AYPsite.org Forum
 Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 Transformation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2007 :  2:12:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Yogani asks the question: “yamas and niyamas. Should they be enforced from day one on the spiritual path, or allowed to rise naturally with the expansion of consciousness occurring from deep meditation, spinal breathing pranayama and other yoga practices?”

I don’t think I could self-impose and enforce changes of this nature. But I’ve noticed some changes in behavior and habits that I feel are a product of the continued AYP practices:

There is More:
Calm
Reasonableness
Tolerance
Patience
Desire for Transformation
Conscious desire to refrain from harming others either verbally or physically
Desire to assist others

It feels as if I interact with people differently than I used to. And here is a funny and wonderful thing: It seems as if I am being presented in this period, with chances to face some of the same struggles I’ve faced in the past and not handled well. As if it is another chance to grow by struggling through those same problems and this time, handle them differently. Specifically I’m speaking of relationships with family members, friends and people that I work with when disagreements and differences arise.

I am grateful for these opportunities in this life time rather than the next. I see them as a chance to grow and these relationships seem to have flowered as a result. More openness. More giving and sharing. More understanding. It seems like it really never is too late in our lives to transform from within, even on some small scale and that brings me joy.

Kathy

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2007 :  5:38:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kathy,

I think that you can work on it from both ends. The spontaneous arising of ethical behavior from meditation and the arising of ethical behavior from reflection and contemplation on the experiences of daily living from an ethical perspective without self condemnation. I think the latter results in realizations that free one from unethical habit patterns and alter future behavior and that this process can dovetail with and be amplified by meditation. The antiquated habit patterns drop away from us like ripe fruit from a tree once we see thru them completely. Both result in an expansion of consciousness.

Best, yb.
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2007 :  9:11:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I was reading something relating to this in a Ken Wilber book, Eye to Eye, and he was talking about the horizontal and vertical planes of evolution. Transformation is a vertical evolution, the ascension to a higher level, but there are several translations within the horizontal plane.
Go to Top of Page

salvation

19 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2007 :  12:47:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit salvation's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi nagoyasea

I think that Yogani doesn't enforce the "Yamas and niyamas". If you can't enforce them from day one,then you can later do that or just wait for them to occur naturally.But they are necessary for the spiritual progress.My experience is :

About the food :

I tried to enforce some of them from the day one but took some time to follow the first one But I kept trying it and finally after 5 months of constant tries, I could give up sweets,oily & spicy foods.Now I can live even without the vegetables for a month without feeling uncomfortable.

About the other forms of yoga :

I tried mainly "pranayam with bandhas" and some meditation.But my bhakti was also kept increasing.I also enjoy all the products you mentioned and they keep increasing to me.
Though I don't do much yogic practices, but "Yama & Niyamas" brought automatically other advantages in my life.

I have written this much only to show that this is the direct result of my practices of "Yama & Niyamas" So if you try to enforce them in your life, your spiritual progress can be faster many times.

As par Yogani: " Guru is within you " . So wake it up to order you..
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000