Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Blind walk
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2006 :  10:58:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I know AYP recommends walking as a fabulous grounding technique. But I always have resisted walking. Yesterday, late evening, I mustered initiative and went for a walk with a bunch of family. They were having fun, and were walking with their eyes closed, navigating by the instructions given by us.

When I decided to join them, I could hardly walk. Kept feeling that I'm going to fall. Even when my partner held my hand and told me to run, I kept pulling back. I was the only one unable to walk confidently with my eyes closed. My legs became like jelly, and I jarred so much, that I got a backache. This really shook me up.

My partner said that it pointed to my inability to 'let go' of myself. I don't know... because I find it easy to do a log fall, if someone is going to catch me. So it mayn't be an issue of trust. I'm going to try this every evening till I can walk blind on instructions... But can anyone say what this is?

Edited by - sadhak on Dec 08 2006 10:59:38 PM

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2006 :  01:05:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by sadhak

I know AYP recommends walking as a fabulous grounding technique. But I always have resisted walking. Yesterday, late evening, I mustered initiative and went for a walk with a bunch of family. They were having fun, and were walking with their eyes closed, navigating by the instructions given by us.

When I decided to join them, I could hardly walk. Kept feeling that I'm going to fall. Even when my partner held my hand and told me to run, I kept pulling back. I was the only one unable to walk confidently with my eyes closed. My legs became like jelly, and I jarred so much, that I got a backache. This really shook me up.

My partner said that it pointed to my inability to 'let go' of myself. I don't know... because I find it easy to do a log fall, if someone is going to catch me. So it mayn't be an issue of trust. I'm going to try this every evening till I can walk blind on instructions... But can anyone say what this is?

Hello & Namaste, Sadhak.

I'm guessing the answer is simplicity itself:

While, yes, walking is a marvelous grounding technique -- the inability to stay balanced while walking with our eyes closed, simply indicates (in my experience) being ungrounded.

And for anyone who is unfamiliar with the term "grounded" - it basically means to have energy balanced throughout the body - so that you feel solidly "here" in physical reality - and in your body. Sri Ganesha - the deity with the elephant's head and the stocky male human body - is one of the primary yogic symbols of "groundedness".

And this is a symbol which is closely tied to reality - for Sri Ganesha is connected with the first (base / root) chakra -- which is also connected with the Earth element (so, if your energy is largely in your lower chakras, you'll be "grounded" for sure -- but being unbalanced in that direction isn't desirable, either.)

Because Sadhakas (not just the one I'm responding to ... ) are not used to having a lot of energy in their upper chakras -- becoming "ungrounded" in connection with yoga practice is extremely common -- in fact, probably the norm - especially if anything involving direct energy movement (spinal breathing, other pranayama, tantric practices, etc.) is involved.

The best tools I know for becoming "grounded" (if you find yourself "ungrounded" -- flighty feeling, "brain scrambled", giddy, or possibly a little unbalanced, in exactly the way Sadhak describes - are:

1. Eat a heavy meal

Whatever is heavy for you -- it can still be nutritious. Or, it can be some pizza and a bowl of ice cream .... the idea is to help bring your awareness "back to Earth".

2. Do something sensual

This can be sexual, but certainly does not have to be. Get and/or give a massage. Wrestle with a dog (your own is probably best). Drum. Dance. "All of the above". Fingerpaint. Make some mud pies (Please Note: finding a local pre-school age child, and inciting them to join you will be fun for both you and the child, and will help to keep your neighbors more comfortable, and less likely to contact the authorities. )

3. Use the brilliant mind of yours ....

Take a few moments (sitting, if possible) to consciously draw your attention and energy to your lower chakras. Kind of like spinal breathing, but with *just* the visualization of your energy flowing downward toward the base of your spine.

4. Feel your body

Sure, "like that", if you want .... but I'm referring more to "from the inside". Sit - feel your butt on the ground (or chair, but for this exercise, ground is probably better, with outside ground / earth being best.) Feel the life energy in your feet and legs.

NOTE: This kind of rolls into one of my "long-style" posts from this point -- so if you're not interested in discussion on mantras and/or how the idea of embodiment relates to groundedness -- there's no reason to read the rest of this.

