Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Spinal Breathing question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2007 :  1:53:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi
Two of the people in my group meditation have said that when they are tracing the spine in their minds they don't get up as far as the the brow. They feel going faster will skip over things and reduce the quality of the SP.

I am reluctant to discougage them from taking their time going up the spine although initially I suggested they regulate the speed to the length of their breath.
It is only on the in-breath they have this problem.

I thought about suggesting to go up as far as they can in a thorough way and then down again. On the next breath go quickly up to where they left off and continue. And so on.
I have tired this myself and it feels ok.

What do people think - this has probably been answered before but I can't find it.
Thanks
Louis

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2007 :  2:35:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Louis

These two posts may answer your question have a look and see what you think

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....ID=1088#6492
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....ID=1088#6494

Hope this helps

Richard
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2007 :  2:42:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Louis:

It is good to end up at the brow and the root at the completion of inhalation and exhalation.

The bogging down that can happen in spinal breathing is due to obstructions encountered, and subsequent purification occurring in the nervous system during practice. Good things are happening, and it will clear up in time.

In the meantime, if we get bogged down going up or down (it can happen either way), we can jump to the brow or root as the breathing cycle is ending in that direction, no matter where we happen to be. So we can always end up at the brow or root, regardless of any bogging down that may be happening in-between. With this approach the clearing of the area in-between brow and root will be facilitated from both ends in every cycle. As anyone with ecstatic conductivity coming up can verify by direct experience, the brow and root are primary instigators of purification in the spinal nerve, so it is very good to touch them both in every cycle of spinal breathing.

What you suggested may also work, though there is the possiblility that the brow will not be reached on the next try either. It will be easier to make the full leap in the current cycle than to save a partial leap for the next cycle. That way we will cover the full distance in every cycle, and can be purifying the full spinal nerve in-between root and brow as we continue.

It is always a matter of personal choice, of course, but the procedure of spinal breathing is to easily favor the journey up and down the full length of spinal nerve whenever we realize we have been wandering or bogging down. Purification occurs as we pass through obstructed areas. In fact, allowing ourselves to pass through, no matter how quickly, is an essential dynamic of the release. It is a letting go! This is the essence of spinal bastrika also, which is very fast and brings an additional dynamic into the practice routine.

So, it is perfectly okay (right procedure) to jump to the brow or root as our breath is reaching the end of its cycle. Spinal breathing can be relatively dynamic like that. We are playing both ends through the middle. To do that, it is important to be establishing our position at both ends in every breathing cycle.

The AYP Spinal Breathing Pranayama book offers more pointers on this and related experiences.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

PS: Thanks much for pulling those posts up, Richard. The more ways we can cover it, the better.
Go to Top of Page

Zelebe

Netherlands
35 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2007 :  4:11:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Louis, Richard and Yogani,
I myself also have been experiencing sometimes difficulties moving through areas of the spinal nerve while doing the pranayama. Thanks for the pointers and explanation!
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2007 :  5:23:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Richard and Yogani, that's very clear and well explained.
I will print out the explaination and read it to the group tomorrow evening.

Hi Zelebe, good to hear it's answered your question also. Hope things are going well for you.

Louis

Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2007 :  6:03:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Louis

Its great that you have got your group up and running

I wish you all success with it

Richard
Go to Top of Page

neerja1

India
22 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2007 :  06:50:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit neerja1's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Everyone,

This thread has been quite informative especially for newcomers like me..Thanks to all of you for your precious time... Just like Zelebe, I too have been experiencing difficulties (?)moving through certain areas during Pranayam since last one week or so..before that it was a perfectly smooth running of the breath up and down with no obstruction anywhere..why does it happen so? Where from do the obstructions come when the breathing has been smooth between the root seat and the ajna...does it mean the purification was not complete earlier...I used to think once the spinal nerve is purified enough there would be no obstructions at all...are the thoughts creating the obstructions....oops can anyone please throw some light on this, very basic it may sound though..

Thanks to all of you,

Neerja1
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2007 :  09:21:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by neerja1

I too have been experiencing difficulties (?)moving through certain areas during Pranayam since last one week or so..before that it was a perfectly smooth running of the breath up and down with no obstruction anywhere..why does it happen so? Where from do the obstructions come when the breathing has been smooth between the root seat and the ajna...does it mean the purification was not complete earlier...I used to think once the spinal nerve is purified enough there would be no obstructions at all...

Hi Neerja1,
Let me see if I can explain this. Yogani explains obstructions as...

quote:
Lesson 103–Destiny and free will
Karma/samskaras/obstructions embedded in our nervous system are what
stand between us and divine experience. Spiritual practices are for
stimulating the nervous system to purify itself, removing the
obstructions
-Yogani

Each one of us has an unique matrix of obstructions within us that we need to dissolve with our practice.

quote:
Lesson 15 - Meditation Q&A – Restlessness
We are facilitating lifetimes of obstructions to be
released naturally from deep within us. These are stresses and
strains embedded in our nervous system that restrict our vision of
the truth in and around us. Some restrictions we were born with.
Others we have added in this life. It all is being released bit by
bit during meditation. It is a huge undertaking, with profound
results.
-Yogani

As we continue with our practice and dissolve a few obstructions, few more obstructions that are embedded below will now surface.. and as we continue with our practice, we will dissolve this layer, to expose further layers. It's like peeling off layers of an onion..

quote:
Lesson 53 - Pranayama Q&A – Light and sound
In our current practices we are doing two things. First, in pranayama, we are purifying and opening the spinal nerve, which, in turn, cultivates all the nerves in our body. Second, in meditation, we are permeating our entire body with pure, silent bliss consciousness. From these two actions, everything else comes up. How and when it comes up is a function of the unique process of purification going on in our nervous system. It is unique because we each have our own distribution of inhibiting obstructions embedded in our nervous system. How it comes out is anyone’s guess. But it will come out if we keep doing pranayama and meditation.
-Yogani

So although you may feel completely contended with your practice today.. tomorrow you may get bombarded with a whole lot of symptoms of purification (with a structured and self paced practice this bombardment may not really be very hard to handle).. that is a round of obstructions dissolving.
The obstruction you feel now during spinal breathing, will dissolve in time, only to reveal some new ones. Even after years of practice, people go through phases when some new obstructions surface, and that is when we need to self pace, let the obstruction dissolve and then continue.
Does this help?

Edited by - Shanti on Feb 11 2007 10:08:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

neerja1

India
22 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2007 :  05:13:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit neerja1's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Shanti, it's been a great help...you made it so simple and clear...I can very well continue with my practices at peace..
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000