveda but is for modern day science.

Thanks for the post, yb.
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2007 :  05:35:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yoda and Yogibear

I was going to ask about whether the Orgasmic Diet was vegitarian or not, it seems that YB has answered the question with the comment about fish oils. Does the book recommend the use of meat or fish to increase dopamine levels?

I have only recently gone fully vegitarian and find it very agreeable on my system.

Not sure wheather it would bother me too much taking fish oil and being a vegitarian though, since it is the effect on my body and energy that interests me mainly in vegitarianism.
quote:
Yoda said:Since she has shared this on taobums: she says to take a fairly high dose of fish oil a day (5 grams combined DHA and EPA at 180lbs... 3 grams at 130 lbs). Eliminate soy and caffeine (ouch!) and eliminate smoking. As the fish oil has a mood boosting effect, it may be possible to reduce or eliminate antidepressants if possible which would be advantageous. There are many other ingredients, but she suggests phasing in the diet slowly and see what you think.

Are you talking here about ordinary fish oil, as in Cod Liver Oil or Omega 3?

Also very interested in the seratonin and dopamine balance. I now take soy milk and drink about 8 cups of tea per day - maybe that's why I feel so celibate

It seems then that celibate people would have a lot to learn from this also, by upping the seratonin and reducing the dopamine it seems the celibate life would be a lot easier.

Is there a down side to not having a good dopamine level?

quote:
YB said: Many people have chronic low level inflammation in their bodies which is caused by the consumption of poor quality fats that produce inflammatory chemicals in our systems. Not to mention other dietary items that contribute as well.

The ratio of omega 3s to omega 6s is way out of balance in our society. Omega 6s produce inflammatory chemicals. Chronic inflammation is associated with every major cause of death in our society today. Cancer, stroke, heart attack, etc.

Any chance you could tell us a bit about the fats and what food they are in, that cause these inflammatory chemicals to form?

Thanks in advance
Louis

Edited by - Sparkle on Aug 04 2007 05:48:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2007 :  2:44:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Louis,

quote:
Louis wrote:

Is there a down side to not having a good dopamine level?

Yes, this is in fact, the definition of Parkinsons disease.

The brain loves dopamine and this is the receptor that cocaine plugs into. These receptors can proliferate when stimulated (a problem for the cocaine addict). I am assuming that ecstatic conductivity has something to do with this but I don't know for sure.

Epinephrine (in the brain) is associated with sustained tenacious attention and vigilence.

Seratonin is also associated with mood as most people are aware.

These chemicals are all produced in the brain stem.

So meditation is training the brainstem to function in an optimal way in one respect.

The brain stem is an important integration site the autonomic nervous system with the sympathetics integrating in the upper and the parasympathetics in the lower.

As far as fats go, current thought is that the best ones for you are virgin coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil and high quality fish/cod liver oil. Anything else is lower quality fuel except for ghee from grass fed cows. Good luck finding that.

One tablespoon of olive oil is the anti-inflammatory equivalent of 10 mgs. of advil. It is omega 9 mainly and is relatively neutral as far as inflammation goes.

Fish oil combined with tumeric (curcumin is the active ingredient and can be gotten in concentrated form) has the same effect on the inflammatory cascade pathways (inhibiting them) in the body as all of your nsaids drugs (advil, vioxx, celebrex, aspirin, etc.). But of course it is milder.

Commercial interests demonize good fat and glorify bad fat. Examples of this are margarine vs. butter and coconut and palm oils (low tech processed) vs. corn and soy oil.

During WWII, the supply of palm/coconut oils was cut off from the south seas so they started to convert corn and soy into oils to take their place. Of course, when the war was over, the corn and soy producers had to protect their financial interests and used bad science to vilify coconut and palm oil.

Corn and soy are the main culprits as they are so prevelent in our diets but it is vegetable oils in general that are sources of omega 6. It is not so much that omega 6s are bad. It is just that we consume so much of them in comparison to the omega 3s.

