AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Nameless I am
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nameless

23 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  6:20:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nameless's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message

The Name that can be named is not the true name.
Hence Nameless.

Hello people. I am new here so I think for me to give a simple introduction should be polite.

I am a student 24 years young and I am really interested in self development in any area.
I am a heavy reader and I buy a lot of self growth books.
I know this forum through my first AYP book... Deep Meditation.

It started when I was looking for a book on meditation on amazon.com
I always look for books with the best rating and i read reviews very carefully. Somehow this books is highly rated and interesting to hear comments that this book is a simple and practical how to and why meditation book.

Surprisingly this book reached me very late, 3 weeks after i ordered it.
I finish the whole book in one day.
and I started it that evening and continue to do so consistantly up till today.
I am glad that I benefit from this book. coincidently I read the wiki page on TM and find that they share a lot of similarities (2 x 20 min a day base on mantra) , other than that expensive initiating ritual.

I can best describe myself as Buddhist in spirituality, Taoist in Energy work and I think I am yogi in terms of meditation since I find myself click with Yoganis method.

My core energy work is called NEW Energy Ways by Robert bruce.
It is very similar to Microcosmic Orbit as the energy rise and fall through the same energy pathways except that it draws energy from the limbs and store it in the lower dantian. no looping though.

I also do some exercises thanks to information avvailable online. Hopefully we can share more of such experiences :)

I admit that I am not a perfect person and I wish I can improve. I admit I have problems with my ego and hopefully I can release it.

My long term goal is to reach enlightenment (be the buddha)

I am also looking forward to learn xingyiquan and baguazhang as my martial arts in the future.

Nice to meet you people

I hope everyone will have a pleasant experience on this forum ^_^

LOVE

Hunter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  6:37:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hunter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A hearty welcome to Nameless,
I love your goal, it's the best.
Enjoy the forum!

Hunter
Go to Top of Page

trip1

USA
739 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  7:26:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit trip1's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum Nameless!

Namaste,
Brett
Go to Top of Page

Thokar

USA
45 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  7:52:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thokar's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
welcome nameless,

It's nice to hear about people wanting to study Xing Yi Quan.... I've been practicing Xing Yi for quite a while, and its by far my favorite martial art.. Im sure you will enjoy it also...

Best of luck
Go to Top of Page

Hunter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  9:55:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hunter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have had a recent interest in martial arts and know nothing about it. What is Xing Yi Quan? What is "baguazhang"?
Go to Top of Page

Thokar

USA
45 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  10:30:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thokar's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi hunter,

Xing Yi Quan is translated as mind-form boxing or intent-form boxing.. Its a style of martial art that trains internal energy as well as external energy in its fighting elements.. its somewhat rare to find in the united states but if you can find a teacher nearby then it is a very worthwhile experience..Xing Yi traditionally has 5 element fists and 12 animal styles...

Ba Gua Zhang is translated as Eight trigram palms.. Its another internal martial art that utilizes exceptional footwork and palm strikes as its primary style of fighting... It is also directly related to many taoist practices being as it was developed by a taoist monk to be a form of moving meditation so to speak.. It's also somewhat rare to find in the united states but once again if you do find a teacher it is well worth it..

If you have any more questions about these styles or martial arts in general feel free to ask..
Go to Top of Page

Doc

USA
394 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  11:12:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Doc's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Greetings Nameless!

Welcome aboard. I hope you enjoy your time here at this Forum. It's one of the best on Internet, IMO.

I, too, am very interested in the Chinese Internal Martial Arts. I have been practicing Old Yang Style Tai-Chi Chuan/Tai-Ji Quan, Sun Lu-Tang Style Pa-Kua Chang/Ba-Gua Jang, and Shansi Hsing-Yi Chuan/Xing-Yi Quan for over 40 years time to date, and have taught these arts for nearly 32 years since receiving my Master of Five Excellences Certificate in 1975. You may find some of the information and discussion on these arts at the following site of interest to you.

http://www.shenmentao.com/forum/

Warm regards ~

Doc
Go to Top of Page

Nameless

23 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  02:33:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nameless's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
wow thanks for succh warm replies.
Yeah I agree with Doc. I have read quite some threads on this forum and find there is no throlling/spamming. The mods move some of my thread in a short period of time and everything seems productive and peaceful. Really nice to see an internal martial artist veteran like you on the forum. too bad it is not easy to find bagua and xing yi teachers around.