HOWEVER - In reading it over, it seems like some of that info could be helpful to some readers / forum members -- so, I'll leave it in, in case.

And, last but not least ...........

5. Call in the Experts (aka "Jai Sri Ganesha"!)

If you're so inclined, an invocation to Sri Ganesha - or just visualizing him and his solidity, can be helpful.

A standard invocation to Sri Ganesha is:

Aum Gam Ganapataye Namaha

And please note - the "A" in Aum is pronounced "Uh", the "u" is pronounced "oo", and all the other "a"s are pronounced "uh" as well, as in:

Uh-oo-m Gum Guh-nuh-puh-tuh-yay Nuh-muh-huh

And I have no idea why Sanskrit is transliterated to English exactly as it is -- it may just represent the best options available, with the tools at hand.

However, from reading the mantra above in its native Devanagari, hearing songs and audio files containing this mantra, and hearing it said / chanted by people who are native Indian language speakers, and who speak Sanskrit in their homes .... the pronunciation above in correct.

The only reason I go into all this is that correct pronunciation is VERY important, in terms of getting optimal energetic effects.

And PLEASE NOTE:

I know that in AYP, there's often a bit of a "cultural thing", in terms of feeling like we might break out in hives and/or leprosy, and/or have our heads explode, if we get within ten feet of a mantra that is not "I am" or one of its modifications.

This is because Yogani has done a rather thorough (and needed!) job of emphasizing the potential dangers and energetic dilution which can come from getting "mantra happy".

However, I would think that chanting the invocation above for a minute or two, to help with grounding, would not be a problem (I do it, but I brought a wealth of intensive mantra yoga practice with me to AYP - AND - I largely stay within the recommendations of AYP; I just augment a bit at times, per this suggestion -- which is more of a useful tool than a practice extension, in my experience - AND - I certainly defer to any thoughts that Yogani has, on this item.)

Final Note:

Certain yogic paths point largely toward transcendence - transcending the physical -- and even the masters on those paths can be ungrounded much of the time (Example: Sri Ramakrishna, when he would spontaneously enter higher Samadhi states, and need to be assisted walking, etc.)

Nothing wrong with that, but if your occupation is anything other than "Globally Revered Holy Person", it might get a bit impractical, at points.

Other paths - Tantra, Ch'an (Zen) Buddhism, etc. - tend to be much more about coming full circle -- realizing the transcendent, and then embodying (hence the term "embodiment" often used in Buddhism) the whole shebang (all the knowledge and experience of realization) into a regular (yet awake) human life - where one is grounded and present - always.

Adyashanti says this very well:

"Enlightenment is not about freedom from being human; it's about freedom to be fully human."

(And he's easily the most grounded human being I have ever seen; the only others who seem close, who I've been in the same room with, are some very advanced martial arts masters.)

I would guess that those who are big on "being present" (Eckhart Tolle, Byron Katie) are likely quite grounded - but never having been with them in person, I can't say -- Eckhart seems that way, on his DVDs, though.

As always, I hope this is helpful.

Peace & Namaste,

Kirtanman
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2006 :  02:55:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting topic.

I can get the very same feeling - jelly legged - when walking down a stair carrying something that blocks my view of the steps. However, if I walk down a stair and close my eyes, I do not get the same fear. It is just when I carry something.

Walking with eyes closed, however, was something I tried not so long ago. Without company and instructions. Just fixated my eyes on a tree or something say 50 meters away and lay an intention of walking straight to that point. Then closed my eyes and walked in normal speed with firm steps. It worked very well every time. I landed right in front of the tree and stopped on pure intuition in time before I hit the tree.
Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2006 :  06:51:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Kirtanman,
Thanks for all that insight. When you say it is lack of grounding and nothing else, though it seems obvious to you, I'm apt to go, "really?"

As for the dieties, including Ganapati, I find myself unable to vibe with them even though I've seen them around home and everywhere else since childhood. And I've been instructed often on what these energies are, yet I don't connect with them. So I've left trying. I've been through mantras (used sparingly, only when I am deemed ready to even utter them, and pronounced correctly, or else...). It is funny you should say that the Shri Ganesh jaap should make me feel grounded, because the first time I was permitted to chant them, I felt myself take off.