Louis , this article is a really good summary of fats and their effects on the body:

http://www.mercola.com/beef/omega3_oil.htm

You can search this site for more data.

Hope that helps out some.

Best, yb.

Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2007 :  6:17:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi yogibear

Thanks for the very informative reply.

I see also that low levels of dopamine can contrbute to ADHT.
quote:
From Wikapedia: Deficits in dopamine levels are implicated in Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder(ADHD), and stimulant medications used to successfully treat the disorder increase dopamine neurotransmitter levels, leading to decreased symptoms.

Also, too much dopamine apparently can have an adverse effect
quote:
Disruption to the dopamine system has also been strongly linked to psychosis and schizophrenia,[14] with abnormally high dopamine action apparently leading to these conditions. Dopamine neurons in the mesolimbic pathway are particularly associated with these conditions. Evidence comes partly from the discovery of a class of drugs called the phenothiazines (which block D2 dopamine receptors) that can reduce psychotic symptoms, and partly from the finding that drugs such as amphetamine and cocaine (which are known to greatly increase dopamine levels) can cause psychosis. Because of this, most modern antipsychotic medications are designed to block dopamine function to varying degrees.

Its the old story, moderation, moderation.

Thanks for that link, very informative. Just before I read it I was ordering an Indian take away (food, in case you call it something different there) and my wife would not have one because she said that Weightwatchers says that Indian food uses coconut oil which is the most fatty.
So I printed out the article about cocnut oil actually contributing to weight loss instead of weight gain and gave it to her. I may convert her yet .

quote:
Fish oil combined with tumeric (curcumin is the active ingredient and can be gotten in concentrated form) has the same effect on the inflammatory cascade pathways (inhibiting them) in the body as all of your nsaids drugs (advil, vioxx, celebrex, aspirin, etc.). But of course it is milder.
Are you recommending that tumeric be taken with fish oil and if so how?

It's difficult to know what is a normal healthy diet anymore. It seems, as you say, that there are so many vested interests pushing things at us, whether healthy or not, that growing your own veg etc has its attractions - think I'll have to wait for retirement for that though and then it will be too late

Am looking forward to reading Yogani's latest book on Diet

Cheers
Louis
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2007 :  9:56:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes avoiding fat is not the best way to lose fat. If you eat some healthy fats or oils, then exercise strenuously, your body will learn to burn fat, and you will lose weight. Coconut oil is a good fat to burn for energy. But if you avoid fats, your body will learn to burn protein and carbs. You will lose muscle tissue and the body will save the fat for emergencies!

Every body is a little different from the next, and no diet is good for everyone. You need to learn your metabolism type to find your best diet.

Edited by - Etherfish on Aug 05 2007 9:57:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  08:45:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ether

quote:
Every body is a little different from the next, and no diet is good for everyone. You need to learn your metabolism type to find your best diet.
Any idea on how the best way to go about this would be?
Can one read a book about it or does one have to be tested?

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  3:43:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Louis,
Yogani's new book on Diet, Shatkarmas and Amaroli answers your question...
quote:
Originally posted by Sparkle

Any idea on how the best way to go about this would be?
Can one read a book about it or does one have to be tested?

...really well.
Diet Shatkarmas Book Release Date?It is already available in the ebook format and the paperback should be available in a couple of weeks.

Edited by - Shanti on Aug 06 2007 3:47:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  7:44:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't read Yogani's book on diet yet, but I'm sure it's good.

