Enlightenment Milestones
 wondering what happened
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jillatay

USA
206 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  3:19:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillatay's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I am just coming out of a few days of something hard to describe. I had to do a little self pacing recently and read one of Yogani's posts about it. He said that sometimes you can say the mantra less often and then be aware where the energies run in the body. This combined with the Pranayama was helping a lot. I was feeling much more loving and happy.

After only a couple of sessions, the next day I was resting in bed and had this feeling in my body that is hard to describe, like I was fuller or more grounded or something. When I tuned into the feeling it was very pleasant, not blissful, but very inviting. I wasn't meditating, just being with it, and felt the familiar pressure in my head. It stayed with me for three days and I could tune into it at any time. However, if I did for more than just a minute or two I would get the pressure thing. But I really wanted to investigate it and find out what it was.

So one question lately is, what doesn't cause overload? If I read too much, or "try" to relax or almost anything that is involved, I get symptoms in my head and little zaps or tingles. I really don't want to overload because I have three grandkids I am trying to raise and can't crack up or miss sleep. I sorta have to function cause these kids are really messed up from neglect. Also, I don't want to spend days getting back to normal.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Jill

Christi

United Kingdom
4383 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2007 :  5:01:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jill,

I know that feeling. Like a presense or a fullness, both in the body and surrounding us. It can come at any time, and then go again. I am watching it now to try and see what it is. I think it is our consciousnes beginning to expand beyond the normal perception of reality, and becoming aware of another aspect of our existance (he says, being uncharacteristically vague).
It can feel powerful (in the sense of being a power), and it can become very overwhelming at times, even to the point of appearing to paralyse the body. This means that it can become so strong that we cannot move any part of our body. But don't worry.. that's probably a bit down the road, and in my experience, that kind of thing (the paralysis) doesn't last very long, usually not more than a few minutes unless we are in Samadhi. Whenever I read one of Katrine's posts on this forum, this presence comes, and I usually become paralysed for a while.

Please don't think I am trying to scare you in any way here... this has been happening to me for years, and there has never once been a time when I thought, "I really would have liked to have done.. x... but I couldn't because I was paralysed by the presence". It is in no way a debilitation, in fact I believe, the more it comes, and the stronger it becomes, the more we are able to be (in the moment) and do (in the world).

I don't think this experience is a sign of overdoing practices. I count it as one of the blessings of our practice (yoga), like love and joy and freedom and peace. It won't harm you, and it won't stop you from looking after your grandchildren. You're just becoming more aware of something, something really amazing and beautiful.

The pressure in the head thing is a sign of overdoing, if you feel uncomfortable with it. When we are on the edge of going over, as you say, almost anything can be too much. Relxing, reading, writing, watching television, noticing the fullness/presence, thinking about infinity... anything that calms the body or the mind can cause the energy to build up to uncomfortable levels, with a sore head being one of the most anoying first symptoms.

So... cut back on practice times... take a day off... read up on the grounding techniques :
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=2165

... or get a friend to read them to you whilst you dig the garden.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

jillatay

USA
206 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2007 :  8:48:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillatay's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Christi,

It didn't seem that the fullness/presence felt like overload. What felt like overload was giving my full attention to it for more than a half hour or so. I had to pull myself away because I wanted to "go into it" but knew I'd pay later.

Thanks for the reassurance. This is what is so wonderful about having a forum like this. We as practitioners can have such blessed spiritual friends to help us along the way.

Many happy blessings,
Jill
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000