Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Spinal breathing flashes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2007 :  10:17:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I began doing Spinal Breathing a few days ago. I have become better at visualizing the nerve running from the root to the third eye. A couple of times, especially when I find I am visualizing quite well and am focused, I notice behind my eyelids or maybe in my head there is this very fast flashing of light, sort of like a strobe. I get excited and my heartrate rises and it goes away and I have trouble getting it back. Now, the thing is, I do meditate in front of a small tea candle and I was wondering if maybe it was flickering and I was seeing it through my eyelids...but it really never flickers and sometimes when it would happen I would open my eyes and I would not see the candle moving at all. The mystery is consuming me and I was wondering if it is normal to see flashes of strong light when visualizing the ajna chakra? Thanks.

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2007 :  11:39:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anthony,

Glad to hear in the other thread that you have started with deep meditation! This technique is considered the most basic one to achieve long-term purification of the nervous system and leading to higher consciousness. Since all the techniques in AYP are very effective, even if we may not feel that outwardly at first, it's important that we get well established and stable in one practice before we add another one. Many practitioners consider (few to several) weeks or months to be appropriate time frames to allow for getting comfortably stable. So, you may want to reconsider before adding spinal breathing to meditation at such an early stage.

About inner lights or flashes, they can occur at any stage of practice, and are usually best to be disregarded, or at least not seen as specifically important. They don't indicate any measure of progress, and are sometimes called "scenery". If the attention gets drawn to any phenomena during the practice, the guideline is to just get back (with attention) on the practice again. If phenomena get too intense or distracting there can be reason for self-pacing, and step back a little in our routine.

Best wishes!
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4382 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  03:00:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anthony,
I agree with Weaver, his advice IMO is perfect.

But... just to get a little lost in the scenery for the fun of it... does the speed of the flashing ever change? Is it always in your direct vision, or does it ever move? Does it come only during spinal breathing, or when you meditate as well? Does it ever come when you do not light the candle?

Christi
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  12:11:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It only seems to come during pranayama, very quick flashes but when I notice them I get excited and they go away...same problem I have with astral projection, but it's hard NOT to get excited about such a strange phenomena!

So you really think I should forgo Spinal Breathing for now? Maybe you are right, I am just looking forward to experiencing some kind of real phenemenon, although I know it is not the goal of AYP, to really motivate me in that seeing-is-believing aspect. Though I believe, it would be great to really EXPERIENCE something. Will I get this satisfaction out of just meditating? I felt pranayaam would more quickly yeild "results".
Go to Top of Page

jillatay

USA
206 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  2:45:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillatay's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When I was on a 10 day retreat 3 years ago, I had some "scenery" that was very scary at the time. I closed my eyes while just blinking at the end of one day and saw a random pattern like the screen on a TV when there is no signal, just black and white speckles vibrating rapidly. I was afraid to close my eyes the whole night but had to sleep.

The Buddhist nun running the retreat told me these things happen but I had never heard of it. When I stopped feeling so afraid I noticed it could be "shaped" by my thoughts. I got entertained by this and eventually fell asleep.

These things can be quite startling because it does confirm things are not always as consensus reality believes.

Some day you will look back on this and shrug as no big deal, I pretty much guarantee it.

Many happy blessings,
Jill

Edited by - jillatay on Apr 14 2007 3:43:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  5:04:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, Anthony, I posted this a while back:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=1855

It could be related to the eye fluttering of the REM Sleep State that is being brought into conscious awareness:

VIL

Edited by - VIL on Apr 14 2007 5:07:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4382 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2007 :  04:02:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anthony,
quote:
So you really think I should forgo Spinal Breathing for now? Maybe you are right, I am just looking forward to experiencing some kind of real phenemenon, although I know it is not the goal of AYP, to really motivate me in that seeing-is-believing aspect. Though I believe, it would be great to really EXPERIENCE something. Will I get this satisfaction out of just meditating? I felt pranayaam would more quickly yeild "results".