Emc, that's how it should be, in my view... your state of awareness. you stop short of bumping into things. Your internal awareness should be more acute when you are practising yoga. So, good for you. I kept feeling I was going to crash into things even though the road was without any traffic or passers by.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2006 :  01:35:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I used to feel like that, and used to practice this to get rid of that feeling:
I would go walking in an open area. I would count steps as I walked. First i counted just five steps, and would close my eyes on "one", and open them for "2,3,4,5", and repeat.
Then I closed them for "one, two", and so on, increasing it as much as I could. then I counted to ten, then twenty, etc.
Pretty soon I was opening my eyes as quickly as possible, and closing them again, like a camera shutter, and walking for 20 or 30 steps. I would try to memorize as much as possible, then walk through my memory.

I have no idea why I did this exercise! I just felt like it was something I wanted to learn.
Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2006 :  08:37:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Etherfish,
This sounds like a better starting technique than blundering madly for a few steps and then freezing up. Thanks. I don't know either why I want to master it. Just felt I ought to. Actually, haven't made much headway in doing a regular practice, since I chuck walking at the slightest excuse.
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2006 :  02:50:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Hello Kirtanman,
Thanks for all that insight. When you say it is lack of grounding and nothing else, though it seems obvious to you, I'm apt to go, "really?"

As for the dieties, including Ganapati, I find myself unable to vibe with them even though I've seen them around home and everywhere else since childhood. And I've been instructed often on what these energies are, yet I don't connect with them. So I've left trying. I've been through mantras (used sparingly, only when I am deemed ready to even utter them, and pronounced correctly, or else...). It is funny you should say that the Shri Ganesh jaap should make me feel grounded, because the first time I was permitted to chant them, I felt myself take off.

Emc, that's how it should be, in my view... your state of awareness. you stop short of bumping into things. Your internal awareness should be more acute when you are practising yoga. So, good for you. I kept feeling I was going to crash into things even though the road was without any traffic or passers by.

Hi Sadhak,

I understand (and appreciate) your response --- I certainly don't mean to come off as passing along my "ultra-simple" diagnosis from afar -- there could actually be a "zillion" reasons or sub-reasons for your experience .... that's why I was careful to say "in my experience" -- meaning my own, and that of a few people I've done similar exercises with, personally.

And I "get", very sincerely, what you're saying about Sri Ganesha - it would be similar to someone suggesting to me, that I chant the name of a Catholic Saint (the "deities" I grew up with) -- when I would have literally a lifetime of conditioning surrounding that method of spiritual exercise.

However, in the West (and I believe, in India, also) it is often emphasized how the vibrations associated with given deities are allegedy universal (meaning: cultural conditioning isn't supposed to really affect the result -- at its essence, a given mantra is designed to have a given neuro-physiological effect.)

And I'm certainly not doubting your report in any way at all - I just find it interesting, since "Ganesha energy" is supposed to be so grounding.

Personally, I've tended to have more "textbook" responses to given mantras -- but that could certainly be based on conditioning / expectation, itself (and I mention all this here, because "mantric science", overall is certainly a key, important part of many people's yogic lives -- and as always, hopefully we can all learn and grow together by exchanging useful information.)

Have you tried any of the overall suggestions? (Not just mine)

If so, anything new to report?

(I'm just genuinely interested to know if you've discovered anything further, per your initial post in this thread.)

Peace & Namaste,

Kirtanman

Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2006 :  06:23:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kirtanman,
Sorry, didn't read this post of yours. Actually, if I'm not on for a day or two, I lose track of my last post (though I know if you click your id and look you'll see all the latest ones)... I get caught up in reading new ones, and then suddenly I've spent very long on the forum and I rush off to finish whatever I'd left hanging.

I know that the dieties or energies are supposed to have an universal effect... could be my own blocks, no?

As far as your having textbook responses is concerned, it may be conditioning as you say, but could also be that you are open to the energies fully. I have come across people who are ready and do have text book responses to mantras, kriyas, etc. I'd think that's a pretty good thing you've got going for you.

The progress with the blind walk... ? I dropped walking altogether, since the past week (with a little help from the cold weather), and am pretending to look for 'easier' grounding options like falun gong (some people here were discussing tai chi as a good add on).