Dr. Mercola's web page on metabolic typing:

http://www.mercola.com/2002/dec/18/...c_typing.htm

Here's an excerpt from that page:
First and foremost, there is no one diet that is right for everyone, i.e., there never has been and there never will be a universally healthy diet.
Second, the only healthy diet is the one that meets one's genetically-based requirements -- not what some book or diet expert says is right. Eat a diet that is right for your metabolic type and not only can you stay healthy but you can reverse degenerative conditions as well.
Third, there are no good foods and there are no bad foods, except in terms of foods that are right or wrong for your genetic makeup. Think meat is bad for you? Then how do you explain the Inuit (Eskimo) who eats up to 10 pounds of meat a day, yet there isn't even a word in their language for cancer or heart disease. Think a high carb diet is bad for you? Then how do you explain the Quetchus of South America or the East Indians who have lived for countless generations on a near vegetarian diet? Think dairy is bad for you? Then how do you explain the Swiss whose ancestral diet was largely based on dairy and rye?

and this page has them email a mini-course on metabolic typing:
http://www.mercola.com/forms/mt_test.htm

Of course, he wants you to buy his book for the whole story, but the money he makes is very well spent on medical research as you see if you browse around the huge website. He is very anti-prescription drugs and conventional treatments, and has plenty of scientific studies to back up all his beliefs.

Currently, I believe the alkaline diet to be closest to universally healthy, and there are many ways to implement it according to your metabolic type. See "The PH miracle", Robert O. Young Phd.
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2007 :  12:28:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Louis,

quote:
Are you recommending that tumeric be taken with fish oil and if so how?

Well, this combination is used as an alternative to Nsaids by some healthcare practitioners. Since I want the benefits of both these supplements, I take them both and this has the effects mentioned in the articles in this and my last post.

I take a teaspoon of Carlson's Cod Liver Oil ( I like this because it is a good source of Vitamin A and D) twice per day. That turns out to be about 3 grams of omega 3. I think the price is reasonable and it is toxin and heavy metal free. This is called "pharmaceutical grade." The liquid is cheaper than the capsules and you can store it in the frig. It tastes like a lemon drop without the tartness. My kids will eat it without any resistance.

You can find a couple other brands that are of similar superior quality, but you have to be careful because there are plenty that you would probably be better off not taking because of rancidity and impurities.

I think it is a good regimen for overall health.

You can buy the active ingredient of tumeric in concentrated capsule form. It is called curcumin. I take 2 of these per day as well. That is about 1700 mg.

Here is an article about curcumin.

http://www.mercola.com/2005/jan/15/...zheimers.htm

And another:

http://www.raysahelian.com/curcumin.html

quote:
It's difficult to know what is a normal healthy diet anymore.

Isn't that the truth! That is why I lean toward the paleolithic diet (or as Anthony 574 refers to it, the wildman diet) but prefer to still keep an open mind. It is based on a hard to dispute argument: Humans are designed to eat a particular diet by nature. When they deviate from it, sooner or later they start to have problems.

Example: You don't see farmers guarding the corn and wheat fields from the bobcats and mountain lions and wolves and coyotes and foxes. They are guarding the chicken coop and the corral.

Why? Because dogs and cats are designed and intended by nature to eat meat.

Then why are the food manufacturers convincing us that their grain based pet "foods" are suitable for carnivores?

How in the world can a cat have diabetes if it is eating its natural diet, i.e., a diet that is congruent with its genetics?

So this applies to humans, too. The question is, "what is a genetically congruent diet for a homo sap?" Lots of opinions.

quote:
Am looking forward to reading Yogani's latest book on Diet

Me, too. As you said,

quote:
Its the old story, moderation, moderation.

A moderate, “light and nutritious” diet.

“Using no way as way, having no limitation as limitation. “

Hope that helps some, yb.

Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2007 :  11:17:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the "best" overall attitutde towards eating is simplified by just saying:

1. Eat enough grains/nuts/legumes/beans
2. Eat enough vegetables
3. Eat enough fruit

I think one thing people neglect when thinking about health is what NOT to eat. There are sooo many ingredients in processed foods that are detrimental to ones health:

1. MSG (ie Monosodium Glutamate, Hydrolyzed...) Is classified as a nuerotoxin or an excitoxin and damages the nervous system and has been shown to lead to an earlier onset and aggravation of Parkinson's, Alzheimers, and other nuerological illnesses.

