Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Difficulties with neck vertebra
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wolfgang

Germany
470 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2007 :  06:50:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hopefully this topic is in the correct category

Recently I am aware of a lot of noise in my neck vertebraes
(no, the vertebraes don't make the noise by themselves )
The noise I hear comes when I am doing stretching exercises
like turning the head real wide around, clockwise, anticlockwise,
nodding slowly up and down, sideways left and right.
The vertebrae are really cracking quite intensly and I am
a bit worried that I could overdo the stretching.
Those crackling sounds are making me a bit uneasy.
Does anybody have some advice on this ?

Love and Light
Wolfgang

Christi

United Kingdom
4382 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  02:04:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Wolfgang,
I just wanted to mention that crackling sounds at the top of the neck are classic symptoms of kundalini energy. I used to get it a lot, but at any time, not just when I moved my neck.
Christi
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  09:04:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Recently I am aware of a lot of noise in my neck vertebraes
(no, the vertebraes don't make the noise by themselves )

Hi Wolfgang well In my case the vertebrates do make a noise by themselves,
I call it..Snap, Crackle , and Pop. and sometimes it is very loud...loud enough to pull me straight out of meditation.

As Christi says its a classic Kundalini (purification) symptom..a sign of energy movement that's all.

In your case it seems to be happening only when you move your head, everyone is different and we can all experience these things in different ways, so unless there is any significant pain involved I would guess its all the same thing.

If there is significant pain, don't take any risks cut back straight away on neck pump or anything that involves putting strain on the neck and go get it checked out at the docs.

Richard

Edited by - Richard on Feb 13 2007 09:18:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

blujett8

USA
47 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  09:26:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi wolfgang

I too used to have a lot of cracking in my neck...popping and such, for years, and I started to accept it as normal....now it's gone. I think I've had a lot of lengthening in the neck area in the past year....more spaceous all around !
best of luck to you!
Heather
Go to Top of Page

Thokar

USA
45 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  12:05:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thokar's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I seem to remember reading somewhere in literature on spinal breathing (kriya tradition) that a sign that you are doing pranayama correctly is the popping of the upper vertebrae especially the ones in the area of the heart center... for a while during my practice id even pay attention to whether the vertebrae would crackle and pop or not as a sign if I was doing it correctly.. this may or may not have been the case but nevertheless I'm glad to hear that others have experienced the same thing...
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  3:36:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
How could this kundalini cracking avoid being mixed with "normal cracking" occuring to release tension caused by tightened muscles that pulls the vertebraes in the wrong position? I have cracked my neck all my life. Naprapates recommend not to bend and crack the tensions lose, it only worsen the situation in the long run. Instead one should gently stretch the muscles regularly to help the neck relax and try to avoid cracking. Too much cracking can cause overmobility resulting in even more problems, since the muscles would have to work even more in their attempt to keep the vertebraes in place...
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  3:45:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
How could this kundalini cracking avoid being mixed with "normal cracking" occuring to release tension caused by tightened muscles that pulls the vertebraes in the wrong position?

It feels different somehow EMC.

The best way i can describe it is with Snap, Crackle, and pop, and it happens without any movement at all most of the time.

Richard

Edited by - Richard on Feb 13 2007 3:47:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Wolfgang

Germany
470 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2007 :  01:50:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by emc

How could this kundalini cracking avoid being mixed with "normal cracking" occuring to release tension caused by tightened muscles that pulls the vertebraes in the wrong position? I have cracked my neck all my life. Naprapates recommend not to bend and crack the tensions lose, it only worsen the situation in the long run. Instead one should gently stretch the muscles regularly to help the neck relax and try to avoid cracking. Too much cracking can cause overmobility resulting in even more problems, since the muscles would have to work even more in their attempt to keep the vertebraes in place...

Thanks emc,
I feel you described very well my situation and I will be careful
to not do too much crackling.

Love and Light
Wolfgang
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000