I will like to add that I am also interested to be psychic and spiritually well developed.
I read that many psychics emphasis on chakras and meditation,
that is why I plan to focus on 3 areas to reach my goal :

1. Meditation
2. Energy body building
since Taoist system has strong foundation in building chi I will go with Taoism for this one. There are over 3000++ kinds of QiGong in the world, some are new (spring forrest, qinway). some has specific purposes like fighting cancer (zhineng, guolin), some are for martial arts (iron shirt) and so on and some can be quite harmful (chi pecking) so it is important to choose the right system of energy building. IMO the best is a series of exercises that overlaps the least and covers the most areas of benefit (for eg a mix of sexual, martial, circulating and purifying qigong)
3. Chakra
I am still new to it. there are stuffs I read like stimulating, balancing, clearing etc. many chakras above and below our bodies etc. I am waiting for my chakra book soon :D

Talking about energy work, is yoga complimentary to qigong?
well, even within qigong systems sometimes we need to be careful. It is harmful if uncompatible exercises are mixed togather, even in the same system. I read some people do two qigong exercises in wrong sequence, something like storing chi in dantian and then move chi to elsewhere and end up the chi goes chaotic and some people even vomit blood. I think I have to agree with driving only one car to the destination, not many cars at the same time.
We need to choose a synergetic combo, not destructive ones.

I am also doing a kind of QiGong called opening the gates of energy body (you can get the book on amazon, writen by BK Frantzis, an expert in both yoga and Taoist art)
and I find it synergetic with other works like meditation.
By focusing the awareness on body, blockage is melted and the body is further activated and I find it very helpful in dealing with shoulder and spinal blockage that cause a lot of pain. (heating, ice melts into water, and then water convert into steam)

Talking about Xing Xi and Bagua there is a reason for me to choose these 2 systems.

I was studying martial arts, trying to pick the best systems for myself (no such thing as the best but something that suits me)
I even got a thick martial arts book for this purpose.
After surfing around the forums,
some people think that chinese martial arts is useless and defendless in real street fight, some people suggest a combo of brazilian jujitsu + Muay Thai (IMO they are compitition oriented) and so on.
I find that it is best having a balance between internal and external skills in martial arts.
so I find besides having the skills in grappling (works well for small guys agains big enemies), wrestling (counter well agains the iron muay thai fighters), Dim Mak and iron QiGong,
learning xing yi and bagua is really good strategy.
(history has shown records of winning combat for these 2 systems)

I have read history of real life chinese heroes who fought (and defeated) muscular western bullies and Japanese warriors and many of them use xing yi and ba gua (Sun Lu Tang included). For anti Japanese war purpose, xing yi is applied by the military.

why a combo of xing yi and ba gua?

xing yi :
soft internally, hard externally (like a beetle)
and the strikes are fairly linear (point A to point B) and fatal

ba Gua :
soft externally, hard internally
and the movements are circular.
the performer moves like a shadow and quickly appear behind the opponent and strike the neck of the enemy.

so there is a balance of 2 different styles

There was a legendary fight between the founder of bagua zhang (dong hai chuan) against a xing xi expert (guo yin shen) who is famous in using one style in xing yi to fatally defeat his enemies.
They fought and it was a tie (some say dong won at the end)
both masters have great respect for each other so xing yi and ba gua become strong aliance and sometimes both systems are merged as xingyibagua or baguaxingyi.

it is said that there is a movie made base on this legendary bagua VS xing yi fight. you can watch it on this video.
notice how the bagua user flips and suddenly aoppear behind that xing yi fighter and stike on his neck.
The xing yi fighter use a linear double punch to give strong impact on the bagua fighter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP6SYSOx5tw

thanks and have fun ^_^

LOVE

Edited by - Nameless on Jan 10 2007 04:59:05 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000