44 From: "satishc_1999" <satishc_1999@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Mar 4, 2005 0:38pm
Subject: Pranayam ans Vpassana satishc_1999
Send Email

Hi every one.......
i would like to know "Pranayam" where one tries to control or modify
natural breating pattern is better than "Vipassana" practice wherein
one initially just observes how breathing changes with 'extrnal
conditions' and then one learns how the breathing can be conditioned.
......thanks a lot.......

58 From: Ashwin Sun <ashwinjlsun@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat Mar 5, 2005 2:41pm
Subject: Re: Pranayam ans Vpassana ashwinjlsun
Send Email

Pranayama and Vipassana feed and support each other
well... They both bring an increase in awareness, and
a fuller 'presence'..

Ashwin

--- satishc_1999 <satishc_1999@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>
> Hi every one.......
> i would like to know "Pranayam" where one tries to
> control or modify
> natural breating pattern is better than "Vipassana"
> practice wherein
> one initially just observes how breathing changes
> with 'extrnal
> conditions' and then one learns how the breathing
> can be conditioned.
> ......thanks a lot.......
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

61 From: MachoNirvana <maheshsk17@yahoo.co.in>
Date: Sun Mar 6, 2005 2:35am
Subject: Re: Pranayam ans Vpassana maheshsk17
Send Email

Hi satish,

Vipassana doesnt deal with controlling the breath it is only observation and at all stages there is no stage wherein you wl try controlling it.

Lateron in vipassana after that AnaPanna, you will observer the biochemical reactions and sences on your body and you will observe it and be equanimous thats vipassana.

Hope now its clear to you about vipassana, pranayama has no link with vipassana and you cant compare them at all.becoz pranayama deals with and with only breath control.

satishc_1999 <satishc_1999@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi every one.......
i would like to know "Pranayam" where one tries to control or modify
natural breating pattern is better than "Vipassana" practice wherein
one initially just observes how breathing changes with 'extrnal
conditions' and then one learns how the breathing can be conditioned.
......thanks a lot.......

msanjay75

India
2 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2005 :  11:33:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit msanjay75's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Satish,

Since I have practiced both Pranayaama as well as Vipassana, here is an answer based on my limited experience.

I would say neither is "better" - it depends on what you are looking for. I present my views here, and hope that will help you in finding your own answer to the question.

In a nutshell, I would say Pranayaama gave me results very quickly. Vipassana is something that needed some time and patience to learn.

So I suggest one could learn both - try Pranayaama first for some time - see and experience its benefits. It can make one feel very energetic and can give one very powerful experiences, esp when done regularly, for a prolonged period of time of say atleast half an hour each day. Often very pleasant conditions get created - and its beneficial effect can last for almost the whole day. Because it involves slight physical intervention like placing our hand over the nostrils and systematic breathing, it is preferably practiced or at some particular convenient circumstances, ideally sitting in a secluded place.

Then one can consider learning Vipassana in a 10 day course (http://www.dhamma.org/code.htm). Here the idea is to see things "as they are", with no external manipulation. I agree with Mahesh's explanation - here the idea is to be completely non-judgemental. One learns to *accept* things exactly as they already *now* are. As one learns to develop the sensitivity to observe things at a subtler and subtler level, one learns that even without specially creating any circumstances, whatever is already happening *now* is quite extraordinary by itself! :-) A high level of energy is merely a probable consequence, but not the objective. So irrespective of whether one is feeling very energetic or not, one still feels very much at "one with oneself" - a fuller presence, as Ashwin has put. Over time, one can extend the practice to beyond the daily sittings, for example I am practicing now even as I type this post. Ideally, as practice stabililises over time, it can be done [to be precise, there is nothing to do, it just happens] 24 hours a day. As it is a completely inconspicuous background activity, there is minimal dependency on any special circumstances for the practice.

Best wishes,
Sanjay

"Every day we are born again, what we do today is what matters the most"

Edited by - msanjay75 on Jul 15 2005 12:26:03 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000