But now that I read your post, I'm looking at resolving to walk and blind walk again. The fallen Sadhaka will rise, shake dust off the fur, and put a step forward yet again. Thankum. Then I'll post here before this yellows and falls by my side.

Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  05:21:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Hi Kirtanman,
Sorry, didn't read this post of yours. Actually, if I'm not on for a day or two, I lose track of my last post (though I know if you click your id and look you'll see all the latest ones)... I get caught up in reading new ones, and then suddenly I've spent very long on the forum and I rush off to finish whatever I'd left hanging.

I know that the dieties or energies are supposed to have an universal effect... could be my own blocks, no?

As far as your having textbook responses is concerned, it may be conditioning as you say, but could also be that you are open to the energies fully. I have come across people who are ready and do have text book responses to mantras, kriyas, etc. I'd think that's a pretty good thing you've got going for you.

The progress with the blind walk... ? I dropped walking altogether, since the past week (with a little help from the cold weather), and am pretending to look for 'easier' grounding options like falun gong (some people here were discussing tai chi as a good add on).

But now that I read your post, I'm looking at resolving to walk and blind walk again. The fallen Sadhaka will rise, shake dust off the fur, and put a step forward yet again. Thankum. Then I'll post here before this yellows and falls by my side.

Hey Sadhak,

Cool update - and cool writing style - "Thankum" - I love it!

Glad you're finding the forum "motivational" -- and sincerely: good luck - "Tell us ... how you .... do!" (<--- line from some old comedy movie. Or a Van Halen video.)

Peace & Namaste,

Kirtanman

PS - And all joking aside it - can be a challenging thing to succeed with - it seems like grounding needs to be in place ("ungrounded with eyes open" is bad enough, "ungrounded with eyes closed" -- more so -- and you're addressing that.

Beyond that, though - is there anything the helps to "unblind" you? Examples: Good balance in general, and "astral or spiritual vision" which helps you see where you're going with your eyes closed, and finally, and sense of "directional guidance" (I picture a yogic angel-type being gesturing with both arms, like when you park a truck - "THIS way .... THIIIIS way!"

And, if it doesn't work out so well, you can always go back to some of the more padmasana or siddhasana-based activities which are less likely to result in skinned knees .... (than "blind walking").

Good luck - and please do report in!

Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2006 :  9:44:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Cool update - and cool writing style - "Thankum" - I love it!

In that case, thankum, yet again.

quote:
Beyond that, though - is there anything the helps to "unblind" you? Examples: Good balance in general, and "astral or spiritual vision" which helps you see where you're going with your eyes closed, and finally, and sense of "directional guidance" (I picture a yogic angel-type being gesturing with both arms, like when you park a truck - "THIS way .... THIIIIS way!"

This did it. Last night I was compelled to walk to the shops, I closed my eyes. No angels sighted. But I saw a chain of violet lights. First I was delighted, and thought this might be an alternative red-yellow-green signal prototype. When the violet lights refused to change even when I almost fell over a speed breaker, I hurriedly took a leaf from Etherfish's advice and opened my eyes every now and then... and made it home.

I'll look out for these violets next time, and report if they evolve. But what motivational forums can't do, if not inspire the sadhaka to joyfully crash into trees and stray dogs!
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2006 :  04:41:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I remember a section from a book written by a swedish guy spending some years with Babaji. Babaji took him on walks in the forest during night. High tempo, no trails, just the order to walk fast and with firm steps. Babaji went first and he was supposed to follow. He stumbled and crashed often and thought it would almost kill him. Then Babaji says something like:

"You feel the cold whispering wind on your ears when you walk, don't you? It is cold. When you feel a warm stream of air on your ears you are on right track. Then just follow the warm stream and you'll be okey."

He started to walk, felt the warm strokes on his ear and as soon as he lost it he crashed. After a while he could keep the same tempo as Babaji.

I don't know if that was something only valid for that moment in this exercise with Babaji, but I just came to think of it...
Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2006 :  9:26:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Emc,
That sure was interesting. I suppose internal awareness must give some subtle indication on the physical level as well. This instance it sounded very Carlos Castaneda-ish. I'll watch out for the warm currents in my ear next time. Thank ye.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000