Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Mantra and witnessing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mrjones

Australia
8 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2024 :  10:46:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

Thanks a lot for this great site, the teachings and this forum. They've all been incredibly helpful.

One question I have though.

During deep meditation, I sometimes become aware of witnessing the repetition of the mantra. My attention shifts "back" to the witnessing while continuing to repeat the mantra.

Should I ignore the witness and just try to stay focussed on the mantra, or should I allow myself to be in the witness being aware of the repetition of the mantra?

Thanks

Christi

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2024 :  07:49:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mrjones,

Welcome to the forums!

There is one easy phrase to remember which is: "Easily favour the mantra over anything else that is going on". So, if you notice something happening, pretty much anything happening, then you can easily favour the mantra with your attention over that. That does not mean to push anything away, or stop anything from happening, it is simply a question of where most of the attention is placed.

The main exception to this, is the procedure in lesson 15 which describes what to do if there is an especially painful, or uncomfortable experience that prevents us from easily favouring the mantra.

Go to Top of Page

mrjones

Australia
8 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2024 :  09:04:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your reply Christi.

The thing is, when the witness arises I'm still aware of the mantra, but sometimes it seems to become physically distant. It's like my awareness (which is the witness) is aware that I'm hearing the mantra. On the other hand, I could ignore the witness and try to bring myself (which is the witness anyway) 'closer' onto the mantra. This is where I'm confused. It's really the location from where to be aware of the mantra - in the witness or the identification with my mind itself.

In both cases there's awareness on the mantra. So should I ignore the witness or remain aware from it?

I hope that's clear. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2024 :  4:14:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mrjones,

Simply be aware of the mantra from where you are. It is not important if the mantra seems far away, or nearby. If you notice yourself wondering where you should be aware from, then easily favour the mantra over that thought. If you are wondering about mind identification, then as soon as you notice that you are wondering about mind identification, favour the mantra with your attention, over that thought.

Gradually, the mind will become peaceful and calm and all these things will no longer seem relevant.
Go to Top of Page

mrjones

Australia
8 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2024 :  7:29:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
> It is not important if the mantra seems far away, or nearby

OK thanks
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2024 :  06:04:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear mrjones,

What Christi is pointing out here is that if you find yourself wondering about such things during meditation, it means you have gone off into thoughts and you should simply go back to favouring the mantra.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

mrjones

Australia
8 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2024 :  11:22:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I understand. I'm wondering about it now though. During the meditation I just went with it.
Go to Top of Page

dcame

Canada
11 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2024 :  3:58:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit dcame's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
mrjones, there are many, many forms of mantra practice. What you do may be a legitimate tradition. It's just that it's not what's being taught here.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000