Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 The importance of diet and enlightenment?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mattimo

25 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2007 :  10:04:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello all,

I was simply wondering what some of your views are on the importance of diet and enlightenment (as th title suggests). Is it beneficial to adhere to a vegetarian diet and avoid "the five pungent spices" which the Buddha speaks of? And if a vegetarian diet is followed, where would one get their essential omega 3 fats from?

I am interested to here your opinions, or even what kind of diets the members here follow.

Thank you

Edit: My post just got moved to this sub-forum - I didn't know it existed. I, therefore, read over some of the posts regarding the question of a vegetarian diet I found in this sub-forum. I won't be disappointed if no one replies but if someone does, that's great.

Edited by - Mattimo on Mar 03 2007 10:31:30 AM

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2007 :  11:10:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Mattimo

Hello all,

I was simply wondering what some of your views are on the importance of diet and enlightenment (as th title suggests). Is it beneficial to adhere to a vegetarian diet and avoid "the five pungent spices" which the Buddha speaks of? And if a vegetarian diet is followed, where would one get their essential omega 3 fats from?

Mattimo - Flax oil is a great source of Omega 3. Not meant for cooking, but delicious on rice + veggies.

There are many reasons why people don't become enlightened, but I doubt that diet is one of them. However, if one is on a spiritual path heading in the general direction of enlightenment, it's likely that at some point one's diet will alter to suit the needs of the body as it detoxes and seeks to 'lighten'. The beauty of it is that it's all free will; you're free to eat meat or not and then change that along the way if you choose. I've been vegetarian for many years, but if at some point in the future my body needs some solid, meaty protein, I'll eat meat. Maybe.
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2007 :  11:12:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mattimo.

I don’t know if you have read what Yogani has to say about diet if not look here

Lesson 30 - Meditation Q&A – Diet

Yogani also gives some Ayurveda Diet Guidelines here

Ayurveda Diet Guidelines

Hope this helps Richard
Go to Top of Page

Mattimo

25 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2007 :  11:37:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey thanks a lot of the replies.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000