Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Comfortable meditation posture
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zelebe

Netherlands
35 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2007 :  4:36:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I never imagined I would be ever liking the meditation sit! I started out just simply with the cross legged position, on the floor, on a soft meditation pillow. I thought yoga and meditation was for disciplined people who had to go through uncomfortable positions and backpain to reach enlightenment. How could I reach enlightenment when my attention is distracted because of discomfort? That obviously didn't work well and doesn't last long.
I moved to meditating on my bed, now I sit there cross legged, one foot inside against the upper leg of the other leg and the other leg folding inside too (not above or under eachother). My bed is against the wall and I sit in front of the wall with my pillow in my back. It's incredible at a certain point during my practice how comfy and stable the position becomes and I just sortof sink into it .

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2007 :  6:25:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zelebe
It's incredible at a certain point during my practice how comfy and stable the position becomes and I just sortof sink into it .

Ahhhhh!!!!!
Thank you for sharing that Zelebe... How true. When I first read Yogani's lessons.. and he said
quote:
Find a quiet, comfortable place where you can sit, preferably with
back support. We want to remove unnecessary distractions. Just sit
and relax somewhere where you can close your eyes for twenty minutes
without interruptions.
Lesson 13 - Meditation -- Awakening the Silent Seed

I remember thinking.. this cant be right.. how can I meditate if I am not sitting in padmasana (lotus position) with my back straight??????
Till I did it .. and never wondered again.
Even now in my meditation group.. when I tell people to use back rest.. their first reaction is.. this cant be right... and then you have the others tell them.. Oh!!! you need to be comfy.. don't need unnecessary distractions during meditation...

Glad you are enjoying your meditation..

Edited by - Shanti on Jan 16 2007 6:29:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2007 :  10:00:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
An alternate position if you have back or knee problems, is using a "zafu" cushion (look on ebay). it's a hard, buckwheat filled cushion, and you sit with your butt on the cushion with your back straight, and cross-legged knees off the cushion. So your knees are
lower than your butt. This forces the natural curve in your lower back and you'll sit straight without any effort. It's comfortable also.
Your knees should just barely touch something; folded blanket, "zabuton" cushion, etc.
It's good for sitting long periods.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000