Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Dealing with Purification
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gray

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2007 :  5:37:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit gray's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
When doing our meditation and we drift off the mantra into, for example, a dreamlike state filled with images, we eventually notice we've drifted off the mantra and so gently return to it. This is fine. Some of the stuff thrown up by this process can be fairly emotionally charged, and even though we don't reflect on it whilst in the meditation, a clear memory of the previously subconscious content can remain after the meditation.

I have two questions regarding this:

1. Can we expect this process to throw up all previously forgotten/repressed material?
2. Do we need to be concerned with dealing with material thus raised in any other way than sticking to the regular meditation practice?

Say for example, I find that a memory of a long forgotten event comes up, and that I find myself dwelling on this throughout the rest of the day...

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2007 :  9:05:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Gray,

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you have read the lessons through and have a good understanding of the process of meditation. From my experience, the process of meditation and the physical house cleaning that we are engaging in leaves "no stone unturned" as they say. I am sure there are all kinds of memories that we will not become conscious of but if there are some emotionally charged experiences in your life that you did not want to face, I would not be surprised if one would be given the opportunity later on to understand and accept some things we may have wanted to avoid looking at in the past.

Keep in mind these previously forgotten materials are stored in your biological computer of a body, so even if you are not conscious of it, it is having an impact on you on some level or another. Facing something difficult brings much freedom if we allow it to and can be the source of profound openings in our nervous system when we clear them out. To me this is something to look forward to!

Do we need to be concerned with an issue that surfaces which preoccupies our minds after practices? Not concerned no, will it work itself out in time if we just let it? Yes, I believe most times it will unless we inadvertently "refuel" it by resisting it all over again. When things "re-surface" and we find ourselves reliving a past memory, it is the stored emotional issue letting off "steam" (or energy if you prefer). Again, if we look at it with our full awareness and allow it to play itself out, we have the opportunity to gain freedom from it more quickly rather than putting it off. In short, it is good opportunity for self-enquiry.

Hope this helps,

Best of luck,

A
Go to Top of Page

Mike

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2007 :  04:51:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Gray & Anthem

Great Q and great A - its so good I have copied it to a friend

Just wanted to give you some +ve feedback and thanks

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2007 :  12:10:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes indeed, a very good reply Andrew.

Gray, if you'd be interested you can read up a bit on self Inquiry here Self-Inquiry -- A Practice Between our Meditations..
Go to Top of Page

blujett8

USA
47 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2007 :  3:49:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi gray...

this topic has been extra relevant for me recently...two night ago I had a series of dreams wherein I witnessed events that represent some of my biggest issues...by big burritos, as some may say....then last night I had a very profound and powerful dream wherein I started out waterskiing with my brother and ended up skiing right into outerspace where I confronted some huge fears..nothing short of terrifying......I awakened with a great feeling of openess and expanse in my heart area. Both of these experinces, i feel , were from my meditation practices....and both made very big impacts on my day.....I acknowledged them when they came up (constantly..or nearly so) allowed without indulging or following associated storylines....and most of all....and hardest for me....is that I allowed the associated emotions without judging them or feeling like I was perpetuating something undesirable by letting myself feel terrible for a day or two.....
Heather
Go to Top of Page

gray

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  11:43:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit gray's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts so lucidly Andrew, much appreciated. What you have written makes good sense to me.

I was unaware of this subject of "Self-Inquiry" or Jnana yoga so thanks for the pointers on those. Thanks also for that link Shanti, after reading through that forum I understand that, on balance, it's probably best to hold off on Self Inquiry until a firm basis in inner silence is established. I guess I will trust myself to the meditation practise itself, and look forward to Yogani's new book on Self Inquiry next year. :-)

Gray
Go to Top of Page

Mike

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  2:04:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by gray
I understand that, on balance, it's probably best to hold off on Self Inquiry until a firm basis in inner silence is established.

Hey gray - you are are a wise guy in the literal meaning of the phrase ... I have come across plenty of people who have started the self-enquiry thing without some still point ... just seems to spiral outwards and outwards with not just no termination but ever increasing proliferation of doubts, uncertainties, views, opinions, desires, repressions, expressions, anxieties - you name it
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000