Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Kriya and AYP, again
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Magne

Norway
17 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2006 :  10:26:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Magne's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi
As I have mentioned before, I am a Kriyaban.
I want to know if any of you are practicing Kriya and AYP at the same time?
I know it has many things in common, but..
Please tell me about your sadhana and how you combine it.
I have seen a couple of SRF members here, and would like to know how you do it. What about for example Etherfish? Someone asked you if you continued Kriya together with your AYP, but I could not find an answer..
IDF
Magne

Thokar

USA
45 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2006 :  11:35:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thokar's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi magne,
I think i responded to a post of yours over on the yogananda.net board before.... but anyways... I'm a kriyaban and my primary practice is kriya and the higher kriyas.. however I have practiced some of the ayp techniques and I think they are also very good, and don't contradict with the techniques of the kriya lineage, there is especially very very useful information on doing kechari mudra here that I havent been able to find anywhere else, in fact if it wasnt for the instructions on it I probably wouldn't have been able to get into kechari yet... The "I am" mantra seems like a pretty good meditation by itself, and the spinal breathing technique is very very similar to 1st kriya... the only thing I dont agree with on this site is their recommendation as to the ammount of time for practice... 2 20 min sessions a day isn't nearly enough for my personal tastes I prefer more like 2 2 hour sessions or so... but all in all I think the ayp teachings have alot to offer for anyone wanting to learn more and deepen their own practices...
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2006 :  1:34:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Magne and Thokar

This has been discussed in the following thread
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....hTerms=kriya

Louis
Go to Top of Page

Magne

Norway
17 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2006 :  1:34:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Magne's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sparkle
Thanks, I have read it earlier, but I think the discussion there were about a different subject. Except for some of them, for example Ranger's comment on his better results from 1 month AYP vs 20 years of SRF.. That got me thinking when I read it a "long" time ago, I could not just overlook that. So I had to start reading all these lessons too. Like I did not have more than enough from before, with lessons coming in the mail, one lesson per week, so much practice etc.. haha..

Hi Thokar
I actually sent you a personal message on the other forum, with my email adress etc. Maybe it did not make it?
Anyway, are you still with Ananda? Why did you choose them instead of SRF? You say that your primary practice is Kriya, and you have tried AYP.. Does this mean that you don't practice AYP anymore?

I found these AYP pages when searching for Kechari info, after reading some of Norman Paulsen's material, and many other books about Kriya.
The same goes with the kriyayogainfo-book, which I have recommended on several other pages.
I believe I was lead here..
I hope to hear from more of you. Especially from SRF background,
like myself..
Have you abandoned your techniques altogether? Or just replaced some, like Hong Sau with I AM, Aum, Maha Mudra, etc.. ???
What about you, Ranger?

God Jul!
(=)
Merry Christmas!
Magne

Edited by - Magne on Dec 23 2006 1:51:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

Thokar

USA
45 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2006 :  2:11:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thokar's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi magne, no i didn't get any personal message on the other board and honestly im not quite sure how to even check for pm's on that board...lol to answer your questions, i don't really consider myself affiliated with ananda anymore... i receieved 1st kriya from them a few years ago when i was brand new on the path and didnt even know there was a such thing as srf... to me my own individual practice is more important than an affiliation to any organization, in this way I guess I'm more like the hindus than the americans lol.. as far as what practices i use... I discarded hong-sau and aum technique.... hong-sau didnt do much for me and neither did aum.... I never even began hearing inner sounds until I began practicing Lahiri Mahasaya's Omkar kriya.... I tried the ayp techniques just out of curiosity but Ive found that for me anyways the 1st kriya and higher kriyas give me the best results... when it comes to techniques and loyalties I like to use a famous saying by Bruce Lee..."Absorb that which is useful, discard that which is useless, and develop that which is uniquely your own"
Go to Top of Page

Magne

Norway
17 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2006 :  2:56:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Magne's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Thokar
Just take a look at the top right, PM, you have to be logged in. Click on the small letters up there.