2. Trans-fats. I'm sure you guys have heard about those. It doesn't matter how healthy you eat, if you are eating ANYTHING hydrogenated you might as well give up because they not only raise levels of bad cholestorol, but also lower levels of good. Imagine that! And things that say "0 grams of Trans Fat" are not always true because the FDA actually allows companies to advertise the "0 grams" as long as the dosage is under 1g...which is actually a lot.

3. Artificial Sweeteners. Sorbitol, Maltitol, Aspartame, Splenda. Basically, anything without the word "sugar"

I'm so suprised at how few people read food labels. When reading the ingredients of some foods people eat it looks like I'm reading the Periodic Table of the Elements.

My general rule on eating is IF YOU CANNOT IDENTIFY 95-100% OF THE INGREDIENTS, DO NOT EAT IT.

So there you go, that is my four rules of dieting. Pretty simple I think. Just listen to your body.

Edited by - anthony574 on Aug 07 2007 12:02:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2007 :  08:55:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi
Great food for thought, will have to do more groundwork.

quote:
Shanti said: Hi Louis,
Yogani's new book on Diet, Shatkarmas and Amaroli answers your question...

I have since downloaded Yogani's book and have read some of it. Yes, it is a great read and puts a very well balanced perspective on diet in general and also, very importantly, in relation to the development of "inner silence".
People with diet problems, on reading this, could well be tempted to try Deep Meditation on this basis alone.

Ether, thanks for the info on Metabolic Types, very useful. Definately interested in this and will follow through.

Yogibear, thanks for the info on tumeric/curcimin, will start by encouraging the use of more tumeric in the home cooking.
The research seems to show some great benefits from using it. Preventing Alzheimer's alone is a good enough reason to take it.

Have to have a closer look at the paleolithic diet, it seems like a reasonable and well balanced approach.

Does the paleolithic diest allow for vegitarianism? as indicated by Anthony's list of:
2. Eat enough vegetables
3. Eat enough fruit

Anthony, I agree fully, it's often more about what we should not put in our mouths. I certainly qualify for this

Thanks everyone, have some research to do, as well as learning how to be a vegitarian cook

Cheers
Louis
Go to Top of Page

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  1:45:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So the most compelling thing about the book is that the author began to experience spontaneous kundalini awakenings by just following the diet alone!

I've been trying the diet for a bit and I'm not too into it so far, unfortunately. I'll try to follow the fish oil suggestion.

You can be a vegan while doing it just avoid soy, caffeine, alcohol, antidepressants, and you can take vegetarian DHA sources, but you have to take a lot of it... could be expensive.

She says that men have a much more difficult time following the diet than women do.

One diet doesn't fit all.

For best effect, the Orgasmic Diet really is designed for the high protein, high fat angle which hasn't agreed with me in the past.

At the doses she recommends, Cod liver oil is not the way to go as vitamin A & D toxicity could be an issue especially in the summer.

Also, when I do follow the orgasmic diet, there is an increase in sexual feelings that sometimes I'd rather not experience--I've got too many other things going on to process one more department.

So, conflicted thus far on it.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  10:18:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Does anyone know the reasoning or studies that show that soy should be avoided? If you try to follow a low meat diet, soy can be hard to avoid.
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  12:26:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi ether,

here is an article from mercola:

http://www.mercola.com/article/soy/index.htm

Let me know what you think.

Best, yb.
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  1:12:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Louis,

quote:
Does the paleolithic diest allow for vegitarianism? as indicated by Anthony's list of:
2. Eat enough vegetables
3. Eat enough fruit

The short answer is no. They say we have evolved for who knows how long with meat as a major part of our diet and that it is required by our bodies for optimum health. Meat includes, of course, fish and fowl.

Also, they say that grains and legumes are not part of our natural diet but that nuts and seeds are.

Best, yb.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000