Well, the "official advice" from AYP is to add one new practice at a time, and wait a good while (like months) until you feel comfortable with it, and until you feel stable before adding a new practice. And then add one more if you feel ready.
But... ... you sound real keen, and if I were you I would continue with the asana, spinal breathing and deep meditation routine and see how it goes. Don't come running to me though if you get more than you asked for. If it does get too much you could always cut back on the asanas and spinal breathing, or cut them out altogether for a while. Whatever you choose to do, you should certainly become very stable in these practices before adding any other pranayama practices such as kumbakha or bastrika. These are the "big movers" when it comes to prana (and kundalini), so take care.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2007 :  1:12:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, at this point, I feel very little is in fact happening, though I have faith it is subtle work being done. Is it at all dangerous to do Spinal Breathing for 5-10 mins before meditation? I don't know why, even though I don't feel any palpable sensations, I seem to enjoy the practice. Are there any "symptoms" I should look out for that will indicate that I should maybe just stick to meditation?
Go to Top of Page

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2007 :  1:47:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anthony,

No, it's of course not dangerous to do spinal breathing before meditation, even at an early stage. Like Christi said, as long as you know that it's possible that you may invite some instability, you can of course try and see how it goes. We always learn best by experimentation and by testing things. Just keep in mind that effects can be delayed, so even if you don't feel anything now, it may pile up later, as an effect of what you do now. But, then, if that happens, you can just step it down by self-pacing. On the other hand, it's possible that you already have a good amount of stability in the nervous system, so both practices can work well together even as a beginner. If you get symptoms of instability, they can manifest as emotions, thoughts, or as energies.

Looking forward to hear how it works out!
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2007 :  10:12:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think my problem now ever since it happened is that now I do SB with the intention of inducing or observing the flashes, I believe most obviously to achieve a sort of validation of the practice. I know if I see the flashes again and can prove it was not some sort of light interference my self-doubting tendencies will be conquered. I think this has been hindering my progress with SB...but I have taken the advice of this thread and focused primarily on DM. I still do SB, but I don;t worry about it as much. I am finding I am having success with DM so I will concentrate on that for a while.
Go to Top of Page

kadak

79 Posts

Posted - May 03 2007 :  12:37:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anthony574, these flashes, as you describe them, are likely to be the sign of the first wind (earth) dissolving in the central channel. There are 7.
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - May 04 2007 :  10:17:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I;m not sure i understand that
Go to Top of Page

Swami Vajra

42 Posts

Posted - May 04 2007 :  12:24:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Swami Vajra's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by anthony574

I know if I see the flashes again and can prove it was not some sort of light interference my self-doubting tendencies will be conquered.

You've already done this, peeked and saw the flame was not moving, remember? Yet your mind is still babbling about it. Snap that leash of control on the mind with your practices and suddenly the little monkey will be doing things purely to entertain you and not jumping around out of control.

Perhaps that is worth pondering.

May all your efforts be richly blessed!
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - May 04 2007 :  1:08:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, there seems to be an automatic skeptic and doubter in my mind no matter what the effort is. I try to think of it as a little obstacle god put there to see if I could overcome it...it truly feels that way sometimes.

I could levitate and then ponder "did I really just levitate? I think there might have just been a heavy draft..."
Go to Top of Page

kadak

79 Posts

Posted - May 04 2007 :  3:45:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi anthony,
according to the tibetan system, there are 7 winds in the body, 4 gross winds and 3 subtle winds, which support ordinary and subtle consciousness. When you meditate (or when you sleep), these winds are supposed to enter and dissolve in the central channel. There is one sign for each wind, and the stroboscope is the first sign. So, don't bother, there are 6 other ones, before you reach perfect emptiness (which is called "clear light" in the tibetan system)...
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4382 Posts

Posted - May 05 2007 :  03:50:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kadak
quote:
Hi anthony,
according to the tibetan system, there are 7 winds in the body, 4 gross winds and 3 subtle winds, which support ordinary and subtle consciousness. When you meditate (or when you sleep), these winds are supposed to enter and dissolve in the central channel. There is one sign for each wind, and the stroboscope is the first sign. So, don't bother, there are 6 other ones, before you reach perfect emptiness (which is called "clear light" in the tibetan system)...

Very interesting.
I was just wondering, what are the signs that appear with the disolving of the other 6 winds in the cerntral channel?

Christi
Go to Top of Page

kadak

79 Posts

Posted - May 05 2007 :  10:36:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit kadak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi,
gross signs :
1) the first one is said to be a mirage, but it appears as a stroboscope with a very quick image hidden in the middle. Usually you see only the white lights. (earth wind)
2) the second is a blue whirling (water wind)
3) the third is sparkles (fire wind)
4) the 4th is said to be a vanishing candle (air wind)
subtle signs (for subtle winds) :
5) bright white light
6) bright red/orange light
7) black light
The signs are brighter in the sleep than in the waking state.
After the black light comes what is called the Clear Light.
There are different kinds of Clear Light, depending on where and how completely the winds dissolved in the central channel.

Edited by - kadak on May 05 2007 10:51:49 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000