I agree with you:
"to me my own individual practice is more important than an affiliation to any organization".. This is exactly why I kept on searching for more. I have not tried the higher Kriyas yet, but I will in time. As I wrote on the other board, be careful so you don't burn up, like in "the Secrets of Wilder". I don't think it's healthy to do 700 Kriyas in one session, like you said you did.
It takes many years to get to that point I think.

And I must add, I am a man who stand by his words. I am referring to my guru-disciple relationship. You had to pledge, to get Kriya in the first place. What happened to that? Did you discard Yogananda also?

I know that "the guru is in you", but so is everything else
IDF
Magne
Go to Top of Page

Thokar

USA
45 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2006 :  3:29:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thokar's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi magne, I still don't see any PM on any of the pages even tho Im logged in.... kinda strange, but anyways... when I said I did 700 kriyas in a session that is because I follow the vertical process that Lahiri Mahasaya instructed his disciples in before they received higher initiations... One day a week you take whichever kriya you are on and start at 36x2..36x3..36x4.. and each week increase until eventually you get to 36x36.. this takes time but its recommended as a once weekly practice... once the vertical process for each kriya is completed then a student is eligible for the next initation... Also as far the pledge is concerned, I don't feel I've broken it... I felt a close relationship to Yogananda long before I made the pledge and also have felt very close to Lahiri Mahasaya and Babaji.. Just because I'm not bound to an organization doesn't mean that I'm not still bound to my Guru's...Even though most organizations will try to make you think otherwise...
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2006 :  5:40:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Magne said:
And I must add, I am a man who stand by his words. I am referring to my guru-disciple relationship. You had to pledge, to get Kriya in the first place. What happened to that? Did you discard Yogananda also?

What on earth is this pledge? I mean, surely it doesn't bound Thokar to any guru in an exclusive or permanent way?
Go to Top of Page

Magne

Norway
17 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2006 :  12:25:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Magne's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Thokar
Yes, I know about the vertical process.. But I don't think I am ready for all those Kriyas yet, and I can't see why you are ready either, you said you got Kriya a few years ago. I am not judging you, maybe you are super advanced for all I know. We don't know where we stand from previous incarnations of practice, so..
Do you follow everything in the kriyayogainfobook?
Did you cut the frenum? Or just making slow and steady progress with Talabya Kriya? You know that Lahiri Mahasaya told people NOT to cut..
What else do you practice if not "only" by that book?

"Just because I'm not bound to an organization doesn't mean that I'm not still bound to my Guru's" Thank you for that, just what I was fishing for, that is my opinion also.
David:
I can't write the whole pledge here, but..
You accept Yogananda as your guru, and Jesus Christ, Bhagavan Krishna, Mahavatar Babaji, Lahiri Mahasaya, Swami Sri Yukteswar as your paramgurus.
"I will practice Kriya Yoga faithfully and regurlarly to the best of my ability" etc..
IDF
Magne

Edited by - Magne on Dec 24 2006 02:18:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

sparkyfoxMD

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2006 :  06:57:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit sparkyfoxMD's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Magne
I too am a kriyaban and took the SRF pledge. It served me well for a while but I found the organisation too limiting. In particular I wanted to know about kechari mudra...why wasn't it taught? No one would answer my questions.
After a while I severed the strings, after much soul searching., but still retained a great fondness for kriya, and when I found AYP I couldn't believe my luck. All my questions were answered and I could now practise and still follow my own heart. And why not? This is what my teacher Ratu Bagus urged me to do. "You are your own Guru". And Yogani's "The Guru is in you" just reaffirmed that.
So now I practise with Ratu and follow the meditation of AYP, which suits me perfectly. At my own pace, in my own time. All a Guru wants for us anyway is for us to be in the Light; to find the Light for ourselves, and bathe in the nbeauty of our own Being, and having found that, radiating it to all around to help them find theirs.

The Guru Disciple relationship is truly within; don't get anxious about your pledge. Your real pledge is from your heart to yourself.

In My Humble Opinion.
God Bless; Happy Christmas to all; may the Light shine on you all.

