Member Announcements - Events, Classes & Retreats
 AYP & Outside Retreats
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

trip1

USA
739 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  10:44:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit trip1's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Over the next few months, I will be attending two retreats. The first one is with Sally Kempton from the Siddha Yoga tradition, and the second with Adyashanti, whose background is in Zen. The retreats are three and six days, respectively.

My question is this. Do I still practice my AYP routine in addition to what is being taught at the retreat, or do I leave it behind for the time I am there and pick it back up upon my return home?

On one side of the equation, I'm worried that after a year and a half of twice daily AYP practices, the last thing I want to do is stop for even a few days, even if they are being replaced with other (possibly similar) practices for that time. On the other side, what is the point of attending an outside retreat if I'm not going to fully immerse myself in the teachings for the time I am there?

I'm definitely struggling a bit with this one. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Namaste,
Brett

yogani

USA
5196 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  10:54:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Brett:

I was recently asked the same question about an Adyashanti retreat, and here is what I wrote, which can apply to any retreat involving another teaching and/or practice routine:
--------------------------

Hi:

Depending on how intensive the specific practice routine at the retreat is, you might consider cutting back to short (maybe very short) deep meditations only -- to "honor the habit." That way it will not be a strain either during the retreat or getting started again with AYP practices afterward. In other words, self-pace it.

You can also ask Adyashanti what he suggests, as I am sure others will be there with practice routines from other traditions. Being the advaita (non-dual) guy that he is, he might say, "Forget practices," though he did a lot of them himself to get the to the "no-practice" mode. It is one of those Buddhist koans -- you don't need practices, except to get there, though there is no place to get to.

Looking forward to doing the Self-Inquiry book this spring, where the advaita versus yoga practices (non-dual versus dual) stuff will be addressed from an AYP point of view (for a taste, see here).

I will be very interested in new perspectives you find on the retreat. Do let me know. (Feedback is welcome here in the forum, of course.)

Have a great retreat!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

trip1

USA
739 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  5:29:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit trip1's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Yogani.
Go to Top of Page

Hunter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  6:47:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hunter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Brett,
I hope you really enjoy your retreats and have fun.

Hunter
Go to Top of Page

Guy_51

USA
170 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  11:59:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Guy_51's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All:

The one thing that hits me in my gut is very simple. Why don't we have an AYP retreat or just a one or two day gathering where we could meet share ideas do meditation eat and drink together. I realize we all have other commitments and obligations but couldn't we find a common location where we could meet for a very short period of time to connect. I think it would be good for AYP. And good for us. Maybe Philly, Boston, New York, Chicago, Atlanta, Tampa, Jacksonville, If your intrested maybe we could start a conversation regarding time, date, place, just thinking out loud.
One or Two days.

We Are One

Guy
Go to Top of Page

Guy_51

USA
170 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2007 :  12:17:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Guy_51's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
PS I've only met live one person from AYP and that was a very short 30 min. But I can say with total and full confidence, It was a very special 30 mins.
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2007 :  11:01:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Brett - Lucky you to be attending a retreat with Adyashanti. I looked online to find out the availability in my area, and he's booked solidly for just about ever. When you're fully back from the retreat, I'd love to hear how it went, your impressions, etc.

Guy - Great idea. Let me know if/when you're interested in putting something like that together. I too have had several AYP encounters, all of which were very special to me. Can you imagine a room full of us? :) Let's keep the discussion going, and maybe we'll make it happen.
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2007 :  12:04:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Brett,

I attended a retreat with Miguel Ruiz for 5 days last summer and continued with my twice daily AYP routine throughout the entire retreat. They had us do a variety of exercises, some of which were meditations, so what I did was what Yogani suggested above and shortened my AYP sessions in order to maintain some sense of balance.

I wasn't entirely successful, as I was definitely well over in the energy department pretty much from day 1. After the first evening I got that "inner sunburn" feeling and other symptoms of over-purification, I attributed it to the high energy of the group and Miguel himself as we hadn’t even done any meditations etc. by that point. Though the whole experience had moments of physical discomfort due to being well "over", I have to say I have rarely experienced a bigger expansion of awareness as I did from the experience of the retreat.

The symptoms of over-doing were most intense at the beginning of the retreat and balanced out somewhat by the end. By the time I was home the next day everything had returned to normal.

Hope this helps and have a great time!

Anthem11
Go to Top of Page

trip1

USA
739 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2007 :  10:50:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit trip1's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the comments everyone! The retreat with Sally Kempton begins on Thursday so the info will definitely be coming in handy.

Regarding an AYP gathering, you can count me in and I would also be happy to help out on the organizing and planning side of things. An annual AYP gathering would be great.

Meg- The Adyashanti retreat isn't until May, but I will be sure to post a full report upon my return. I did attend a two day intensive with him about six months back, but I think that was only a small taste of what the retreat will be. Greatly looking forward to it.

On that note, I'd love to read other retreat reviews as well so everyone please feel free to share your experiences.

Namaste,
Brett
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000