The Guru is truly in You.
Go to Top of Page

Thokar

USA
45 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2006 :  11:44:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thokar's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi magne, to answer your questions, yes i pretty much do practice most of the stuff from the kriyayogainfo book, i don't do some of his preliminary practices that he added in himself like nadi sodhana, om japa, etc.. I do practice all the techniques that were given by lahiri mahasaya, including navi kriya, talabya, omkar pranayama instead of regular pranayama, and am now practicing the thokar kriyas... as far as kechari goes.... i practiced talabya kriya for a couple weeks and still couldnt get into kechari and upon finding this site and reading all the info on kechari i was considering cutting the frenum... but before I did I read an interesting article or post of the forum(can't remember which) which basically said that when u can push the tongue behind the uvula, to Push Forward instead of up, when doing this you should feel the elastic tendon and by pushing forward this slips under the tongue and kind of holds it in place and then you are suddenly in kechari.... I had never read this before and I always tried to push the tongue straight up instead of forward so it never stayed... Once I read this I immediately tried it and got into kechari quite easily...I was extremely grateful for that info, because all the stuff I had read from ananda on kechari never explained it that way, and if I hadnt read that article I might still not be in kechari yet... As for how many kriyas I practice, I was given permission early on from ananda to do alot of kriyas in the first place...I've heard srf makes you wait like 6 months before increasing from 14-24.... after 6 months ananda told me that it would be good to do 108 kriyas twice daily... so I've been doing at least that many for quite a while... so really the vertical processes weren't that much more than what I had been doing in my daily practice anyway...However the vertical processes for the higher kriyas aren't as much... the Thokar kriya you only increase that a few repetitions daily until you get to 200 in a session and the 3d kriya (thokar variation) you only do 1 repetition..I haven't begun practicing the 4th kriya yet and I will probably wait a while until I do so that I can develop a higher level of skill with the Thokar kriya...But suffice it to say, I've made more progress with these techniques (omkar,Thokar with kechari)in about 1 1/2 months than I've made during the last year or so doing just standard 1st kriya without kechari...
Go to Top of Page

gentlep

USA
114 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  5:12:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thokar,

I have a question about the Thokar practice in Kriyayogainfo.net book, as you are doing the practice from that book. In that technique, the head is always rotated from left to right several rounds but never from right to left. Doesn't that create imbalance in the neck. As opposed to the chinpump in ayp where the head is rotated both ways. Or do you do equal number of opposite rotation of the head after the practice, especially when you do the vertical one with 200 rotations from left to right.
Go to Top of Page

Thokar

USA
45 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  8:25:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thokar's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
gentlep,

The Thokar practice in the kriyayogainfo.net book has several stages or variations... The first stage has the head going in 1 rotation from left to right in a complete circle-this is the preliminary practice... The traditional thokar kriya is the practice where the head makes like a zig zag type motion... the head goes to the left then rolls back(pauses for a moment) rolls to the right then zig zags across the chest to the left then zig zags back to the center during the downward strike...This is called the movement of Trivanagamurari.. translated meaning- triple curve movement... The one thing that is the same in all of the thokar techniques is that the path of the actual strike is from the left side going diagonally towards the center where the strike is made.. With a lot of practice put into it occasional injuries do occur, such as pulled muscles underneath the shoulder blade.. I suppose this is normal for anyone who puts in a lot of practice with those techniques.. I've never noticed any discomfort in the neck however, even with the strike coming from the same angle everytime..

But basically to answer your question, the strike is always done from left to right.. The reason for this is that the Trivanagamurari current comes in from that angle and by using that angle with the strike it strengthens the current and enables you to actually feel the curve motion.. Later this curve motion is manifested in each individual chakra-a micro-movement.. That is one reason I believe emphasis on chanting in each chakra during pranayama is given, to prepare the student to perceive the trivanagamurari within each chakra...
Go to Top of Page

adishivayogi

USA
197 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2014 :  1:31:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
srf kriya is inefficient. you do not encounter the ajna knot, no khecari, omkar does not become present for many who do srf. i bring prana str thru the head by going from 5th to bindu v. i become immersed in omkar.

Edited by - adishivayogi on Apr 24 2014 5:45:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2014 :  4:45:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000